Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I was just browsing through the 4.2 Jellybean 'what's new' page, and this point caught my eye:

I can't seem to find this option anywhere in Play Music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
This is my first time using Swiftkey Flow and I'm not impressed with it, but I really like the swiping visual effect they came up with so I guess I'll keep at it. :downs:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

spincube posted:

I was just browsing through the 4.2 Jellybean 'what's new' page, and this point caught my eye:

I can't seem to find this option anywhere in Play Music.

I wish it would let me select a song from my cloud storage for alarms. I'm always at home and connected to wifi when my alarm goes off, so why not be able to use a streaming song? Sometimes I'm tired of waking up to the poo poo I keep locally :)

DownLikeDisco
Jun 9, 2002

BOP BOP

ColdCock posted:

I've noticed that when my wife sends me those iPhone emoji, that they are now showing up on my Note2 but with a cooler, monochromatic representation. Whats the best way for me to be able to send these if I'm using the stock messenger and Swiftkey? I can't seem to find them.

We provide a smiley keyboard (long press the IME Go key in the bottom right of the alphabet keyboard layout) but it might just be a matter of finding out what the "placeholder text" is for extended emoji, like those used in KakaoTalk and WhatsApp. Some Messages apps also have an "Insert Emoticon" option on the menu key. We haven't added better support for extended emoji and other rich text objects into the vanilla SwiftKey 4 Play/Amazon store apps due to difficulties with processing many types of spans through an InputConnection, but we've talked to the Android devs about a general purpose solution.

DownLikeDisco
Jun 9, 2002

BOP BOP

Require More Fire posted:

This is my first time using Swiftkey Flow and I'm not impressed with it, but I really like the swiping visual effect they came up with so I guess I'll keep at it. :downs:

We're still experimenting with how we can provide a choice of candidates for Flow. If you don't like what was inserted then just tap on the added word - the cursor will snap to the end of the word and you can choose a different prediction. This set of predictions will still incorporate the touch history prior from your Flowed word while calculating the posterior distribution.

We are looking at themes and more cool visual effects for Flow as well.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

DownLikeDisco posted:

We're still experimenting with how we can provide a choice of candidates for Flow. If you don't like what was inserted then just tap on the added word - the cursor will snap to the end of the word and you can choose a different prediction. This set of predictions will still incorporate the touch history prior from your Flowed word while calculating the posterior distribution.

We are looking at themes and more cool visual effects for Flow as well.

Why not have the word follow your finger (like with the AOSP swyping function) and stack a list of possible words vertically that you can drag up to select?

DownLikeDisco
Jun 9, 2002

BOP BOP

AppleCobbler posted:

Why not have the word follow your finger (like with the AOSP swyping function) and stack a list of possible words vertically that you can drag up to select?

We've looked at various ways of doing it and I think our user experience testing showed that people generally preferred the most likely prediction being in a consistent place. That said, we're always looking at the way candidate predictions are presented - particularly for supporting complex languages where we need to use stochastic tokenisers, or providing contextual retrospective correction.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

DownLikeDisco posted:

we're always looking at the way candidate predictions are presented - particularly for supporting complex languages where we need to use stochastic tokenisers, or providing contextual retrospective correction.

Now you're just making up words :mad:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I noticed Google Maps updated the other day. I have location services still shut off. The notes only said big fixes. But did that horrible battery drain problem get fixed?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Avocados posted:

I noticed Google Maps updated the other day. I have location services still shut off. The notes only said big fixes. But did that horrible battery drain problem get fixed?

I'd say so.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

What are you doing to get your battery like that? Mine lasts a good day easy, but I wouldn't mind having more.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

ThermoPhysical posted:

What are you doing to get your battery like that? Mine lasts a good day easy, but I wouldn't mind having more.

Not using it at all

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The latest Google map issue was a 4.2.1 issue, not an issue with the app.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

That's idle time which got better with 4.2.2 but after that last Maps update it got even better. Before that Maps was meeting my idle time.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
1. New SwiftKey has stopped learning smiley faces - how am I meant to make bitches love me? :argh:

2. That snapdragon batteryguru app finally stopped "learning mode" today and, unsure if this is a coincidence, my wakelock issue has disappeared.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WastedJoker posted:

how am I meant to make bitches love me?
Stop referring to them as bitches, for one.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

LastInLine posted:

Stop referring to them as bitches, for one.

It was a riff on the old "Bitches love smiley faces" image that's been on the internet forever, fella.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WastedJoker posted:

It was a riff on the old "Bitches love smiley faces" image that's been on the internet forever, fella.
I was joking as well. Don't know anything about SwiftKey so it's the only help I could offer.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

LastInLine posted:

I was joking as well. Don't know anything about SwiftKey so it's the only help I could offer.

Well this exchange has been fruitful all-round! :P

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Doctor Butts posted:

Speaking of google maps,

On my old Droid Incredible, I could have a different volume for google maps and a different volume for my music. I can't seem to change it now.

However, even though Google Maps is nice enough to lower the volume of music while its giving me directions, I can still barely hear them. Is there any way to change that?

Nope, they changed it with no option for the old behavior. Unfortunately they don't try to match the loudness of whatever else is playing.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/02/21/glovebox-for-android-a-beautiful-app-switcher-taking-design-love-from-ubuntu/

This is a pretty cool persistent app switcher that looks and behaves just like the implementation in ubuntu. It's fairly polished, if not particularly customizable yet, but it just hit the market. I'm using it, waiting for him to integrate an app drawer button, then it'll be perfect for me.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

AppleCobbler posted:

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/02/21/glovebox-for-android-a-beautiful-app-switcher-taking-design-love-from-ubuntu/

This is a pretty cool persistent app switcher that looks and behaves just like the implementation in ubuntu. It's fairly polished, if not particularly customizable yet, but it just hit the market. I'm using it, waiting for him to integrate an app drawer button, then it'll be perfect for me.

That's pretty sweet, and looks nice. Once he fixes that giant glaring bug the article talked about, I'll probably check it out.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

That's pretty sweet, and looks nice. Once he fixes that giant glaring bug the article talked about, I'll probably check it out.

I haven't run into that at all yet and I've had it running since last night on my Note2 :shrug:.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

AppleCobbler posted:

I haven't run into that at all yet and I've had it running since last night on my Note2 :shrug:.

Well several people in the reviews on the app store have so I'm not gonna risk having to battery pull my phone every 30 minutes for a small convenience app.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Along similar lines is Wave Launcher, which is how WebOS used to do the same thing. Wave Launcher also lets you delegate a certain amount of the icons to most recent apps and will run widgets and all that; worth a look.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I loving love how customizable Android is. Checking out those launchers/switchers now :catdrugs:

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Is there a direct app link for starting a hangout with someone on android? Sort of like you can configure a speed-dial shortcut to call someone with a single click, I want to do that but have it start a hangout.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

Require More Fire posted:

The more you use it, the more impressive it gets. The other day, I typed "We're going to" and it predicted "Waffle House."

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

MrC posted:

The more you use it, the more impressive it gets. The other day, I typed "We're going to" and it predicted "Waffle House."

How often do you go to Waffle House? :banjo:

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

az jan jananam posted:

How often do you go to Waffle House? :banjo:

Scattered, smothered, peppered. :toot:

Skam
Jan 6, 2008
Is there a way to tell my phone to stop receiving calls if im running a certain app? (normally a fitness app like runkeeper)

i keep getting calls mid run and it turns my music off

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Damnit Google, I promise to never bitch about anything in your software ever again* if you just start letting me archive Gmail messages from the expanded notification.

*for a few days at least

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
It's not a great solution, but now I'm just swiping the notification away and archiving whenever I'm in the inbox proper.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Hey guys, i'm planning on using a verizon 4g data only sim card in a phone and using something like groove ip for voice. Are there any problems with doing this when there's only 1 bar of service?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
You'll get some pretty wicked echo with questionable service.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
You'll also get a lot of people on the other end telling you that you're cutting in and out, even with full signal. Something about crappy latency that groove ip can't handle well.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Are there better VOIP solutions to grooveip that doesn't have this problem?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mister Fister posted:

Are there better VOIP solutions to grooveip that doesn't have this problem?

There are no solutions for a low strength intermittent signal. Constant cutouts and delays in the audio are inevitable.

Skam
Jan 6, 2008
What does one weather want me to do? Clicking the notification just launches the app and I can't get it to swipe away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is there something in the app's settings about updating? What happens if you tap the notification while the app is open underneath? And have you checked the Play Store for updates? I might require a manual one for some reason

• Locked thread