Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Had fun doing a pregnancy announcement shoot for some friends. I think I need to invest in some lights finally, though, they picked a very shady wall and I'm afraid my monitor is not calibrated. Needs more, and all I have are reflector bobs I am unsure how to really use.

BABY-5 by thepaisleyfox, on Flickr

BABY-12 by thepaisleyfox, on Flickr

BABY-30 by thepaisleyfox, on Flickr

I also failed to noticed the trash can in some of the shots. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

paisleyfox posted:

Had fun doing a pregnancy announcement shoot for some friends. I think I need to invest in some lights finally, though, they picked a very shady wall and I'm afraid my monitor is not calibrated. Needs more, and all I have are reflector bobs I am unsure how to really use.

BABY-5 by thepaisleyfox, on Flickr

BABY-12 by thepaisleyfox, on Flickr

BABY-30 by thepaisleyfox, on Flickr

I also failed to noticed the trash can in some of the shots. :doh:

The shots are well composed and really cool, but I agree about the shady wall, the first two do look a little underexposed.

The third shot is neat though!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

The third one is money. Shooting kids is tough enough, but this has a lot of personality in a simple shot.

Oprah Haza posted:

Would recommend shopping out the wall corner off his head in the first photo and the vignette in the second. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the third but on first glance it looks cool.

Very fun second photo, would recommend having him take off glasses or pop the glasses out the frame to avoid the break in his face.

The first works great. The second seems good in concept, but only the small mirror in the bottom of the large mirror seems to really grab my attention. The third is just straight up her nose, no going back.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?
I posted this in the "Show yourself"-thread as well, but I'm thinking maybe I'd try here too.
Self-portrait - trying to convey my feelings of last year, which was pretty crap. All better now, though!

And this that I took of a friend today. He wanted to look "badass":

I think his eyes are a bit dark, but I can't seem to get it quite 'right' using the dodge tool. Guess I'll just have to practice!

I'm quite new to photography and I want to learn, so any helpful critique is welcome.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

My constructive critique for this photograph: "This owns hard."

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
That is an amazing rendition of an otherwise very generic portrait. thankyou.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

FistLips posted:

I think his eyes are a bit dark, but I can't seem to get it quite 'right' using the dodge tool. Guess I'll just have to practice!

I'm quite new to photography and I want to learn, so any helpful critique is welcome.

This isn't lit. Im sorry, but you're never going to get the shot you want by relying on post work to make it happen. You need to figure out your lighting in camera.

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 19, 2013

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

McMadCow posted:

This isn't lit. Im sorry, but you're never going to get the shot you want by relying on post work to make it happen. You need to figure out your lighting in camera.

Yes, that's what I mean by having to practice. I do have an OK flash but I'm still learning how to use it. A flash stand and umbrella are on their way in the mail and might help a bit. How would I go about taking this pic better without that though? Just exposing it a step or two lighter? While taking it I mean, not in post.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

make it black and white

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

FistLips posted:

Yes, that's what I mean by having to practice. I do have an OK flash but I'm still learning how to use it. A flash stand and umbrella are on their way in the mail and might help a bit. How would I go about taking this pic better without that though? Just exposing it a step or two lighter? While taking it I mean, not in post.

No, what I meant is that is wasn't shot with consideration to lighting, not how much light you expose it with. The light wasn't hitting the right parts of his face, there's no dynamic range to the light anywhere in the scene. Light is your language, you need to use it that way. Light should describe the physical shape of the thing you're shooting, and it just isn't here. You need to look at how and where the light is hitting your subject. That doesn't mean you need to bring in artificial lighting, either, it just means you need to understand how the light in your space is working and maximize it for your application.

This is a repost, but it was shot in natural light with no reflectors or anything.

Saint by McMadCow, on Flickr

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

McMadCow posted:

No, what I meant is that is wasn't shot with consideration to lighting, not how much light you expose it with. The light wasn't hitting the right parts of his face, there's no dynamic range to the light anywhere in the scene. Light is your language, you need to use it that way. Light should describe the physical shape of the thing you're shooting, and it just isn't here. You need to look at how and where the light is hitting your subject. That doesn't mean you need to bring in artificial lighting, either, it just means you need to understand how the light in your space is working and maximize it for your application.

This is a repost, but it was shot in natural light with no reflectors or anything.

Yeah, basically all of this +1.

Although I'd consider McMadCow more of a master of shadow than light.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

McMadCow posted:

Thanks a bunch for the feedback! I understand what you're saying, but I guess I'm not technically at the level yet where I can make the camera do what I want it to :)

I'll keep taking pictures and trying to improve, though! And probably post them here so you can see my progress...hopefully :)

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Paragon8 posted:

Although I'd consider McMadCow more of a master of shadow than light.

Hah, thanks.
On that note, I actually just printed this today. Natural light, but I was really careful about where I put her.

Juliette by McMadCow, on Flickr

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
This thread is so good! I don't really contribute much here mainly due to lack of opportunity. I'm also nervous about posed shots so I tend to turn down opportunities when I get them.

I'm going to go on a mad spamming spree but I've made the pictures really small so hopefully it's not too intrusive. I've chosen to post these photos here but there are more in the set here: CLICK HERE!

I can narrow them down even more if I wanted to. I think my favourites are 5, 6, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 19, 20, 21, 23, 24, 27 which is basically half of these images.

I could do with a bit of feedback because I am such a novice at this. I don't really know how to direct. I don't really know what I'm looking for. I sort of just made them stand there while I chatted to them and pressed the button. I had two external flashes with umbrellas and I sort of just did trial and error. Looking through this thread and then comparing them to mine, I feel like my skill level really shows. I went for basic and safe processing - little bit contrasty and a little bit vignetty. Ahhhh this people stuff is hard! I find the candid thing much easier.

Thanks!

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I really like all of those. 13, 21 and 25 are my favourites. That B&W one is awesome.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Juliette by McMadCow, on Flickr

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Clown posted:

(a lot of pictures)

There are some good pictures here, and it's not against the rules to post a lot of pictures (nor is it going to be), but it'd be cool if we could stay away from multi-page-long megaposts.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
Thank you :)

Maybe that's another thing I need to learn - how to be more selective?

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Clown, I'm pretty new to photography, so you can take my critique with a grain of salt. It seemed like the focus on a lot of them was either soft, or something. Also 5,6,& 7 could have been pretty cool because of the floor concave but the background is distracting and you lose a lot of detail being so far away. I think being closer (or zoomed in) and maybe on a different level (higher or lower) would have maybe made the pictures more engaging. Overall it seems like they are relaxed and having fun, which shows, and your found some ways to make most the pictures interesting so good job. Just my two cents.

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 21, 2013

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Dial M for MURDER posted:

Clown, I'm pretty new to photography, so you can take my critique with a grain of salt.

If you have eyes in your head with a brain attached to them, your critique is as valid as anyone else's.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!

SoundMonkey posted:

If you have eyes in your head with a brain attached to them, your critique is as valid as anyone else's.
I could not have put it better myself :)

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Brian sweats it out by thetzar, on Flickr

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I really like this :) The tones are really nice, and the hands add mystery.

----

I was at target with my friend, and i noticed the lights made this really neat futuristic pattern, so I took a portrait of him with the lines meeting near his head. I processed the photo to make it look really sterile and white, what I imagine the future to look like. I'm really curious what people think. :)

Shopping in the future. by francography, on Flickr

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Very cool. It kind of mirrors the feeling I sometimes get in shopping centers -- they're so artificially uniform, sterile, and carefully crafted.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

somnambulist posted:

I was at target with my friend, and i noticed the lights made this really neat futuristic pattern, so I took a portrait of him with the lines meeting near his head. I processed the photo to make it look really sterile and white, what I imagine the future to look like. I'm really curious what people think. :)

Well you can process the goddamn horizon level while you're at it :argh:

Apart from that, looking good

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Well you can process the goddamn horizon level while you're at it :argh:

Apart from that, looking good

I think that the slight angle adds to the feel of the picture - it makes the viewer feel more discombobulated and uneasy. That you have a picture about strong lines creating depth that's just ever so slightly askew

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

I'm sure you get asked this all the time but what do you shoot on? I know you do your own developing, I would like to get to that point soon.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Oprah Haza posted:

I'm sure you get asked this all the time but what do you shoot on? I know you do your own developing, I would like to get to that point soon.

You mean what film stock? That was Tri-X, shot at 320 with a little bit of a pull in developing.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

McMadCow posted:

You mean what film stock? That was Tri-X, shot at 320 with a little bit of a pull in developing.

Please start telling people you use snapseed presets on an iphone.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
And another.

Rrothbart is the Bboss by thetzar, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Untitled by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Those are some great Pissed Avians

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I'm wondering why he red bird has a hitler moustache.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
With the ladyfriend today. After this I got rid of one of the 430exII/brolly and started playing around with the shadows and just the 580exII in the softbox which was fun but she wasn't really happy with her look (no makeup/hair etc) so that's for next time we go out there with some props and costumes and start playing with them... I'm still new to this just getting a feel for keeping the lights balanced. Also this was midday or so so heaps of light coming in through sky lights.

Also my monitor is hosed callibration wise so let me know what you think might be out... I'm having a really hard time trying to find out wherte to callibrate this particular monitor (benq g2420HD)

Jaimee by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 24, 2013

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

I think this is to an extent. I spend a lot of time thinking about criticism and such. I think artists are free to disregard criticism as well and developing a good sense of what is good criticism is important for an artist/photographer. If someone was like "yo, McMadCow. It's 2013 why are you shooting in black and white?" I think that McMadCow is perfectly entitled to ignore that. If we took everybody's criticism on board we'd just end up shooting designed by committee.

It can be tough because even great photographers are colored by their experience and style so their criticism might not be valuable to you, and it can be intimidating to disregard that. Like one of the best photographers I assist prefers the work I shoot that is more similar to theirs but I get booked for jobs on the style that they don't like so by virtue of that I focus more on what brings in work. One of the reasons I don't post in this thread is because my work probably goes against what the majority of people think is good but I know it gets me work so I choose to value that over what this thread might think.

So I suppose every critique is valid but it is fine to ignore it as well.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I'm not very good at this.

Kim by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Tyler by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I did an interior shoot earlier today at a friend's house today. Took a minute to shoot one them.

Todd and Ryah by geeves, on Flickr

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

geeves posted:

I did an interior shoot earlier today at a friend's house today. Took a minute to shoot one them.

Todd and Ryah by geeves, on Flickr

care to share pictures of the house? looks really neat!

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Tawney by xxyzx road, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

xenilk posted:

care to share pictures of the house? looks really neat!

I will when it's posted. My friend runs a site, http://pghbox.com which is about locals revitalizing / renovating houses here in Pittsburgh. She has the photos, just needs to write the post, etc.