Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Those battle damaged Aliens are pretty darn creative, NECA is really good to innovate on its lines. But honestly, I'm more excited for the Kenner Preds

I mean, just look at this glorious motherfucker

Day one buy :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I wonder what impact Alien Colon's release had on sales of the old alien games? I preordered a copy for myself and a friend and so far he is leading the race with 0.1 hours played (the intro movie). I will probably end up buying the old games twice to deliver on the multiplayer fun we expected.

I feel like I should pirate BL2 to even things out but I didn't like the first one, so I guess I will wait to see what gearbox makes next. At least this thread is great and also got me to rewatch the movies.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
If you didn't like the first one you may not like the second either, but I will say that next to A:CM it sure feels like it's not the same studio. Borderlands 2 is super polished, stable on all platforms, beautiful and huge.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I think I just figured out Prometheus. It all makes sense now:

It was the Will of the Force that everyone one the mission except Shaw dies so she could use the Engineer ship to go to a galaxy far far away in order to pave the way for a Prometheus/Star Wars crossover movie directed by Ridley Scott and written by Damon Lindelof and George Lucas (Who happens to be renowned for his deep, philosophical movies!). This will also allow for more exiting A:CM DLC like Darth Vader's helmet or Han's legendary blaster pistol.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Russad posted:

There's a lot to complain about when it comes to Gearbox, but the BL2 season pass is pretty clear on what it covers.

Well, it sure didn't when I preordered.

Orgone Accumulator
Jan 28, 2006

It's been a long time coming.

Spacedad posted:

The thing I miss the most about the xenomorphs from the first two films is the weird nightmare quality of it all. The more that various takes on the Alien franchise try to explain away the xenomorphs or offer up weird scientific explanations for them, the less frightening and more commodified they become. They've become an easily dismissed icon rather than a stand-in for your worst nightmares about a hostile encounter with the unknown.

It's interesting to me that I still have dreams about the Alien alien from time to time even when I haven't watched a movie or played one of the games for years. Maybe it has to do with having seen the film at a certain age. The dreams aren't usually nightmares and often the alien doesn't even appear in person, but there's always a suffocating sense of claustrophobia and imminent, inescapable doom. Like that scene where Parker and Lambert are loading up those cylinders before the alien gets them.

My Alien game would be something like Miasmata + Amnesia. You're trapped on a ship in space with one alien and the tools / weapons you have are only good for scaring it away for a bit. It would hunt you relentlessly and there would be an entire system of vents and accessways for it to appear from and surprise you. You could recreate the scene with Dallas in the vents with an AI crewmember (or computer) telling you when the alien was getting closer.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This is from a while back, but

BexGu posted:

I can't wait until Bro Team Pill get their hands on this game.
Your knight has arrived:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uWrXA3nwU4

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

Wait until later this year - their older Aliens from a couple years ago had joint issues, but they're making new ones due out this year with improved articulation and sculpts.

For example, you wouldn't be able to pull this off with the older NECA Alien figure:

More pics:

I thought that original shot was a bust, glad to see them revisiting their line and adding tons of articulation. That's my only issue with NECA figures, there's a ton of points of articulation but there don't really go that far (elbows, wrists, knees, ankles) and you're pretty drat limited on poses. Are they going to rerelease on the "Big Chap" Alien from the first film or just the Warriors, because I don't care too much for the latter.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

echronorian posted:

If you didn't like the first one you may not like the second either, but I will say that next to A:CM it sure feels like it's not the same studio. Borderlands 2 is super polished, stable on all platforms, beautiful and huge.

Yeah I just got around to checking out BL2 the other day actually, right off the back of beating BL1 and the obligatory zombie DLC. The step-up between the two is pretty immense. It's almost like they got a whole bunch of money from somewhere to work with...

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So, uh, this just got posted:

http://www.destructoid.com/gearbox-embezzled-aliens-colonial-marines-money-246558.phtml

quote:

"TimeGate is at fault for: Wanting to even take on this project and their shoddy work," Danielson wrote. "Granted, I heard about their claims about Gearbox having full creative control, but they should have tried to show their side of the argument and fight more if they had problems with Gearbox's creative control and creative direction.

quote:

"SEGA is at fault for: Announcing the project in 2007 when no work was done at all," he continued. "In my views, a game project should be announced publicly when it is 50-60% done, so you won't have to wait 6 years for a game that turns out to be poo poo.

quote:

"Now here is the company that should get most of the blame: Gearbox Software and Randy Pitchford. Gearbox stole from SEGA, they robbed us, lied to us about the game, and tried to get another company to make the game instead. Let's see where the funding went shall we? Everyone said the game went to both Borderlands games, but Duke Nukem Forever gets a mention as well, but it's pushed out of the spotlight, because people want to forget about that game, and I don't blame them! Duke Nukem Forever had a big impact on Aliens: Colonial Marines as well."

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That rabbit hole just got a whole lot deeper, god drat. I seriously want my loving money back just so Gearbox never sees a cent of it.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
If Gearbox did embezzle money to buy DNF it is like committing mortgage fraud to buy a condemned building on contaminated land.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sire Oblivion posted:

I thought that original shot was a bust, glad to see them revisiting their line and adding tons of articulation. That's my only issue with NECA figures, there's a ton of points of articulation but there don't really go that far (elbows, wrists, knees, ankles) and you're pretty drat limited on poses. Are they going to rerelease on the "Big Chap" Alien from the first film or just the Warriors, because I don't care too much for the latter.
While NECA hasn't confirmed it, it's almost a certainty. They put a lot of work into the new Aliens sculpt and articulation, and the 'Alien' version would share most of the same parts except for the feet, forearms, and head. It would make a lot of sense if they did it.

The Kins posted:

Your knight has arrived:
I see they had the same reaction to the flamethrower that I did - light all the PMCs on fire. :black101:
Like seriously the first time you get that weapon is when there's no Alien enemies in sight and you're fighting strictly humans. It's a bit of a baffling design choice that the game encourages you to light other humans on fire instead of torching Aliens, but I won't say it's not satisfying. :shobon:

Also I'm blown away by the degree of graphical and AI glitches in that video. It's unacceptable, and I feel really lucky that I haven't experienced *any* of the stuff present in that video. Falling through the level geometry, only to respawn at a checkpoint and immediately fall through the level *again*? NPC allies outright ignoring enemies? NPC scripting/pathing issues where they get caught up on terrain? :laffo:

I mean yeah Bro Team usually shows the absolute worst of the worst in a game for hyperbolic comedic effect, but holy poo poo.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

blackguy32 posted:

Lets be real here, all of the AvP games have been horribly unbalanced. If you were a marine in the original AvP, you were probably going to get horribly murdered, repeatedly.
Didn't the original AvP multiplayer tell you, "Hey man, the appropriate ratio of humans:aliens:predators is 5:2:1"?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

rope kid posted:

Didn't the original AvP multiplayer tell you, "Hey man, the appropriate ratio of humans:aliens:predators is 5:2:1"?

I know you can set max amounts for each species and you can even set the amount of points certain kills get you, but I think the default is no limit for each team

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Speaking of which, and correct me if I'm wrong, but AvP2010 don't allow you to have TDM without all three species represented.

We've been playing improvised MP with ordinary DM to get around that limitation(which also removes the arrows/friendly indicators for Marines), Marines vs Aliens.

Domination is pretty rear end, and most maps are too small/segmented for such game modes to really work.

AvP2010 would be pretty ok if it had twice the number of maps and they were all twice as big. It's really obvious that no map is designed for more than 12 or so players, tops.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Pimpmust posted:

Speaking of which, and correct me if I'm wrong, but AvP2010 don't allow you to have TDM without all three species represented.

We've been playing improvised MP with ordinary DM to get around that limitation(which also removes the arrows/friendly indicators for Marines), Marines vs Aliens.

Domination is pretty rear end, and most maps are too small/segmented for such game modes to really work.

AvP2010 would be pretty ok if it had twice the number of maps and they were all twice as big. It's really obvious that no map is designed for more than 12 or so players, tops.

I don't know about TDM, but I know it lets you do it with Species DM, since one match we all went marines and had one pubbie as the predator and we just tried to pistol whip him to death.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

blackguy32 posted:

I know you can set max amounts for each species and you can even set the amount of points certain kills get you, but I think the default is no limit for each team
Maybe it was just a recommendation, then. That's how we played it at work when it came out and it felt appropriate/good. Five of us would be hooting and hollering and crying while being torn apart by aliens, accidentally setting each other on fire while one marine crouched in the corner with a minigun and shot at the shimmering figure outlined by random flares on a catwalk.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

rope kid posted:

Even though I may have been guilt of this, at the very least I set it up so every kill an alien get turns them into a queen. You wouldn't believe how fast the humans and predators banded together to fight a common enemy. :can:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Dr.Oblivious posted:

Even though I may have been guilt of this, at the very least I set it up so every kill an alien get turns them into a queen. You wouldn't believe how fast the humans and predators banded together to fight a common enemy. :can:

I remember playing AVP2 online back in the day. There was a huge furball going on in the main room of the map. I was playing a Marine (like I usually did) and the Aliens were about going one for one with us. I remember the server mentioned Alien and Marines only. So, fun is being had and bullets and trash talk is flying fast and furious when we hear the whipcrack of a plasma caster. Without a word being said, everybody stops and goes Pred hunting. A minute or two later, the Pred posts a whiny "Why's everyone picking on me?" message. Everyone points out the server name. The Pred insults everyone and ragequits. As soon as everyone is sure he is gone, back to the joyful slaughter.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Samizdata posted:

I remember playing AVP2 online back in the day. There was a huge furball going on in the main room of the map. I was playing a Marine (like I usually did) and the Aliens were about going one for one with us. I remember the server mentioned Alien and Marines only. So, fun is being had and bullets and trash talk is flying fast and furious when we hear the whipcrack of a plasma caster. Without a word being said, everybody stops and goes Pred hunting. A minute or two later, the Pred posts a whiny "Why's everyone picking on me?" message. Everyone points out the server name. The Pred insults everyone and ragequits. As soon as everyone is sure he is gone, back to the joyful slaughter.

This reminds me of a match we had a few days ago. I was doing some humans vs aliens in AVP 2010 the other day with goons. You can't set up a species deathmatch without including at least one predator, so it just normal deathmatch with gentleman's rules. Well, some random pubbie jumps in just as the game launches and starts slaughtering everyone. Being the kind and generous folks that we are, we decide to dogpile on the intruder until he rage quits. The only only problem is that there are no names displayed in AVP2010 and every marine was using the default Franco skin (Franco is the pro-choice). This lead to much yelling and "accidental" killing of our fellow goons before we finally figured out a system for eliminating the hapless pubbie. It was complete pandemonium and also a blast.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

rope kid posted:

Oh god, the nightmares. :gonk:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Duke Nukem Forever is a god drat force of destruction. Jesus Christ. A game so bad it managed to ruin A:CM by proxy. It took out 3d Realms and now it has Gearbox in its sights.

EDIT: Jim Sterling is really pushing the boundaries of games journalism and I love it. That's tenacity the entire field of journalism is lacking.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 24, 2013

NineBreaker
Oct 22, 2005

Seems the game is $50 now on Steam--wasn't it $60 before?

I'm NinebreakerNZ on Steam if anyone wants to add me. I would like to join goons in AvP2010, something I never thought I would say several years ago.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

NineBreaker posted:

Seems the game is $50 now on Steam--wasn't it $60 before?

Released on PC for $50. You can get it at Amazon for $45. (Don't buy this poo poo)

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I guess Destructoid won't be getting any special treatment from Gearbox in the future.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Just saw a TV advert for Colonial Marines, at least they're using current in-game graphics for the spot because man it looked like poo poo.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

ReV VAdAUL posted:

If Gearbox did embezzle money to buy DNF it is like committing mortgage fraud to buy a condemned building on contaminated land.

And the building would be on fire.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
The thing is, this isn't the first time this kind of funding "redistribution" has happened.

Chris Roberts, during his Digital Anvil days, was given a large amount of funds to complete Freelancer after Microsoft bought a large share (not total control, yet) of the company back in 1998-99-ish, giving DA a needed cash influx to push the stagnant project forward. What happened was Roberts used a portion of those funds to fund/finish his Wing Commander movie. I don't know/remember the percentage amount used on the film, but I think it was a fair chunk, enough to raise eyebrows. In the end the movie required Roberts to even invest his own money to push through, and still flopped heavily in 1999. After the failure of the movie, the funds for Freelancer were quickly drying up, so Roberts did the "smart" thing and sold total control of Digital Anvil to Microsoft in 2000, which is the part everyone remembers of that game's development. Microsoft scaled back the design ambition and managed to ship a functional game in 3 years.

I guess we got a pretty good game and a terrible (if not guilty pleasure) movie out of that circumstance. And to his credit, as small a condolence as that may be, Roberts removed himself from creative and development control of Freelancer to Microsoft after the mistake became apparent.

I'm not sure how that contrasts against Gearbox's A:CM hubris. On one hand Gearbox produced two really good games and two duds with SEGA's money. On the other, SEGA made no money off of Borderlands 1&2 or DNF, dumped 6 year's worth of cash into Gearbox for one title, and is currently under the large scrutiny spotlight of the worst major release of this console generation. I don't know, maybe Pitchford does need to be made an example of? I hate to put the collar around the necks of my favorite pastime's creators, but at some point truly terrible mistakes such as this need to be as common knowledge as things like the Trojan Horse and the Titanic.

I wouldn't be surprised if this funding re-appropriation has happened more often, perhaps the gambles paid off on other projects and as such will only be whispered with sighs of relief.

If there's anything to learn from all this, it's that game developers are loving terrible with money.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Goons vs Predator played some Infestation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C530g4nvz8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxTwp9Bynl4

This one time the humans actually won

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOjbghXyc8M

But overall they did not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeqDT4L9HAg

The Kins posted:

Your knight has arrived:

Xenomrph posted:

I see they had the same reaction to the flamethrower that I did - light all the PMCs on fire. :black101:

Like seriously the first time you get that weapon is when there's no Alien enemies in sight and you're fighting strictly humans. It's a bit of a baffling design choice that the game encourages you to light other humans on fire instead of torching Aliens, but I won't say it's not satisfying. :shobon:
Yep, it's one of the few unambiguously good things about the game and one of the few things - the joy of seeing men burn alive and the hilarity of hearing your friends burn men alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DLIC05iqkw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cinaH4HzHgw

Mark of CGM did that a lot too as you can see in his video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-97r3GfZik

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Bootcha posted:

The thing is, this isn't the first time this kind of funding "redistribution" has happened.
If there's anything to learn from all this, it's that game developers are loving terrible with money.

That's interesting. I didn't follow the Digital Anvil drama. I don't see how a Wing Commander movie would have ever been thought as a good idea.

I disagree with that conclusion though. It's not fair to just say game developers are terrible with money, people in general are loving terrible with money when given a large sum no matter what they do. Look at how many people go from rags to riches to rags after winning a lotto. Though most of game developers are 'college educated', it's still not surprising since they'd likely have never taken a business/economics class.

It's not just limited to games either. It's more appropriate to blame the "lenders" (publishers) when they're willing to give out a very large sum of money at once instead of appropriating it out slowly with stringent conditions for subsequent lending/credit capacity (i.e. requiring progress reports and progress). Especially given how predictably bad people are.

Edit: Not that Gearbox isn't a bunch of shady dicks though.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 25, 2013

NineBreaker
Oct 22, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

Goons vs Predator played some Infestation:

I believe you, but there are precisely 21 players online right now, all of whom are in Species Deathmatch, of which 12 of those are Predators. I want to play without Predators almost as badly as I wanted Colonial Marines to be a good game.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Bootcha posted:

The better comparison is to Silicon Knights, where team members and funds that were supposed to go to their X-Men game went to working on the Eternal Darkness 2 tech demo - then the publisher finally said no more extensions and the game was shat out to horrible reviews and sales.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The sniper rifle killing the Preatorian in 1 shot was some bullshit I tell you what.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

The better comparison is to Silicon Knights, where team members and funds that were supposed to go to their X-Men game went to working on the Eternal Darkness 2 tech demo - then the publisher finally said no more extensions and the game was shat out to horrible reviews and sales.
To be fair I'd much rather have an Eternal Darkness 2 than yet another X-men game or something.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
We all would, but that isn't what their contract was for and Gearbox and Silicon Knight have probably hosed over future projects with their shenanigans.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

To be fair I'd much rather have an Eternal Darkness 2 than yet another X-men game or something.

The X-Men game they were working on actually had a good bit of promise, and I'm kind of disappointed they instead shuffled the money towards a tech demo that may or may not have attracted a publisher.

Also regardless of if the game they moved the money to was better or worse a concept than the other, the point is that the publisher was paying for one game they would release and see a return on, but instead their money was used for an entirely different game/tech demo they have no hold over and would earn nothing from. It's like one of the few occasions where the publishers side is sympathetic, especially when it causes such a sizable flop as Aliens: Colonial Marines.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

We all would, but that isn't what their contract was for and Gearbox and Silicon Knight have probably hosed over future projects with their shenanigans.

Considering that no more than four people now work at Silicon Knights, I would consider them to be pretty hosed. Unfortunately it seems like Gearbox will continue trucking along, although I imagine that publishers will be pretty leery when it comes to making agreements with them now.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
I didn't mean for those companies specifically, I mean publishers are going to be much stricter with developers in the future. Silicon Knights hadn't produced a good game since Eternal Darkness, and Gearbox hasn't since Opposing Force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neurolimal posted:

The X-Men game they were working on actually had a good bit of promise, and I'm kind of disappointed they instead shuffled the money towards a tech demo that may or may not have attracted a publisher.

Also regardless of if the game they moved the money to was better or worse a concept than the other, the point is that the publisher was paying for one game they would release and see a return on, but instead their money was used for an entirely different game/tech demo they have no hold over and would earn nothing from. It's like one of the few occasions where the publishers side is sympathetic, especially when it causes such a sizable flop as Aliens: Colonial Marines.
Oh I totally agree, developers basically embezzling publisher funds is shady as gently caress and it would piss me off no matter where it happened, not just because My Favorite Franchise got dicked over in this instance.

• Locked thread