Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

het posted:

The legally binding part is "if the project reaches its goal, you will pay what you pledged on the day that the kickstarter ends". There's a sort of social contract that obligates the people running the Kickstarter to fulfill their goals, but I'm pretty sure it's not legally binding (or it's one of those "it's not legally binding until it's proven to be so through lengthy court battles" sorts of things).

There is some precedent that they have to provide other rewards (like let's say you put in $50 for a project that was for a game, and at the $50 reward level they offered a t shirt along with a copy of the game. even if the game never actually gets made, they're supposed to at least send you the t shirt otherwise you can take them through small claims court).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

stratdax posted:

Not Antarctica, but hopefully that's next. I'm not 100% sure where exactly I am at the moment, but it's somewhere around here:
https://maps.google.com/?ll=-25.415989,123.890076&spn=1.577722,2.175293&t=h&z=9

Thankfully, I'm in a spot where mobile internet works!

I'm really curious about what you do out there! Are you doing archaeology work?

I have a really stupid Facebook question. For some reason, when someone tags me in something (a picture, a comment, etc) it doesn't show up on my timeline. It used to show up on my timeline automatically so I don't know what's up.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

razz posted:

I'm really curious about what you do out there! Are you doing archaeology work?

I have a really stupid Facebook question. For some reason, when someone tags me in something (a picture, a comment, etc) it doesn't show up on my timeline. It used to show up on my timeline automatically so I don't know what's up.

Try going to Settings > Account Settings > Timeline and Tagging, and see if the second question, "Review posts friends tag you in before they appear on your timeline?" is marked as "on." If so, you will have an item in your notifications to go to Timeline Review and approve things, or you can go to it this way.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

stratdax posted:

Not Antarctica, but hopefully that's next. I'm not 100% sure where exactly I am at the moment, but it's somewhere around here:
https://maps.google.com/?ll=-25.415989,123.890076&spn=1.577722,2.175293&t=h&z=9

Thankfully, I'm in a spot where mobile internet works!

What are you doing there??

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Amelia Song posted:

Try going to Settings > Account Settings > Timeline and Tagging, and see if the second question, "Review posts friends tag you in before they appear on your timeline?" is marked as "on." If so, you will have an item in your notifications to go to Timeline Review and approve things, or you can go to it this way.

I do have it set to "on" so I can review things before they appear on my timeline. Problem is, sometimes they don't show up on there! Last night a friend posted 3 photos and mentioned me in them, I got a notification for them ("Your friend x mentioned you in a photo" or whatever it says), but they never showed up on my timeline nor did I get the option to "add to timeline". If someone tags me in a picture, it will give me the option to review and accept it to be posted on my timeline. It's really just if someone mentions me in a comment that it doesn't show up, and it bugs me because it used to :(

Like if a friend made a status "Had a great time last night with razz, Bob and Sally!" or whatever, I could go to Bob's timeline and see the comment but it never shows up on mine and does not show up in my "timeline review" thing. But I will get a notification about it.

I don't know why I care so much :(

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Regarding kickstarter, there isn't really much of an expectation that the deadline will be met. So if you're ordering something that says "November" and expecting to give it as a Christmas present you may be disappointed.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Totally TWISTED posted:

Stuck on my phone for the night, this is as close as I can get without pulling my hair out. HTH

http://www.ibge.gov.br/english/estatistica/economia/agropecuaria/censoagro/2006/defaulttab_censoagro.shtm

Thanks, unfortunately I wasn't able to find it there. Not speaking Portuguese is a pretty big hindrance when you're trying to find really specific Brazilian economic stats. I'll just have to work around the deficiency of this one stat in my article.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
Can someone find me the fake quote from the National Weather Service about the monster storm headed our way? Its in all caps and reads like a real advisory but in the style of HP Lovecraft, ie "THIS STORM SHALL LIE PRONE ATOP THE FRAGILE CITIES OF MAN". Cant find it on google. Thanks in advance.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It would help if people knew where the hell you are. Quick googling guesses you mean "Winter Storm Rocky" and are in the Midwest?

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

Xiahou Dun posted:

It would help if people knew where the hell you are. Quick googling guesses you mean "Winter Storm Rocky" and are in the Midwest?

My bad, I didnt mean it was exclusive to a weather thing I went through. It was written to lampoon some real, dramatic advisory from the NWS about an approaching storm. I saw it a while ago so it was prob about katrina or another big Gulf hurricaine that would have its own thread. Cant remember if it was from SA but it most likely was.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

het posted:

The legally binding part is "if the project reaches its goal, you will pay what you pledged on the day that the kickstarter ends". There's a sort of social contract that obligates the people running the Kickstarter to fulfill their goals, but I'm pretty sure it's not legally binding (or it's one of those "it's not legally binding until it's proven to be so through lengthy court battles" sorts of things).

The part where the people running the kickstarter have to fulfill the promise (or give you a refund) is a legally binding contract, too. The issue isn't "is it legally binding or not?" It's, "if they fold, how am I actually going to get it?"

Small businesses fail all the time, and they inevitably have a bunch of creditors who want money. If you gave money to their kickstarter and expected a reward, congratulations, you're one of those creditors. Unfortunately, they've already spent your (and everybody else's) money trying and failing to execute their business plan. What assets they do have are probably things like office equipment, which aren't going to recoup their purchase cost when they're liquidated. And, when everything is liquidated and there's money to claim, there are almost certainly preferred and secured creditors in line in front of you. If by some miracle there's something left over, you might get a small fraction of what you originally tossed into the kickstarter kitty back as a refund.

The bottom line is that, even if you have a perfectly good contract, it doesn't always mean you're going to be able to collect on it.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Rubies posted:

My bad, I didnt mean it was exclusive to a weather thing I went through. It was written to lampoon some real, dramatic advisory from the NWS about an approaching storm. I saw it a while ago so it was prob about katrina or another big Gulf hurricaine that would have its own thread. Cant remember if it was from SA but it most likely was.

It'll be posted in this thread somewhere, I'm sure. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486253

It gets reposted every year. I want to say it was about Hurricane Rita, or another storm that happened after Katrina. If you ask in the Weatherpocaylpse GBS thread someone there probably has it saved, or at least will remember enough detail to find it.

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

Cakefool posted:

Kickstarter question: if I pledge & the reward is to receive a product by a certain date and then the kickstarter is fully funded, will I actually receive a product? Is it legally binding or just a sort of promise? When will they take my money?

Don't let everybody scare you - reading through the previous posts makes it sound as if Kickstarter is a wretched hive of scum and villainy... For the most part the creators are fully capable of producing the products in question. A lot of newbies to KS do make mistakes, however, when it comes to deadlines. You usually *do* get your reward, but it can be late sometimes.

There are some crazy people, though, who use Kickstarter as a great way to scam others. The best way to be safe is to use common sense and really think about how likely the person is to succeed.

Spoiler - I'm about to plug my own current project...
If you look at this project I launched ( The Scorn™ Zombie Hoodie ) you will notice down through the listing that I am careful to demonstrate that I have the skill, the ability, and the experience to pull it off. I have been in the biz for years and years, and the only reason I need Kickstarter is to get bigger equipment to make this project a success.

If you look at a project made by an utter buffoon ( Your World ) you can go all the way through the listing and not see any information to make you think this jackass had any chance in hell of having a successful project. If, somehow, he had managed to raise enough funding there is not a snowballs chance in hell he could've gotten it done because his entire project was magical wishes and unicorn farts. You'd be poo poo-out-of-luck.

As for your original question - you only pay out when the project is successfully funded. If it doesn't hit its goal, your bank account is safe.

KittyLitter fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 23, 2013

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

Randomity posted:

It'll be posted in this thread somewhere, I'm sure. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486253

It gets reposted every year. I want to say it was about Hurricane Rita, or another storm that happened after Katrina. If you ask in the Weatherpocaylpse GBS thread someone there probably has it saved, or at least will remember enough detail to find it.

Copy that, thanks amigo

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Thanks for the answers, the project is massively over funded (1.4million vs 30k target) with weeks to go and looks technically achievable but I've never put money on kickstarter before.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Is there a copyright / "copyfighting" current events thread somewhere? I think the cat-and-mouse with government and business versus Pirate Bay et al is pretty interesting. But Boingboing is a main source for this news and they're insufferable about the topic. I'm assuming there's not such a thread here since it might lead to :filez: discussions that are specific enough to be verboten. But I thought I should ask anyway.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
I bought this can of Spam today at a discount food store in the US because it puzzled me:

It says "90% PORK! Pork - Not for Muslims!" First of all, that is a terrible slogan. This can has a lot of Arabic script and is obviously marketed for non-English speakers. This made me wonder: What percent of non-English-speaking Arabic speakers eat pork? Of those, what percentage would eat spam (or non-fresh) pork?

Similarly, what percent of self-identified Muslims eat pork? I'm just wonder if saying "Not for Muslims!" overtly is presumptive at all.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

There's this music video I saw on youtube & I can't remember the name of the artist or song. I think it's Brazilian. It starts with this guy doing this kinda mock Carl Sagan Cosmos intro on a hillside, then he sits down in this broken bike frame in the grass and sticks a cassette tape in a weird rusty machine. The rest of the video is a lot of sexy, disjointed, dreamy scenes. It has like a steel drum main riff. Anybody have any clue what I'm talking about?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Noni posted:

I bought this can of Spam today at a discount food store in the US because it puzzled me:

It says "90% PORK! Pork - Not for Muslims!" First of all, that is a terrible slogan. This can has a lot of Arabic script and is obviously marketed for non-English speakers. This made me wonder: What percent of non-English-speaking Arabic speakers eat pork? Of those, what percentage would eat spam (or non-fresh) pork?

Similarly, what percent of self-identified Muslims eat pork? I'm just wonder if saying "Not for Muslims!" overtly is presumptive at all.

There are many non-Muslim Arabs, particularly Christians, in the US, though most of them do speak English. Maybe it was meant to be sold in a country like Egypt or Iraq where Christians make up a significant portion of the population?

I don't know any Muslims who eat pork, and I am Muslim for what it matters. Even the people I know who grew up Muslim but don't practice the religion anymore don't eat pork, though they might not be as careful about avoiding pork byproducts. It's not like how some Jews keep kosher and some don't - Muslims just don't eat pork as a rule, even if they don't otherwise follow a strictly halal diet.

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

Cakefool posted:

Thanks for the answers, the project is massively over funded (1.4million vs 30k target) with weeks to go and looks technically achievable but I've never put money on kickstarter before.

I'm assuming it's the 3Doodler... This is a sticky widget, in my mind. This product has achieved success beyond the wildest dreams of the creators, which makes me wonder how much the dreamed about the logistics of such a massively inflated project? Were they only expecting to barely get funded when they told their manufacturers how many would be ordered? Were they only planning on 30k dollars worth of orders to ship out?

There's a TON of questions that come with this level of unexpected success.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
This is kind of a big question but how does the stock market work? Let's say I owned a company, and there were zero outside factors, what would have to happen for our stock prices to rise or fall? Also, on stations like MSNBC, there's a ticker of stock prices constantly changing, how does it get these numbers? Is there a big computer that spits out numbers to everyone or something?

I don't want to derail, please someone who knows what they are talking about be succinct.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

OK, two things to test.

1) arrange the icons how you want, reboot and then start in safe mode (F8 at startup, before the windows logo appears). If the icons are left the way you arranged them, run MSCONFIG, got to startup, disable all, reboot to normal mode. See if your icons re-arrange. If not, something in your startup list is causing the problem. Run malware scans in safe mode and try again.

2) If that doesn't work, as a test, try creating a new profile. copy your desktop icons from the old one, arrange how you like and reboot. Log back into the new profile. Problem solved? original profile is corrupted and needs to be repaired.

Thanks for the tips. My icons still reset on safe mode, even after the malware scans, but didn't reset when I made a second profile. I guess my next stupid question is how do I repair this profile?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

KittyLitter posted:

I'm assuming it's the 3Doodler... This is a sticky widget, in my mind. This product has achieved success beyond the wildest dreams of the creators, which makes me wonder how much the dreamed about the logistics of such a massively inflated project? Were they only expecting to barely get funded when they told their manufacturers how many would be ordered? Were they only planning on 30k dollars worth of orders to ship out?

There's a TON of questions that come with this level of unexpected success.

That's the one.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Is there a clinical test for partial skin numbness, or does diagnosing that rely purely on the patient saying "I think that area feels a little numb"?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Golbez posted:

Is there a clinical test for partial skin numbness, or does diagnosing that rely purely on the patient saying "I think that area feels a little numb"?

They can be as simple as light pinpricks or using a Neural Wheel to test larger areas at once. The response is mostly subjective though, as (with much of topical medicine) you are relying on the patient's subjective scale of "I can feel this" versus "I can't feel that so well"

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Golbez posted:

I had some post surgical nerve damage, beyond poking at it they also used vials of hot and cold water against the skin. They did not wire me up to any EEG or anything like that; basically it was just "Can you feel this?" "Nope." "OK, well you might regain some feeling in time." I don't know, maybe they would have cared/done more if it was something important like my face rather than just the side of my knee, but I imagine the clinical tests would probably have been the same.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Poldarn posted:

Thanks for the tips. My icons still reset on safe mode, even after the malware scans, but didn't reset when I made a second profile. I guess my next stupid question is how do I repair this profile?

Try here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Not something I've done before, so I can't really advise past this point. HTH.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ThatPazuzu posted:

This is kind of a big question but how does the stock market work? Let's say I owned a company, and there were zero outside factors, what would have to happen for our stock prices to rise or fall? Also, on stations like MSNBC, there's a ticker of stock prices constantly changing, how does it get these numbers? Is there a big computer that spits out numbers to everyone or something?

I don't want to derail, please someone who knows what they are talking about be succinct.

This is not a straightforward topic. Read through this and see what questions you have after that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_market

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Golbez posted:

My physical therapist uses the vibration of a tuning fork to test the sensation in my legs and feet. The problem with this we learned is that there is a difference between sense of touch and feeling vibration running through bones and stuff.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

clammy posted:

There's this music video I saw on youtube & I can't remember the name of the artist or song. I think it's Brazilian. It starts with this guy doing this kinda mock Carl Sagan Cosmos intro on a hillside, then he sits down in this broken bike frame in the grass and sticks a cassette tape in a weird rusty machine. The rest of the video is a lot of sexy, disjointed, dreamy scenes. It has like a steel drum main riff. Anybody have any clue what I'm talking about?

This sounds awesome and I wanna know too!

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

clammy posted:

El Guincho - Bombay
http://vimeo.com/15247292

Warning, :nws:

Also, does someone know the song that plays on corgiorgy.com? (Site is SFW, no worries)

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
What are the side effects of weightlessness on human digestion? What about being inverted for long periods of time?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Meat Recital posted:

What are the side effects of weightlessness on human digestion? What about being inverted for long periods of time?

The movements caused by the muscles that line the digestive system are more than sufficient to cope with any gravitational shenanigans we pull.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ThatPazuzu posted:

This reddit comment breaks it down very simply.
http://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/jauzj/explainlikeimfive_stocks_and_the_stock_market/

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
e: ^^^^ :argh:

ThatPazuzu posted:

Dude, no, this is not a question that can be succinct. I recommend spending a little time with investopedia and maybe also simple English wikipedia (I'm not making fun of you- the terms are very disorienting and confusing and it helps to use resources like the latter.).

Here's my attempt, but then please try reading those a bit and come back to BFC if you have more questions :)

A stock market is where people go to invest (become part-owners) in businesses that they think will make money, and which thereby would give them more money back than they put in in the first place. Each piece of a company is called a "share." Whenever anyone buys a share, the price of every share in the company goes up because there's more money invested now. Whenever anyone sells a share, the price goes down. I believe there are limited numbers of shares but they tend to get split and changed in practice a lot.

People, or rather computer algorithms at this point, decide to buy shares of each company if they think the company is going to make more money. They decide to sell if either a) they think the share price is high enough that it won't go higher, so they should take their profit and run, or b) they think the company is going to do less well in the future, so they should take their profit and run, or c) they need the money.

If you owned a company, you would work with an investing company to determine your starting share price based on how much your business is 'worth' to investors- e.g. Apple has incredibly high share prices because they've consistently done well and everyone wants a piece of them. You'd pick a price, let's say $1/share, and it'd come on the market. This is called "going public" because it allows members of the public to invest in your company, or the technical term is "Initial Public Offering" (IPO). When your stock opens, people and their brokers (companies who manage others' money and shares) would decide to buy it if they think your company is solid and the price is a good buy. If a lot of people think your company is a good buy at $1, the price will go up, because more people will have put money into your company. If only a few people think it's a good buy, it'll still go up, but not as much. If everyone who owned a share before it went public goes,* "Oh god I've made a huge mistake" it'll go down. For an example of an overvalued stalk, there's Facebook, which was initially valued very highly at $38/share, and initially it went up, but within a week it was down to $29 and continued to be volatile for a long time.

If there were 0 outside factors, your stock price would depend 100% on the feelings of the investors who owned shares. If there are zillions of outside factors, it still depends basically entirely on those feelings, which are largely expressed through various algorithms. The major reasons things go up or down are good news from a company, bad news from the company, bad economic news, good economic news, and down on the list until we get to things like "weather." Not kidding. E.g. Walmart's stock went down a bit recently because an internal memo got leaked which said "Our sales in January were absolutely horrible." Things like low consumer confidence or shaky governmental behavior can also do bad things to the stock market in general. Things like a company merger might raise or lower the stock prices of the companies involved, AND their competitors, depending on what investors think of the deal.

The numbers on the ticker come from bignormous computer systems that track all this and do the trading, yes. You didn't ask, but things like the NASDAQ or or S&P500 or Dow Jones are what are called "indexes." That means they cover some collection of stocks thought to be good indicators of the market in general- so if the Dow is down, it suggests that the market in general is doing a lot of selling and not a lot of buying. News outlets tend to equate the index performances with the economy as a whole, which is a fallacy, but anyway. There you go.

* e.g. owners, employees, private investors

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

KittyLitter posted:

This is a sticky widget, in my mind.

Sticky wicket. It's a cricket term.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Is there a thread anywhere about teaching English in China or Hong Kong?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I had oral surgery about a week and a half ago, and have been on a soft diet since. I've got at least until Friday, and I'm getting tired of soup and oatmeal as my main courses. What are some other suggestions that don't require much chewing?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

hooah posted:

I had oral surgery about a week and a half ago, and have been on a soft diet since. I've got at least until Friday, and I'm getting tired of soup and oatmeal as my main courses. What are some other suggestions that don't require much chewing?

When I was recovering from oral surgery a while ago, I ate (drank) a lot of Carnation Instant Breakfast. I was pretty young and pretty doped up, so my mom made them for me and I therefore don't remember too many specifics, but I have a vague recollection that they tasted better when made with ice cream than with milk. I also remember that the "put tortellini in a blender" idea did not pan out nearly as well as I had hoped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

madlilnerd posted:

Is there a thread anywhere about teaching English in China or Hong Kong?

The OP of the china thread in Tourism & Travel says that for teaching English, "the money in Korea, Japan, or Taiwan is much better" (all of which have their own threads), but you can probably post about teaching English in China there. There is also a general Teaching English as a foreign language thread in Science, Academics and Languages.