Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

Two people, of different ethnic and religious backgrounds, can get married!???!!!

Is this where ligers come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
After how many years do you cease to be surprised that most Asian countries are literally the US in the 1920s a la Boardwalk Empire?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

And Hong Kong is pretty cosmopolitan and progressive for East Asia. It felt so diverse and free after living in Korea a while.

Fiendish_Ghoul
Jul 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 139 days!
I remember a poll a few years ago where something like 50-60 percent of Hong Kong parents didn't want their kids to go to school with South Asians, for whatever that's worth.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I feel like most of the racism in China comes from a place of ignorance rather than malice though. "My kid go to school with a black kid? But they're BAD for reasons I can in no way articulate!" You hear the most ridiculous poo poo here from people who have seen like two members of the ethnicity they're judging, if they've seen any at all. Everyone's knowledge of other races is predicated on third-hand information that is thoroughly garbled by China's general ignorance of outside cultures. And television, though television hopefully spreads more positive stereotypes than bad. "You're black?! Oh, you must be very good at basketball!"

Then again, Chinese are pretty racist to the minorities they do encounter often.

I don't know if Hong Kong gets the same pass with its south asian population though.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I gave up trying to discuss the distinction between racism of the ethnic nationalism variety and racism of the multicultural variety in D&D a while back, but that's entirely what that's about. Across Asia, darker is worse and black is the worst. They don't really know why, they just know it's bad and it meshes really well with the darker = dumber stereotype that's found throughout Asian cultures. Given sufficient exposure and a model minority, I imagine a lot of it would fade - but that's only potentially true as long as all of we foreigners remain a non-threatening percentage of the population with no real rights. There's a century of development to do on that topic throughout most of the continent. Japan's had a white local official here or there as I recall, but the day that foreigners go from participatory entities who are happy with living and working to enfranchised entities who demand rights, things are going to go pear-shaped in that country.

I recall having two separate, related discussions on the topic here. One with a black American of the Vietnam generation who visits regularly. I asked him about the racism in Thailand and he said, "poo poo, man, I'm from America - are you kidding?" or something like that. His point was clear. On the other side, I've had a number of discussions, but the best synopsis I got was from a Thai-Chinese girl who said, "It's okay for someone to be in a relationship with a black man as long as it's not in your family." I know China's a different animal, but that summed up the attitude here pretty well. Tolerant up to the point where it affects the family unit, then, well, we'll have to talk, heh. Of course relationships are pretty rare because people here openly say things like, "Black people stink!!!" and aren't remotely interested. It's similar for Indian sub-continent types. White people stink too, reportedly, but tolerably, apparently.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRboyW0BruY

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
一白遮三丑

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
The fundamental difference here when you're talking about ethnic tolerance is that China hasn't been an attractive destination for non asian immigrants for at least a few centuries. If you look at previous eras you had arab merchants, Jews, persians, and maybe the odd Tocharian, and steppe person marrying into or becoming a part of the larger society. However for at least 200-300 years China has been a poo poo hole of the highest order. Most of Africa had a higher standard of living than mainland China just 80 years ago. Now that China has improved and you are starting to see non asian foreigners wanting to live in China again for various reasons (ie. yellow fever*) then you'll see some cultural blow back.

I don't think this is anything odd or particular to China though.

*j/k

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Arglebargle III posted:

I feel like most of the racism in China comes from a place of ignorance rather than malice though. "My kid go to school with a black kid? But they're BAD for reasons I can in no way articulate!" You hear the most ridiculous poo poo here from people who have seen like two members of the ethnicity they're judging, if they've seen any at all. Everyone's knowledge of other races is predicated on third-hand information that is thoroughly garbled by China's general ignorance of outside cultures. And television, though television hopefully spreads more positive stereotypes than bad. "You're black?! Oh, you must be very good at basketball!"

Then again, Chinese are pretty racist to the minorities they do encounter often.

I don't know if Hong Kong gets the same pass with its south asian population though.

Limited encounters and experiences tend to result in stereotypes. Not all good, not all bad, but there regardless. Having a handful of experiences which confirm a stereotype basically just lock it in.

Only thing you can do to counter it is to disprove the negative and enforce the positive on a personal level and hope for the best.

From a Chinese perspective in Beijing: Africans all over SLT (and let's be honest... NJL in Shanghai too) selling drugs and pimping, in the country illegally. That's not racist, that's just fact. Does this mean *all* Africans or even *all* black people are like that? Hell no. But the negatives are easier to latch onto than positives. The first contact tends to dictate all. "All <other race> looks the same". Usually arises when you grow up in a homogeneous society. The differences your brain is programmed to pick up are dictated by those around you. As such, good luck getting a Chinese to pick up on superficial differences like foreign nationalities. It's not important to them at all.

Can Americans differentiate reliably between, say, Mexicans and Guatemalans? Or Chinese/Japanese/Vietnamese/Koreans? Or Persians and Arabs? People here guess I'm Russian/German/French/British/American/Canadian all the time. Get to the more remote areas, and I have had guesses thrown out there that I'm Uighur. It's not offensive, they are honestly trying to assess my traits and see what bucket to toss me into mentally. Tends to be because they have had at least some positive interaction in the past with those nationalities, maybe know something about those countries, and maybe want to pick a relevant topic for a conversation. (I'm so sorry to ruin your stereotypes, but I hate basketball and don't care about it... end of conversation, but at least 大山 conversations are dead and gone!).

Minority-directed racism, also pretty much along the same lines. Father-in-law spent his time in the military down in Xichang, as such, he spent time around the Yi people. Limited encounters, reinforced negative experiences... tada, he hates them all and will go on and on about negative traits. They had a slave-society until 1956 which included captured Han from raids. Superstitious about bathing while at the same time had a staple food of potatoes. So, local tensions where the Han are more than happy to tell you everything bad before you even see them for yourself, coupled with (yes) the smell. Get robbed on the train 9/10 times by other Han, and your brain tells you, that, as a Han, you know not all Han are thieves. That one time it happens to be Yi though, and bam, into the negative bucket it goes. Simple stuff really, it's tribal instinct back from the days where "someone who doesn't look like you or anyone you know is probably an enemy until proven otherwise".

As for black people, welp, in smaller cities, even more rare than white people. Being as it's entirely possible to be in a city of a 1,000,000 in China and be literally the only white guy there, that should give a great idea. As such, all exposure is limited to media consumption and everything negative sticks out. Ditto goes for news, official or otherwise. The grapevines don't shake all that much about the happy black-chinese couple getting along, but everyone talks when there's something negative. Again, human nature. And without the personal experiences to better gauge the issue and actors involved, there's nothing to really stop it from happening.

If the opinion is overtly negative, as the vast racial majority, all you know is that to avoid bad things from happening to you around black people, you just have to stay away from black people. And it's easy to do. Avoiding bad things from happening to you around other Chinese people.... well, I guess you could go bubble-world, but it's not practical, so it requires actual thought.

See the complaint about the "news" story thing with the HKer and Pakistani. It's sappy drivel and the only reason to talk about it is to complain how stupid the story is. Now, if it was not a marriage, and instead... say, a rape/murder. Oh it would be juicy! The complaint then would be the focus on the foreign element of the theoretical story. As it is now, it's a "goodwill" story and basically nothing else. Think of it as an insurance policy so in the future, when there might be bad news, at least all the internet searches don't turn out negative results I guess. This in a place, where people get all filled with hilarious hatred of the 1.? billion people up north for doing horrible things like spending money on stuff and seeing the place as desirable for certain aspects. I'm not really gonna say much more than it's probably not a bad idea to sap it up with the hilariously stupid propaganda.

Media is not the solution, policies are not the solution, and positive propaganda is disregarded by basically everyone everywhere. The only solution is that the minority must be aware of the stereotypes, communicate more, and not reinforce the undesirable views associated. And it's not an instant fix at all, it takes time. Is it fair? No. But don't expect the world to turn on a dime for your values and beliefs just because it would be more convenient for you.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

As such, good luck getting a Chinese to pick up on superficial differences like foreign nationalities. It's not important to them at all.

This made me laugh because it's just so true. Little stuff like your entire identity are blithely dismissed because the category "foreign" is just good enough for 70% of the people you meet. They're not trying to be mean they're just pig-ignorant when it comes to anything outside their little world like most Chinese. (For those of you with broken internet irony detectors: I know, it's a joke.)

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Arglebargle III posted:

This made me laugh because it's just so true. Little stuff like your entire identity are blithely dismissed because the category "foreign" is just good enough for 70% of the people you meet. They're not trying to be mean they're just pig-ignorant when it comes to anything outside their little world like most Chinese. (For those of you with broken internet irony detectors: I know, it's a joke.)

Literal conversation with the wife not too long ago.
Background: She works at a major MNC.

Me: The espresso machine on your floor isn't all that bad, the beans are stale, but it's tolerable
Her: I know, but on the 4th floor there's a much better one that the company spent at least 30,000 kuai on.
Me: Oh, are the beans fresh?
Her: Yea, the beans are fresh, but only one French guy even uses it. Actually, they bought it when he transferred here. All French people love coffee, so I guess they had to.
Me: Not ALL French people, it's just coffee.
Her: Didn't you say you had some French blood?
Me: Well, yes, but only some, like way way way back and...
Her: See! That's why you like coffee!
Me: Your mom likes coffee too, she's not French.
Her: That's different!

This is the only french person she knows, has basically never met him, is in an entirely different department, does not know the guy's name or even what he does. Her knowledge of the coffee stuff is based on what she's heard from others. Impact on her daily life/work/projects is absolute zero. The guy could be gone tomorrow and it would not matter apart from finding out if the company bought the machine as a relocation perk or if he brought it in himself.

Situations like this following scenes in media: Many. But at least she tends to ask me rather than just silently assume, because she assumes I might know something to challenge a stereotype she is building mentally. Sometimes I can challenge it, sometimes I can't, but it's usually a facepalm moment.

Now, take away that challenge and all you're left with is broad assumptions based on passive observations being used to build profiles which fork only when new data pops in. So, say the office gets another French guy who really doesn't like coffee, or if he was the only foreigner and it wasn't a MNC, add in another one. I guarantee basically every non-work related conversation involving Chinese and the new guy will involve coffee. And if instead of coffee he preferred alcoholism and sexual harassment, GOOD LUCK TO THE NEW GUY! It's what happens when there is a limited set of datapoints, and generally speaking you just flat out don't care because it does not impact your life enough to actually give a gently caress.

Negative racism basically comes into play, in my mind at least, when you've reached your fill of datapoints and negative experiences/stories, and your mind just shuts down and goes "gently caress it, they're all like that" with the exceptions being "one of the good ones". And this poo poo happens basically always everywhere when there is a new group introduced via migration or massive social status change. It kinda sorta takes time, generally a lot of it.

As for HK, iunno, I guess it's just hosed up.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Arglebargle III posted:

I dunno, the phrase "Laowai" doesn't even refer to a specific country or a region of the world. It's basically "Someone from any other place that's not China.". So I guess that's how they lump everyone that's not Chinese. Not the most precise thing in the world.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
At least they have stereotypes for different nationalities of Caucasians. It'd be a bit weird to turn up to work after transferring from Glasgow to find a 24/7 burger buffet shipped in that same day.

Although I will admit, I'm curious as to the stereotypes and stereotypical accent that surround Caucasians now.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

From a Chinese perspective in Beijing: Africans all over SLT (and let's be honest... NJL in Shanghai too) selling drugs and pimping, in the country illegally. That's not racist, that's just fact. Does this mean *all* Africans or even *all* black people are like that? Hell no. But the negatives are easier to latch onto than positives. The first contact tends to dictate all. "All <other race> looks the same". Usually arises when you grow up in a homogeneous society. The differences your brain is programmed to pick up are dictated by those around you. As such, good luck getting a Chinese to pick up on superficial differences like foreign nationalities. It's not important to them at all.

Also known as out-group homogeneity bias.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When I was in asia I found a majority of people didn't even know there were more than one white-people countries let alone continents.

From what I was able to piece together the common knowledge of the world outside of chinese-culture land was that all white people were just from some white people place. The USA is white people land and within it are the cities or regions of france, germany, canada, and so on. People weren't sure if France was a city or region within the US. It wasn't just a couple people, it was a huge number. And even when they finally understood it all they'd hand-wave it all away saying the differences weren't really enough to bother with since it's not like they were different races.

I'd ask something like "yeah all the same, just like chinese and korean and japanese and Filipino" which they'd get upset at saying that was different because those were different races with different blood not just minor superficial cultural differences. White people all have the same blood so can be thought of as the same.

Also white people's eyes glow in the dark. People were really confused/disappointed at this. Took me a while to figure out but it was because reality TV show had just started booming and all the night-vision scenes that make peoples eye look funny. They honestly thought white people had crazy cat-eyes or something.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Also white people's eyes glow in the dark. People were really confused/disappointed at this. Took me a while to figure out but it was because reality TV show had just started booming and all the night-vision scenes that make peoples eye look funny. They honestly thought white people had crazy cat-eyes or something.

To be honest, I would be loving stoked if we did.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

WarpedNaba posted:

To be honest, I would be loving stoked if we did.

Getting all Dune up in here.

The stuff about mostly positive stereotyping I've personally encountered a lot. Usually the only thing people will say upon finding out that I'm Jewish is, "Oh, you're so smart! Like Einstein!" Usually word-for-word exactly the same (do they rehearse these things?).

If they actually know any more about Jews, it's usually "Oh you're really rich. You control the world banking system." But not in a vitriolic "oh the Jewish conspiracy is so evil" way. It's more like "and that's totally hardcore, good job!" :jewish:

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
I had one of my teachers at Qingdao tell me that Jews are "mystical", plus the usual "way to control the world banking system there guy! :buddy:" type stuff.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Thanks for this.

Here's an article called "Performing Foreigners" by Phiona Stanley:

http://www.deakin.edu.au/arts-ed/ccg/events/pdf/mpn%20028.pdf

I've posted this before (in the T&T thread) but I think I can pop it up again because it was over a year ago. If anyone wants to further explore this issue in an educational context then I woud recommend anything by Jin Lixian and Martin Cortazzi.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Okay I've got a big SCMP load to dump today.

I'll start off with a favorite hobby of mine: gambling. It turned out that there's this resort in Sanya, Hainan that has a casino bar where punters can gamble, not for cash, but for "points that could be used to pay for accommodation, luxury goods, jewellery and artwork for sale at the resort." First place in China that you can gamble outside of Macau. Well, Reuters published this article about it on Sunday. Fast forward to today: Resort casino bar in Hainan closed by authorities. Oops, I guess that's over.

Let's come back to Hong Kong.

A weird case of a baby that was mauled by a husky dog in Mui Wo. Apparently the dog didn't injure the baby enough to need to send her to a hospital, so the courts aren't getting involved. That's fine, I guess. I'd imagine a husky would do pretty nasty damage to a toddler pretty easily, so it must not have been a really serious mauling. Then there's this

SCMP posted:

"If they can really control it, I think it's OK," said Matthew Lee, of the Hop Sing car repair store in Mui Wo, whose Pomeranian was allegedly killed by the husky.

"I think they love their dog," Lee said.

This guy's dog was 'allegedly' (which I guess means he himself claims?) killed by the other dog, but he's still cool with that dog? All right, whatever.

I've never been to Mui Wo, but back in December, there was another husky-mauling-baby incident there, so I don't know what's going on. Also all the names in this story are white people names. The dog's owner is Terkild Terkildsen and the baby is Emily Le Roux. Now I'm going to reveal my own prejudices and say the baby family is probably blowing this out of proportion because they have a Francophone name and Francophones always complain about everything when they're overseas. Next case!

Some of you may not be familiar with the "National Day Ferry Disaster" as the SCMP calls it, but basically two boats hit each other, one sank and a bunch of people died. A lot more than in recent maritime memory. Well, during the inquiry hearings, someone noticed that the court interpreter really sucked at her job.

SCMP posted:

He was also angry about an earlier translation error he was told about, concerning his niece. On January 10, Lunn commended firefighter Wong Tsz-kiu for his "sustained efforts to save the young girl".

The interpreter said in Cantonese that Lunn had commended Wong for "resuscitating" her. A clerk beside her pointed out that the girl had died.

Hong Kong's legal system is pretty awesome, and one of the more awesome things is that judges from around the Commonwealth serve in the courts here, providing impartiality and anti-Communistness. At the same time, having people who don't speak Chinese judging cases where people don't speak English means the interpreters have to be like 100% flawlessly awesome to ensure justice actually gets done. This was a pretty big fuckup.

Next, earlier in this thread, I took a big, Henan-style street poo poo over one of Michael Chugani's columns. I read his latest two and they had some good stuff to say.

This one was surprisingly not pro-Mainland.

Michael Chugani posted:

Officials insist it is impossible to reverse the multiple entry visas for mainlanders, but other cities limit visitor numbers by choosing the people they allow in. Our immigration officers blindly allow in mainlanders who come several times a day for questionable reasons, yet closely scrutinise those from places such as the Philippines. We need to wake up and smell the time bomb.

Then I want to shout out this one not because of its main story about the ICAC (which is apt), but because of its third subheading:

Micahel Chugani posted:

Let the market crash and the people march

Our property market will crash big-time. Public Eye says the sooner the better. Let's have no more government cooling measures. They don't work. Prices are once again climbing. Cooling measures are no match for the greed we have here. Our officials should stop telling people to think before buying in this loony market. Let them buy. That'll make the inevitable crash come sooner. Then they will march in the streets demanding a government bailout for being in negative equity. They've done that before. And we can tell them to shove off.

That would be fun, Michael. I agree.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Lien posted:

For what it's worth, I'm an international student at Tsinghua, doing a Master's level program. It's less rigorous than my undergrad in North America. It's one of the newer programs, so they've got a vested interest in everyone doing well, but we've been straight up told as long as we show up and do the work, we will never get less than 80 percent in a course. I can't really speak for other departments, and I'm not in a STEM field. I've heard that Tsinghua is very good for STEM, but in my experience I can't say the same for non-stem departments.

"very good for STEM" is a bit of an understatement, Tsinghua's the MIT of China. Not at all known for being strong in social sciences.

ReindeerF posted:

Over here, there are pretty much two schools (arguably three) worth a poo poo, Thammasat and Chula (arguably Mahidol). Chula is the old school royal-sponsored school with the money and Thammasat was started in the mid-twentieth century by a more free-thinking politician/public intellectual and has risen to become the alternative. Mahidol is technically the oldest "institution of higher learning" but wasn't called a university for a long time. When there were uprisings against the authoritarian governments and the open slaughter of students and dissidents in the 70s and 80s and 90s, it happened at Thammasat (example). This, of course, isn't taught to anyone who doesn't go to Thammasat.

It's an interesting dichotomy, because I mentor at Thammasat and the students that come out of there are about 500% more free-thinking and inquisitive than anywhere else. In that sense, it represents more of a Berkeley (contextually) to Chula's Harvard or Yale. I'm curious, does China's massive and growing university system have these kinds of dichotomies? Thailand's not tiny at 70MM people, but it's nowhere near the scale of even the US, let alone China, with nowhere near the resources. Still, you can see a marked difference on average between students from any other university and Thammasat, which has the closest thing I can see to Western-style, inquisitive curriculum that produces adults who can deal with international-style interactions. I'm just assuming that there must be at least one - if not more - schools in China like this given the size of the country.

I had looked into Thammasat (think it was my #2 choice on the application), but their Thai program was a joke. In hindsight, probably would have been happier there; my take-away from 11 months at Chula (aside from a bunch of Thai, since forgotten) is that rich Thai people are the scum of the earth.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Pompous Rhombus posted:

"very good for STEM" is a bit of an understatement, Tsinghua's the MIT of China. Not at all known for being strong in social sciences.

I had looked into Thammasat (think it was my #2 choice on the application), but their Thai program was a joke. In hindsight, probably would have been happier there; my take-away from 11 months at Chula (aside from a bunch of Thai, since forgotten) is that rich Thai people are the scum of the earth.

The thing about both Thammassat and Chula is that they don't even have the smartest Thai kids. The real silver spoon kids with intelligence get sent overseas to the U.S. ivy leagues, Singapore, or snooty European private schools until they get into Oxford. So you tend to get a lot of wealthy party people and generally subpar students in even the supposed "Harvard of Thailand" who would be academically inferior when compared with 2nd tier public university students in the U.S.

Thammassat used to have a reputation for rebellion and progressive politics but that all changed after the 80's or so. A lot of the programs were co-opted by the government with the consent of you know who to make sure you know what in the 70's never happens again.

There's still the occasionally rumbling by the rogue professor or two but they tend to get thrown in prison real quick.

Unlike Berkeley, Thammassat has really hot girls though.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Nobody wants to hang out and talk about articles with me? Fine. Whatever. I'm still posting this one because it's so hilariously awful:

"Hong Kong-sponsored mainland charity school turned into rubbish dump posted:

A charity school funded by a Hong Kong-based foundation was abandoned and turned into a rubbish dump shortly after its construction, according to a Beijing News report on Friday.

Villagers were enthusiastic when it first opened in 2008. However, it was soon closed and converted into a chicken farm before becoming a rubbish dump, the report said.

The school was built under Project Hope, a charity project of China’s Youth Development Foundation. It received 200,000 yuan (HK$248,500) from the Hong Kong-based Lingchuan Charitable Foundation and 150,000 yuan from the Kaili city government, the report said.

The school sits on a hillside nestled between cliffs at Laoshan village in Kaili city. It is the second charity school in Guizhou funded by Lingquan Charitable Foundation. It was intended to provide access to education for more than 200 children in neighbouring mountain villages.

The city's Department of Education explained that many mountain villagers had moved away to Kaili city. Students subsequently transferred to local primary schools in the city, leaving the charity school building abandoned.

According to Project Hope provisions, donors are welcome to monitor its progress, ask questions or conduct on-site visits at any point of the school-building process.

Leung, a spokesperson at Lingchuan Foundation told SCMP.com on Friday that they had been notified by the local government that the school would be closed to make way for a new highway.

Many netizens condemned the way large sums of charity money were wasted and called for an investigation. An editorial on China Economy Net wrote that “officials should be held accountable for their mistakes".

Literally just throwing money away. I just love the imagery of a charity school being used as a chicken farm. I would actually go to Guizhou to see that.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You link doesn't work. I googled it.

Anyway it was only 20 wan donation. I doubt there was fault play at work.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

whatever7 posted:

I doubt there was fault play at work.

Are you a non-native English speaker or have you been in China too long?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 23, 2021

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 23, 2021

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

VideoTapir posted:

Are you a non-native English speaker or have you been in China too long?

Whatever7 is a Chinese citizen I believe.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Okay then, I was just hoping for a really good example of someone's English getting Sinified. No offense intended. When a mistake still makes sense, that's a good sign as a second language speaker.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Some more LegCo fun with Leung “Long Hair" Kwok-hung, Hong Kong's favorite radical social democrat legislator. Once again he has managed to piss off a pro-Beijing legislator, this time fancy-schmancy barrister from the DAB, Lawrence Ma Yan-kwok. The fun starts at about 2:32. (direct link)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFY8yQuPUOo

I couldn't find the whole video with English subtitles, but the significance of this is that they start yelling at each other in (mostly) English and it reaches its zenith when Lawrence Ma declares to Long Hair that "you are not even loving Chinese!"

It's good television. :munch:

And I was impressed with Long Hair's English. I assumed the guy couldn't speak at all, but he's holding his own with Australian-educated fancy man over there.

My Cantonese still sucks pretty bad, so I don't understand most of what started the argument. I just know it was about the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. Anyone with better Canto who can fill me in?

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Bloodnose posted:

Some more LegCo fun with Leung “Long Hair" Kwok-hung, Hong Kong's favorite radical social democrat legislator. Once again he has managed to piss off a pro-Beijing legislator, this time fancy-schmancy barrister from the DAB, Lawrence Ma Yan-kwok. The fun starts at about 2:32. (direct link)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFY8yQuPUOo

I couldn't find the whole video with English subtitles, but the significance of this is that they start yelling at each other in (mostly) English and it reaches its zenith when Lawrence Ma declares to Long Hair that "you are not even loving Chinese!"

And I was impressed with Long Hair's English. I assumed the guy couldn't speak at all, but he's holding his own with Australian-educated fancy man over there.

My Cantonese still sucks pretty bad, so I don't understand most of what started the argument. I just know it was about the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. Anyone with better Canto who can fill me in?

All in English:
"I am a professional, you're not!"
"What is wrong with being a patriot!"
"You do not love your country!"
"You are not a bloody Chinese! I'm telling you, you are not a bloody Chinese! Tell me that you are Chinese!"

It would have been awesome if Leung had just said, "u mad brah?!"

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Bloodnose posted:

Subtitles here, and more context and analyzing from this site. http://badcanto.wordpress.com/2013/02/19/cppcc-member-insults-leung-kwok-hung-you-arent-even-a-loving-chinese/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt1SiGh1IvU

Long hair used to date/is dating a hot redheaded white chick so his English isn't too shabby :eng101: I'm actually more put off but this new Barrister guy throwing his "Australian Professorial Credentials" around and using his socio-economic privilege to belittle other people. It's pretty ironic that he uses English to show his patriotism to China and admonishes Longhair "for not being Chinese" :wtc: I don't think his English is that good if he has to resort to profanities in Legco. As for Longhair's level of patriotism? He's the dude who started the whole Diaoyu rocks fiasco, when he snuck out of Hong Kong's marine police for the 7th or 8th time. Carrying the PRC flag to claim Chinese sovereignty, when he hates the CCP

I do agree several of his issues on Universal suffrage and Human rights, but he is a populist and does not cater to minority rights in Hong Kong :( He also has a bit of axe to grind against expats who come here "and terk ur jerbs~~" spiel.

Hong Kong Legco meetings :suicide: It's unfortunate most Legco meetings have been broken down into a monkey circus because it's either bringing lots of props or shouting slogans and then getting kicked out. The more radical social democrats base their election platform on Universal Suffrage and Human rights issues but due to the makeup of the current legco composition, they will always be in the minority and get stonewalled. That's the strategy of the league of social democrats, it is to create civil disobedience to highlight media attention and raise awareness. Trolling the government for bigger political blowback if you will. Making coffins, bringing in paper dolls, large banners, throwing bananas, and a whole bunch of shock tactics to make them the look like the little guy fighting the big bad clean cut powerbase. Whereas the Beijing camp won't even touch a lot of issues on election much at all unless it was to avoid ostracization. For instance the National Education curriculum modification based on love of the country, the DAB were mostly quiet on the issue until the last minute.

caberham fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 24, 2013

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

ReindeerF posted:

I gave up trying to discuss the distinction between racism of the ethnic nationalism variety and racism of the multicultural variety in D&D a while back, but that's entirely what that's about. Across Asia, darker is worse and black is the worst. They don't really know why, they just know it's bad and it meshes really well with the darker = dumber stereotype that's found throughout Asian cultures. Given sufficient exposure and a model minority, I imagine a lot of it would fade - but that's only potentially true as long as all of we foreigners remain a non-threatening percentage of the population with no real rights. There's a century of development to do on that topic throughout most of the continent. Japan's had a white local official here or there as I recall, but the day that foreigners go from participatory entities who are happy with living and working to enfranchised entities who demand rights, things are going to go pear-shaped in that country.

I recall having two separate, related discussions on the topic here. One with a black American of the Vietnam generation who visits regularly. I asked him about the racism in Thailand and he said, "poo poo, man, I'm from America - are you kidding?" or something like that. His point was clear. On the other side, I've had a number of discussions, but the best synopsis I got was from a Thai-Chinese girl who said, "It's okay for someone to be in a relationship with a black man as long as it's not in your family." I know China's a different animal, but that summed up the attitude here pretty well. Tolerant up to the point where it affects the family unit, then, well, we'll have to talk, heh. Of course relationships are pretty rare because people here openly say things like, "Black people stink!!!" and aren't remotely interested. It's similar for Indian sub-continent types. White people stink too, reportedly, but tolerably, apparently.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRboyW0BruY
This is incredibly easy to understand. Darker skin people work out in the fields and are "ignorant" compared to lighter skin people that are educated or work indoors.

I wouldn't excuse racism in Asia. Its classist, racist, sometimes very sexist towards women, and there is a tinge of cultural superiority/xenophobia.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If any of you guys are in education it is highly entertaining to ask a group of Chinese students about stereotypes. Explain what one is and then ask them to come up with a list of as many as possible. I've done this a few different times and gotten some truly :wtc: answers.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

I just noticed you copied in a version of the video with English subtitles, although it's not as complete as the one I linked. Nice to see what they're talking about. LegCo Cantonese is even more incomprehensible to me than the kind on the street. I swear I kept hearing the word 屎窟 :psyduck:

Anyway, it really shows how lovely of a debater Lawrence Ma is. Long Hair quotes a speech verbatim, takes him to task "did you or did you not say that?" and Ma's answer is "NANANA YOU'RE POOR AND STUPID."

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

goldboilermark posted:

If any of you guys are in education it is highly entertaining to ask a group of Chinese students about stereotypes. Explain what one is and then ask them to come up with a list of as many as possible. I've done this a few different times and gotten some truly :wtc: answers.

Care to share?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

WarpedNaba posted:

Care to share?

Some that you guys probably can see coming.

"All Japanese women want to be AV stars."
"All black people will hurt you."
"All Japanese people are rubbish."
"All Chinese people are good-hearted."

The best one, though, and it was a 17 year old girl that said it, and she was so proud of herself when she said it.

"Black people should not eat chocolate because they will eat their finger."

I mean that's not even a stereotype, that's just full blown, displaced racism.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
No foreigners sell drugs and/or have AIDS? I think those were my favorites.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Stalin tried to copy the USA, too, but that was more a matter of industrialization than perception management :fsmug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

goldboilermark posted:

"All Chinese people are good-hearted."

You can just feel the cognitive dissonance on this one. Hopefully they can too.

Speaking of racism, the woman next to me on the flight back was watching a straight-up blackface comedy. There was this Chinese woman in ridiculous brown facepaint and red lipstick and an afro wig. I didn't pay attention to the dialog but it looked like she was doing such hilarious things as working, talking to people, and walking around. Apparently it was funny because the person next to me was laughing. So that's something that exists now. Great.