Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Sometimes, there's a clog in the pipelines.
Aura migraines, unfortunately. I started having them again when I had to have my implanon out and switched to nuvaring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Then I don't know honestly, because like I said I'm pretty sure your estrogen levels aren't going to change unless you use combined methods.

I've also heard as both a woman with knee problems and my physical anthropology days in college, that women are bit more prone to problems in their hips/knee joints anyway just because of their skeletal anatomy. Not so much because of estrogen, but from having a wider pelvis. The hip sockets kind of face forward and the angle of the femur is more severe (which tends to make the knee a little more unstable).

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Anyone have experience with sterilization at a relatively young age (late 20s) and no kids? My wife and I decided a long time ago that we aren't ever going to want children; between a number of hereditary conditions we'd likely pass along to any offspring, general disinterest, my wife being absolutely terrified of pregnancy and birth and having a history of miscarriage/complications in her family - her sister has had four or five miscarriages and has two kids, her other sister had issues conceiving and complications throughout her pregnancies and my wife had a twin that was stillborn.

She is pretty much set on having Essure done, and I just started a new job that offers benefits that will both be affordable and worth buying, so the two of us will have insurance for the first time in years. She is 27. We've read the stories about people like us being turned down by several doctors for sterilization because "you'll change your mind/you still have 15 years to have children/you could meet someone else down the road and have completely different feelings, etc." Is this as commonplace as I've been led to believe or is it just a matter of finding a doctor who doesn't see bigger dollar signs attached to delivering a baby (or two or three) vs. a single outpatient procedure?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
A lot of docs have to cover their asses on sterilization. You don't want to sterilize a woman and then get sued. But, it does suck when you KNOW that's what you want.

However, since you are married and you are both on board with the idea, it may be easier for her to obtain the procedure. Look for a lady gyno, who might be a little younger, who can make the rec and/or do the procedure. They tend to be a little more "yes you know your body better than I" about things like long term and permanent BC.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Geoj posted:

Anyone have experience with sterilization at a relatively young age (late 20s) and no kids? My wife and I decided a long time ago that we aren't ever going to want children; between a number of hereditary conditions we'd likely pass along to any offspring, general disinterest, my wife being absolutely terrified of pregnancy and birth and having a history of miscarriage/complications in her family - her sister has had four or five miscarriages and has two kids, her other sister had issues conceiving and complications throughout her pregnancies and my wife had a twin that was stillborn.

She is pretty much set on having Essure done, and I just started a new job that offers benefits that will both be affordable and worth buying, so the two of us will have insurance for the first time in years. She is 27. We've read the stories about people like us being turned down by several doctors for sterilization because "you'll change your mind/you still have 15 years to have children/you could meet someone else down the road and have completely different feelings, etc." Is this as commonplace as I've been led to believe or is it just a matter of finding a doctor who doesn't see bigger dollar signs attached to delivering a baby (or two or three) vs. a single outpatient procedure?

It might be difficult, but we also have at least one poster who was sterilized at 27 (I think) with no children. I asked about the same thing pretty recently so you might be able to find her posts about it a few pages back. As I recall it worked in her favor that she had massive pregnancy anxiety and a husband who could come in and back her up to the doctor.

Like Geolicious said, I think it has more to do with doctors being hesitant to do something permanent when it's not technically medically necessary and when there's a possibility they might be sued in the future for it. Plus it's still a deeply ingrained idea that people naturally want children (especially women) so "you're young, you'll change your mind" is a common mindset.

Is there some reason you can't or won't get a vasectomy? Just from what I've heard, there seems to be much less resistance from doctors about doing those on young childless men. It's also a bit less invasive than anything she can get and just as effective.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

NaturalLow posted:

Is there some reason you can't or won't get a vasectomy? Just from what I've heard, there seems to be much less resistance from doctors about doing those on young childless men. It's also a bit less invasive than anything she can get and just as effective.

In addition to getting sterilized she also wants to have a uterine ablation done (she's always had excessively long/heavy periods), and AFAIK you can't have the procedure done unless you're already sterile as it guarantees any future pregnancies will be ectopic. I'd say she's probably 50/50 on being sterilized for not having kids and having the ablation done.

I have no personal opposition to getting sterilized myself, and if we run into major resistance from more than a handful of doctors we might just end up going that route. I'm just trying to ascertain if the horror stories of blanket dismissal are widespread or if it's a very vocal minority of people who have run into this.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 25, 2013

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

NaturalLow posted:

Then I don't know honestly, because like I said I'm pretty sure your estrogen levels aren't going to change unless you use combined methods.

I don't have anything scientific to back it up but I found that my hormone levels in general felt a lot more stable on Mirena. I think the effect of the progesterone in blocking ovulation (which it does manage to do most of the time for most women, though not always) did lengthen/flatten the estrogen cycles my body went through.

So the Mirena might not be the ideal solution, but given the migraines with aura I'd personally consider it at least worth trying.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

NaturalLow posted:

t's also a bit less invasive than anything she can get and just as effective.

Essure isn't really more invasive than a vasectomy. I'd probably say it was less. It's out-patient, no cutting, and the procedure is apparently downright mild compared to IUD insertions. And iirc it's more effective than a majority of birth control once it's in place.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

I've been trying to work out a way to articulate this for a little while now, so please bear with me if I sound stupid, e/n or nonsensical.

I've been on Microgynon (combined pill) since I was 13, meaning it's been the best part of a decade now. I had a break about 3 years ago to try the implant (Implanon), and it worked really well for probably 4 months before making me spot constantly for 9 months, at which point I had it removed and went back on Microgynon. The period in which I had the implant also involved massive life upheaval that involved going from a poo poo situation to a far better one. The reason I mention this is because I've been following this thread now for a fair while and a lot of people seem to report some pretty big differences in themselves when they try or go off different hormones. I'm really curious to see what effects things have on my emotional state because, basically, I'm a bit mental and would like to know whether that, as well as other stuff (insert science about hormones changing things like your sense of smell and how it affects partner choice here) is affected by hormones, especially because I've been on them for such a long time.

The problem is that I'm in a monogamous, stable, long-term relationship and I both dislike and distrust condoms. I don't like the crinkliness and I trust hormonal contraception so much more. This, as I'm sure you can appreciate, means I don't really feel like I want to switch on and off different forms of contraception. Add to that the fact that with any new hormone levels there's a risk of negative effects, and I'm not sure what to do. I would appreciate some thoughts and advice because I've spent far too much time overthinking this!

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
Can you clarify what you want to do? Did you want to try a new pill or a non hormonal method to see what your body's hormonal "baseline" is and what effects BC is having on you? Are you looking for a new pill or contraception method?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Oops, sorry, I got a bit lost in the ramble there! I want to see the 'baseline' I guess, and maybe switch to something 'better' if there is that option. But I'm worried about negative effects that could go along with that in terms of my mood and general body (eternal period? No thanks!) stuff.

I think part of the wonderance as well is that during the implant times I was possibly happier, but there were so many other factors at play that I have no idea what effect, if any, the lower dose had on me in terms of emotions.

Switching non-/hormonal methods is a hassle with taking months to really settle into it and risks also random, variable effects like sore boobs, loss/increase of libido, random bleeding etc. On the other hand, I've been on this pill for a long time and there's also the increased risk of breast cancer to consider as it seems to run in my family.

Do I take the risk or stick with what I know to be, presumably, generally fine?

Does that make a bit more sense?

I feel like the more I talk the less I make sense. I don't mind doing this over PM if anyone fancies a bit of back-and-forth. I have very few contraception-wise friends to bash the issue out with, is all!

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 25, 2013

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I know what you're getting at. I just finished the first month of my new pill, and for the first two weeks I was weepy and sad and anxious as gently caress - it could have been the new pill, or withdrawal from the old pill(is that even a thing?) OR it could have just been the combination of my normal period-sads plus having a really lovely time at work. I don't really know! But I feel generally mood-fine now, so I figure it was probably just ~life~ rather than the pill's insidious hormones making me weepy.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Anecdotally, I would take the "people smell different" thing with a huge grain of salt. If you put me at a buffet of used T-shirts, I guess it's possible I would pick out different ideal ones based on my current status, but for me, it definitely had no real-world impact on choice of partner or happiness with partner. I wasn't on anything when I met a guy who smelled like loving amazing crack; I went on Implanon and he continued to smell just as mindblowing for three years, despite my initial surge and eventual ebb of hormones. I was involved with girls who smelled great and let my Implanon lapse; they continued to smell great. I met a guy who smelled good, I got my Implanon replaced, he continued to smell good. Scent is important to me, so it's not just confirmation bias, and I still couldn't see any effect of hormones.

I think emotions are pretty similar: hormones could have an effect, but not nearly as big an effect as other issues. If everything in your life is constant except birth control, and you suddenly started feeling awful, then sure, blame the birth control. If your life is in upheaval and a lot of stressful things have happened lately, and you also changed birth control, I would blame the other problems first.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Bollock Monkey posted:

Oops, sorry, I got a bit lost in the ramble there! I want to see the 'baseline' I guess, and maybe switch to something 'better' if there is that option. But I'm worried about negative effects that could go along with that in terms of my mood and general body (eternal period? No thanks!) stuff.

I think part of the wonderance as well is that during the implant times I was possibly happier, but there were so many other factors at play that I have no idea what effect, if any, the lower dose had on me in terms of emotions.

Switching non-/hormonal methods is a hassle with taking months to really settle into it and risks also random, variable effects like sore boobs, loss/increase of libido, random bleeding etc. On the other hand, I've been on this pill for a long time and there's also the increased risk of breast cancer to consider as it seems to run in my family.

Do I take the risk or stick with what I know to be, presumably, generally fine?

Does that make a bit more sense?

I feel like the more I talk the less I make sense. I don't mind doing this over PM if anyone fancies a bit of back-and-forth. I have very few contraception-wise friends to bash the issue out with, is all!

With the breast cancer thing, it helps to keep in mind that there are different types of breast cancer and some are influenced by hormones while some aren't so much. From what I can find, it's not really conclusive that there's an increased risk of breast cancer at all. If there is, it's small and disappears about 10 years after stopping use. And some argue this could also be accounted for by women who have access to birth control also having access to early breast cancer screening and better health care in general. You could also just as easily turn the cancer argument the other way since hormonal birth control decreases the risk of ovarian, endometrial, and colorectal cancers. For ovarian and endometrial cancers the risk is reduced by up to 80% depending on duration of use, even 20 years after stopping the pills.

It's entirely up to you what to do of course, but I personally think if what you're doing now is working for you there's no reason not to stick with it. Or look into other methods if you want, whatever works for you. Unfortunately I'm not sure if there's any avoiding the hassle if you do decide to "test drive" other methods since by their nature most methods (even something non-hormonal like Paragard) have a settling-in period while your body adjusts and everyone reacts differently to them.

One thing that worked for me when trying to narrow down what I wanted to at least try was just by figuring out what I definitely couldn't live with. Like in my case, most of the side-effects I got from combined methods were just not acceptable and I really didn't like the possibility of irregular bleeding with stuff like Implanon. But I didn't really mind the idea of putting up with heavier/crampy periods for 6 months in exchange for no hormonal side-effects, so I went with Paragard. What you consider acceptable might vary, that was just me.

Brazilian Werewolf
Dec 6, 2006
--dies at the end.

Ceridwen posted:

I don't have anything scientific to back it up but I found that my hormone levels in general felt a lot more stable on Mirena. I think the effect of the progesterone in blocking ovulation (which it does manage to do most of the time for most women, though not always) did lengthen/flatten the estrogen cycles my body went through.

So the Mirena might not be the ideal solution, but given the migraines with aura I'd personally consider it at least worth trying.

Yeah, I have pretty bad PCOS and on the minipill my periods still were a lot more regular and less painful. It's not as helpful as combined pills were, but still miles better than anything else.

I went absolutely bonkers when I was on Yazmin at 15 and I was also told it was just because I had emotional issues. I had to stop taking Yazmin because I got a blood clot, and after that I didn't have any problems like that ever again (even though I totally believed the doc) so trust me, all y'all who are dealing with lovely doctors, you're not alone. Combined pills definitely can make you loving nuts.

If anyone here doesn't want an IUD or can't/won't take combined pills for any reason I really wanna say the minipill/POP is a great alternative. Sure, it doesn't have the benefits of combined pills, but it also doesn't carry the same risks or side-effects and it's still high up in terms of efficacy (perfect use failure rate of .5%). There are limitations with it, for instance a much shorter grace period for taking any missed pills as compared to combined pills, but it's something to keep in mind if you're looking for options.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Thanks for the responses, guys. It's nice to hear some other points of view than my own and they give me a bit more to mull over.

jai Mundi
Jun 17, 2005

Kiss my shiny metal heinie
IUD question ahoy. And it's going to be a little TMI.

I warned you

Really.

I posted earlier about getting a Paragard IUD inserted back in April 2012. So far it's been smooth sailing. Fairly normal periods, a little heavier than when I was on the pill, but well in the range of normal, about 5 days, with 2 being relatively heavy, like a super tampon for 6 - 8 hours. And, no libido-lowering side effects of taking hormonal birth control.

Then, in January I had a 3 week period. I went in to see the Gyno, and she gave me some antibiotics, and 600 milligrams of Ibuprofen. The antibiotics made me barf. I called the Dr., and she told me to just take the ibuprofen. I was freaked out by taking 1800 mg of Ibuprofen a day, so once my period stopped, I stopped taking it.

Now, my regulatory scheduled period appears, and it is HEAVY. Like murder pants, going through a super plus tampon, panty liner, underwear and pants in 4 hours.

Has this happened to anyone else? You were in IUD utopia and now crazy periods? I did leave a message for my Dr., but I am considering switching to mirena to get rid of my period all together.

Thanks.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I'm kind of curious about what your doctor's reasoning was for giving you antibiotics to treat something that really doesn't sound like an infection of any kind? I'm not a medical expert, but if this turns out to be a one off thing it could just be your hormones being weird. If it continues in the next few months and becomes an ongoing thing, there might some kind of underlying issue that it doesn't sound like your doctor is too interested in addressing beyond "take some ibuprofen and uhh here are some antibiotics for some reason."

Also a lot of people swear by vitamin E to help with heavy bleeding. I take it and it seems to help or at least it doesn't seem to be hurting anything.

jai Mundi
Jun 17, 2005

Well,

I just spoke to the Dr. and she said that there could be an infection in my uterus that is causing the abnormal bleeding, and they need to rule that our first.

And I will be taking some vitamin E.

For better or worse, I will let the group know, just in case this happens to anyone else.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

jai Mundi posted:

Well,

I just spoke to the Dr. and she said that there could be an infection in my uterus that is causing the abnormal bleeding, and they need to rule that our first.

And I will be taking some vitamin E.

For better or worse, I will let the group know, just in case this happens to anyone else.

Okay, I was just wondering because some doctors have a habit of throwing antibiotics at stuff and it sounded kind of weird without the extra detail. So I'll just admit right now, I judged your doctor too harshly in my last post.

I don't really have a lot of suggestions except keeping close track of everything and keep your doctor informed of what's going on. If you're looking for actual medical opinions about what it might be, The Goon Doctor forum might be a good place to ask. I think there's even a few Ob/Gyns posting in there.

jai Mundi
Jun 17, 2005

NaturalLow posted:

Okay, I was just wondering because some doctors have a habit of throwing antibiotics at stuff and it sounded kind of weird without the extra detail. So I'll just admit right now, I judged your doctor too harshly in my last post.

Oh - I didn't think it was harsh. I've had doctors try to prescribe antibiotics for things that are viral. It won't really help the problem, but it probably won't hurt mentality. I don't want to take drugs if I don't really need them.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Did your doctor switch you to a different type of antibiotic? Doesn't sound like you were on them long enough to rule out an infection.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Yeah, if you haven't already you might want to discuss the nausea/vomiting from the antibiotic. They can probably prescribe one that won't make you so sick so you can actually finish the course.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
I just had Mirena inserted this afternoon, and it was one of the most painful things I've ever experienced. It's mostly stopped hurting now, only 4 hours after the insertion, but what I'm worrying way ahead about eventually getting it removed. Will that hurt as much as the initial insertion?

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

miryei posted:

I just had Mirena inserted this afternoon, and it was one of the most painful things I've ever experienced. It's mostly stopped hurting now, only 4 hours after the insertion, but what I'm worrying way ahead about eventually getting it removed. Will that hurt as much as the initial insertion?

It didn't hurt nearly as bad for me. I had to hold the nurse's hand, mostly because I am a huge pansy and I passed out from the pain of the insertion, but the removal just felt like a bad period cramp for about five seconds. Much easier out than in.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

I've had two Mirenas removed. Keep in mind that my uterus likes to eat IUD strings (it's very tilted, so that may be why) so my removals are *much* more complex and have the potential for a lot more pain than a standard removal because rather than being able to just pull gently on the strings to take it out they have to go fishing in my uterus for the IUD itself with various instruments. The results is that for me removal is actually a lot more invasive than insertion.

The first removal SUCKED. It was far more painful than my first insertion. Mostly because the doctor did not want to have to numb my cervix (it was being done at the student health center and supplies to do so weren't easily available). I made it through about ten minutes of him trying to find the IUD before we finally had to go ahead with the numbing. After that it was a lot better, though still pretty painful because things were already quite irritated by then. I will say that the cramping post-insertion of the second Mirena (done right after the first was removed) was much less than after the first Mirena was inserted, despite how generally pissed off my uterus was because of the difficult removal. I went to a party that night with only a dose of Aleve in me and held a yard sale and packed a moving van the next day with minimal cramping.

By the second removal, my strings had disappeared again so I knew it was going to be a similar situation to the previous time. This time I asked for my cervix to be numbed from the get go. The doc did try with the IUD hook a few times before numbing me, but he was very gentle and it did not hurt. When that didn't work he numbed my cervix (also not painful, just some slight discomfort) and used something more like hemostats to grab the IUD. Because my cervix was numbed before any painful stuff was done the only thing I felt was some weird pressure and then one big cramp (less than with insertion) when he got hold of the IUD and pulled it out. No cramping afterward and I felt completely normal by the time I was leaving the office.

So yes, removal can potentially suck but the vast majority of the time it's no big deal. And even if you end up like me with a more difficult than average removal (both docs commented that mine was one of the most difficult removals they had ever done and both were quite experienced with IUDs) there are things they can do to make it less painful. Just make sure you communicate clearly with them about how things feel and don't be afraid to ask for the numbing if it looks like your removal procedure will be more difficult than average. I was super anxious going into the second removal because of how painful the first had been and it was actually a breeze. If your strings go missing take a lesson from my second removal experience and you can still have it be nearly pain-free!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Anyone happen to know if that new Skyla IUD has the same acne problems Mirena has? I know it's pretty new, so I'm not expecting much conclusive stuff for at least a few years.

e: god dammit

quote:

SIDE EFFECTS
The good news: Skyla is over 99 percent effective at preventing pregnancy. And in some cases, the hormones from Skyla (and Mirena) can reduce cramps, lighten your flow, and even sometimes stop bleeding altogether. Now for the bad news: security comes with some strings attached. According to Bayer, the most common side effects include vulvovaginitis (vaginal inflammation or infection), pelvic pain, acne or seborrhea (itchy, flaky skin), ovarian cysts, headaches, menstrual cramps, breast pain, increased bleeding, and nausea.

Maybe someday :negative:

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 1, 2013

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Kerfuffle posted:

Anyone happen to know if that new Skyla IUD has the same acne problems Mirena has? I know it's pretty new, so I'm not expecting much conclusive stuff for at least a few years.

e: god dammit

Maybe someday :negative:

It's the same hormone... It's less of it, so there's that. FWIW I didn't get acne from Mirena :v: I'm still not totally sure how much of the stories about acne with mirena is due to coming off combined pills (that tend to help acne) rather than from the hormone itself, but that's no-acne-having-person skepticism so perhaps not worth much.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 1, 2013

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I am still bleeding and cramping from my mirena insertion/period from 2/12. Today my flow just got really heavy again and I'm having significant back pain that radiates down my right leg. I should probably call my gyn, huh? I know a lot of women experience spotting for a long time, but this is way more than that. :ohdear:

mau
Jan 13, 2013

Eggplant Wizard posted:

It's the same hormone... It's less of it, so there's that. FWIW I didn't get acne from Mirena :v: I'm still not totally sure how much of the stories about acne with mirena is due to coming off combined pills (that tend to help acne) rather than from the hormone itself, but that's no-acne-having-person skepticism so perhaps not worth much.

The possible relationship between Mirena and acne is also something I'm struggling to understand. I went from Nuvaring to Mirena and my face exploded in acne. At first I thought it was just because I went off combined BC (which Nuvaring is, if I'm not mistaken) but the acne never seemed to lessen. In fact, it only kept getting worse. I struggled for two years, spent at least a thousand dollars on skincare and facial treatments but nothing seemed to help at all.

After two years, I was fed up and decided to consult the gyno who inserted the Mirena. I walked in, he took one look at my face and pretty much said that the thing needs to come out. This was October or November 2012, can't quite remember. As of now, my skin is nowhere near perfect, but the change has been amazing. I still get some blemishes but my face looks a lot more tolerable. Even people around me have noticed the improvement, so I'm not imagining things. My only regret is that I kept the Mirena in for so long.

Of course, I cannot claim I'm 100% sure that the Mirena was what caused the acne but I can't think of any other reason why the acne would begin improving pretty much immediately after removal. Of course, it could all be in my head, seeing that I still get more blemishes than I did on the Nuvaring. I really don't know. :iiam:

P.S. I don't want to scare anyone off from getting the IUD - Mirena is absolutely great for a lot of women. Unfortunately, I was not one of them.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Twatty Seahag posted:

I am still bleeding and cramping from my mirena insertion/period from 2/12. Today my flow just got really heavy again and I'm having significant back pain that radiates down my right leg. I should probably call my gyn, huh? I know a lot of women experience spotting for a long time, but this is way more than that. :ohdear:

I would call your doc. I spotted for a while, but as lovely as my insertion was I was mostly pain free a few days later. My whole understanding from my gyno is bad pain and bleeding is a red flag. So, I would definitely call sooner rather than later.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Yeah, I'd call. Non-cramping pain would be the trigger for me.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

Geolicious posted:

I would call your doc. I spotted for a while, but as lovely as my insertion was I was mostly pain free a few days later. My whole understanding from my gyno is bad pain and bleeding is a red flag. So, I would definitely call sooner rather than later.

Seconding this--as bad as my insertion was, the pain was down to severe menstrual cramp levels the next morning and gone the day after that. Pain two weeks later has got to be a bad sign.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Geolicious posted:

Yeah, I was almost completely pain/cramp-free 24 hours after insertion and that's with Paragard, which is a little worse on cramps. The bleeding stopped about a week after and tapered down to a little more than spotting a few days before that. Then again, some of my really bad cramps kind of radiate down into my legs as you describe, so who knows?

It definitely would be a good idea just to call your doctor and make sure everything is all right though. That's part of their job. :)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Sorry for the double post, but I thought I'd share for anyone considering the Paragard:

I'm on my second period with it and things are going much better! Still a little on the heavy side, but besides a few random moments of cramping here and there it hasn't been bad at all. I actually haven't even needed a heating pad this time around and I've barely had to touch the ibuprofen. I don't know, maybe my case is unusual but I just thought I'd post it to let you all know that Paragard doesn't always cause the nightmare periods from hell that they tend to talk about.

It's also nice because even though I don't really need birth control anymore thanks to some crap in my personal life, I'm still protected/won't have to rush to the clinic for BC whenever the next guy comes along and I don't have to deal with hormones in the meantime. But then the "when do I stop my birth control?" has always been kind of an issue for me whenever I have relationship problems.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Geoj posted:

Hey! I'm the person that was mentioned a few posts under your one here that just had a tubal done - I'd be more than happy to speak to your wife privately if she's more comfortable with that and would like, but as mentioned you can read some of my posts about my experiences here in the thread as well. I just went digging and found the post where I spoke about my trip to the gyno when they told me I could be a candidate for sterilization, which is here, as well as a summary of some of my experiences and costs which is quite a bit more recent, which is right here and there's a few more just down the page a little as replies. As a recap, I'm 27, been married for 10 years this upcoming November, and have amazingly awful anxiety disorder in regards to pregnancy becuase of a past birth control failure/termination that was just.. completely awful.

On that note - and the reason I had come back here to post, I wanted to make sure everyone here got a chance to see that Mississippi is putting up their "Personhood Amendment" again. PLEASE go read about it, educate yourself, your family and every person you know if you live in a state or area that this might get put up. Mississippi is not the only state that has this stuff on the books - Ohio tried to pass it, North Carolina had it up for discussion, as did Virginia and Maryland, but thankfully it never went far enough to catch much wind. There's a thread up in GBS right now about it, and in a reply there's a link to the older thread when this came up before that has a massive amount of information and education material.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3537060

Even if you're not a woman, if there's a woman in your life that you love and care about, this affects you. Do what you can to educate those around you because if this kind of thing starts to get voted through then women are going to be in a rather bad place for a long time to come.

sexily
Jul 25, 2001

Oh, is this 1953?
I have a questions: how long does it take for hormones to leave your system once you've stopped taking them? I only ask because I swapped out the Mirena for the Paragard in the same day. This was a month ago and I've yet to have a period. It's strange because I was bleeding all the time on the Mirena and now with the Paragard I haven't bled at all aside from the initial insertion. Am I gonna have some crazy catch-up period?

AbandonShip
Dec 25, 2007

NaturalLow posted:

Sorry for the double post, but I thought I'd share for anyone considering the Paragard:

I'm on my second period with it and things are going much better! Still a little on the heavy side, but besides a few random moments of cramping here and there it hasn't been bad at all. I actually haven't even needed a heating pad this time around and I've barely had to touch the ibuprofen. I don't know, maybe my case is unusual but I just thought I'd post it to let you all know that Paragard doesn't always cause the nightmare periods from hell that they tend to talk about.

It's also nice because even though I don't really need birth control anymore thanks to some crap in my personal life, I'm still protected/won't have to rush to the clinic for BC whenever the next guy comes along and I don't have to deal with hormones in the meantime. But then the "when do I stop my birth control?" has always been kind of an issue for me whenever I have relationship problems.

I looove my paragard! I couldn't find a hormonal bc that didn't annihilate my sex drive. So I had a paragard put in 2 months ago and I have to say I'm a fan of it too. I haven't hit my second period yet, but my first one wasn't terrible at all. Much heavier than usual, but only cramped on and off for a day.

My only issue is I haven't been able to find the strings this whole time. I know that's some what common and I would probably know if I expelled it. But it makes me a tad nervous. Probably not a big deal though. Insertion was definetly uncomfortable, and I cramped/bled here and there for a few weeks afterward. But I seem to be out of the woods now, and I love it.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

sexily posted:

I have a questions: how long does it take for hormones to leave your system once you've stopped taking them? I only ask because I swapped out the Mirena for the Paragard in the same day. This was a month ago and I've yet to have a period. It's strange because I was bleeding all the time on the Mirena and now with the Paragard I haven't bled at all aside from the initial insertion. Am I gonna have some crazy catch-up period?

Your uterus is probably all confused with having things put in and out, and it's likely not the hormones (I'm pretty sure they get out within a week or less) stopping you from having a period. Sometimes the body is weird getting used to things and there are people who haven't bled for a month or so on Paragard and then start up. No one knows whether it will be crazy or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

sexily posted:

I don't think it takes very long. I know after a week or two I was definitely feeling the effects of my own hormones taking over again (sex drive, crazy moods, acne :sigh: ). And maybe I was just lucky, but my period came naturally right on time a month after finishing my last pack of pills and everything has been regulated since then. It's possible your body is just confused and maybe you're stressed by all the switching things around. I don't know if you'll have a crazy catch up period, but your first period with Paragrd may be a little crazy anyway. If you need to work/be mobile I highly recommend ibuprofen and some of those stick-on Thermacare heat pads. Those things saved me on that first period.

AbandonShip posted:

I looove my paragard! I couldn't find a hormonal bc that didn't annihilate my sex drive. So I had a paragard put in 2 months ago and I have to say I'm a fan of it too. I haven't hit my second period yet, but my first one wasn't terrible at all. Much heavier than usual, but only cramped on and off for a day.

My only issue is I haven't been able to find the strings this whole time. I know that's some what common and I would probably know if I expelled it. But it makes me a tad nervous. Probably not a big deal though. Insertion was definetly uncomfortable, and I cramped/bled here and there for a few weeks afterward. But I seem to be out of the woods now, and I love it.

You know, I knew the pill was having an affect on my libido but I never realized how much until I switched the IUD. I've always had a bit of a high sex drive, but the increase in it has been crazy for me. Or maybe I just notice it more since I don't have anyone to fool around with right now. Between that, no migraines, and no pills I love this thing. Best investment I've made. :v:

As for the strings, there are definitely certain times in my cycle when I guess my cervix is riding a bit high and I can barely reach the strings, so that may be part of your problem. Another thing I've found that helps is getting into a squatting position first. It kind of brings everything down lower and makes it easier to feel. I don't know if that's much help though, I've always been able to feel my strings.

• Locked thread