Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009

Popehoist posted:

All those loving words. This is like reading CAD.

Oh no you didn't...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Zoinker posted:

Oh no you didn't...

Search your feelings, you know it to be B^U.

first move tengen
Dec 2, 2011

Popehoist posted:

All those loving words. This is like reading CAD.

Oh hell no :fut:

Adiesome
Aug 27, 2007
Portmanteaus are convenient
I have to say, just reading these last few updates Lazerbot's tantrum really took the magic out of this for me. I mean, there have been a few instances where he's clearly gotten too cocky about the attention this comic has received (and once he discovered this thread you could always see this in his overall tone and demeanor), and it was clear to see he wasn't quite the "chill" guy some of the people here built him up to be (the way he reacted to that troll hacking his DA account, for example), but just look at the thinly veiled venom towards his "fans" in some of those Cheetah walls of text.

I always felt slightly icky reading some of the comments in this thread where people idolized and put him up on a pedestal (I think that itself started off as praising the absurdism of the comic for its novelty, and then got way out of hand), but seeing it get to his head and him acting so cocky has diminished my enjoyment of this. It's not cute anymore, and the reality of how large his delusions are about both the quality of his artwork and his storytelling abilities is just kinda sad.

And I don't agree with the sentiment that it's goons who have somehow "ruined" this whole thing. I think with the way his ego-trip was going it was bound to come to a head sooner or later. The only thing I will say that the ridiculous and overwhelming "praise" Lazerbot received in this thread (which was mostly tongue-in-cheek) definitely contributed to his ego-trip, which in turn led to him lashing out at his "fans" when he received (in my opinion) completely valid criticism.

But yeah, reading these last few updates, it's hard to take enjoyment out of this anymore. Just my two cents.

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012
i don't understand what you're talking about, but it makes me mad as hell! Listen to me, as I spout gibberish, and know that I. I am MAD. :mad:
My two cents on this thing is that this should be a mock thread, but everytime I come read it, it feels like it isn't. I don't know how to put this in a way that doesn't make me come across as the hugest dick ever, but it almost seems like there are dozens of posters here that unironically think this is enjoyable in any way that isn't "look at how awful and terrible this is", and hey, that's fine by me, but I just don't see it, not even remotely.

Bear in mind I do know a lot of posters here (even those with the avatars) are just here to mock it, and even some of those who "praise it" are just doing it sarcastically, but it reads like the minority.

Adiesome
Aug 27, 2007
I agree completely, Snarf. I think this did start off as a mock thread (and essentially continues to serve as one, to be fair), but along the way it mutated somehow. I think what happened was at the beginning there was this underlying vibe of "actually this is kind of amusing, it's still terrible but I like it for how absurd it is" and then those sentiments escalated to the point of people saying Lazerbot is a "genius" and is hugely talented and what have you, and that's just ridiculous. I think even those comments started off as tongue-in-cheek before they became serious.

Let's face it, 99% of the people who read this thread are doing so because it's funny to make fun of how bad the comic is. It's funny to see the "fanart" and motion videos and songs what have you because putting this terrible comic into a serious context is funny in and of itself.

I really think it's bizarre if people here genuinely think it's a good comic. It has its qualities for being "novel", but come on, at least making fun of it for being bad is honest. Calling Lazerbot a "genius" has done nothing but fed his ridiculous ego (causing him to come out with such gems such as "you disgust me as a fan") and given this whole thread a weird layer of icky every time I see him praised. I can't tell if it's being serious, but if it is then it's definitely disingenuous.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

I never really understood the people that believed/wanted Lazerbot to be some paragon of virtue zen master, he's just a kid with a wild imagination that writes a comic about videogame characters killing internet trolls. Of course he's going to be a little inmature sometimes.

To be honest, I don't really care if he slips up unless he takes it to Tim Buckley levels of douchebaggery, I'm just here to see the Looney Toons fight trolls or whatever crazy poo poo he comes up with.

SNARF SNARF SNARF posted:

My two cents on this thing is that this should be a mock thread, but everytime I come read it, it feels like it isn't. I don't know how to put this in a way that doesn't make me come across as the hugest dick ever, but it almost seems like there are dozens of posters here that unironically think this is enjoyable in any way that isn't "look at how awful and terrible this is", and hey, that's fine by me, but I just don't see it, not even remotely.

Bear in mind I do know a lot of posters here (even those with the avatars) are just here to mock it, and even some of those who "praise it" are just doing it sarcastically, but it reads like the minority.

I don't think this deserves a mock thread like the one CAD or Dominic Deegan get. Sure, the art is lovely (even if he's constantly improving) and the plot is really stupid, but in an endearing way. There's a lot of laughs to be had out of stuff like the guy with no ears, all the malapropisms or stuff like the Looney Toons being loving necromancers. Sure, TGT is bad but not the agressively bad AND boring turd Tim Buckley used to poo poo out 3 times a week (he's not doing it still is he? I don't dare to check the CAD Mock thread anymore).

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I'd say most of the appeal lies in "so bad it's good", but there are some occasions where he's intentionally funny (at least I think he is), which tends to get him the benefit of the doubt. I can never be sure reading the thread if other people feel the same way or if they think this is unironically great.

Adiesome
Aug 27, 2007
I hope it didn't come across that I feel Lazerbot should be some paragon of virtue or completely "chill" guy. Just that his latest tantrums (coupled with his overall cocky demeanour) kind of took the magic out of these last few updates for me.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Adiesome posted:

I agree completely, Snarf. I think this did start off as a mock thread (and essentially continues to serve as one, to be fair), but along the way it mutated somehow. I think what happened was at the beginning there was this underlying vibe of "actually this is kind of amusing, it's still terrible but I like it for how absurd it is" and then those sentiments escalated to the point of people saying Lazerbot is a "genius" and is hugely talented and what have you, and that's just ridiculous. I think even those comments started off as tongue-in-cheek before they became serious.

Let's face it, 99% of the people who read this thread are doing so because it's funny to make fun of how bad the comic is. It's funny to see the "fanart" and motion videos and songs what have you because putting this terrible comic into a serious context is funny in and of itself.

I really think it's bizarre if people here genuinely think it's a good comic. It has its qualities for being "novel", but come on, at least making fun of it for being bad is honest. Calling Lazerbot a "genius" has done nothing but fed his ridiculous ego (causing him to come out with such gems such as "you disgust me as a fan") and given this whole thread a weird layer of icky every time I see him praised. I can't tell if it's being serious, but if it is then it's definitely disingenuous.

Yeah, I agree. This is essentially a dumb weird funny comic that's awfully plotted and constructed, but in a bizarre enough way that it offers something to the reader.

e: reading Tails Gets Trolled is like watching Manos: Hands of Fate or Troll 2 or Nightmare on Elm Street 2. It's terribly produced and basically a shambling mockery of decent creative practise, but it's just so bad at what it does that it loops around again and becomes a unique entity.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 23, 2013

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Adiesome posted:

I hope it didn't come across that I feel Lazerbot should be some paragon of virtue or completely "chill" guy. Just that his latest tantrums (coupled with his overall cocky demeanour) kind of took the magic out of these last few updates for me.

Oh no, I wasn't talking about you. I meant the people that got seriously bummed a while ago when he didn't ignore the hacker and more recently when he wen't full on "homophobe 17 year old on Xbox Live". The former was a reasonable response, and the latter was totally expected.

Adiesome
Aug 27, 2007

Washin Tong posted:

Oh no, I wasn't talking about you. I meant the people that got seriously bummed a while ago when he didn't ignore the hacker and more recently when he wen't full on "homophobe 17 year old on Xbox Live". The former was a reasonable response, and the latter was totally expected.

Oh, yeah I think this goes hand in hand with the whole "chill your pills" thing. Another slightly amusing comment that got turned way up to 11 and like you said, all of a sudden Lazerbot is supposed to be this supremely chill zen guy.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Yep. Yep. That's pretty much how I feel too.

:spergin: It's Spergin Time!:spergin:
After LB's posts I can't say I've ever felt the way about the pages that came afterwords.
It's like when you find out that the comic your reading is some sort of mary-sue/revenge fantasy and that it's being written for all the wrong reasons. I liked the comic because of how silly it was (think Quarter-Life or HL:Full life consequences) and that there was no-way in hell that this was supposed to be taken seriously...but after those posts about some of his fans - I don't know.
It's hard to tell if the weed panel was supposed to be a joke - or that smoking weed is what cool chill dudes do, I'm so there.
It feels like he's been changing the comic because of the mocking tone it was getting, something that long-standers like Buckley or Mookie wouldn't even consider which is a good thing.

I had nothing against the gay panel, except that he used the most stereotypical aunty may template. Showing he doesn't really understand what people were (talking about, but not directly to) him for - which as a comic creator he should be looking into, or just ignoring. You never see a Sega representative call out a fan-fiction thread even if its creepy as heck - because their not expecting one to show up.
The fact that he's gone works well for this thread because I don't get that "Big Brother is watching" vibe anymore. Though at the same time, I don't feel that this is a deconstruction of trolls vs trolls that I thought it was, and that this IS just a revenge fantasy.
Doesn't help matter that Demarro seems to borrow quite a few traits from the actual bot.

Sorry if this looks gay to the viewers and please lets not get into a derailing poo poo-storm again.
Though I think we should be able to speak our minds about the comic.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I would say I'm unironically and consistently entertained, but that speaks nothing to the individual qualities of the comic itself. While there are tons of faults and quirks that make this comic objectively "bad," the sum of those parts create something deserving more than a mere mock thread. That we can even read into the artist's intent for a rambling diatribe of a blazed "Cheeto Man" and come away from it feeling anything beyond utter shock says something. I'm not entirely sure what, but definitely something.

If the comic ended tomorrow I wouldn't regret following and enjoying it in the slightest. I've had a lot of fun. I won't disagree there is a slightly bitter tone to the last page, but I'm confident this will blow over eventually.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
TGT is just a crazy rear end webcomic using copyrighted characters that somehow subverts our expectations VERY often.

It's just hilariously good in a bad sort of way, and the art is charmingly inconsistent. Comparing this to CAD is like comparing Apples to Oranges, they are not similar in any way.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Honestly I just don't read any lazerbot walls of text. I skipped most of the Troll King's origin story when that happened, I still haven't read Kermit's speech, and I passed right over the most recent page. It's a strategy that's never really failed me and I died laughing when the audiobook version of the Troll King's story came out and I learned about the history of trolls from Mojo Jojo, especially knowing that it would lead them into a fateful conflict with a band of medieval runaways and Pac-Man.

wakka

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
All I know is this thread is 10x better now than it was when everyone was groveling to get a page.

"My chills isnt pilled guys! I need a page so bad got the shakes!"

I wish LB had never found the thread.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I do unironically enjoy TGT, as much as you can enjoy a comic where Elmer Fudd is a necromancer without stopping to think about the sheer insanity of it all every now and then. Saying it's "so bad it's good" is doing it a disservice, as is overtly praising its art and writing. I think the plotting is genuinely good and the characters relatively well-rounded, all with distinct goals and personal agendas - it's simply not bad enough to be "so bad it's good." It's just... so weird it's strange. How objectively good or bad the writing or art is feels sort of irrelevant, since everything works as a part of the whole. If Buckley or someone else wrote "it was not a quintessence us meeting like this" I would laugh, yes, but I'd laugh because it's a stupid mistake to make and I'd mock him endlessly for it. When Lazerbot writes it, however, it fits, and I laugh because it's a funny malapropism, but I don't (seriously) mock or deride him for it - I'm just peering down the rabbit hole and enjoying the ride. In this sense, TGT is, to an extent, beyond serious, objective criticism - not above in the high heavens or below in the so-bad-it's-good swamps, but somewhere to the side, in a dark corner, playing with its Looney Tunes toys.

All that being said, a significant amount of the magic was lost to me when LB threw his tantrum. The criticism was, I thought, entirely justified and presented, for the most part, in polite suggestions, and he responded with a bizarre ego-trip. Saying that we should have expected the prepubescent hissy fit we got is kind of weird, because it would not have been any more acceptable if we had. I don't think goons ruined TGT, goons just took it seriously and Lazerbot reacted badly (and yes, unexpectedly) when it became inconvenient to him. Everything is a part of the whole, and his bad behaviour has sullied the whole TGT experience to me a bit.

___/
:kermit:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Hey this thread could use a bunch of goony dissertations on why people like or dislike a stupid comic that's written to be silly.

Better get on that poo poo.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Washin Tong posted:

really stupid, but in an endearing way.

That's the best way to describe the comic as a whole. It's absurd, it's nonsensical, the author's idiolect is inimitable, etc. At the same time, it's never as bad as Dominic Deegan because you can tell that, no matter how clumsily, the author actually tries to improve. So it has all the things that make it amusing but not those that make it infuriating (casual homophobia aside).

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I agree, because I actually see the characters as good and more dimensional that most cliched material. And LB certainly isn't a genius, but he's got a knack for making you want to know what happens next and some good humor, intentional or otherwise.

It's like looking at Vincent Van Gogh, sometimes he cuts his ear off and we pull back, but other times he's unpredictable and unrestricted and paints Starry Night.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Hey this thread could use a bunch of goony dissertations on why people like or dislike a stupid comic that's written to be silly.

Oh, also this.

Adiesome
Aug 27, 2007

I cannot fathom why you would have an issue with any of the recent posts, I've found them quite interesting.

No one's being bitter, no one's being malicious, no one's shouting anyone down or deriding them for their opinions. People are simply discussing their views on the comic in an intelligent and polite manner. What's the problem? This to me is far more interesting to read and mentally engaging than "lol it's just a dumb comic guys why are you goons taking this so seriously".

It also didn't come to "like or dislike", it's plain to see everyone here likes the entertainment value TGT provides.

But you know, this is exactly the kind of thing that made this thread so weird and uncomfortable to read a while back. Apparently if you're not clamouring for a new page and singing the praises of the almighty genius Lazerbot, you're just a goon who's "ruining" everything. So bizarre.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Washin Tong posted:

Sure, TGT is bad but not the agressively bad AND boring turd Tim Buckley used to poo poo out 3 times a week (he's not doing it still is he? I don't dare to check the CAD Mock thread anymore).

He's not.

It's five times a week now :getin:

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Call Now posted:

He's not.

It's five times a week now :getin:

:suicide: ...how? I thought his comic was so dead he had to shut down his lovely con and inflate the poll numbers for his lovely CYOA plots and that was like 2 years ago. gently caress it, I have to go check the thread now.

goons goons goony rear end goons

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Adiesome posted:

I cannot fathom why you would have an issue with any of the recent posts, I've found them quite interesting.

No one's being bitter, no one's being malicious, no one's shouting anyone down or deriding them for their opinions. People are simply discussing their views on the comic in an intelligent and polite manner. What's the problem? This to me is far more interesting to read and mentally engaging than "lol it's just a dumb comic guys why are you goons taking this so seriously".

It also didn't come to "like or dislike", it's plain to see everyone here likes the entertainment value TGT provides.

But you know, this is exactly the kind of thing that made this thread so weird and uncomfortable to read a while back. Apparently if you're not clamouring for a new page and singing the praises of the almighty genius Lazerbot, you're just a goon who's "ruining" everything. So bizarre.
My thoughts are pretty much as above.
Less drama, less metaposting, more opinions, better thread.

Also, it's not so much "goons being goons" that has had the effect of LB exploding, but rather "comic having an audience"

first move tengen
Dec 2, 2011
I guess what bothers me is that whenever anybody criticizes LB they just have to do it in a way that sounds so incredibly drat condescending. There may not be bitterness or hate or anything but the feelings of hauteur are just dripping of the page, and it really puts me off.

Nathander
Apr 23, 2008
To me TGT essentially proves that it doesn't matter how dumb your story is, people will sit and listen if you tell it in an interesting way. Awhile back someone said it was akin to an old style tall tale, and that's what it is. It's weird, it's nonsensical, but by god is it dressed up nice in places.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Why is it that over 300 pages in we feel we all need to stop and explain why we enjoy the comic we're reading?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Calico Heart posted:

Why is it that over 300 pages in we feel we all need to stop and explain why we enjoy the comic we're reading?

Because different people enjoy it in different ways, and a lot of the stuff that's happened recently has affected people's enjoyment of it.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
I just want more dramatic readings.

And songs. The early stuff was so fun.

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool
I'm just here for Rob.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm pretty sad all the songs and videos and such have stopped :(

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Adiesome posted:

You're not ruining the comic, but this dopey psychoanalyzing is sucking the fun out of this thread. Why can't people just read the comic and enjoy it?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The "so bad it's good" qualification of liking something ultimately seems silly to me. TGT, and other amateurish movies and books and TV and whatever, isn't great in any conventional sense, but there's such an earnestness to it that it's tough to not like it a little. If somebody loves a thing that they're making a whole bunch, then usually you'll be able to like it a little too, without the weird, self-conscious defense of "yeah this is really bad, but it's so bad..."

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

FunkyAl posted:

The "so bad it's good" qualification of liking something ultimately seems silly to me. TGT, and other amateurish movies and books and TV and whatever, isn't great in any conventional sense, but there's such an earnestness to it that it's tough to not like it a little. If somebody loves a thing that they're making a whole bunch, then usually you'll be able to like it a little too, without the weird, self-conscious defense of "yeah this is really bad, but it's so bad..."

Man, I love weed.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Not deriving any form of pleasure out of this comic is like disliking the doodle of a 5-year old. Of course it's bad, but what do you expect? This guy had no prior art- or writing-experiences other than Micah the Rat and his stonerdoodles. Tails Gets Trolled is a slice of the psyche of an immature teen heavily influenced by internet culture dealing with everyday life occurrences such as ridicule, aggression etc. His extrovert personality and lack of subtlety gives us this raw, unfiltered incarnation of his ideas. Thinly veiled to blatant imitations of anime, bizarre concepts and hasty, irrational actions of characters are all a product of his brash personality. The current walls of text obviously influenced by the homophobic drama might be groanworthy to offputting, but it's a really interesting record of his feelings and growth nevertheless. Let's say LazerBot continues the comic for a 2-3 years. Imagine how much of a thrillride it must be reading the comic from start to finish, taking notes of all the shifts in themes, ideals and focusses on different characters as the story progresses. It's like a meta coming-of-age story in the form of a fanfic extravaganza. The (at times unintentional) hilarious material is a bonus.
If I'd have to give him credit for something, it would definitely be his sense of humor. Stuff like practically everything Knuckles ever did is so consistently hilarious, even at the very beginning of the comic, where most laughs were unintentional.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If you're not reading this comic for reasons I consider acceptable, you're an idiot and I'm going to write long essays on the subject explaining exactly why.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
here is why I read Tails Gets Trolled, a 500 word essay by Monicro

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

It's funny. Sometimes it's intentional, sometimes it's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiesome
Aug 27, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

If you're not reading this comic for reasons I consider acceptable, you're an idiot and I'm going to write long essays on the subject explaining exactly why.

Holy moly, talk about a persecution complex.

- No one said any one reason for reading this comic is any more "acceptable" than another (In fact, this hasn't been brought up at all - what is a reason you consider "acceptable", out of interest?)

- No one called you an idiot.

- No one wrote any "long essays" from what I can see.

Come on guys, get a grip. This thread is to discuss this bizarre comic and our opinions concerning it. There's no need for hostility or opposition to any kind of meaningful thought put behind a post. If you have something counter to the points that have been raised... I'd love to hear them. It's fascinating, and I'm sure a thousand times more interesting than any one line post dripping with passive aggression.