Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Darkrenown posted:

True, or we could slap "BETA SCREENSHOT - NOT FINAL" over everything, I thought people could be trusted to realise this and not waste time on it though.

I think everyone here DOES realize it. :shobon: Mocking paradox engrish is a long running, light hearted thread tradition stretching back years. It wouldn't change even if you all became Shakespeare overnight.

Getting worked up over it is just going to stress you for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

sometimes people are mean, and I think they should try being nice
Grimey Drawer
Is there any sort of formula that determines the success of your war justifications in VII, or is it just random?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
Darkrenown you should get your posts proof-read by Paradox PR because you're horrible at posting

If you were in a less Paradox-loving thread you'd be doing damage to your company with your lovely attitude

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Bold Robot posted:

I really really want EvW to be good, but seeing things like this makes me think that they're going down the HoI3 route of adding un-fun levels of detail.

Yeah, sadly, I suspect it will be a mess. I think it's a hard period to do, and the best way would probably be to pull back and make it a bit higher level and more abstract. Going down the crazy detail route just isn't going to end well. Despite what a lot(!) of developers and players seem to think it doesn't actually make the game or the RESULTS of the 'simulation' more accurate, it just gives the IMPRESSION that it could be.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

I think everyone here DOES realize it. :shobon: Mocking paradox engrish is a long running, light hearted thread tradition stretching back years. It wouldn't change even if you all became Shakespeare overnight.

If they did become Shakespeare overnight, it would be one more reason to mock their spelling. :v:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Patter Song posted:

If they did become Shakespeare overnight, it would be one more reason to mock their spelling. :v:

Point to Patter Song.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Cowcatcher posted:

Darkrenown you should get your posts proof-read by Paradox PR because you're horrible at posting

If you were in a less Paradox-loving thread you'd be doing damage to your company with your lovely attitude
I, for one, love how accessible the paradox devs are, and that we get actual responses instead of 'we appreciate your concern, Paradox Interactive strives to give the best gaming experience available.'

Also, the overly sensitive flame war posting style frankly fits in very well in this thread.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, sadly, I suspect it will be a mess. I think it's a hard period to do, and the best way would probably be to pull back and make it a bit higher level and more abstract. Going down the crazy detail route just isn't going to end well. Despite what a lot(!) of developers and players seem to think it doesn't actually make the game or the RESULTS of the 'simulation' more accurate, it just gives the IMPRESSION that it could be.

I was always iffy about the possibility of a good Cold War game to begin with - the complexities involved in modeling even one aspect of the Cold War is plenty to fuel any one game, let alone the whole shebang. East vs West just doesn't seem to be headed in the right direction to soothe those fears. This much detail on the military seems fitting for a war game, but a game that treats the Cold War like a war game isn't a game about the Cold War at all, it's a game about WW3.

Speaking of which, did anyone actually buy Supreme Ruler: Cold War? I remember trying the demo and thinking that it suffered from the exact same wargaming focus in a setting where the focus should be on the tightrope of diplomacy, politics and intrigue.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

esquilax posted:

I, for one, love how accessible the paradox devs are, and that we get actual responses instead of 'we appreciate your concern, Paradox Interactive strives to give the best gaming experience available.'

Also, the overly sensitive flame war posting style frankly fits in very well in this thread.

Yeah, I actually prefer how you guys actually talk to people as people, instead of as some weird corporate blob. It makes the thread really fun :3

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
This was interesting:
http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/65151/GRTV%3A+Crusader+Kings+Interview/

I hadn't seen it mentioned that technology was getting an overhaul in the Old Gods. Sounds good, the current system is very similar to the one in CK1 and, well... equally boring.

Also funny, because it looks like that video is using really, really, really old pre-release footage of the game, before the current portrait system went in.

Also, Johan hurt his hand. :(

Tomn posted:

Speaking of which, did anyone actually buy Supreme Ruler: Cold War? I remember trying the demo and thinking that it suffered from the exact same wargaming focus in a setting where the focus should be on the tightrope of diplomacy, politics and intrigue.

Never tried it, but it looked like another one where the developers mistook INSANE DETAIL AND COMPLEXITY for realism and fun.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

esquilax posted:

Sampatrick posted:

Yeah, I actually prefer how you guys actually talk to people as people, instead of as some weird corporate blob. It makes the thread really fun :3

There's talking like people, and there's talking like goons. Don't go native, man.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah it's possible to be "human" and not get indignant over every little joke.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Never tried it, but it looked like another one where the developers mistook INSANE DETAIL AND COMPLEXITY for realism and fun.

I bought and tried to play it a few times, and this is pretty much right. I had no loving idea what was going on, there was way too much territory to manage, and I had no idea what buildings did what. A tutorial would've been very, very useful for it. EvW may be misdirected, but at least it looks like it'll avoid those pitfalls.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tomn posted:

Speaking of which, did anyone actually buy Supreme Ruler: Cold War?

I bought it, stared at the incomprehensibility of the UI for all of 5 minutes, then promptly turned it off and went back to Victoria. I may not be able to control as much as I want to in the latter game, but damnit, at least I know how!

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Anyone else who was at the fan gathering yesterday? Great fun to meet the devs. I ran into Wiz as well.

I really want to get stomped in Paradox games again but sadly I have exams. I got to give the Paradox guys a lot of credit though. Not a lot of developers let us sweaty nerds into their offices for free stuff, beer and food.

Also I'm pretty sure I know Darkrenown since I do recall a dev saying he was put on probation not too long ago. :v:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

esquilax posted:

Isn't Blizzard the company that says "There's nothing wrong with our games, they're working as intended?" or am I thinking of some other sleazy company?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

JGBeagle posted:

Isn't Blizzard the company that says "There's nothing wrong with our games, they're working as intended?" or am I thinking of some other sleazy company?

I'm sure there are many who act that way.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Torabi posted:

Anyone else who was at the fan gathering yesterday? Great fun to meet the devs. I ran into Wiz as well.

I really want to get stomped in Paradox games again but sadly I have exams. I got to give the Paradox guys a lot of credit though. Not a lot of developers let us sweaty nerds into their offices for free stuff, beer and food.

Also I'm pretty sure I know Darkrenown since I do recall a dev saying he was put on probation not too long ago. :v:

It was fun. Because I was the last person from PDS to leave, I also ended up recieving a bottle of gin to give to the rest of PDS, I figure we'll drink it at next Friday beers.

You're that guy Johan, right?

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

Cowcatcher posted:

We like darkrenown with AA guns attached :D

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

JGBeagle posted:

You must be thinking of someone else because Blizzard patches all their games almost forever.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Wiz posted:

It was fun. Because I was the last person from PDS to leave, I also ended up recieving a bottle of gin to give to the rest of PDS, I figure we'll drink it at next Friday beers.

You're that guy Johan, right?

Ah yes. Just change Johan to Toby. Remember? Or well Toby-Johan was the closest thing you managed to remember. I need to get Platnium to remind you on a bi-annual basis.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I bought it, stared at the incomprehensibility of the UI for all of 5 minutes, then promptly turned it off and went back to Victoria. I may not be able to control as much as I want to in the latter game, but damnit, at least I know how!

Sounds like my first year with Hearts of Iron 3. I met the new guy who was in charge of User experience and tutorials last night too so I'm hoping that the games will be more accessible in the future. Without having to prepare yourself mentally two weeks prior. But then again, it might just be me being extra slow when it comes to Paradox games.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Sindai posted:

You must be thinking of someone else because Blizzard patches all their games almost forever.
Yeah, Blizzard literally patched Diablo 2 for a whole decade after the release of the expansion, and I can't promise that's the final patch. Blizzard might be terrible in many ways, but patching ain't one.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Cowcatcher posted:

Yeah, well, when you become King of the thread you can tell me how to post, and when you make a game you can decide how to react to what you think is unfair criticism of it. I'm sorry if I'm impinging on some people's imagined right to poo poo on other people's work and never be called on it, but I didn't give up my right to disagree with people when I started working for a games company.

I don't see what's unreasonable about about pointing out we had nothing to do with IC's text, that the pictures don't show the final product, and that's it's pretty unfair to mock the English skills of non native speakers in them. If I misread a joke it's not hard to say so and I can say sorry instead of arguing the point further which prompts me to respond.

Although I've already said I thought this derail was silly [and that I'd like to drop the argument], so perhaps we can let this rest now?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Torabi posted:

I don't think I told anyone that, perhaps it was Podcat? Who knows though, I was pretty drunk.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
It was definitely podcat, I remember him talking about his probation. Darkrenown was upstairs temping for the leopard we were supposed to have guarding the publishing wing.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

I don't think I told anyone that, perhaps it was Podcat? Who knows though, I was pretty drunk.

Wiz posted:

It was definitely podcat, I remember him talking about his probation. Darkrenown was upstairs temping for the leopard we were supposed to have guarding the publishing wing.

I forgot his name but I think it was David? Working on the HOI games.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Edit: Nevermind. I'll stay out of it.

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 22, 2013

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
What was the wall paper like at this party?!
Inquiring minds would like to know.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

a bad enough dude posted:

Well that just made me super worried about EvW being obsessed with hot war over cold war...
Was there ever any doubt? These are the guys who rejected Macau out of hand because it was small and not of significant military importance. I think nuanced political machination might be beyond their systems programming capabilities.

Koesj posted:

Read the dev diary. As a sub-system of the game it sounds pretty awesome to me but I guess it doesn't bode well for its overall accessibility and design priorities.
They're breaking Sid Meier's cardinal rule: if it's really fun to program but not that fun to play, kill it.

Koesj posted:

Conflicts like Vietnam or Afghanistan could be entirely handled by an interplay of suppression/attrition/dissent modifiers in EvW. Make it so that the occupying country has to invest in beefing up suppression at the cost of 'warfighting' capability for his divisions (or whatever unit scale) and use policies to influence local effects. More Balance of Power, less HoI3 'single militia brigade gets lazily crushed by your 1938 binary cavalry division'.
But is that fun to play? If the Vietnam War is nothing more than a series of province modifiers in your Cold War game then you should probably pack up your game design and work on something else. The biggest problem grand strategy games have ever had is finding the right interface between simulation and interactivity. We've already killed off railroaded historical events (except in MotE), now we need to kill off behind the scenes simulation that could just as easily be represented by gameplay mechanics.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
So, has any definite how-to-win LP emerged for MotE already?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baloogan posted:

Fake books and Aztec fleets as far as the eye could see.

There should be some pictures up on Facebook. I'm in one or two of them.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 22, 2013

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Littlefinger posted:

So, has any definite how-to-win LP emerged for MotE already?

The game has been out for 4 goddamn days :v:

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
I'm sorry you felt unduly got at, darkrenown. I was just trying to say that I find such errors unprofessional and a little funny, even from a foreign-speaking company. The quality of the product is here nor there. I didn't expect it to turn into a "thing", the fact you're reacting so harshly to it gets me pretty down. I'm definitely not "making GBS threads on" the product, I'm making a single critical remark about a single feature that we're getting a preview of.

Please chill out. :(

We still don't have a release date for HoD, right?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Noreaus posted:

I'm sorry you felt unduly got at, darkrenown. I was just trying to say that I find such errors unprofessional and a little funny, even from a foreign-speaking company. The quality of the product is here nor there. I didn't expect it to turn into a "thing", the fact you're reacting so harshly to it gets me pretty down. I'm definitely not "making GBS threads on" the product, I'm making a single critical remark about a single feature that we're getting a preview of.

Q1 2013, no exact date announced.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I originally didn't care about the spelling thing, but watching it piss Dark off so much and watching him bitch about it makes it really, really funny.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Noreaus posted:

I tried man. I tried. \/ :( \/

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Man MotE is accessible as heck. I don't know what more they could have done other than shipping a Paradox dev to my house and having him sit with me.

I would have liked to a see a short 'player's guide' that talks a bit more about high level strategies and such but that's really just me being greedy at this point.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Torabi posted:

I forgot his name but I think it was David? Working on the HOI games.

Huh, that sure sounds like me. How odd

Baloogan posted:

You can watch it here!
http://en.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/b/369776891

Walls are a pretty dull white for the most part though.

Noreaus posted:

I'm not unchilled, and I don't want this to be a thing, I've twice said let's drop it, but people keep coming back to it. I'm not angry at you, and I didn't particularly mean to direct the "making GBS threads on" comment at you, only at the poster I was replying to.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 22, 2013

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

orphean posted:

Man MotE is accessible as heck. I don't know what more they could have done other than shipping a Paradox dev to my house and having him sit with me.

I would have liked to a see a short 'player's guide' that talks a bit more about high level strategies and such but that's really just me being greedy at this point.

I like all the little question marks. Initially I thought they were going to annoy the HELL out of me but drat paradox please make the little questionmarks standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

CharlestheHammer posted:

I originally didn't care about the spelling thing, but watching it piss Dark off so much and watching him bitch about it makes it really, really funny.
Darkrenown is making this really feel like a Paradox thread on Something Awful again. All we need is for MiscMods to resume development and more posts from Paradox Plaza by Morally Reprehensible Persons and we're at cruising velocity :dukedog:

*edit*
Does Paradox Plaza still filter have somethingawful.com in the profanity filter?

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 22, 2013

• Locked thread