Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
Also, would it be wrong or imposing to follow up my phone interview with "thanks for interviewing, by the way, is the in-person interview going to be language-agnostic?" (the phone one was) cause they're mostly using a language I haven't used seriously in a couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Pie Colony posted:

Also, would it be wrong or imposing to follow up my phone interview with "thanks for interviewing, by the way, is the in-person interview going to be language-agnostic?" (the phone one was) cause they're mostly using a language I haven't used seriously in a couple years.
You may be able to ask the recruiter what to expect, assuming they're staffed by the company. While you're at it, ask the recruiter how you should dress for the interview; different places have different standards.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Pie Colony posted:

The right answer is almost always "language the job they are asking you to do requires." You should have picked that up in the phone interview.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
For applying to to jobs out of state what should I mention about relocation assistance? I plan on moving regardless so I would be willing relocate under my own cost, but of course would gladly accept assistance. Any advice how I should approach the situation? I realize some companies are not willing to pay to relocate so I would like the best chance for acquiring a job as possible.

Edit: reallocate instead of relocate hah

Don Mega fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 21, 2013

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
If you are willing to relocate out of pocket, wait until you are extended an offer before you bring it up. No reason to have it clouding the mind of your interviewers. Some companies will bring it up in the interview process but others won't. Once they extend you an offer, you can use relocation costs as a bargaining chip to negotiate a bit. Keep in mind though that the places that bring it up tend to have policies in place that they are unlikely to deviate from.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I am going back to school in the fall - I'm doing a master's in CS which is geared for non-CS majors. I am currently working on an iOS app for a company, but I am not doing actual coding as I don't really have the skills yet. We are using Adobe InDesign and we work with the content for the app. Unfortunately this project is ending in June. What kinds of jobs can I look for now? When will it be reasonable to start looking for CS internships?

thepedestrian
Dec 13, 2004
hey lady, you call him dr. jones!

Doghouse posted:

I am going back to school in the fall - I'm doing a master's in CS which is geared for non-CS majors. I am currently working on an iOS app for a company, but I am not doing actual coding as I don't really have the skills yet. We are using Adobe InDesign and we work with the content for the app. Unfortunately this project is ending in June. What kinds of jobs can I look for now? When will it be reasonable to start looking for CS internships?

Without having demonstrable skills, a CS degree (finished or in progress) or any projects to point to you're kind of poo poo out of luck. CS major undergrads with a year of school are in a better position than you (though not that much better). You'd be better off hunkering down, learning skills, working on projects and then applying for summer internships after your fall semester.

Also, you could find some internship postings for this summer that look interesting, go through the requirements/skills listed and work on being able to demonstrate that you can fulfill them so you'll be in a good position to apply for the internship next year.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Thanks. It could be any kind of job, though - I realize I won't be able to get CS-related jobs. I'm looking for anything that will make me a bit of money.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doghouse posted:

Thanks. It could be any kind of job, though - I realize I won't be able to get CS-related jobs. I'm looking for anything that will make me a bit of money.

If you don't need a CS job, the money is all in prostitution and drugs.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Doghouse posted:

You could get a contract QA job. QA is not the most fun in the world, but
a) there's low barrier to entry (do you have a college degree y/n?)
b) it's decent money
c) it gives you exposure to the vocabulary you will need to B.S. your way into a development job
d) and it looks better on the resume than McDonalds.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Sometimes there is a stigma associated with people who've worked in QA though. I know people who will see a developer resume with past experience doing QA and think: "This guy wasn't good enough to be a develop at that job, do I want him as one here?"

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....
Anyone wanna comment on my Resume? Details have been made generic.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Too generic. Reduce to one page, move experience above education, actually describe stuff you've done rather than your job responsibilities.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Rename "Overview of Qualifications" to "Qualifications". Or maybe "Skills". Your real qualification is that you don't suck at programming.

Don't use "&" in the qualifications lists, it's crass. Rename the Source Management line to Version Control. GIT should not be in all-caps. Is it really worth mentioning Visual Studio 2010 and 2012 separately? Is it really worth mentioning MS MVC 3 and 4? What is "Microsoft Web API (REST)"? A specific way of using Microsoft Web API? (Some people will think that REST is just a thing by itself and wonder if you know what you're talking about. Maybe that's the right way to say that, though.) Drop the "Strong attention to detail" line, that's a bullshit line and everybody knows it.

Are you graduating this spring? Write September 2009 - May 2013, instead of writing "Present", so that people know this.

Combine the Volunteer Experience and Other Involvements sections.

"Member of <group / society>": Nobody cares.

"Participant in <programming competitions>": Nobody cares unless you won or ranked high.

"References available on request": Redundant with obviosity.

Don't repeat your skills section in your Work Experience section. Tell what you actually did in a way that doesn't sound lame. People don't need to be told that you got your C# and ASP.NET experience in the place where you used MS MVC to do stuff.

"Experience with unit and functional testing, including test-driven development." That's a noun. Say "Wrote unit tests and functional tests, using test-driven development," or say something better and more concise than that. Apply the same philosophy to other noun-lines in your Work Experience section. I'd write things that sound more like "Made an Exchange scraper in C# for scoring and ranking intercompany relationships." That's better than "Did back-end development in C#." (How is ASP.NET even back-end development, anyway? Sounds like front-end to me.)

Compress your Volunteer Experience to one or two lines, because its presence will serve by indicating that you're maybe not some total shitlord, but nobody cares what you did. The ampersands in that section are also crass. Three of the lines in that section aren't even volunteer experience.

Edit: Warning, semi-sperg-post above

shrughes fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 23, 2013

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I think there should be some sort of note in the OP asking people to state their qualifications when giving advice and poo poo. I mean, sure you have input XYZ on this resume or career advice on whatever, but how large of a grain of salt do I need to be taking these suggestions with? Especially on resume reviews I feel that people should say, "I was in charge of hiring CS people at a company (or company X or whatever)". I keep a pretty close eye on this thread and despite that I couldn't say what any of the regular posters real-world experience is (except for maybe how!!).

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

Tres Burritos posted:

I think there should be some sort of note in the OP asking people to state their qualifications when giving advice and poo poo. I mean, sure you have input XYZ on this resume or career advice on whatever, but how large of a grain of salt do I need to be taking these suggestions with?

How about the same grain of salt you take with everything else posted by random people on the internet? Would you trust me more if I told you I was in charge of hiring for a 50 person team at Amazon?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
For that matter, I'd like feedback on my feedback. I've looked at resumes from the hiring side of things and have been involved in a few "should we even phone screen this person" decisions, as well as filtering away a bunch of easily-disqualified resumes from a career fair, but my opinion on things isn't the same as other people's. Also, I bet I criticize on details won't matter, (but could matter) like the inconsistent or snotty use of ampersands.

Are there people that really find a "Strong attention to detail" line useful? Are there people that will think, "My gosh, this person doesn't have references!" if a References Available On Request line isn't present? Maybe not people in this thread, but do these people really exist in real life?

In my previous post I probably could have added, "Don't be so quick to compress things once you hit 1 page."

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

shrughes posted:

For that matter, I'd like feedback on my feedback. I've looked at resumes from the hiring side of things and have been involved in a few "should we even phone screen this person" decisions, as well as filtering away a bunch of easily-disqualified resumes from a career fair, but my opinion on things isn't the same as other people's. Also, I bet I criticize on details won't matter, (but could matter) like the inconsistent or snotty use of ampersands.

Are there people that really find a "Strong attention to detail" line useful? Are there people that will think, "My gosh, this person doesn't have references!" if a References Available On Request line isn't present? Maybe not people in this thread, but do these people really exist in real life?

In my previous post I probably could have added, "Don't be so quick to compress things once you hit 1 page."

I pretty much agree with your spergpost. And appreciate the casual usage of 'shitlord'.

You won't get people posting details of their lives because this is the Internet, and half of you are probably creepy stalkers. Take everything with the biggest grain of salt, and treat everyone's advice as merely ideas to consider.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Pweller posted:

Take everything with the biggest grain of salt, and treat everyone's advice as merely ideas to consider.

Well yeah, but sometimes even a little throwaway, "When I've been looking to hire in the past" or whatever soothes my nerves.

Nippashish posted:

How about the same grain of salt you take with everything else posted by random people on the internet? Would you trust me more if I told you I was in charge of hiring for a 50 person team at Amazon?

The reason I read this forum is because i *hope* the :10bux: and mods contribute to a little more honesty in replies than the average youtube comment.

Tres Burritos fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 23, 2013

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Tres Burritos posted:

Well yeah, but sometimes even a little throwaway, "When I've been looking to hire in the past" or whatever soothes my nerves.

The reason I read this forum is because i *hope* the :10bux: and mods contribute to a little more honesty in replies than the average youtube comment.

People are giving free advice, what you're suggesting could cause people to not contribute. I get why you want it but it isn't worth it.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

armorer posted:

Sometimes there is a stigma associated with people who've worked in QA though. I know people who will see a developer resume with past experience doing QA and think: "This guy wasn't good enough to be a develop at that job, do I want him as one here?"
If you develop coding skills you may be able to advance from QA to SDET internally and go from there. Companies are generally more willing to take a chance on job switches like this if they already know you and you already know the product you're working on.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
Say I got an internship automating tests because that's what they needed. Should I worry about having that on my resume or is that more of a worry for "real" jobs?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Safe and Secure! posted:

Say I got an internship automating tests because that's what they needed. Should I worry about having that on my resume or is that more of a worry for "real" jobs?

Don't worry.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Don't worry, it's an internship. At many places internships will be about doing standalone, non-IP-sensitive, 'nice-to-have' work like that.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Safe and Secure! posted:

I should have added a caveat to my statement above, which is that everyone loves automated testing. I don't think that would be a problem.

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
The flipside of that is that I could teach my mom, who is a smart person who's never coded a thing in her life, how to write automated tests in like 2 weeks. It's not a very sexy job, but it is low stress and usually the same pay as dev. Hell, I was the highest-paid intern in the company in both my test internships, and the other interns were devs and EEs.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Don't scoff at the skill level needed for automated tests, it can get pretty serious business. As a matter of fact devs should write automated tests, for many reasons including the fact as only devs can really unit tests to test parts of their code directly and efficiently, because automated tests are very useful during development and supporting development, but also because maintaining a suite of tests for a big application can be a significant engineering effort. Sure it's fine if you have 50 UI tests which take 10 minutes to run, but what if the project was larger and instead of 50 you had 10,000? What if 2,000 of them failed at some point for some reason?

It's not uncommon for software teams who are new to test automation thing to delegate testing to most junior team members and interns, and in doing so shoot themselves in foot, as the test suite grows into a slow and uncontrollable mess.

However, as an intern I would definitely go for it and proudly put it on resume, that's a very useful skill area to have experience with.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
This post immediately above mine echoes my thoughts on this. Especially if you're using selenium to test a fully JavaScript app like something using Ext. in that case there's really no good way to record tests, and you're pretty quickly going to end up writing the full load of utility methods and abstraction layers to write maintainable/readable test suites. That sounds very much a dev thing.

Screenshot-based tools like sikuli, or apps that don't have the inherently asynchronous annoyances of JS over the Internet are perhaps in a better place for non-devs

Lurchington fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 23, 2013

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
My experience with automated tests created by non-developers is that they're brittle, take forever to run, and don't even really manage to test much. There's plenty of things where writing good tests is at least as hard as making the thing.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

hieronymus posted:

You could get a contract QA job. QA is not the most fun in the world, but
a) there's low barrier to entry (do you have a college degree y/n?)
b) it's decent money
c) it gives you exposure to the vocabulary you will need to B.S. your way into a development job
d) and it looks better on the resume than McDonalds.

Can you tell me more about this?

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

Lurchington posted:

Especially if you're using selenium to test a fully JavaScript app like something using Ext. in that case there's really no good way to record tests, and you're pretty quickly going to end up writing the full load of utility methods and abstraction layers to write maintainable/readable test suites.

Actually, that's pretty much what I did, even using Selenium. Minus Ext.

Glad to hear this should look good.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
The project I am working on now has decent unit test coverage, but the real gem is that we have a suite of ~1200 selenium tests that run through every user workflow the application contains. They also cover all known issues, and whenever a bug is found a test is written or modified to cover it - so we have a 0% regression rate. The devs help write and maintain some of the selenium tests, but we have a dedicated tester on our team whose job it is to build and maintain that test suite. I wouldn't trade him for anything, and get very possessive when management wants to borrow him for a few weeks for a different project every now and then.

That said, he wouldn't be effective as a developer on the team. He doesn't know the libraries/tools and he doesn't have experience with data structures and algorithms. If he had done this job as an intern though, and then gone on to do software development work at another internship, I would see it as a strong plus for him that he already knew about automated testing and had real world experience in it.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I had an interview that went pretty well yesterday. 4-5 fairly standard technical questions, all of which I handled okay (one with a little prodding). Keeping my fingers crossed, but they interviewed a pretty good amount of people from what I understand. I think the hardest part for me at this point is competing with people who were CS undergrads and have been doing this longer than I have. Even if I can handle technical interview questions, I feel like there will always be people with more projects or relevant coursework under their belt.

I'm thinking about applying for the 2-3 other jobs I have flagged and handing my search off to a recruiter so I can focus strictly on the independent projects I've been working on and have a little bit more to show.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 18, 2013

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I'm running a crowdfunding campaign to get my web app off the ground, but if that fails I need a plan B, namely a job. While realistically I'll do anything to support the family, fall back on my maritime qualifications or just local unqualified work, working from home using the skill set I've built up in development would be my preferred option.

The main problem is I'm unqualified and only high school educated if you ignore my maritime qualifications (Second in Charge on vessels up to 80m in length if you're interested). Locally I'm not really spoiled for choice either so I'd likely have to get a job that allows me to work remote. All I have is the work I've done, the main of those being a Python / Django web app I've designed from the ground up, and an offline Javascript application I've prototyped using AngularJS. Both are available online at the moment. My portfolio site is just a short single page deal, but it shows all the things I've done, http://fullandbydesign.com.au

I guess my question is this: as someone who has never held a job in the computer biz, do I have a change in hell of getting a remote job? And if I do, how would I best go about presenting the work I've done? Should I put in a resume a break down of specific kinds of things I've implemented in my applications to give a range of the problems I've solved in my development?

I'm not choosy about the type of role, certainly doesn't have to be development, just support or QA is something I'd be happy to do. I'd just rather be in a space that will allow me to continue to improve my skills in development rather than throwing in the towel and going to stack shelves or something.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Doghouse posted:

Can you tell me more about this?

Go on indeed or craigslist or dice or monster or whatever for your city:
http://www.indeed.com/q-Entry-Level-Quality-Assurance-jobs.html

Note that the education requirements are very flexible - I've seen "made it halfway through college working on a philosophy degree" be substituted for "computer science degree." You may also consider googling any word you don't know in the job posting just so you can pull the "I know about it, but haven't worked with it" card in the interview.

You're not trying to get a job with a major company itself - you're shooting for a temp agency. If you send your resume in, they'll interview you and see if they can place you with their client. There might be a weekend of training, and then the client company will interview you.

Within a span of a week you may have your very own 15-20$ an hour job with your own cubicle where you never, ever, ever have to talk to a customer or lift heavy things.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Maluco Marinero posted:

My portfolio site is just a short single page deal, but it shows all the things I've done, http://fullandbydesign.com.au

I guess my question is this: as someone who has never held a job in the computer biz, do I have a change in hell of getting a remote job? And if I do, how would I best go about presenting the work I've done? Should I put in a resume a break down of specific kinds of things I've implemented in my applications to give a range of the problems I've solved in my development?
I think your stuff looks quite good; although I haven't seen your code, I'd say your chances of landing a dev position with that portfolio are substantial. Don't sell yourself short.

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!

Maluco Marinero posted:

I'm running a crowdfunding campaign to get my web app off the ground, but if that fails I need a plan B, namely a job. While realistically I'll do anything to support the family, fall back on my maritime qualifications or just local unqualified work, working from home using the skill set I've built up in development would be my preferred option.

The main problem is I'm unqualified and only high school educated if you ignore my maritime qualifications (Second in Charge on vessels up to 80m in length if you're interested). Locally I'm not really spoiled for choice either so I'd likely have to get a job that allows me to work remote. All I have is the work I've done, the main of those being a Python / Django web app I've designed from the ground up, and an offline Javascript application I've prototyped using AngularJS. Both are available online at the moment. My portfolio site is just a short single page deal, but it shows all the things I've done, http://fullandbydesign.com.au

I'm not choosy about the type of role, certainly doesn't have to be development, just support or QA is something I'd be happy to do. I'd just rather be in a space that will allow me to continue to improve my skills in development rather than throwing in the towel and going to stack shelves or something.
I really like the design of your portfolio site. You seem to be a competent dev, I would have no trouble hiring you, if I had the opportunity.

Wasse
Jan 16, 2010

Safe and Secure! posted:

I think this would be a positive. Having some background in testing (especially as an internship) is a great thing - especially if you can leverage it (in the interview) to explain how it help makes you a better developer. Seeing things from the testing side, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I had an interview that went pretty well yesterday. 4-5 fairly standard technical questions, all of which I handled okay (one with a little prodding).

Not sure if this is common at other places, but when I give interviews the goal is to require prodding. When a RCG joins, they're not going to be independently trailblazing new domains, they're going to be owning a part of a larger whole. A person's ability to know when they're stuck, and to a larger extent their willingness to ask for help, is an important characteristic.