Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:List_of_wikipedia-related_insults
also see the talk page
wikipedophile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
omputer translations
This article may contain original research. Please improve it by verifying the claims made and adding references. Statements consisting only of original research may be removed. (October 2008)

The Chef's gibberish gained a life of its own with the creation of a Unix lex filter capable of converting standard English to "chefspeak" in 1992. The filter quickly became a staple of hacker culture and eventually spread to the mainstream with "Swedish Chef" translators on several websites, most notably the Dialectizer; there is a popular Mozilla Firefox add-on called "Börk Börk Börk!", which allows the selective "translation" of text from web pages of the user's choice. In 2003, Opera Software – a Norwegian company – published a special "Börk" version of its internet browser, which turned the MSN website into "Swedish."[3] Google offers "Bork, bork, bork!" as one among its choices for user interface language[4] and Meebo and Guild Wars both offer "Börk!" as one of their language preferences. There also appeared a plethora of USENET newsgroups named after the chef's speech, the first being "alt.swedish.chef.bork.bork.bork", after which the repeated ending was incorporated into groups such as "alt.french.captain.borg.borg.borg" and other groups following this pattern. This "börk filter" was used in the Darkwind MUD as a curse, of sorts, when characters could be transformed into "little vikings" (to stay somewhat in theme) for a short duration.

The Norwegian company Trolltech, who develop the Qt Development Frameworks, used this "encheferization" for a more serious purpose – although the friendly rivalry between Norwegians and Swedes perhaps was its inspiration.[citation needed] They encouraged software development testing departments to use an "encheferizer" as a plug-in for the part of their product that provided internationalization and localization. Whereas it could not be expected that a test team would know every language to which a product might be aimed, by translating the parts that were supposed to be internationalized through the encheferizer to produce a localized version for Swedish Chef speakers, testers could immediately spot mistakes in the internationalization – parts that had been missed – as anything that had not been localized (encheferized) would show up in the language of the original author of the text. All the same, a tester would be able to test the product functionally, as it takes little language skill, and no software, to be able to decheferize the text: its meaning is clear even when encheferized.

The generally longer encheferized text could also help with graphics testing because it could show up errors where, for example, not enough space had been left for languages that morphologically tend to use more characters than most, such as German. While not perfect, and not intended to be, it stands as a good first stage to check an internationalization effort.[5]

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

JawnV6 posted:

when you can't hide the sobbing anymore and run to the bathroom to save face
i'm guessing that you are highly knowledgeable about this topic (optional)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SHAM BAM BAMINA posted:

i'm guessing that you are highly knowledgeable about this topic (optional)

citation needed

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

gooby on rails posted:

they're loving minerals, marie

you know, i bet there's a wiki page about people who want to gently caress minerals, and i bet it's worthless

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Suspicious Dish posted:

The song is often considered to be based on the hit Blondie song "Call Me",[citation needed] because of the thumping bass line and the occasional lead guitar riff (Blondie have in turn referenced this in their live performances by singing the lyrics of "Call Me" whilst covering the music of "Uprising", most notably at the RockNess festival in June 2010[citation needed]). However, "Uprising" can be argued to have more in common with the Black Sabbath song "Children of the Grave" which Blondie's "Call Me" may have been based on.[5] Many journalists have mentioned that "Uprising" is similar to the theme music for Doctor Who,[6][7][8] and the 1988 hit single Doctorin' the Tardis by The KLF.[9]

the zillions of sections like this in song articles are just "whoa these two songs both have a I IV V chord progression" right

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

that awful man posted:

you know, i bet there's a wiki page about people who want to gently caress minerals, and i bet it's worthless

sadly not but

Homeovestism is a concept identified by George Zavitzianos and further developed by Louise Kaplan, to refer to the arousal of a person by wearing clothing appropriate to his or her gender

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

that sounds like some patriarchy "women should not wear pants" thing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
probably a bad sign that the two people listed as responsible for that do not themselves merit wikipedia pages

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Carthag posted:

that sounds like some patriarchy "women should not wear pants" thing

that's plausible, but the way it's written it sounds like it refers to people getting aroused by their own wearing of gender-appropriate clothing, which is just weird

"mmmm goddamn these wool slacks and arrow shirts make me so hot"

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

it'd be kind of annoying to wear a skirt & heels all the time just so i could go about my day without sportin a stiffy

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sagebrush posted:

mmmm goddamn these wool slacks and arrow shirts make me so hot"
same

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Call Now posted:

sadly not but

Homeovestism is a concept identified by George Zavitzianos and further developed by Louise Kaplan, to refer to the arousal of a person by wearing clothing appropriate to his or her gender

sure;y "cisvestism"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
what if I'm only aroused by unisex jumpsuits

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it'd be kind of annoying to wear a skirt & heels all the time just so i could go about my day without sportin a stiffy

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

gooby on rails posted:

what if I'm only aroused by unisex jumpsuits

jerk it to Kim Jong Il

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Kim Dong Feel

Ugh that was weak but gently caress it post post

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Other card games sometimes transpose into this game. For an example, a child falling behind in Go Fish or Crazy Eights, or bored by a never-ending game of War, may simply declare "52-Card Pickup!" and sweep all the cards off the table.

One variant has the "dealer" hold up the deck of cards in one hand in a grip similar to the grip one might use to shuffle the cards. The deck is usually pre-arranged to have a few black cards on the bottom. The "dealer" instructs the other player(s) to call out "smoke" if they see a black card, and "fire" if they see a red. They hold up the deck and take the cards one by one off the bottom as the other player(s) call out "smoke" ... "smoke" ... "smoke" ... and, with the first red card, "fire!" On hearing "fire", the "dealer" riffles the cards (as if to shuffle them) into the air, "firing" the entire deck of cards toward the other player(s).

The game is sometimes renamed to adjust for deck sizes other than 52 or to fool someone who is already familiar with the game under its normal name.

By introducing additional rules, the task of picking up the cards can be made so interesting that it becomes playable as a solitaire game. A popular rule of this kind is that only cards from the top of the heap may be removed, and that they must be removed in sets that form Poker combinations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

im honestly surprised that article doesnt have a section on what its called in other palces/languages with everybody and their brother chiming in with unsourced bullshit

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
never mind, i cannot read.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 23, 2013

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Call Now posted:

sadly not

that's disappointing

i figured there would be an article filled with "educational" pictures of crystals being shoved into orifices and guys sticking their penises into lubed-up geodes

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that awful man posted:

there would be guys sticking their penises into lubed-up geodes

same

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Carthag posted:

im honestly surprised that article doesnt have a section on what its called in other palces/languages with everybody and their brother chiming in with unsourced bullshit

in Sweden, it's known as 'Stockholm' for some reason :iiam:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

axolotl farmer posted:

in Sweden, it's known as 'Stockholm' for some reason :iiam:

"guitar" in nordsjælland

= jeg gir, du tar

added bonus: "wanna/lets play guitar" - yea sure - cards to the face

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Chris_Benoit_mystery_editor_confesses:_claims_%22terrible_coincidence%22

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/82/TheDubstepKing_%28cropped%29.jpg

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

Osmosis Jones is a 2001 live-action/animated comedy film directed by Tom Sito and Piet Kroon for the animated segments and the Farrelly brothers for the live-action ones. Unusual in this genre, the animated characters are inside the live-action ones.

unusual, you say? but live-action-and-animation-hybrids-where-the-animated-characters-are-tiny-and-live-inside-the-live-action-characters is such a popular genre

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

unusual, you say? but live-action-and-animation-hybrids-where-the-animated-characters-are-tiny-and-live-inside-the-live-action-characters is such a popular genre

cool world had animated characters inside of the live action ones

and vice versa

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Sagebrush posted:

so it's basically "herman's head" with animes? ugh

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

that awful man posted:

so it's basically "herman's head" with animes? ugh

i used to watch hermans head. i dont remember liking it that much but i watched it anyway. i wonder how awful it would be if i watched it now

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

quote:

Alamogordo is known for the Atari video game burial of 1983. It is also famous for its connection with the Trinity test, the first explosion of a nuclear (atomic) bomb.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

i used to watch hermans head. i dont remember liking it that much but i watched it anyway. i wonder how awful it would be if i watched it now

how the hell were there two "little people live in my head" TV shows going on at the same time? :psyduck:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

schizophrenia?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

prefect posted:

how the hell were there two "little people live in my head" TV shows going on at the same time? :psyduck:

same reason there are a billion watch "real" people do their "jobs" shows now, i guess

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

oh yeah the great atari video game burial, that's a thing people know about

jesus christ

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

quote:

There is some apocryphal evidence that Warduke and Melf may know each other. In 1983's The Shady Dragon Inn, Warduke is mentioned as being a member of the same adventuring party as an elf named "Peralay," both of whom had action figures for TSR's 1983 toy line. The fact that the Peralay figure was originally released under the name "Melf" and Warduke's retcon into Greyhawk continuity provide a topic of apocryphal interest.
yes that certainly is interesting. please kill you are self now thanks.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

SHAM BAM BAMINA posted:

yes that certainly is interesting. please kill you are self now thanks.

melf the magic elf, never forget

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

PleasingFungus posted:

melf the magic elf, never forget

kill melf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004