Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Sonata Mused posted:

If DW8 has 1 language setting, I will be happy.

DW3.

http://youtu.be/rFA08BJUtPo
http://youtu.be/TqF8mNNelFM
http://youtu.be/eYWhG6T-pPo

I agree.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Oh God, that's the good stuff. "Feel the power of my maaaaaaagic!" was seriously something my friends and I would shout at each other. Followed closely by "You flaming idiots!" shrieked like a 5 year old.

DW7 question. I've gone through Shu's story on Normal and I'm about halfway through Wu's. I haven't been able to make any new weapons for awhile. Do I need to bump up to Hard mode, or will they only come through enemy officer drops now?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Static Rook posted:

DW7 question. I've gone through Shu's story on Normal and I'm about halfway through Wu's. I haven't been able to make any new weapons for awhile. Do I need to bump up to Hard mode, or will they only come through enemy officer drops now?

Many of the higher-tier weapons get unlocked in Conquest mode rather than story, from specific weapon-reward missions. And the highest tier requires a character with smithing and I think only shows up at Conquest weapon vendors/merchants (not positive on that last part, though).

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Enallyniv posted:

e: DW7E isn't on 360, is it? :(

Nope :smithicide:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Picked up DW7E today, haven't played one of the Empires games since, uh, 5 I think, not used to having to think (or at least, make decisions) in my Warriors games. The tutorials are less than useless so my first game was pretty much a 'what the hell am I doing' trial run and managed to fail two battles in row. Resources seem pretty hard to come by at first, food particularly being a major choking point unless I tax the poo poo out of people and raise my Evil affinity doing so.

Can anyone else who has played it tell me if I'm right that you can't play as your edit characters in the historical scenarios, only in the make it up as you go along one?

Also there's a silver trophy for winning a battle without once swinging your weapon. :psyduck:

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Sakurazuka posted:

Also there's a silver trophy for winning a battle without once swinging your weapon. :psyduck:

Probably has those 'get to point x' type missions that the other Empires games have.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

If the other games are anything to go by, if you've got more/better generals and troops you can hang back and watch your dudes tear through the map. It'll still probably take like ten minutes longer than it would if you got involved though

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I hope it's like 6E where you can totally cheese the entire campaign by having your team suck rear end and then turn to the other side in the last moments of the battle.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I just got to the Battle of Tong Pass, and Ma Chao literally threatens to eat Cao Cao alive. :catstare:

Also, the book goes out of it's way to make Zhou Yu into a chump, it's pretty embarrassing.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Ma Chao has been my favorite character since DW4, I think.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is there a recommended version of the original RotTK novels? There seem to be a few different translations out there.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Sakurazuka posted:

Is there a recommended version of the original RotTK novels? There seem to be a few different translations out there.

For money, this is the best version. It has a translation you'll understand with thousands of foot notes and other interesting things:
http://www.amazon.com/Kingdoms-Chinese-Classics-Classic-3-Volumes/dp/7119005901/

For free, this is ok. It has an ok translation and awful comments but it's free and on the web:
http://threekingdoms.com/

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

Belzac posted:

For free, this is ok. It has an ok translation and awful comments but it's free and on the web:
http://threekingdoms.com/

Oh man. :allears:

I remember spending ages reading through every single loving comment.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Belzac posted:

Because Yale spelling was so bad the Chinese (PRC) government actually adopted their own way of spelling their names/words in Latin characters. This is Pinyin. It's not perfect, mostly because a lot of sounds don't exist in a readable format in English, Cao vs. Tsao, but is supported by the largest body of native speakers of the language in the world.
There's a whole other issue at work though: Say you were colonized by the English, and that sucked. Your country is finally coming up in the world and you have the opportunity to make a new official Roman character based writing system. Are you going to intentionally make it to cater exclusively to English speakers? It's not like English speakers own Roman characters, they are used a million different ways by people all over the world.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

I just got to the Battle of Tong Pass, and Ma Chao literally threatens to eat Cao Cao alive. :catstare:

Also, the book goes out of it's way to make Zhou Yu into a chump, it's pretty embarrassing.
It's so sadistic as hell about it that you'd think that the novel was actually being sarcastic and parody by being so over the top about it... except that Chinese folklore took the whole thing with a straight face, which is why the 2010 live-action series is so awesome -- modern reinterpretation without the sheer "axe to grind" that DW7 had.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I was going through an old National Geographic on the Three Gorges Dam project and I caught a blurb about the relocation of a shrine to Zhang Fei. NG's brief description of him was "A general in 3rd Century China who died honorably."

Didn't know that honorable deaths now included 'beheaded by your own men after drunkenly beating them.' :v:

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

Chortles posted:

It's so sadistic as hell about it that you'd think that the novel was actually being sarcastic and parody by being so over the top about it... except that Chinese folklore took the whole thing with a straight face, which is why the 2010 live-action series is so awesome -- modern reinterpretation without the sheer "axe to grind" that DW7 had.

I dunno, if they really wanted to show how two-faced Liu Bei was, they would have showed him promising to help Lu Bu, then immediately persuading Cao Cao to kill him.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Oh man, I got Fist of the North Star 2 last night. Everything just feels so right. The battles are a lot more fast paced. Ken is so much better to play as this time around!

The Legend Mode is really cool. I love how it follows the manga. The cutscenes are really neat too. Reminds me of Gundam 2's Anime Mode.

ALSO for anybody considering buying the game, the deal right now where if you buy it you get some bonus DLC costumes with your purchase is only available until March 5th.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's a whole other issue at work though: Say you were colonized by the English, and that sucked. Your country is finally coming up in the world and you have the opportunity to make a new official Roman character based writing system. Are you going to intentionally make it to cater exclusively to English speakers? It's not like English speakers own Roman characters, they are used a million different ways by people all over the world.

"So, defy ALL of them." :v:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

5er posted:

"So, defy ALL of them." :v:
Just like anyone else adopting the a new character set for the first time (by themselves anyway), they wanted to make it their own. Is there something so wrong about that? As a speaker of another language, you have to learn how to use their writing system if you want to pronounce it right, just like with any other language.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 23, 2013

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

If they haven't said yet, are we just figuring DW7E will cost the same as XL?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Saith posted:

I dunno, if they really wanted to show how two-faced Liu Bei was, they would have showed him promising to help Lu Bu, then immediately persuading Cao Cao to kill him.
Err, the thing is that Liu Bei never actually promised to help... Lu Bu treats the halberd shot as a favor to be called in later after he makes said shot, but Liu Bei doesn't agree to it. In The Ravages of Time a pissed off Liu Bei decides to get revenge after losing Xu Province, and eventually Lu Bu realizes as he's strangled what happened -- the persuasion was done behind the scenes, so RoT Liu Bei isn't publicly complicit like RTK Liu Bei.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Wait, what's The Ravages Of Time?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Saith posted:

It's a Chinese manhua (manga) that goes through the Three Kingdoms period focusing on Sima Yi. It's really...unique. That's probably about the best way to describe it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Belzac posted:

It's a Chinese manhua (manga) that goes through the Three Kingdoms period focusing on Sima Yi. It's really...unique. That's probably about the best way to describe it.

Obvioualy the only correct way of describing the period :smugayi:

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Anyone remember when the PSN updates? They've changed it over the years (I think) so I'm never sure what time something new is going to pop up on it. Cause I need me some DW7:E yesterday. Wish they'd do what steam does and release new stuff at midnight.

As far as we know, this game has full online co-op right? I know some of the other recent DW entries have had online co-op, but the idea of it for an empires game makes me giddy. Wanna goof around in ancient China with some friends and goons.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Stratagem system in Empires 7 would actually be great for an online game if you could play as opposing sides, it would need expanding a bit but setting up ambushes and traps and stuff in real time sounds like it could be fun. Sadly, I just set mine up so I'm a death machine and wade into the enemy main camp and finish it in a minute or two. Maybe I should play on a harder setting, might force me to be a bit more creative...

Edit: Add 'DeathShiki' if anyone wants to try out the co-op, don't really have any other DW players on my friends list.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 24, 2013

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Dawnfire posted:

Anyone remember when the PSN updates? They've changed it over the years (I think) so I'm never sure what time something new is going to pop up on it. Cause I need me some DW7:E yesterday. Wish they'd do what steam does and release new stuff at midnight.

As far as we know, this game has full online co-op right? I know some of the other recent DW entries have had online co-op, but the idea of it for an empires game makes me giddy. Wanna goof around in ancient China with some friends and goons.

As far as know it's "any time before midnight Eastern time". But I don't know if the EU store updates differently.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
How does the Stratagem system in DW7:E work, anyways? I played the demo, but you don't get to use any of them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You get to assign a certain amounts of Stratagem cards to your character which have various effects like setting up ambushes, changing bases to different types, removing any stratagems the enemy has set up, that sort of thing. They unlock by levelling up your character's Fame types, the 'Brave' Fame, for example, mostly unlocks cards that directly affect your abilities, 'Kind' unlocks ones that heal and bring your allies back to the battlefield.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 24, 2013

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Interesting. As long as this is better than the abomination that was DW6:E, I'm on board.

Nothing has come close to SW2:E yet.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Saith posted:

Let's put it this way:
Step 1: Zhang Liao kidnaps Xun Yu (Cao Cao's advisor) from an apartment
Step 2: Lu Bu allows his prisoner to see his military arrangements
Step 3: Lu Bu's general Gao Shun, "The Ambusher", kicks so much rear end against Xiahou Dun (paving the way for Cao Xing -- or rather, his student Xiao Meng -- to shoot out Xiahou Dun's eye)
Step 3: One of Lu Bu's generals, a seeming-double agent for Cao Cao (infiltrating Lu Bu's ranks to avenge Dong Zhuo) gets two of his compatriots (also double agents infiltrating Lu Bu's ranks on Cao Cao's behalf) to cause a fire in Gao Shun's jurisdiction that both burns rations and covers for Xun Yu's escape, pretending that Xun Yu was incinerated in the fire.
Step 4: Gao Shun is demoted, while Xun Yu debriefs the Cao army, and the double agent takes command of Gao Shun's troops.
Step 4: Chen Gong (Lu Bu's strategist) reveals to the triple agent afterward that he arranged for all of the above specifically to goad Cao Cao's army into attacking so that Chen Gong can lure them into ambush.

There, you have an "average" strategy in this Chinese comic book take on the Three Kingdoms period. :colbert:

As far as the tone of the story...

Chortles fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 24, 2013

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Fame system is kind of annoying me now, mainly because it deteriorates over time and, unless I'm doing something wrong, it's much easier to obtain Orderly fame than it is any other type because you get it just for winning battles, whereas the others require grinding of specific things.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

Just like anyone else adopting the a new character set for the first time (by themselves anyway), they wanted to make it their own. Is there something so wrong about that? As a speaker of another language, you have to learn how to use their writing system if you want to pronounce it right, just like with any other language.

There is nothing wrong I really see with it. I wasn't as seriously critical as you may have thought I was.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

5er posted:

There is nothing wrong I really see with it. I wasn't as seriously critical as you may have thought I was.
Sorry, just as someone trained in linguistics with a specialty in minority languages, many of which have been driven to near extinction by English, I get a little touchy when people say "why can't this language be more like English?"

edit: you didn't bring it up to start with though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So I'm sitting here playing Pirate Warriors, just grinding out the coins so I can make all the combinations to get the trophy, and all I can think is "MAN! Is this gonna be a bitch to do again when PW2 comes out!". It took a moment but I was eventually reminded of a really cool thing Warriors games used to do: save data transfer. Does anyone remember this? Like in the early, early PS2 days of Warriors games you could transfer your character progress from one game to the next. I think the last time they did it was for Samurai Warriors 2, but now with all these spinoffs and subsequent games I'm really wishing they would bring that back.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sorry, just as someone trained in linguistics with a specialty in minority languages, many of which have been driven to near extinction by English, I get a little touchy when people say "why can't this language be more like English?"

edit: you didn't bring it up to start with though.

I can completely understand. If it's any consolation, I was at an Asian general market yesterday with my family unit, and we impressed the cashier when I had my 8 year old say 'thank you' in Chinese. At first she was a bit unsure if my boy really said what he did, then she lit up with a big smile, 'oh you know that word!' She was speaking Mandarin with a customer ahead of us, and while I couldn't understand a word of it, but many years of watching Korean / Viet / Chinese / Japanese with subtitles helps a person distinguish how a dialect sounds. I do my part to keep culture alive.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
http://www.tecmokoeiamerica.com/dw7e/manual/PS3-DW7E_01US01_0124s.pdf Manual is up on TK America's website.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Aww, for some reason I kind of thought you could have an online buddy conquer China with you through Empire mode. But it seems all they can do is show up on a per battle basis. That sounded nifty to me, being able to have 2 created officers do stuff in empire mode together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Finally managed to beat Raoh in Ken's Rage 2.

Now on to the Hokuto Army and Ein.

I still don't actually know the timing on Raoh's penultimate form, I just got lucky.