Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

It's good that they're changing potions since that was one of the more annoying things in 2 for alchemy characters. I mean, yeah I can just permanently have swallow and rook up but trying to mix up your potions and do something a little fancier is just a massive rear end risk until you're in your second playthrough. Same thing for traps except even in a second playthrough I never really found a use for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I found traps to be useful when I knew I was about to defend an area, but none of these quests have obvious defense objectives until it's too late to drop 30 snares. Meta-knowledge is way too important for potions and bombs in TW2, sure if you know you're gonna get ambushed by a lot of Nekkers in a cave or a queen endrega, spam traps. But then, they're most useful when you aren't very high level yet or used to the combat (ie. during a first playthrough on chapter 1 quests) and in this situation you won't know the Nekkers are going to show up in the first place.

Most of the time while we're running through woods and ravines it's Geralt who's getting ambushed by enemies which makes dropping traps relatively useless. Hopewfully TW3 with a new emphasis on monster hunting will change that.

orcane fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 21, 2013

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
New patch! Not a particularly large one, but a neat one nonetheless:

CDProjekt RED posted:

Patch 3.3 changes (21st February 2013)
Patch 3.3 adds modifications to Aard and Quen. The modifications are applied when a relevant shrine is found and used in game and they can be disabled in DLC settings in Options. It also adds auto-detection of the controller.
  • Activating a relevant shrine changes Quen into Solar Quen adding a 10% chance for an attacker to be incinerated when hitting Geralt.
  • Activating a relevant shrine changes Aard into Ice Aard adding a 20% chance of freezing opponents hit with the sign.
  • The controller (gamepad/keyboard+mouse) is detected automatically.

These are from the summer and winter Steam-only updates. Kinda cool!

The launcher should automatically update the game, but here's the link to download it anyway.

Hints are here and here.

Perhaps this weekend I'll work on a Witcher 3 thread. It'd be nice to have an area to collate all of the info that's been trickled down to us.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
is the timetable for release Witcher 3 and then Cyberpunk? Or is it the reverse?

I'm Is CDProjekt that big a dev house, or are they in the preproduction phase of cyberpunk and the production phase of W3 so they're able to overlap job responsibilities?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
It always seemed to me that Cyberpunk was coming out first.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Witcher 3 in 2014. Cyberpunk in 2015.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So how GPU intensive is this game anyway? I just started it and have gotten past the kayran but it's been a super painful experience so far because the game is constantly stuttering and load times are outrageous. I dropped my graphics settings down considerably but if anything it seems like it got worse rather than better. My display is 27" 2560x1440 but I've learned that w/ my video card I'm better off playing things at 1920x1080, just finished Farcry 3 without too many issues, things ran rather smoothly.

The system is an i7-870 with 8GB ram and a Sapphire HD5830 vid card. I know my video card is a few generations old but isn't this game a few years old as well? I'm thinking 30 second+ load times aren't normal?

here are my auto-detected settings:

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 22, 2013

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
It's one of the most GPU intensive games that I have. But load times are most likely affected more by your hard drive speed.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Smol posted:

It's one of the most GPU intensive games that I have. But load times are most likely affected more by your hard drive speed.

well, I didn't put the games on my SSD drive as I try not to fill it with more than a few games at a time but it's on an internal SATA drive that hasn't given me grief with other games. It's not just load times between cut scenes though, it's also painful watching textures load in and the cut scenes jump around as I miss a bunch of the exposition. actual gameplay is just very stuttery.

Why is this game so demanding? The other issue I've had with it was that for a while it just wouldn't load through Steam at all, I eventually had to launch Steam in offline mode to get it to start up, seems like Steam cloud backups have some issue with this game?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Try turning off Vertical sync is the first thing to do. SSAO is another thing that is very resource-intensive that I know of. Other than that, like Smol said it's a very taxing game for the GPU. And the 5830 wasn't that great even at its release three years ago.

Don't know about the long loading times, though. I also have it installed on a normal SATA hdd, a 'green' one to boot, and less RAM than you and I've never experienced that problem. I guess your last effort would be a re-install.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Definitely disable SSAO ^^

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yes, I find something like this guide very useful for understanding just what exactly the options mean.

The comparison of each thing starts on page four, for your reference, and goes more in depth from there. It's well worth a read.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
If you aren't going over your refresh rate (or max framerate of the game, whichever comes first), usually 60Hz, 80-90% of the time then V-Sync is a complete waste of your time and system's resources. Always disable that if you're not going over your refresh rate or want less mouse lag and don't mind some vertical tearing.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Did you clean out your saves folder (there's a tool on Nexus, or you can do it manually) yet? The game isn't rotating through autosaves, it adds new ones on top of your manual saves instead. Enough saves in the folder makes loading (even just getting into the load- or main menu) a major pain so I always move everything but the last ~20 saves out of the folder.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

They've said PC comes first and all that but it seems difficult to produce a game for multiple platforms at the same time while making one version radically different in regards to graphical quality (assuming Playstation 4 and next-gen xbox aren't going to total beasts).

I'm reeeeeally happy that the PS4 is apparently, basically, a PC architecture (normal CPU) with 8 gigs of RAM (more than... sixteen times what the last generation had, at minimum?). It should actually be very easy to develop simultaneously without compromising anything, which is nice.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

MMD3 posted:

So how GPU intensive is this game anyway? I just started it and have gotten past the kayran but it's been a super painful experience so far because the game is constantly stuttering and load times are outrageous. I dropped my graphics settings down considerably but if anything it seems like it got worse rather than better. My display is 27" 2560x1440 but I've learned that w/ my video card I'm better off playing things at 1920x1080, just finished Farcry 3 without too many issues, things ran rather smoothly.

The system is an i7-870 with 8GB ram and a Sapphire HD5830 vid card. I know my video card is a few generations old but isn't this game a few years old as well? I'm thinking 30 second+ load times aren't normal?

here are my auto-detected settings:

I have a way older PC than you (4GB RAM, ATI 4850, AMD Phenom X4 and a regular WD Black) and I think I haven't experienced a loading longer than 10 seconds so there's definitely something off. Mind you, the disparity in graphic settings might cause an increase in loading times so take it with a grain of salt.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
GI keeps releasing these videos at a steady clip, but this is one is especially awesome:

Capturing The Animations And Combat For The Witcher 3

It's kind of neat seeing some of Geralt's finishers being performed by what I can only assume is a badass Pole.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Sorry to bump this thread with a 2 year old tech support question but does the connection error in the Witcher 2's launcher matter now? I installed the game to replay it and I can't remember the trick to get that working anymore and it's been so long that searching around leads to like a dozen different fixes. Does it matter like it did at launch for DLC or did they remove that requirement?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I have had zero problems with the launcher so I assume the problem was fixed.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In honor of the wait time for W3 I've decided to go ahead and tackle Dark Mode!
Holy poo poo, holy poo poo. It's insane. There were parts in the prologue that kicked my rear end completely. Then when I got to the swamp I elected to start working on getting the special armor. Eventually I ended up in the Nekker caves (a part that gave me hell in my normal play through) and quickly discovered the glory of the magic sign that takes a hit for you.
Any tips for picking up hardened leather and stuff for the special armor?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Just buy a diagram and make it out of the tons of normal leather you pick up.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Leb posted:

GI keeps releasing these videos at a steady clip, but this is one is especially awesome:

Capturing The Animations And Combat For The Witcher 3

It's kind of neat seeing some of Geralt's finishers being performed by what I can only assume is a badass Pole.
I really like how they tried to make the normal soldiers use sane and normal combat techniques while Geralt does strange and awesome finishers. They're right, you don't immediately notice it but it does help set Geralt apart from his opponents.

Also, seeing the combos from Witcher1 being done by a person was pretty fancy too.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Acquire Currency! posted:

In honor of the wait time for W3 I've decided to go ahead and tackle Dark Mode!
Holy poo poo, holy poo poo. It's insane. There were parts in the prologue that kicked my rear end completely. Then when I got to the swamp I elected to start working on getting the special armor. Eventually I ended up in the Nekker caves (a part that gave me hell in my normal play through) and quickly discovered the glory of the magic sign that takes a hit for you.
Any tips for picking up hardened leather and stuff for the special armor?

Quen is stupidly powerful, even without the damage transfer. In the non-EE i think it took three hits, which is insane. My basic approach is cojstantly darting in and out of combat to reQuen so i can be comfortable getting a few combos in. Its not the most varied method but its effective, and i like the rhythm of it

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
So a friend of mine brought up something and I don't remember the game well enough.

He's also convinced that Triss has been using Geralt all along for some totally nefarious end. He thinks Triss has you get the Rose of Remembrance in order to give it to Philippa later.

Now, it doesn't really make any sense from what I recall: Triss doesn't know about the Lodge's plot since they froze her out because they knew she wouldn't go along with it. And she probably wouldn't go along with a plan to brainwash a dragon. Plus Triss only ends up in Aedirn because Letho forces her to teleport them there.

I don't have a save near the conversation when Philippa asks you to get the cure. Anyone recall that part?

As a note I actually like Triss's writing in the games a lot. She hasn't been totally honest with Geralt, mainly around the fact that she is not the sorceress he was in love with. They do a really good job of illustrating her being torn between wanting to help him get his memory back and knowing that it probably means the end of their affair (or whatever you want to call it). The scene with the rose was a good "oh poo poo, the symbol of love he just gave me is also the thing that will make him remember he doesn't love me"

I think the confusing scene for people unfamiliar with the books is the one in Witcher 1 where Geralt wakes up and she's talking to Philippa through the mirror. Which I always took as Philippa being a bad influence (it's pretty clear she's been attempting - unsuccessfully for the most part - to mold Triss into someone as manipulative as herself) and her telling Triss to not let Geralt know Triss is not Yennifer.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
No it doesnt make sense at all. Plus Triss genuinely likes/loves Geralt and is probably the least assholeish of all sorceresses. Sure shes not above manipulation but its not really something she'd do at the epense of her friends and the whole situation in the Witcher 1 was her just taking advantage of a situation where she could help Geralt kill Salamandra and increase the influence of the Lodge at the same time.

Theres also the fact that the elf prostitute overhears a conversation between Triss and Phillipa and its clear Triss has only a vague idea of whats going on with regards to Phillipa's plans.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Spite posted:

So a friend of mine brought up something and I don't remember the game well enough.

He's also convinced that Triss has been using Geralt all along for some totally nefarious end. He thinks Triss has you get the Rose of Remembrance in order to give it to Philippa later.

I don't have a save near the conversation when Philippa asks you to get the cure. Anyone recall that part?

One big logical problem with this theory is that they never really needed Geralt or even Triss to get it for them. Sile was there, she could've just grabbed a petal herself. I think storyline strongly implies that the mind control plot was something that Philippa came up with at that very moment in order to take advantage of the assassination attempt.

I figure that Philippa was originally going to have Iorveth hoof it back to Flotsam as quickly as possible to get one, but you gave her a shortcut by immediately surrendering the info about Triss's petal.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I never saw the Lodge as a bad idea in and of itself. It's just that Philippa is a terrible person really, and is really good at manipulating everyone. But having Triss keep Foltest in check is probably best for everyone involved and preventing more mass murders of magic users.

It's kind of odd that Triss would stay associated with them after the events of the books (and she really only joins because she's kind of naive and is again manipulated by Philippa from what I recall), but one that that's consistent about the Witcher world is that you have to be very practical or you end up very dead. And considering all her friends end up dead and no one likes sorceresses, it makes sense to ally herself with the only remaining sorceresses. Sure, she can't really trust them, but at least no one is going to outright attack a group of powerful angry magic users.

^^^^^^^^

And yes, Philippa says She only realized Saskia was a dragon when she was poisoned, and came up with the spell idea them. She could be lying, but at that point she also thinks Triss has sold her out and everything she tells Geralt seems to be the truth. Plus Philippa seems like a character that never lies outright, she prefers to tell half truths so she always has an out

Spite fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 25, 2013

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

orcane posted:

Did you clean out your saves folder (there's a tool on Nexus, or you can do it manually) yet? The game isn't rotating through autosaves, it adds new ones on top of your manual saves instead. Enough saves in the folder makes loading (even just getting into the load- or main menu) a major pain so I always move everything but the last ~20 saves out of the folder.

wow, didn't realize this, would love to try it out but having a hard time finding the tool on nexus. any idea what it's called?

are there any other mods on nexus that are no-brainers I should grab?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

MMD3 posted:

wow, didn't realize this, would love to try it out but having a hard time finding the tool on nexus. any idea what it's called?

are there any other mods on nexus that are no-brainers I should grab?

Check the second post in the thread for the answer to both of your questions.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Quen is stupidly powerful, even without the damage transfer. In the non-EE i think it took three hits, which is insane. My basic approach is cojstantly darting in and out of combat to reQuen so i can be comfortable getting a few combos in. Its not the most varied method but its effective, and i like the rhythm of it

That's pretty much what I'm doing. And constantly testing where the enemy's patching stops so I can chill out at the edge for a second and go in for the back stab. My biggest issue are humans with shields who seem to constantly deflect my blows. Also, is there any set in the Mage tree that increases the blows quen takes?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

That's pretty much what I'm doing. And constantly testing where the enemy's patching stops so I can chill out at the edge for a second and go in for the back stab. My biggest issue are humans with shields who seem to constantly deflect my blows. Also, is there any set in the Mage tree that increases the blows quen takes?
Sadly no which is why I kinda dont like Quen now except in dark mode. It used to be that the skills that increased its duration effectively increased how many hits it took as enemy hits would subtract from the time. When the game was first released it was stupid powerful and even without putting points into it it made you pratically invincible, a patch before the EE came out nerfed it a bit but if you invested into it on the mage tree it still was super powerful although itd only ever really take 4-6 hits.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Coughing Hobo posted:

Check the second post in the thread for the answer to both of your questions.

thanks, tried deleting old auto-saves and still not any better. I checked my framerate with Fraps and it seems pretty consistent between 40-55 FPS. The stuttering, poor load times, and slow texture loads is still happening and is driving me batty. I turned off SSAO as well, grrr, guess I'll keep playing with settings some more.

edit: upping texture memory size from small to very large seems to have helped with texture load times tremendously and gameplay seems to be smoother but I'm still getting the occasional stuttering and long loadtimes for cutscenes it seems... *sigh*

also, holy jeez, putting a few skills into improved vigor and enhanced quen is huge. I had been going swordsmanship until the second act and just went for quen+vigor, dunno how I got by so long without it.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 25, 2013

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Yrden is okay for sheilds, Aarr if you get lucky. Traps are best. . One of my favourite fights in the game is the one to open the gate for Foltest in the prologue. 3 normal soldiers, one shield guy,one knight. Each needs a different approach, throw em together and it becomes a n8ghtmare trying to juggle them all. I ended up using aard and samum to stun the basic mooks for a finisher, lure the shield guy over a conflagration, leaving me free to yrden-lock the knight. Felt like a boss

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yrden is okay for sheilds, Aarr if you get lucky. Traps are best. . One of my favourite fights in the game is the one to open the gate for Foltest in the prologue. 3 normal soldiers, one shield guy,one knight. Each needs a different approach, throw em together and it becomes a n8ghtmare trying to juggle them all. I ended up using aard and samum to stun the basic mooks for a finisher, lure the shield guy over a conflagration, leaving me free to yrden-lock the knight. Felt like a boss

I just lured them into the nearby Arch tunnel to bottleneck them and then placed a Yrden near the exit. Then I able to safely wail on one of them for quite awhile. Then, when the stun wore off, I just looped around and did it over again.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My struggle was right before that with the three guys in the room at the end of the stairs. There was no room to maneuver and it came down to getting really lucky by Aard stunning one of them and doing the insta kill. For the fight you're describing, I freaked out and ran behind the column and the big knight guy got stuck behind it and I just took on the other guys one by one.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

My struggle was right before that with the three guys in the room at the end of the stairs. There was no room to maneuver and it came down to getting really lucky by Aard stunning one of them and doing the insta kill.

The ones right after you jump in the well? Use your bombs there or trap one of the stronger ones with yrrden and quickly cut down the unarmored swordsman.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

My struggle was right before that with the three guys in the room at the end of the stairs. There was no room to maneuver and it came down to getting really lucky by Aard stunning one of them and doing the insta kill. For the fight you're describing, I freaked out and ran behind the column and the big knight guy got stuck behind it and I just took on the other guys one by one.

This actually remains a problem throughout the game. Any time they throw you in tight quarters, you're in serious trouble. Between getting snagged on geometry/having nowhere to retreat to/input blocking preventing you from throwing up quen in time, it can be awfully hard to win these fights without resorting to spamming bombs. Notable instances include the Harpy Queen fight, Seltkirk armor fight and the dwarf apprentice fight.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

My least favorite thing in the game is when they make you fight a golem in tight quarters. I think there's two or three of those.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

More Witcher 3 stuff, this time on the music. I thought the soundtracks of both W1 and W2 were fantastic, so I'm hoping they keep that up with the final instalment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Witcher 1 had some excellent soundtrack songs. 2 had decent atmospheric music, but I don't remember anything as good in terms of soundtrack.

• Locked thread