Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I doubt we'll be getting a big enough bird to scare the dog. She's only a 12 pound dog, but any Amazons we would get would be bored silly since we're out of the house for 8-10 hours a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

SquadronROE posted:

I doubt we'll be getting a big enough bird to scare the dog. She's only a 12 pound dog, but any Amazons we would get would be bored silly since we're out of the house for 8-10 hours a day.
This may be true, though for ours it isn't a problem--we have slightly different schedules, but she tends to be alone for about 7-8 hours a day. The rest of the time she's hanging out around us (sometimes that means just hanging out on/in her cage with the door open while we are around, other times it means sitting on one of us preening happily).

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

I have two conures, and while they each have one person they tend to like a little more, they will happily go from myself to my husband. Both of you should take turns bonding whatever bird you get in order to curb jealousy/single person bonding. If your wife is concerned the bird will bond to you more, make it a special event when she gets home and encourage the bird to spend time with her. For example, when my husband gets home from work I usually say in an excited voice, "daddy's home" and when he comes in he immediately gives them attention and praise, and both Baby and Cheeky REALLY respond to this. Treats help too. We got Baby as, well... a baby. As such it was easier to get him to bond to both of us. Cheeky started off as attached to my husband because the person we adopted her from was a guy, and let me tell you she was a terror to me for awhile. HOWEVER, after investing my time in giving her loving and treats and attention and all sorts of other good things she now loves me to death. We love our conures and they love both of us, and I cannot imagine not having their little fluffy butts waddling and warking around our house.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The one person thing can be a bit overstated. If you socialize Senegals a lot when they're younger they'll usually be a lot more tolerant of other people. Charlie won't let other people touch him and he doesn't like being around a group of people, but I can let him hang out with friends and he won't do anything besides try to steal their food or stuff he thinks is cool.

I also like the fact they're less manic than conures and pretty independent. He obviously likes being let out or when I talk to him when I walk by the cage, but he never screams when I leave the room and mostly just sits on the perch by the window and watches the pigeons or just harasses the cockatiels. He's a pretty chill birdie bro.

AltruisticNemesis
Nov 7, 2007
tra la la

Battle Pigeon posted:

The only judgement we bestow upon you is for not coming and sharing photos sooner. :colbert:

Seriously-if you'd written about your issues before, sure we probably would have offered suggestions on how to possibly improve the situation, but I don't think anyone would have held it against you for rehoming Azmodan. Now, not only did you find him a good home where he's happier, but you took in another bird and now it has a home where it's happier too-and so are the humans all around. Seems like it worked out pretty well to me. :)

I appreciate the understanding. I work with birds with behavioral issues all the time, but I don't know what Azmo's problem was, but he was just a pill. And sometimes personalities just don't mesh.

Lenswork posted:

OH MY GOD THAT LAST PHOTO.

I love orange wings. There's a pair of them I play with at Zazu's and just adore. I love all amazons really, the more I play with different ones the more they all become one of my favorite species to interact with (all of them are secretly love muffins deep inside). Your story is a very sweet one, congrats on your exceptionally beautiful new buddy. I can only hope Zippy's feathers look as smooth and lovely as Frodo's someday.

P.S.- I demand more happy amazon photos! And videos of him talking! He comes with quite the large vocabulary.

Not bad for an iphone photo, huh? I got a macro wide angled lens for it for free and somehow it ups the quality a lot. Also it makes me feel ridiculous and fancy. As for his feathers I have him on Harrison's Pepper Coarse, Nutri-cakes, fruits, veggies, almonds with the rare noodle and bread piece. He gets a bath either every day or every other day and he likes to get drenched.

I'm trying to get video but as soon as the camera comes out he starts pinning and gets in kill or run away mode. I was planning to have a photo day where I do nothing but drink coffee and stalk him with treats and my camera.

We have also been practicing sound effects with him and he was trying so hard today to make R2D2 noises.
Also "EXTERMINATE" and "YOU WOULD MAKE A GOOD DALEK" from a talking dalek plush. He has "MINATE" down and "MAKE A GOO". He eventually gets frustrated and gets grumpy face and eats his reward apple.

I was thinking I'd record next time it's bath time. He is most talkative then. I'll do it tomorrow and post the results.

fake edit:

I got bored with one of his pictures and made a digital pet portrait. Because I clearly have too much free time.

AltruisticNemesis fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 18, 2013

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Water. Everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ap4bNzIavc

Mindo + Toilet paper roll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY9GPMf6Loo

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Mindo's video makes me wonder if he ever dreams of having a smaller beak. It must be a bitch to keep that thing clean. ;)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

Mindo's video makes me wonder if he ever dreams of having a smaller beak. It must be a bitch to keep that thing clean. ;)

I dunno, the little punk can grab a blueberry out of our hands a good foot+ away. When we're doing training and luring him with a treat he has been known to just reach out and snatch it rather than hopping onto our hand.

AltruisticNemesis
Nov 7, 2007
tra la la
Frodo did not get a bath today, as it was too cold in the house (and we had to be out and about, so turning on the heater was not an option for him.

Soon, there will be bath time and that is amusing as balls for everyone.

BUT I did get this today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX6fdxMEAQE
(in case the video embedding doesn't work here: http://youtu.be/WX6fdxMEAQE )
(in preview mode, the post doesn't show the video, only an error)

And these:

saying "hiiiii, whatcha doiiiinn"

lookitdemnostrilhairs

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

AltruisticNemesis posted:

Not bad for an iphone photo, huh? I got a macro wide angled lens for it for free.

Can you link where to buy this? You are a wonderful advertisement for the lens.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Wizard of Smart posted:

I get the fear. A lot of pet island forum subthreads have really terribly judgmental people who will jump down your throat and call you hitler for not using their preferred food brand. (I'm looking at you, house bunny thread :colbert: )

They literally call you Hitler in the German Shepherd thread! That was amusing.

I just got back from a weekend trip and the bird is extremely happy to see me. I keep expecting conure rage, but she's all sweetness. What is she plotting?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In our continued research for the Perfect Bird, we're looking at local hand-raised Parrotlets. What is the general consensus on those little dudes? Anyone have experience with them? They look incredibly adorable.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

SquadronROE posted:

In our continued research for the Perfect Bird, we're looking at local hand-raised Parrotlets. What is the general consensus on those little dudes? Anyone have experience with them? They look incredibly adorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz0LoZrKp-g

I don't know much about parrotlets except for this video and I want one to be my adorable little buddy

AltruisticNemesis
Nov 7, 2007
tra la la

H110Hawk posted:

Can you link where to buy this? You are a wonderful advertisement for the lens.

http://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-0-67...ide+angled+lens

This is exactly like the one I got. I got mine free from Marlboro cause they keep sending me stuff (who knows why) but they were like "register for emails and get this free wide angle/macro lens!" Sent them a junk email address and it was sent to me.

I think this link might work for the freebee
http://hunt4freebies.com/free-wide-angle-phone-lens-from-marlboro/

Frodo got a bath today, but was unusually quiet (no singing, chicken sounds, or "goodboygoodboygoodBOOYYEEEE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehJnOpP12U0

Sorry for my horrible high pitched bird-talking-to voice

One thing about his baths, my bathroom sparkles. He gets everything wet and I wipe it all down. You can eat off of my sink.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Kenshin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz0LoZrKp-g

I don't know much about parrotlets except for this video and I want one to be my adorable little buddy

That is the most adorable thing ever. It sounds like a tiny adorable Dalek, so obviously I would have to teach it to say EXTERMINATE.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Sorry for my horrible high pitched bird-talking-to voice

We all have bird-talking-to voices and anybody who says otherwise is a filthy liar. My boyfriend and I moved in together a couple months ago and every so often I catch him giving me the side-eye while I sit in my computer chair and absent-mindedly give Ama's cute little keel kisses and tell him he's a good boy, what a good birdie boy! Are you delicious? Yes you are!

I've tried to stop, really I have. :saddowns:

AltruisticNemesis
Nov 7, 2007
tra la la

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

We all have bird-talking-to voices and anybody who says otherwise is a filthy liar. My boyfriend and I moved in together a couple months ago and every so often I catch him giving me the side-eye while I sit in my computer chair and absent-mindedly give Ama's cute little keel kisses and tell him he's a good boy, what a good birdie boy! Are you delicious? Yes you are!

I've tried to stop, really I have. :saddowns:

The husband used to give me looks too...
but now I catch him doing the same thing and I LAUUUGH AND LAAAUUUGH

No, he totally hates birds and is not a bird guy. Not at all. (Husband gives Frodo kisses now, too :3:)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
My wife has already poked fun at my birdy voice, also reminding me "Do you really want him to only respond when you talk like that around other people?"

Today has been nerve wracking, our house keepers came and I'm so nervous about hurting our buddy. He's super sensitive to various cleaning agents so we've gotten rid of all of them. Now it's basically vinegar, borax, alcohol, bleach (toilets, Jerry uses it to clean the nursery floors), and water in various concoctions. We're "green." That doesn't mean it's not fumey. He looks fine so far. :3:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Today has been nerve wracking, our house keepers came and I'm so nervous about hurting our buddy. He's super sensitive to various cleaning agents so we've gotten rid of all of them. Now it's basically vinegar, borax, alcohol, bleach (toilets, Jerry uses it to clean the nursery floors), and water in various concoctions. We're "green." That doesn't mean it's not fumey. He looks fine so far. :3:

One time Novolo got into the gun cleaning fluid. That was definitely a moment of panic, but she didn't get any on her feathers, just her feet. This resulted in an adorable birdy foot bath.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Pile of Kittens posted:

One time Novolo got into the gun cleaning fluid. That was definitely a moment of panic, but she didn't get any on her feathers, just her feet. This resulted in an adorable birdy foot bath.

To contrast, this morning Ohtori shat on his rope perch and stood in it. Not having my contact lenses in, I offered my hand for him to come out of the cage, and he walked up my bare arm and almost to shoulder before I could see why his feet were cold. Cue a not-so-adorable birdy foot bath (and human arm bath...), complete with him calling me every name under the sun and raging as only a conure can. Birds

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

So um, my husband has this mini hockey jersey thing from his cards so this happened:

Do I win the "best budgie EVER" award? :smug:

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
Aww, that video of Frodo getting a bath is just the cutest. He clearly loves it, even if he didn't talk much that time. After hearing what he did say I like his little old man voice :) Have you tried just putting him under the shower head, or setting up a perch or something so he can put himself under the shower head? It looks like he would really like that.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Battle Pigeon posted:

To contrast, this morning Ohtori shat on his rope perch and stood in it. Not having my contact lenses in, I offered my hand for him to come out of the cage, and he walked up my bare arm and almost to shoulder before I could see why his feet were cold. Cue a not-so-adorable birdy foot bath (and human arm bath...), complete with him calling me every name under the sun and raging as only a conure can. Birds

Oh, ours went the same as far as her attitude, I just find it adorable.

AltruisticNemesis
Nov 7, 2007
tra la la

Lenswork posted:

Aww, that video of Frodo getting a bath is just the cutest. He clearly loves it, even if he didn't talk much that time. After hearing what he did say I like his little old man voice :) Have you tried just putting him under the shower head, or setting up a perch or something so he can put himself under the shower head? It looks like he would really like that.

He actually hates the shower head, even on the lightest of sprinkles setting. So, we had to get a cheapo water spray bottle for the finest mist. I do want to get him a shower perch so there is less water everywhere, but they are so drat costly. Maybe if he didn't eat all his fancy fruits and vegetables I'd be able to spare the money but noooOOOOOooo he needs his nuts and fruits that are out of season and vegetables cooked precisely and beans soaked for ages and fruit juices and arglebargleburgle :argh:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Those of you who feed pellets likely see your birds dunk them in water every now and then. I gave Ohtori a cheerio and he went over and dipped that in too :3:

Pip pip pip posted:

So um, my husband has this mini hockey jersey thing from his cards so this happened:

Do I win the "best budgie EVER" award? :smug:

That is indeed a pretty good budgie! Was she furious, or just confused, or something else?

PS. Someone send help, I'm drowning in yellow feathers

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

She was confused at first. Then she realized what was going on and got her revenge after the photo was taken. I totally deserved it though. Poor Sprite :ohdear:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I've been keeping an eye on Craigslist and the local exotic vets' webpage for birds that are looking for a new home, are there any good sites I should also keep tabs on?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

After intently watching Amadeus bathe in the dish on the bottom of their cage for the umpteenth time, it has finally crossed Rosy's mind that instead of hunkering on the cage floor near him and spreading her wings, she too could bathe by dunking herself into the bowl and throwing caution to the winds!

Well, sort of. She's spent the last few minutes perched on the edge of the dish and sort of daintily swimming her beak through the water in the derptiely-ist imitation of a bathing conure possible. It's like she processed the motion of Amadeus dunking himself into the water but completely failed to make the connection of actually needing to get wet to bathe.

birds.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Persuaded my partner to take the day off tomorrow, part of our activities will include going to the avian vet while she's actually there to see if she has any Harrison's pellets for us to sample/buy for Steve. We're pondering whether to take Ohtori (in his harness) or not-on one hand, it's around -3C in the day, so while he'll be in a box with a towel and mostly on the bus he might get chilly. Also, we may get charged as it could count as a checkup. On the other hand, he'd probably have fun, and we kind of want to show him off a bit. :3: Thoughts?

SquadronROE posted:

I've been keeping an eye on Craigslist and the local exotic vets' webpage for birds that are looking for a new home, are there any good sites I should also keep tabs on?

If you post your location (general or more specific) there are probably goons who could recommend you a rescue or breeder, etc in your area!

AltruisticNemesis
Nov 7, 2007
tra la la

SquadronROE posted:

Petfinder.com has birds too!

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Petfinder.com has birds too!

Cool, I'll check them out too. Thanks! Also, I'm in the lowcountry of SC but don't mind travelling about to meet birds. I'm thinking of going to Charlotte since it's the most local "big city" and seeing what I can find there.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

After intently watching Amadeus bathe in the dish on the bottom of their cage for the umpteenth time

birds.

My bird flipped the hell out when we gave him a larger dish in which to bathe. We tried two different dishes, leaving him be, showing it to him, playing in it ourselves. Nada. Bird disowned that part of the cage, and going for rides on our hand to it led to him promptly being as far away from it as possible.

Birds.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

We dropped by the avian vet today, and they had no samples or open bags for us, and only the gigantic bags to buy. However, while we were in the waiting room, there was a sickly looking peacock, and then a couple came in with a green cheeked conure! S/he was chattering away and yelled so we could hear them-and they don't sound like Ohtori at all. They were much quieter, higher pitched scream (more of a shriek while Ohtori is more of a yelling AT you) which was quieter than his, and it talked :3: They sounded ridiculous, all mumbled and computerised. Seeing it and listening to it gives more evidence to my suspicions that despite both being Pyhurra conures, Blue-throated conures are more different than was expected in comparison to GCCs and similar birds.

We asked if it was tame and why they were there, because it looked really nice but frightened somewhat in it's cage. They said that it had recently become aggressive to the dude of the couple, and they wanted to know how to fix it. We ended up talking for ages while waiting for their turn. They and my partner were speaking their native language, and I didn't speak it well enough to join in, so it was mostly my partner speaking and me picking up on bits of the conversation or being asked to clarify one or two things. I was so proud because I was hardly needed to be asked anything at all-watching my partner go on and on about 12 hour sleep cycles, removing nesting spots and boxes, not petting them in certain spots, talking about the food, doing a double take and warning them when they said they fed their bird chocolate, etc was very :3: for someone who barely even acknowledged Ohtori at first.

They were very receptive to all the advice, even when it was more negative like being critical for feeding chocolate (we weren't rude or anything, just told them woah no chocolate/caffeine/avocado/etc because it's toxic, but you know how some people could take that personally and get offended). They brought a bag of the conure's food and predictably it was a seed mix made mostly of sunflower and peanuts, so there was a talk about pellets and better seed mixes and what to look for in a prepared food... just overall a really nice discussion about lots of different aspects of parrot care and they seemed to take it all to heart. Shame we didn't think to give an email or phone number. Still feels pretty good :3:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-news/2013/02/21/kaytee-recall-salmonella-parsley-flakes.aspx

Another kaytee recall. Parsley flakes this time.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Asleep in his birdy hut!

Edit:

Also, he really doesn't like it when we cover his cage for the night. He flys over and grabs onto the side of the cage and tries to attack the sheet through the bars. We're somewhat worried he's going to injure himself doing acrobatics in the dark. Any ideas on calming him down about it? (He can't climb with his beak recall.)

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 23, 2013

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

H110Hawk posted:

Asleep in his birdy hut!

Edit:

Also, he really doesn't like it when we cover his cage for the night. He flys over and grabs onto the side of the cage and tries to attack the sheet through the bars. We're somewhat worried he's going to injure himself doing acrobatics in the dark. Any ideas on calming him down about it? (He can't climb with his beak recall.)

Try darkening the room first for 30 minutes, then cover him up.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

You kind of have to get him used to a bedtime schedule. You don't want to surprise him with bedtime, because then he'll be pissed that he can't hang out with you, even if he's tired. For us, it's taking her upstairs and saying "night night!" repeatedly, followed by putting her in her sleeping cage and covering her up. If she squawks when I go up to pee or something, I say "go the gently caress to sleep" or "night night!" again.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Pile of Kittens posted:

You kind of have to get him used to a bedtime schedule. You don't want to surprise him with bedtime, because then he'll be pissed that he can't hang out with you, even if he's tired. For us, it's taking her upstairs and saying "night night!" repeatedly, followed by putting her in her sleeping cage and covering her up. If she squawks when I go up to pee or something, I say "go the gently caress to sleep" or "night night!" again.

Yeah, we put him to bed every night at 8pm. We will try the darkening for 30 minutes before and seeing if that helps. Tonight will be easy though, the timer will turn off the lights as we're going to be out. He goes to sleep on his own then.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Are you still in the room for a while after you cover him for the night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

:birddrugs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZKEN94DydM