Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Beefsteak for any dog under 20 pounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
My family has always named their pets people names - growing up I had a GSD called Josh and a black cat called Sebastian. I've carried on the tradition with Hugo, and my next cat is likely to be a Bruno. My husband named Decoy so that doesn't count.

My suggestion would be to call him something short and easily twisted into something else. Decoy mostly gets called Decoy, the only nickname he has that is based on his actual name is Doodlebug (unless you count Dickbag, but they both get called that when they're being naughty). Hugo, however, as a list of nicknames the length of my arm because it's so easy play with - Hugert, Hugort, Hugonort (Huguenot), Hyoog, Hoog, Huge-o (when lifting him), Hugie, Hugette and Hugorino to name but a few.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle
My husband wants to call him Qubit, because he is a nerd. Turns out, I'm kind of a nerd too, and I like it. Plus, I can still call him Q, and I call all my animals Shortbus when they're being dumb.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

RazorBunny posted:

I've always wanted to name an animal Noodle. I also think Hambone is a great name for a pet.

We tend to think so too. :3:

:stare:

Mostly, I didn't want to stick with what the rescue named him: "Hamilton." It did not suit.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I wanted to name Feldman either Murderface or Killer. I think Murderface would have suited him fine :colbert:

edit: Vvv no, you're not right! :mad:

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 24, 2013

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

More like Grossflatface amirite.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Superconsndar posted:

I personally dgaf about eating horse, but I DO care about mislabeling and basically being lied to.
Catching up on the thread because of no internet for Saturday, but I wanted to comment on this too. I agree with the quote above completely, but I also care about the alleged animal welfare problems that they say comes with horse meat. Apparently the horses are shipped intolerably long distances to be slaughtered etc., which to me is a concern. I have no problems eating horse meat or feeding it to my pets if said horse had been well cared for and humanely slaughtered. Then again, eating horse is less of a taboo here than in the UK or US.

I'm actually kind of happy this scandal popped up, because now the companies are planning on making DNA testing of their meat ingredients a part of their routine internal quality control. I'd certainly hope this would be the case for pet food companies as well, but since the scandal was only about human food, I don't think the pet food manufacturers are affected at all.

UK goons, what happened to the mislabeled products over there? Here they are still thinking about just dumping them, which would be a huge waste. I'm pretty sure a lot of people would have no problems eating them even knowing there's horse meat in them. Just add a warning sticker for HORSE MEAT and donate them or something.

Azrael Alexander I hope you get well soon!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

^^^ I've got no idea what happened to the horse meat food. It wasn't something the news brought up; I assume it was just thrown in a big ol bin.

Superconsndar posted:

MY BOSTON TERRIER BIT ME.

It looks more like he gummed you quite hard.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Bash Ironfist posted:

I wanted to name Feldman either Murderface or Killer. I think Murderface would have suited him fine :colbert:

edit: Vvv no, you're not right! :mad:

Friend of mine had a dog named Killer, a nice friendly retriever. It's a great name!

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

Fat Dio posted:

Friend of mine had a dog named Killer, a nice friendly retriever. It's a great name!

When I was a groomer my boss had a long time regular customer named Killer. He was a huge rotti who just wanted to get in your lap and snuggle.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Another goon (writercath) just sent this to me and :neckbeard: Dane potatos! http://explore.org/live-cams/player/great-dane-service-puppies-indoor-puppy-room

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle

Fat Dio posted:

I had a Shih Tzu named Cujo. That poor dog must've had some kind of complex. Although I did see him chase off a javelina, so at least I know he tried.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

The mama dog's name is Olive and the puppies are referred to as the Pimentos :3:

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Fourthed:

Fifthed:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Aww, giant spotty dog mum. :3: And ten potatoes, I think?

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

http://explore.org/#!/live-cams/player/indoor-puppy-room-great-dane-service-puppies-2

I like this pile of puppies better :3:

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*
OMG Azrael I hope you and your bf recover quickly, and poor pup! If I had the cash I'd love to buy you guys a nice car harness for the doggy. :C I should use mine more often because I am notorious for wrecking cars and I'd be devastated if Diaz went through a windshield when it's a preventable thing. I recommend checking it out, I used to be all "pfthth too lazy" but it helps Diaz a lot when I come to a quick stop or make a sharp turn she's not expecting. At least it wasn't worse!

Aaahh love these puppy cams, they're s cute. ;.;

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

huskyjackal posted:

OMG Azrael I hope you and your bf recover quickly, and poor pup! If I had the cash I'd love to buy you guys a nice car harness for the doggy. :C I should use mine more often because I am notorious for wrecking cars and I'd be devastated if Diaz went through a windshield when it's a preventable thing. I recommend checking it out, I used to be all "pfthth too lazy" but it helps Diaz a lot when I come to a quick stop or make a sharp turn she's not expecting. At least it wasn't worse!

Aaahh love these puppy cams, they're s cute. ;.;

Awww thank you :3: I think I will def. invest in harnesses for both of our doggies now, sadly this is the second car accident poor Tucker has been in! Me and the boy are both still in the hospital but we're doing better, however slowly. xD

Just for fun, here's pics of both of us when our dogs were babies. My picture was taken the same night Fionna came home! :3:

Who was the cuter puppy?! I can't decide. xD

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Get well fast! We're all rooting for you.

edit: Here's a festive get well soon picture from Novolo, my green cheek conure.

Pile of Kittens fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 25, 2013

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh dear, missed that about the accident when I was skimming the thread earlier. Sorry. :( Hope you all get better soon.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
So dog booties happened. They were on sale at the store for $4. I can't forsee myself ever needing them in our climate, but...

Gary yelled at me.

I tried the front paws only first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54qvMc8anG4

Then the back paws as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85CwIi8GswQ

Please ignore my stupid voice but I couldn't stop laughing.

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

So this weekend has just been so MUCH fun. On Monday, Maverick went in for her yearly vet visit with shots and heartworm meds, I also asked the vet about a smallish lump I found on her side. Vet says we should remove it because of how deep it is. Friday, she went in to remove the tumor, then promptly spent the rest of the evening staring into her water dish, looking for the meaning of life. Then last night we left the dog home alone for a few hours and she broke out of her cone and tore out her stitches. So off we went to the e-vet who wanted 900 dollars to stitch her back up or 400 to bandage the wound. I declined both and bandaged the wound myself, and then got up and took her to the regular vet at 730 this morning. Now she has to go back under general anesthesia to resuture the gaping wound in her side. I feel so guilty for leaving her alone last night and I don't want this to happen again, but I have school and work this week, so she is going to have to be alone for long periods of time. All in all for this week we're out almost 1000 dollars for vet bill. I love my dog but my wallet is sad now.

So, now I need a recommendation for an escape proof cone.

Here is a gross picture from at the e vet :nms: http://imgur.com/zV8o8b9 :nms:

And here a cute picture http://imgur.com/Y254l05

Edit: I is good at grammar

DenialTwist fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 25, 2013

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Gary yelled at me.

Hahahaha! Awesome. And Gary. :3: He will forever be my PI dog crush. Love that dog so much.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I totally want to eat properly raised/slaughtered/labeled horse meat.

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

So dog booties happened. They were on sale at the store for $4. I can't forsee myself ever needing them in our climate, but...

Gary yelled at me.

I usually don't watch videos, but omg Gary is such a good sport :3: Lookit his waggy little tail!! He hates those boots so much :3:

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Gary yelled at me.

Hahha it certainly does sound like he's trying to scold you for those evil foot-trap devices. Gary is so cute.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Serious question, though: are those doggie bowling shoes?! They look like doggie bowling shoes. :3:

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

DenialTwist posted:

So this weekend has just been so MUCH fun. On Monday, Maverick went in for her yearly vet visit with shots and heartworm meds, I also asked the vet about a smallish lump I found on her side. Vet says we should remove it because of how deep it is. Friday, she went in to remove the tumor, then promptly spent the rest of the evening staring into her water dish, looking for the meaning of life. Then last night we left the dog home alone for a few hours and she broke out of her cone and tore out her stitches. So off we went to the e-vet who wanted 900 dollars to stitch her back up or 400 to bandage the wound. I declined both and bandaged the wound myself, and then got up and took her to the regular vet at 730 this morning. Now she has to go back under general anesthesia to resuture the gaping wound in her side. I feel so guilty for leaving her alone last night and I don't want this to happen again, but I have school and work this week, so she is going to have to be alone for long periods of time. All in all for this week we're out almost 1000 dollars for vet bill. I love my dog but my wallet is sad now.

So, now I need a recommendation for an escape proof cone.

Here is a gross picture from at the e vet :nms: http://imgur.com/zV8o8b9 :nms:

And here a cute picture http://imgur.com/Y254l05

Edit: I is good at grammar

You can tie a plastic cone to a dog harness and that works pretty well at keeping them from flipping it off with their feet. Better than just tying it to a collar in any case. You can also tie it tighter around the neck than you'd think. You can also get some bitter apple and spray it around the wound (not on). You can use a cotton ball to apply it.

Incision looks pretty good at least. She didn't seem to do too much damage other then pulling the stitches, which is good for your wallet.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Do you know what's not funny?

Having to run away from a 7/8 year child and a border terrier, with the border terrier towing the child and screaming at your dog.

:saddowns:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Fraction posted:

Do you know what's not funny?

Having to run away from a 7/8 year child and a border terrier, with the border terrier towing the child and screaming at your dog.

:saddowns:

I don't know that sounds kind of funny to me. :toot:

edit: Sorry to hear that, DenialTwist. I hope your dag gets better soon!

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Bwaha, I love that weird jaunty little hop run he has going with those shoes on, plus the flop on the floor.

I saw this today, it's almost a cute Frankie with the mismatched eyes.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

iwik posted:

I saw this today, it's almost a cute Frankie with the mismatched eyes.

I went to the illustrator's website, I love "How Not To Greet A Dog".

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Fat Dio posted:

I went to the illustrator's website, I love "How Not To Greet A Dog".

I wondered why that seemed so familiar, my vets posted it on Facebook previously.

Talking of vets my new one's very clever and if you book your visits online rather than via phone there can be quite good savings. http://www.vetsklinic.co.uk/

It's run by Joe Inglis, if anyone in the UK remembers two tv shows called Vets School, and Vets in Practise from the mid 1990's. He was in them along with Trude Mostue and others but I really only remember them

Wabznasm
Jul 19, 2006

Rof Rof

Zenithbliss posted:

Talking of vets my new one's very clever and if you book your visits online rather than via phone there can be quite good savings. http://www.vetsklinic.co.uk/

It's run by Joe Inglis, if anyone in the UK remembers two tv shows called Vets School, and Vets in Practise from the mid 1990's. He was in them along with Trude Mostue and others but I really only remember them

I wish there was one near me, that looks well posh, and so much better showing the price up front. My vet is pretty lo-fi and it's like throwing them a blank cheque and hoping for the best.
(Hope Trude doesn't work there though, I saw her butcher her training.)

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Ha Trude definitely doesn't work here.

One thing I especially like is any notes they write go straight into your account which you can access online anytime.

My old cat was admitted last month for 24hrs to get fluids in him, and as well as being able to read about his progress throughout the day they posted a photo of him eating into his account :-) I suppose it's good business sense for them as I normally call the vets asking for at least 1 update per long admission, and as they have to write their notes up anyway if they're shared with the owners it saves time on explaining things in phone calls.

Only problem is they use a separate out of hours vets (Vets Now Referrals) which are highly expensive, but lots of vets seem to be outsourcing nowadays

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I just wanted to pour a little bit of water on your head, Ires. Is that so wrong?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I just wanted to pour a little bit of water on your head, Ires. Is that so wrong?

"Girl, you crazy get that water out of here!"

Those doggy illustrations are adorable. If I had the money, I'd get one done of Feldman :3:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
One of the local orgs that does feral cat TNR found this in one of their traps this morning:

No worries, it was already neutered. :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Topoisomerase posted:

One of the local orgs that does feral cat TNR found this in one of their traps this morning:

Haha, poor guy :D I hope the bait was something really good at least.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Topoisomerase posted:

Cattledogs :doh:

My small animal vet posted this on their facebook today.

Those are some crazy huge bladder stones. The owner just adopted the dog 6 months ago and found that it couldn't pee all of a sudden. The dog must feel so much better not having those anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToiletOtter
Jun 18, 2007

Our Sammy singing a Serious solo Song.
I thought they were pieces of wood, which was bad enough.

Poor dog!

• Locked thread