Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

And the kickstarter is up: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/e6absolutetreasure/electric-six-live-dvd-absolute-treasure

There's a lot of rare stuff in the higher level rewards, and some of it is gone already. I'm just going to go for a t-shirt/dvd set myself.

I can't decide between the shirt or the concert print. This is the worst day of my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I pledged for a cover song.
I am bad with money.

The first things that popped into my head were "Maneater" or "Private Eyes", but I'm gonna decide with my friends and they'll probably chip in a few bucks each at least.

(if anyone else wants to chip in some money too after we decide on a song that would also be nice but I'm not holding my breath)

:ohdear:

CruJones
Feb 22, 2006

by Lowtax
I know there's at least one other Columbia, MO goon that frequents this thread. If you were unaware, E6 is playing Mojo's tonight.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

It looks like there's almost no way they won't hit the kickstarter goal at this point, which is nice.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
It got funded last night, I think. They're up to $26,085 now, with 40 days still to go, AND they've added two more cover song packages, one of which is already gone.

I hope they make close to $40,000 and do something really special with it. I'll be backing the blu-ray/poster pledge next week. Some really great stuff on offer that I wish I were able to get in on before it went.

Erdnase
Nov 9, 2009

he needs the money
Just grabbed a blu-ray. Totally wish I had more cash so I could grab something special.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Thanks so much everyone for making this thread and especially posting that Kickstarter. E6 is unironically one of my favorite bands and without a doubt in my top ten best live shows of all time.

My Electric Six live show story, which actually pertains to the thread title: Entire band is rocking along to "Improper Dancing," Dick Valentine makes it to the part where he yells STOP! which is when the entire band stops playing and walks off the stage to go bullshit with the audience. Meanwhile Dick Valentine, alone on stage, drops his pants and grabs a guitar and plays "Jimmy Carter." Band files back on stage, Dick hitches up his pants, yells "CONTINUE!" and they finish playing the song. Incredible.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
My improper dancing story was they were playing here in Minneapolis and had gotten a star on the wall outside the venue "kind of a big deal". During the stop/continue part they had everyone go outside and look at the new star with their name on it. Then came back in and finished the song.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

My non-improper dancing story was when I took my dad to a show. His favorite movie is Wings of Desire and my favorite E6 song at the time was "dance epidemic", and Dick tells the audience "Two more songs and it's over. But I'm not gonna tell you about a dance epidemic, I'm not gonna tell you about a dance epidemic..." and then goes into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VTrSmLEtWw&t=1s

And here's a great exchange between Dick and a jackass in a polo shirt that may have been posted before but it's awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBUeN5g3IvQ

CruJones
Feb 22, 2006

by Lowtax

Harry Privates posted:

My improper dancing story was they were playing here in Minneapolis and had gotten a star on the wall outside the venue "kind of a big deal". During the stop/continue part they had everyone go outside and look at the new star with their name on it. Then came back in and finished the song.

gently caress. I've seen them 4 times now and they've never done anything like that.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
They've never played Improper Dancing when I've seen them, but one time when I saw them, Dick got off the stage after the show and gave everyone in the crowd hugs which was pretty neat.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Johnny Na$hinal let my then 10 year old brother play guitar during We Were Witchy White Women.

Erdnase
Nov 9, 2009

he needs the money
Last December when I saw them Dick Valentine held a baguette the entire time. Didn't put it down once. Didn't even take a bite.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I guess I'm the only person in the world whose favorite E6 song is Your Heat is Rising.

They're gonna be near me at the end of the month, gotta find someone who wants to go. It won't be an easy feat; most of the people I know hate their "stupid music."

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Go alone you won't regret it.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Harry Privates posted:

Go alone you won't regret it.

Unfortunately the concert is like 25 minutes away from me and I don't drive, so I have to find a concert buddy with a car.

I'm definitely going even if it means I have to tell someone "drive me to Grand Rapids and you can sit in the back and get drunk while I dance my rear end off" but I'd much rather go with someone who would enjoy the show as well.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
I just got my tickets for the September 7th show. To paraphrase Dick: I'm going to be on a live DVD.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
I'm glad I ran across this thread because it reminded me to check if Six are playing a show here, and they are on the 27th!

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Awesome show last night... Not sure if Valentine was on copious amount of drugs when he came out or does he look like that all the time, but he's a total pro... They're playing a free show in Kingston tonight for those of you in the area.

Corley
Feb 2, 2010

Seeing these guys in Ottawa tomorrow for the first time. Good to see the general consensus is that they're good live.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Looks like Switzerland and I Shall Exterminate Everything Around Me That Restricts Me From Being The Master are gone from Spotify, at least here in Finland. This is a terrible tragedy, now I'm going to have to actually put all those songs on my phone (and gently caress around with playlists because the Spotify Android app is a piece of poo poo and doesn't recognize local content).

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I fell in love with these guys the instant I heard the intro to Vibrator which was more Devo than Devo.

I just wish they'd come to Australia - does anyone know if they've done any Aussie tours in the past?

bunnychunks
Mar 23, 2005

no dice

Breetai posted:

I fell in love with these guys the instant I heard the intro to Vibrator which was more Devo than Devo.

I just wish they'd come to Australia - does anyone know if they've done any Aussie tours in the past?

2005 I believe. Egregious!!!!!!! I wish they would come back, I am so jealous of seeing all the shows they do in 'merica and what not.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Stop!

Just seen Dick in the Liverpool O2 and it was an amazing show by both him and the opening. Also seeing E6 in the same place in December.

Continue!

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Phisty posted:

Seeing these guys in Ottawa tomorrow for the first time. Good to see the general consensus is that they're good live.

Got a surprise for you, the entire concert in HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_ygXV1eBJ0

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Good news for Spotify users:

quote:

Hi Mitchell Jones

I Shall Exterminate Everything Around Me That Restricts Me From Being The Master and 1 other album by Electric Six are now available on Spotify!

Nice of them to let me know.

Oatcakes
May 30, 2013

And when they've given you there all,
Some stagger and fall,
After all,
It's not easy!
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.
Oooooh my, I remember the first time I listened to Electric Six. They're the kind of band that make you want to dance like an idiot, and laugh like a psycho.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Oatcakes posted:

Oooooh my, I remember the first time I listened to Electric Six. They're the kind of band that make you want to dance like an idiot, and laugh like a psycho.

I remember in 2003 they were playing the Danger! video 24/7 in Europe, it was love at first sight

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

It's been a while, so let's catch up.

Electric Six's next album is called Mustang and is out in October. There is a listening party on Sept 5th (two nights before the Absolute Treasure filming) at Small's in Hamtramck, Michigan.

New North American dates have been announced for Sep/Oct in support of the new album. Tickets for the DVD filming are still available: http://concerts.livenation.com/even...mfeedbuyat97249

There is also a(nother) kickstarter for a documentary called It Came From Detroit, going over garage rock from Detroit with music from E6, The von Bondies, The go and others, and interviews with Dick Valentine. It reached its target already, but may be of interest to y'all. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/plusoneproductions/it-came-from-detroit-0

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Erdnase posted:

Last December when I saw them Dick Valentine held a baguette the entire time. Didn't put it down once. Didn't even take a bite.

When I saw them in Indy last year he had an entire bottle of Boone's Farm, sometimes holding it and waving it around, sometimes leaving it sitting somewhere, but never drinking it. After the show he was hanging out by the bar and, when he wasn't looking, the girl I was with drank about half of it.

When I saw them in Indy this year, I mentioned the incident to him and apologized on her behalf (mostly as an excuse to talk to him). He looked sort of shocked for a moment and said he remembered. No idea if he actually did remember, but very awesome if he did. :cool:

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

MUSTANG
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151659283383762

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

They just updated their Facebook bio, as well.

"The wild horse. We romanticize this magnificent creature and rightly so. We marvel at the horse that dares to run free through mountain streams and mountain poo poo, forging his own path, blazing his own trails. We marvel at his dangerously high sperm count and his ability to mount and gently caress. We know he spends his downtime whinnying in delight that he is never going to spend his life partially encased in leather, serving no other function than to trot slowly with his head hanging down miserably alongside other poor souls just like him as they carry a field trip of fourth graders from the suburbs who crack themselves up whenever he sports an uncontrollable erection. The wild horse…gets hard whenever he wants. And nobody laughs. And he loves that about himself.

The American male needs to feel like a wild horse from time to time. Electric Six is a band from Detroit comprised of six American males. The American male, upon birth, is issued three Wild Horse Cards™ from the United States Department of Agriculture and he can play this card at any point in his life when he needs to feel like a wild horse for a year. 2013 is the year that all six members of Electric Six are electing to play one of their cards at the same time. The result is Electric Six’s ninth studio album, “Mustang”.

The band is recharged having taken its first “break” from making a studio album in seven years. Couple that restored energy with the playing of the six Wild Horse Cards™ at the same time, and “Mustang” is the audio story of Electric Six reaching the summit of Mt. Good Times.

Producer Johnny Nashinal is the sherpa, executing a 14-track ascent that leaves everyone gasping for oxygen, but in the best possible way. The Roky Erikson-meets-T.Rex opener “Nom de Plume” makes it clear right away that Electric Six has got that whole “let’s do a synth and drum machine record” thing off their chest, and they’ve brought their guitars, their drums, and their blood-curdling screams for this one, yes indeed. The album then winds through the psych-pop of “Jessica Dresses Like a Dragon”, the Pavement-pop of “Show Me What Your Lights Mean”, and the aggro-pop of “Adam Levine”.

But this is Electric Six, mind you. They are the band that will never be tied to just one sound. And so we also find on Mustang a first-time dip of the toe into the P-funk pool in “Late Night Obama Food”, as well a stroll down ABC lane for “The New Shampoo”. And W. Axl Rose will be looking down from wherever he ended up with a big smile as we get to the summer amphitheatre-friendly “I Never hosed Her”.

The anchor track “Iron Dragon” is the most compelling story, not only for its ability to sound like both a Nick Cave ballad AND a Warrant/Poison/Skid Row ballad, but also for something much more profound. The outro of “Iron Dragon” was recorded in Moscow’s Red Square, a choral squadron comprised of the six American males from E6 singing alongside several Russian females. There is nothing that makes an American male feel more like a wild horse than singing with Russian girls in the very place where freedom came to live and die, live again hey baby maybe not so fast.

“Mustang” is Electric Six’s ninth studio album. It is distributed by Metropolis Records and will be released in October 2013. You can come see Electric Six on tour in the United States in September and October on the “Save The World, Save The World” tour . And look out for Electric Six in the UK and parts of Europe in November and December."

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
So I finally got back from the Absolute Treasure show and holy poo poo it was amazing. While Electric Six never disappoints live, they brought their A+ game for this one. 2 hours on stage and 20+ songs, some of which I wasn't expecting to hear (Transatlantic Flight, Rip It, Pulling The Plug On The Party, We Were Witchy Witchy White Women, Steal Your Bones) along with most of the more familiar live tracks. Only one song from Mustang, which was a little surprising. The crowd was also great and had a lot of energy. I had one of Percussion World's drum sticks that he threw into the audience after the show bounce off of my fingertips, but I got to shake his hand a few minutes later so that kind of made up for it. This is what they posted on their Facebook page about the show:

Electric Six on Facebook posted:

Crazies...tonight's Absolute Treasure show in Detroit at Saint Andrew's Hall was an all time great. We couldn't have done it without you...those from Detroit and those who traveled great distances to join us alike should be proud of being such a big part of what made tonight spectacular. We think the resulting DVD/Blu Ray is going to be worthy of all the time, resources and attention spent on it by us and by you, the Crazies. Thanks again for one of the best gigs in band history. You were witnesses.

I know that I'm preaching to the choir, but the DVD is going to be a must get if you're not already getting it from backing the Kickstarter.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

3 new songs posted for streaming:

https://www.reverbnation.com/electric6?profile_view_source=profile_box

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
Not so keen on Nom de Plume, Show Me What Your Lights Mean is classic E6 though and I'm still childish enough to love Adam Levine.

Pretty pumped overall, it's weird when a band takes a year out of making new material (for the first time in nearly ten years) and it feels like it's been too long.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Also they confirmed that there will be a tour only vinyl copy of the album available:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink...._t=feed_comment

Uniscott
Sep 19, 2013
I had started listening to Fire today. drat there is so much good funky sounds and the lyrics are so over the top, it's great

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
I think Senor Smoke is basically as good as Fire. So make sure you check out that album, too. However, Switzerland is my favorite of their's.

Uniscott
Sep 19, 2013

nihil morari posted:

I think Senor Smoke is basically as good as Fire. So make sure you check out that album, too. However, Switzerland is my favorite of their's.

Thanks, I'll check these out too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

They're all good except for most of KILL. And Heartbeats is kinda hit or miss, but some of the stuff on it is AWESOME.

• Locked thread