Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

notsowelp posted:

I just posted this in the food thread, but thought I'd offer it up for more ~general debate~ - I don't know how much of this has made it to America, but right now there is a ~scandal~ in the UK/Europe about 'beef' products intended for humans containing horse meat. Things like ready-meal lasagnes, bologneses, burgers and things like that - and some products have actually been found to be 100% horse meat. What I've taken away from all of this is i) apparently horse is delicious! and ii) you can't trust ingredient lists for poo poo. If this is what the situation is like with human-intended products, I imagine it's much 'worse' in dog and cat foods - basically I'm going to be reeeally skeptical of named meats in ingredient lists from now on and assume that everything in my dogs' food is donkey ._. . I don't know how others feel about this - would it bother you if you found there was e.g. horse in your dogs kibble?

I just fed my dogs loving kangaroo so I'm pretty sure I'd be fine with horse.

E: They're getting antelope soon too.

E2: And what super said, if you're gonna label food you need to label it properly. I don't give a gently caress if someone wants to eat a horse, as much as I :swoon: love horses, but say it's horse on the label.

E3: Oh, and that scandal stuff was everywhere for about a week then it vanished.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I would be fine if it flat out said it was horse but when it is advertised as other meat I want it to be that meat. Plus horses are generally not expected to be eaten so they get all manner of questionable medications that I would prefer not to be eating or feeding to my dog and here in the US there are no slaughter houses set up for horses so there's no way they were butchered in any way even vaguely resembling something humane. If I went out and shot a free range horse I would totally eat it and feed it to my dog though.

More shepherd fun, I hope you guys don't mind me complaining because all the sheep forums are super lame and uptight. The lady with the prolapsed ewe sent me an urgent message that another of her ewes had been in labor for 4 days and what should she do. At first I was like holy poo poo that ewe needed to be at the vet 3 days ago. But as I talked to her she explained that the ewe wasn't dilated, wasn't having contractions, hadn't lost her mucous plug, and didn't even have a fully developed udder. The sheep wasn't in labor she was just morbidly obese, carrying a huge lamb and was hot because she hasn't been sheared yet so she spent all day loafing around grunting and complaining. Laying around groaning is a totally normal thing for a giant pregnant anything to do.

That ewe lambed tonight and like the other one had a giant baby that needed help being delivered because all of the sheep on that farm are too drat fat and have no muscle tone. At least this one didn't prolapse!

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.
Hey PI, I just wanted to say hi from the hospital. :( My bf and I got into a pretty serious car accident and I ended up with 2 cracked ribs and a punctured lung. :( BF got off a lot worse though - he got a broken pelvis, hip, and a fractured sternum and needed 10 stitches in his head, among many more minor injuries. We'll both be fine, but it was scary as hell. His Aussie Tucker was with us in the car and was thankfully not hurt, but he was so scared. :( He got taken to an emergency vet just in case and I'm going to buy him the biggest, most awesome rope toy as soon as I get out of the drat hospital. :P

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Azrael Alexander posted:

Hey PI, I just wanted to say hi from the hospital. :( My bf and I got into a pretty serious car accident and I ended up with 2 cracked ribs and a punctured lung. :( BF got off a lot worse though - he got a broken pelvis, hip, and a fractured sternum and needed 10 stitches in his head, among many more minor injuries. We'll both be fine, but it was scary as hell. His Aussie Tucker was with us in the car and was thankfully not hurt, but he was so scared. :( He got taken to an emergency vet just in case and I'm going to buy him the biggest, most awesome rope toy as soon as I get out of the drat hospital. :P

That's horrible for all of you but thank god everyone made it out alive. Hope everyone makes a safe and speedy recovery!

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

wtftastic posted:

That's horrible for all of you but thank god everyone made it out alive. Hope everyone makes a safe and speedy recovery!
Thank you <3 Ugh it was so traumatic, it probably goes without saying but being covered in your boyfriends blood on the floor of your car is the scariest poo poo ever. Some rear end in a top hat ran a red light going 50mph and broadsided us. Bf screwed his arm up preventing Tucker from flying through the windshield. Ugh. :( I miss Fionna so bad. I won't be able to see her for another three days. :( Poor puppy pup. :(

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
I would be bothered because here horses aren't livestock bred and there's serious concerns about the health risks of
eating horse meat.

Ethically the animal can chow down on whatever. I'd really like to see some ethical small-farms places raise horses for livestock if the slaughter ban gets lifted (or did it? I haven't been tracking).

Also yes label it.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
I have a food allergy (not horse but it's a common filler ingredient) so I'm a big stickler for accurate labeling. I've willingly eaten horse and plenty of other "weird" meats so I don't care about that at all.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Azrael Alexander posted:

Scary, glad you both and the pup are okay though.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I've always wanted to try horse. I own one and I know him inside and out-- might as well see what he'd taste like too.

For some reason people are horrified by this. I'm not insinuating I'd eat my own horse but I would not turn down a horse steak.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Azrael Alexander posted:

Oh no! I hope you and he feel so much better soon, but with a hip and pelvis fracture he is going to be out of action for a while as he heals. I bet the puppies will stick to your side like glue when you get home. Somehow they just know when you aren't feeling right. However prepare to be thoroughly snuffed when you come in the door: hospital smell is new and must be investigated.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I've always wanted to try horse. I own one and I know him inside and out-- might as well see what he'd taste like too.

For some reason people are horrified by this. I'm not insinuating I'd eat my own horse but I would not turn down a horse steak.

I have always loved horses, have owned horses, and am totally :swoon: about horses. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat one, but if it were put in front of me I'd go for it. I'm pretty curious about horse.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Superconsndar posted:

I have always loved horses, have owned horses, and am totally :swoon: about horses. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat one, but if it were put in front of me I'd go for it. I'm pretty curious about horse.

Exactly. When I was on a study abroad trip to Verona, one of the professors let us know that they might have horse steak on the menu. Everyone turned to me expecting me to burst into tears or something, and I was like "oh sweet I've always wanted to see what horses taste like" then some people were like "How could you say that? Don't you have a horse at home? YOU WANT TO EAT YOUR HORSE?!"

It's already dead, might as well eat it. Not eating it won't make it magically spring back to life.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Az, holy gently caress. Get well soon dude. Car accidents suck.

I don't think I'd eat a horse but in Japan there were a few places with horse sashimi. I got seven or eight different people to try it while I was there and they all hated it. :smith:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Afaik when the scandal broke there was actually few people who were all :qq: about 'but horsiesssss!' Most people I know and spoke to were just worried because: a) if the meat being used isn't even the meat listed on the ingredients, what other ingredients are wrong and what other regulations have been completely flaunted ignored? & b) horses in particular are pumped with chemicals that really aren't great for humans to consume.

HORSEGATE.

The best part of it was the video someone made about people going to Tesco dressed up as a horse and crying out looking for their mummy.

E: I would totally eat horse. I would not want to eat horse that is labelled as something else and totally unregulated. I have probably eaten horse. If I found out my dogs were eating poo poo that wasn't even in the ingredients list I would be furious.

Fraction fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 23, 2013

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Oh crap, hope you mend soon and glad your dog's ok.

I've never willingly eaten horse meat but I'm not massively adverse to the idea. What bothers me is the mislabelling of beef products has been so widespread, I'd at least like the idea of knowing what I'm consuming.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Ready for take off! :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Oh man, Az! Glad to hear y'all are going to be okay. :ohdear:

On the topic of horse, apparently it is really really sweet tasting, and unless it is well marbled with fat, it doesn't taste very good. This is coming from a friend's English riding instructor here in Texas who is from somewhere else in Europe. But the mislabeling thing is total bullshit.

I'm also not really a big opponent of cultures eating dogs when people eat pigs and cavvies. vOv I just wish all meat animals were treated well before eaten, and generally dog farms don't have much better conditions than mills.

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
Just back from a 6 month senior wellness check with Nova, and she needs pretty much the rest of her 5 teeth removed. Well vet said 2 teeth, but I am so scared of putting her under again that if we ARE going to do it, I'm going to ask we remove everything but her remaining fang. She uses that fang a lot in grooming and beating up her brother and it seems to be doing well. Nova has an elevated liver value that seems to be stable, but was very worrisome when we first put her under. They eventually just did it after deciding the value was stable because her teeth were so bad, but it's going to be super scary.

I saw one of the teeth. It looks really decayed and vet said the root is exposed. You guys think that's the right call? Remove the rest? Vet is really only advocating for the 2 that are in bad shape, but for a while I had been wishing we had just removed the rest when her first dental was done. In that case, they went in expecting to pull 4 teeth and instead they pulled 9 - so we didn't discuss the option of pulling all of them. None of her remaining teeth even have a top/bottom pair so they're pretty much just going to rot at some point.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

The shelter that I got Dexter from will be in town today doing Petsmart adoptions. I want to do something nice for them, like a donation, but I have no money or things to give them. Do you think they'll accept homemade dog treats? I was planning on making some of them for Dex today anyway, so I was thinking I could make an extra batch and bring it to them. I just worry that they won't accept it because they really don't know if I am a psycho dog murderer who put antifreeze in it. But at the same time they're a shelter and probably would appreciate some treats for the pups. Anyone have experience in this? Should I go through with the plan or just leave it?

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
I think they'd like the treats, but I'd email or call first to see if they'd accept them.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
MY BOSTON TERRIER BIT ME.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Superconsndar posted:

Watch out next full moon, you'll get all wheezy and start farting really bad.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

He's been reading the internet.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

Welp he has a taste for human blood now. All you can do is put a bullet in him. Or just walk away at a brisk pace if he tries to come after you. Either or!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bash Ironfist posted:

Or just walk away at a brisk pace if he tries to come after you. Either or!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pn_PIxa6cw That doesn't work on all of them.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Superconsndar posted:

Be the Alpha! Bite him back!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Superconsndar posted:

Frankie knows what you say about him on PI.

The Prismatic Goth
May 31, 2001

El Gar posted:

You guys know that I post cat videos right? Why, here is one now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxLaDIN95Pc

Cat GIFs are where it's at

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Jess was feeling photogenic during tonight's Will Fetch For Food session.

Not pictured: dog breath.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

FlyingFish posted:

Cat GIFs are where it's at

gonna second this one

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Thirded:

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle
We got another video of the kittens today, kitten #2 is ours. Now we just need a name. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGlcB9i2iXY

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Yes, this invasion is going well. Next stop: Russia!

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Oh man, those are cute.

Looking for kitten name suggestions? I'd go with Dumptruck. Trust me, I'm good at naming cats ;)

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle

Golden-i posted:

Oh man, those are cute.

Looking for kitten name suggestions? I'd go with Dumptruck. Trust me, I'm good at naming cats ;)

I'm never coming close to as awesome a name/cat combo as Refurb. Someone suggested Pickles, and So far that, Q and Neutron are in the lead.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

ToastFaceKillah posted:

I'm never coming close to as awesome a name/cat combo as Refurb. Someone suggested Pickles, and So far that, Q and Neutron are in the lead.

Refurb is good, sure, but a few of my favorites:

-Dumptruck (not sure why, just a great name for a cat).

-Yukon King (Dee Eight's cat, I think. Not sure.) There's a story from a long time back of that cat performing systematic genocide on the mice on their farm, piling them up by the fence posts over the course of a summer.

-human being Charlie and Dazzler (my old cat roommates). I miss those guys, but they're happy with their owner now and I see them from time to time.

-Toaster Village (a name I gave to a friend's cat).

Though I do understand if some/all of those are not quite... appropriate.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Golden-i posted:

Refurb is good, sure, but a few of my favorites:

-Dumptruck (not sure why, just a great name for a cat).

On a similar theme, Shortbus.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I've always wanted to name an animal Noodle. I also think Hambone is a great name for a pet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I maintain that Hubris is the ultimate name for a new pet.

• Locked thread