Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
That's one of Piaget's Cocktail Rings. Really fun idea.

There are many more designs, but only a few online. Do a google image search for "piaget cocktail ring series" and it should find a few dozen. Some of them are amazingly constructed.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.
I'm getting married in August, and I was looking for flower ideas and ran across this:

http://accentsandpetals.com/category/wedding-bouquets/red-bouquets/

Does anyone have experience using wooden flowers? It seems like an easier way to go, but do they look ok?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I think that looks pretty neat. For me personally it'd be one of those "now what the hell am I gonna do with this" things after the wedding, but if you have plans for what to do with it afterwards I'd go for it. I'd worried about a large-ish bouquet of wooden flowers getting a bit heavy and unwieldy since they say they use recycled wood from shipping crates and not something lightweight like balsa or basswood.

Edit:

How does David's Bridal stay in business? All the consultants are horrible and all the dresses are "my first home ec project" level of quality and ugly to boot. I went there to look for bridesmaids dresses, thinking it'd be the most convenient since my bridesmaids are scattered from Alaska to Virginia ad there are DBs everywhere but there's no way in hell I'm buying dresses from them.

Problem! fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 19, 2013

Randomly
Jan 20, 2013
I've been tasked to create a list of things I want to put on the registry. I've never been a guy that like asking for gifts so this is out of my comfort zone. I'm clueless. Where should I register? What did you forget to ask for that you wish you had?

We are both about 30 years old and have most of the basics.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.
It says on the website that they're mostly made out of birchwood so they shouldn't be too heavy? They have been ordered so I will let everyone know how they turn out.

I think to dispose of them we'll go have a bonfire on the beach. Or people can take them home for souvenirs if they are so inclined.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Randomly posted:

I've been tasked to create a list of things I want to put on the registry. I've never been a guy that like asking for gifts so this is out of my comfort zone. I'm clueless. Where should I register? What did you forget to ask for that you wish you had?

We are both about 30 years old and have most of the basics.

We have an Amazon registry, any time we find something that we'd like to have but don't need immediately we stick it on the Amazon list. We have a lot of random non-standard registry items on there, like a variable speed buffer. We're also pretty set housewares-wise, but we're asking for upgrades to a lot of stuff. We have a lot of Ikea kitchen stuff and we're registered at Williams-Sonoma for nicer versions of what we have. Same for our Walmart sheets, we're registering for nice sheets that we wouldn't ordinarily buy for ourselves. Stuff like that. If you asked me right now to put together a registry list I'd have no idea. We started our registry a while ago and only have maybe 10 things on it.

Basically, any time one of us goes "man I wish I had [thing]" and we don't need it right away it goes on a registry, regardless of what that thing is.

As for where we're registered, as of now we're at Amazon, Williams-Sonoma, and Le Creuset. I'm planning on heading out to Macy's and maybe Target and Bed Bath and Beyond at some point soon.

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

How does David's Bridal stay in business? All the consultants are horrible and all the dresses are "my first home ec project" level of quality and ugly to boot. I went there to look for bridesmaids dresses, thinking it'd be the most convenient since my bridesmaids are scattered from Alaska to Virginia ad there are DBs everywhere but there's no way in hell I'm buying dresses from them.
I just gave my dress to their alteration department last week. I had been told when I got the dress that they could add a sash of any color to the dress to make it pop more. We went in there intending to buy the sash so we could have it sewn on. The stores don't carry the sashes for people to buy, so they called the distribution center to order one. Turns out David's Bridal is so lovely they can't even dye a ribbon in time for my wedding two months away. I went next door to the fabric store, bought some ribbon, same length, for $2 (it costs $15 for David's Bridal's special ribbon). After this I'm not doing business with them.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Dead Pikachu posted:

I just gave my dress to their alteration department last week. I had been told when I got the dress that they could add a sash of any color to the dress to make it pop more. We went in there intending to buy the sash so we could have it sewn on. The stores don't carry the sashes for people to buy, so they called the distribution center to order one. Turns out David's Bridal is so lovely they can't even dye a ribbon in time for my wedding two months away. I went next door to the fabric store, bought some ribbon, same length, for $2 (it costs $15 for David's Bridal's special ribbon). After this I'm not doing business with them.

I asked if a strapless dress could get straps added, before I noticed the plastic baggy of removable spaghetti straps attached to the dress. They told me it'd be $15 per dress to add the straps. The straps that only need to have a hook inserted into a loop to add. :rolleyes: I get that bridesmaids dresses usually only get worn once and don't need to be super durable, but I also don't want my bridesmaids looking like they're going to their first high school dance. Plus the lovely attitude they copped when I told them I already bought my dress elsewhere and was just looking for bridesmaids dresses... yeah I'm never going back.

On that note, is it a requirement to be a total rude rear end in a top hat if you own/work in a bridal shop? The one I ended up buying my dress from seemed to be the exception to the rule, and it was a contributing factor to buying my dress from them instead of somewhere else. Shouldn't you be nicer to someone who's potentially going to be dropping several thousand dollars in your shop? I get that it's probably grating to work with bridezillas all day every day, but would it kill them to give the benefit of the doubt before copping an attitude?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I'm in the market for an engagement ring. I've been doing the research and I'm trying to figure out the best way to buy a diamond/ring or both online, or if I should visit a jewelry store.

I've been all over pricescope doing research. I've certainly learned a lot, and a visit to a local Shane Co. pretty well confirmed the spec's that I'm looking for in a diamond.

What I want to know is, are their methods trustworthy? They have this "HCA" calculator that they swear by on their forums, but if I've learned anything from SA, and being on the internet in general, it's that isolated online communities experience massive group think and confirmation bias. I'm an engineer, so I love some math and numbers, but I'm wondering if there's a method to their madness, or if it's just madness.

Also, what's everyone's experience with jewelry stores? The only advice I've ever received is to avoid mall stores, and that's all I can really find so far around the Twin Cities without heading to the ritzy parts of town. Are there any chains that are decent, or should I try to find a small independent place? I'm mostly concerned about the service aspect of it, with warranties, re-sizing, and the like. Is it even worth trying to find a local place, or should I just buy online and trust that grades and measurements will supply me with a good stone and use the savings to purchase service locally?

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I got a dress from there and was really pleased with it, both for price and appearance. Yeah, it didn't feel as nice as some of the fancy stuff I tried on at different small boutiques but, for something I was only going to wear one time, it was great. I posted a link to our photos a little while up the thread if you want to look for yourself, but I think it looked really good.

That said, I did have a run-in with one of the managers at my local store. However, their district office worked with me on it, and I ended up getting a huge discount on alterations because of it.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

DaveSauce posted:

Pricescope.

Are there any chains that are decent, or should I try to find a small independent place? I'm mostly concerned about the service aspect of it, with warranties, re-sizing, and the like. Is it even worth trying to find a local place, or should I just buy online and trust that grades and measurements will supply me with a good stone and use the savings to purchase service locally?

It's prudent to take everything with a grain of salt. The HCA cut advisers only tell you how close a diamond comes to a predetermined formula, and opinions differ on whether that formula translates into better diamonds. I can tell you that in the trade we don't use anything like that when buying diamonds. It's all consumer marketing.

Interestingly enough we're seeing the companies that specialized in the "light performance" marketing (pricescope, etc) fall by the wayside. Cutters always hated them because it's often an inefficient use of the rough material, and most diamond dealers can't tell the difference between EX/VG/G cut. The industry as a whole has gone back to basics and said "How can I make the most beautiful diamond" instead of trying to match some pointless formula. And consumers are responding to it.

There is nothing wrong with buying online. I'm biased because it's what I do, but your money goes farther buying online as the brick & mortar stores have higher fixed costs.

But one thing to remember: A GIA report only lists ~10 pieces of information. The full examination data contains another 10 and then there are several items that the GIA does not record that are highly important. So long as you work with an expert directly that can vet the diamonds and aren't just randomly pulling from a spreadsheet based on the reports you'll be A-ok.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I asked if a strapless dress could get straps added, before I noticed the plastic baggy of removable spaghetti straps attached to the dress. They told me it'd be $15 per dress to add the straps. The straps that only need to have a hook inserted into a loop to add. :rolleyes: I get that bridesmaids dresses usually only get worn once and don't need to be super durable, but I also don't want my bridesmaids looking like they're going to their first high school dance. Plus the lovely attitude they copped when I told them I already bought my dress elsewhere and was just looking for bridesmaids dresses... yeah I'm never going back.

On that note, is it a requirement to be a total rude rear end in a top hat if you own/work in a bridal shop? The one I ended up buying my dress from seemed to be the exception to the rule, and it was a contributing factor to buying my dress from them instead of somewhere else. Shouldn't you be nicer to someone who's potentially going to be dropping several thousand dollars in your shop? I get that it's probably grating to work with bridezillas all day every day, but would it kill them to give the benefit of the doubt before copping an attitude?

As a seamstress I have all kinds of stories about terrible bridal shop alterations. The big thing being that if they screw up and send the complete wrong size they won't do and exchange in almost all cases. They also sew things in such a way that unless you work with their dresses on a daily basis as an in house seamstress it is difficult to get into the center of a dress to do a proper alteration. The whole dress situation is another RACKET in the wedding industry and it can really be a shame.

Whenever my friends get engaged I try to discourage them from going to David's Bridal or other cheap place for their dress or for their bridesmaids. I have made now a handful of dresses for people and although I could do a wedding mark up I just don't see the reason why you would do that to someone. I haven't done too many bridesmaids dresses except for repairs and some cute shrugs and boleros for folks that needed something to go with their dress. If someone I know does just want to go to a store I suggest going to Nordstroms- if you are going to make your bridesmaids pay $100+ let them get something that isn't made with crap fabric, will be altered in store at a reasonable price, and will be return/exchangeable. Going somewhere with good customer service is always worth it. Don't stress out your wedding party more than you need to.

FloorCheese
Jul 17, 2012
Re: David's Bridal - for plus-sized brides who do not want to spend several thousands on a dress, it's pretty much the only option. Boutiques do not carry dresses in my size (I am a 14/16, which makes me something like a 20-?? in bridal sizes) and I got my wedding dress for $400, which was about what I wanted to spend.
That said, I am taking it to a proper tailor to be altered, I don't trust them to do it.

I don't have a bridal party but last wedding I was in as MoH the bride basically let us get any nice cocktail dress in any style. It was made with beautiful silk shantung in a great color and I've worn it many, many times since the wedding - definitely a good move on her part and something I'd endorse to anyone else with a bridal party. Your bridesmaids will really thank you for it :)

FloorCheese fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 19, 2013

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

JohnnyRnR posted:

There is nothing wrong with buying online. I'm biased because it's what I do, but your money goes farther buying online as the brick & mortar stores have higher fixed costs.

Just about everything you've mentioned is why I'm nervous about buying online. I want to because I can get so much more for the same amount of cash, but I fear I'll drop a load of cash something sight-unseen and be disappointed in the result. All I have are grades and the occasional picture, but at the same time I'm not sure I can justify paying premium prices in a store.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
For what it's worth, I got a better deal buying at a brick and mortar store than I would have online. Every place that sold the setting I liked they wanted $1400+ for the setting and probably over $2k+ for what I was looking at for the diamond. I paid $800 for the setting and $1440 for the stone by getting it custom made at a local jeweler. Most of the money I saved on the stone because for some reason it came in graded two levels lower on clarity than it really was, but even disregarding that, the setting was considerably cheaper.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

rockcity posted:

...for some reason it came in graded two levels lower on clarity than it really was...

What's the story on that?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Regarding HCA, my fiancee and i bight her ring/diamond from a local b&m but we went and looked at several diamonds.

We ordered then according to which looked best to us and upon plugging then into HCA, they matched up. The best "looking" one to us rated high on the hca scale but the GIA cut rating was actually lower than some others we didn't like as much. Could have been a coincidence though. YMMV

Frolic
Oct 21, 2005

DaveSauce posted:

Just about everything you've mentioned is why I'm nervous about buying online. I want to because I can get so much more for the same amount of cash, but I fear I'll drop a load of cash something sight-unseen and be disappointed in the result. All I have are grades and the occasional picture, but at the same time I'm not sure I can justify paying premium prices in a store.

I recently(Dec) ordered a ring from JohnnyRnR on here and had a great experience. He was very helpful answering what I'm sure was an annoying amount of questions. Was always responsive via email quickly, and almost always responsive via aim. This picture is just a cellphone pic but here it is anyways!

The ring was actually more impressive to look at than I thought it would be and I was very excited when I got it. It came in the very secure packaging, the box/ringbox were nice. I felt the price was reasonable, especially considering the excellent level of service received. The price for the stone was comparable to bluenile prices for similar size/specs. I ended up happy with the purchase. Thought I'd throw in my experience of buying jewelry online via goon!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

JohnnyRnR posted:

What's the story on that?

I'm honestly not sure. The jeweler that I spoke to was their gemologist and she showed me that one and said for some reason it came it graded as SI1, but she said she would have graded it VS1. They were selling it priced for how it came in though just because that was what it was marked as. She wasn't pitchy about it and only said it for that one particular diamond out of probably the 20 that she showed me, so she seemed honest about it. I just got the appraisal back a few days ago from another company and it came back with a VS1 grade so I'm not sure why it came in wrong, but I'll take the deal nonetheless. I'm not really saying this is a reason to buy from a local jeweler, more of just this is how I lucked out. The setting was definitely quite a bit cheaper through them though. I think that was likely because it's a fairly modern setting and not that many companies have one like it. It's sort of a curved tension mount with a small base beneath the stone that it's visible from the top for some added security.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Re: David's Bridal/bridesmaid dress talk: my girls bough their dress off Modcloth, we found one everyone loved (which was very easy) and read the reviews carefully. Sometimes modcloth can run a bit smaller with their stuff so it's best to buy bigger considering the dresses are typically inexpensive making it less of a hassle to be taken in. The bridesmaid dresses were 60, which was perfect because we are all either grad students or recent graduates so taking dress price into consideration for them was a huge thing for me. I also found the cutest dress for rehearsal dinner on modcloth :3:
I got my wedding dress for 100 at a local bridal boutique, I'm positive it was meant to be because it fits perfectly and is so so my style.

Mongoloid Joe posted:

I wanted to know what is the protocol for wedding party dates? If everyone in the wedding party has a significant other or date or something, is their date allowed to bring a date?
Maybe put all the dates at one table? Or maybe have a table with your parents/in laws while the wedding party sits elsewhere?

My own question: who do I, as the bride, but gifts for? My parents, his parents and him? I was mostly considering my own parents.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 20, 2013

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I'm letting my bridesmaids pick what they want to wear, I'm terrible at finding dresses to suit body types other than my own so I kept sending them dresses they said they'd look awful in by accident. I don't really care what style of dress they wear so long as it's the color I picked out, so they've got quite a bit of freedom. If they all can't agree on one then I'm amenable to letting them each pick a different style in the same color. The Modcloth idea is a good one, I might look on there and see if they've got anything they might like.

Got the guest list finalized! :toot: I called the reception venue today with a couple questions, and they said they made a mistake of telling me I could only have 140 guests and I can actually have 160. No more Guest List Survivor! :dance:

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Got the guest list finalized! :toot: I called the reception venue today with a couple questions, and they said they made a mistake of telling me I could only have 140 guests and I can actually have 160. No more Guest List Survivor! :dance:

We did guest list survivor and then had WAY more than the average 20% bow out. It was a bummer because I would have invited more friends to my wedding.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

We're expecting a lot of people to not come since our friends and family are spread out everywhere and lots are in the military and won't have leave.

Then again, I expected most of my coworkers to be like "no, sorry, too far" but now they seem to be planning an office DC vacation around my wedding :shrug: The more the merrier.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

DaveSauce posted:

Also, what's everyone's experience with jewelry stores? The only advice I've ever received is to avoid mall stores, and that's all I can really find so far around the Twin Cities without heading to the ritzy parts of town. Are there any chains that are decent, or should I try to find a small independent place? I'm mostly concerned about the service aspect of it, with warranties, re-sizing, and the like. Is it even worth trying to find a local place, or should I just buy online and trust that grades and measurements will supply me with a good stone and use the savings to purchase service locally?

I'm in the process of ring-shopping with my girlfriend (I initially planned on surprising her with a ring, but that went out the window when I found out she prefers multi-stone settings with less-common cuts of diamonds) and we've mostly hit up a smaller family-owned chain that has 3 or 4 locations around the Chicago area. We're having a good experience there, but I'm thinking of checking out a smaller shop in the suburbs that a few people have recommended to me. There's plenty of well-reviewed independent jewelers tucked away in the suburbs here. Unfortunately I know very little about the Twin Cities area, but I'm sure there's some nice reputable places around if you search Yelp or something. It also doesn't hurt to ask family members and friends. There's a lot of things I've learned in this process, including the fact that pretty much anyone over the age of 30 has a recommendation for a jeweler.

Edit: also, regarding your fears about online jewelers--any reputable jeweler (online or brick-and-mortar) should offer a return policy if you are not satisfied with your purchase. Though this often doesn't apply to customized orders, so beware on that front.

Schlitzkrieg Bop fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 21, 2013

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

I've been browsing this thread for a while and the tips/links/comments are so helpful that when my fiance proposed in December I felt like we could hit the ground running with planning. This thread is an awesome resource!

That being said, I am looking for advice on two different issues.

The first is pretty simple- what's the best way to keep a gold and diamond ring clean? I don't sleep with my engagement ring on and try to remove it every time I anticipate my hands getting covered in something (doing dishes, cleaning, cooking, even washing my hands), but I just want to make sure that I'm taking care of it well. I previously had a small gold ring with white diamonds that I never took off and the diamonds ended up getting cloudy. Anyone have some tips for ring care?

The second is a bit more complicated. My fiance and I moved less than a year ago to a new city, but plan to be married in the city we met in. We have a large social network in our former city but unfortunately we could not afford to invite everyone in this network to our wedding. We would like to have an engagement party in this city as well. My question is: is it gauche to invite our friends, many of whom we haven't seen since we moved and whom we won't see any time soon, to the engagement party if we can't afford for them to come to the wedding? I don't want my excitement to see everyone come across as being rude. If it matters at all, our engagement is planned to be somewhat long so we wouldn't even be getting married until a full year after our party.

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

The most epic adventure ever undertaken
Congrats!

re: #2:
Obviously, the answer is do want you think will work the best, but be advised that "etiquette" (that I learned) is that you don't invite someone to the engagement party that you don't invite to the wedding.

My cousin invited my finance to her engagement party, so I assumed he'd be invited to the wedding. But when I got the wedding invite, his name wasn't on it, so I was confused and wondered if it was an oversight. But, nope, she didn't invite him, and I thought that was weird.

So I would caution you that there's a chance that people who are interested in weddings will believe they're coming to the wedding if they're coming to the engagement party, and be disappointed later when they don't get an invite.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Ugh, I've just dived back into wedding planning after a 3-month long hiatus (my mom died :() and I only have 3 months left to figure a LOT of stuff out. Wedding planning isn't fun anymore, I wish someone would just do it all for me and then all I have to do is show up.

I figured I'd start getting back into the game by reading up on the WeddingBee forums and I ran into this trash thread about some girl asking "WTF is wrong with" her extended family for declining her invite (with plenty of notice for reasons like "I'm 10 years old and I have a competition that day" and "I'm too elderly to travel") and everyone was coddling her. Including the lovely nugget of advice that you should only decline a wedding "if you are dying, attending a funeral, or are dirt poor (but then again you've had a year to save up for it)". The thread was deleted by the OP for some reason, but I was seriously blown away that brides can be so entitled. Roundabout way of asking, but does anyone read any other wedding boards regularly? I've found The Knot to be catty, and I like SA's thread here, but it doesn't move as fast as a full forum.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

The Knot's board is even slower than this thread. If I have a specific question I either ask this thread or Google it and take whatever answer I find with a large grain of salt. Between SA, Google, and other engaged friends I have I haven't felt completely lost about much.

For people who haven't ordered invites yet-- I just discovered that the post office charges extra postage for square envelopes and long skinny rectangles. Might be something to keep in mind.

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.

drat Bananas posted:

Ugh, I've just dived back into wedding planning after a 3-month long hiatus (my mom died :() and I only have 3 months left to figure a LOT of stuff out. Wedding planning isn't fun anymore, I wish someone would just do it all for me and then all I have to do is show up.

I figured I'd start getting back into the game by reading up on the WeddingBee forums and I ran into this trash thread about some girl asking "WTF is wrong with" her extended family for declining her invite (with plenty of notice for reasons like "I'm 10 years old and I have a competition that day" and "I'm too elderly to travel") and everyone was coddling her. Including the lovely nugget of advice that you should only decline a wedding "if you are dying, attending a funeral, or are dirt poor (but then again you've had a year to save up for it)". The thread was deleted by the OP for some reason, but I was seriously blown away that brides can be so entitled. Roundabout way of asking, but does anyone read any other wedding boards regularly? I've found The Knot to be catty, and I like SA's thread here, but it doesn't move as fast as a full forum.

I was reading that thread this morning too. A lot of the replies were totally crazy, but there were also a lot of reasonable ones ("you shouldn't be angry about this, obviously a cancer diagnosis is a good reason to stay home"). The WeddingBee is really interesting peek into the void of bride brain, sometimes I read the threads aloud to my fiance. My favorite ones are always like, "I'm DEVASTATED and have been crying for the past 3 days because my invitation color is the wrong shade of green!!!! My wedding is RUINED!!!"

Good luck with the wedding planning. Given your circumstances, it might be a good idea to either hire a coordinator, ask a wedding-crazy friend to help out, or downscale so that you have less to plan. If it's at all possible, I think you should try to keep as much joy in the process as possible.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I just checked out WeddingBee because I like to amuse myself by reading how bent out of shape people get over minor problems.

What I find incredibly bizarre is people who still post on wedding message boards years after they get married. Shouldn't you stop reading those sites obsessively once you're married? I get imparting advice when you've recently been through all of it, but I just clicked on a thread where the OP was married in 2008. Let it go.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I got married in 08 and I'm still reading this thread, lol.

melaneyelia
Apr 4, 2006

put on your adventure helmet, it's time for an adventure!
I, like several others in this thread, read Off Beat Bride, which has its good and bads. If you join the BrideTribe (no need to be a bride or a chick or whatever, they're actually pretty cool about that stuff) you can get access to the forums (super slow) and journal entries (much faster). I personally love the vibe on it, but that's perhaps because I'm taking a different approach than most people about getting wedding-ed. I find that responses on just about anything will range from reasonable to rational, with the occasional "Why are you joking about having a combo Star Wars/Zombie/Dragon/Dinosaurs themed wedding? That's exactly what I'm planning and it is NO JOKE."

my darling feet
May 9, 2007
are truly captivating
I can't take Off Beat Bride seriously because there was a wedding featured way back when where the girl and her groom where running around in a graveyard with actors dressed like zombies. If I was there, mourning or remembering a family member, and you were horse neighing at my grandfather's headstone, I'd knock you out so all of your wedding photos after featured a black eye and gaped out teeth.

I understand having a personal touch wedding, but at what point do you just do a JoP and have a Halloween party a few weeks after instead of that. Or insist all of your guests come in costume for your Princess Bride wedding?

My other engaged friend and I have been calling ourselves Knot the Offbeat Brides for the reason that we don't fit into catty hags who were married five years ago and have five digit post scores, and someone who never had enough attention, but now needs to have Storm Troopers walk them through a crowded football field on their way to a Tardis officiant.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Totally agree about the graveyard comment, that's extremely disrespectful.

Pinterest is my wedding haven.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Gravitee posted:

I got married in 08 and I'm still reading this thread, lol.

There's a difference between visiting a wedding thread on a non-wedding website vs specifically going to sites like weddingbee and theknot well past your wedding :)

I refuse to go to OffBeatBride. Every suggestion they have on there seems to be something I'd look back on in 10 years and cringe. Sifting through the "lolmonkeycheese random" suggestions to find helpful ones isn't worth the time for me.

In other news it looks like my wedding will either be postponed to 2015 or just be a quickie courthouse deal with a fancy vow renewal later. drat military.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

There's a difference between visiting a wedding thread on a non-wedding website vs specifically going to sites like weddingbee and theknot well past your wedding :)

I refuse to go to OffBeatBride. Every suggestion they have on there seems to be something I'd look back on in 10 years and cringe. Sifting through the "lolmonkeycheese random" suggestions to find helpful ones isn't worth the time for me.

In other news it looks like my wedding will either be postponed to 2015 or just be a quickie courthouse deal with a fancy vow renewal later. drat military.

There's nothing weird about following wedding threads regularly for years and years even if you're neither married nor engaged right? Right??

At least since I've been a mod I can pretend I monitor this thread because y'all are troublemakers like the baby threads. :ninja:

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!

Eggplant Wizard posted:

There's nothing weird about following wedding threads regularly for years and years even if you're neither married nor engaged right? Right??

At least since I've been a mod I can pretend I monitor this thread because y'all are troublemakers like the baby threads. :ninja:

Nothing weird at all! No worse than lurking the pregnancy thread years in advance of actually trying :ninja:

In other news we're folding 1000+ (1500ish if we use up all the paper we have) origami paper cranes to hang for our wedding (traditionally known as senbazuru, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousand_origami_cranes). Partly because this keeps me from obssessing over wedding minutiae in the evenings and has so far saved me from spending any more on ebay ribbons for decorations (obssession with which I can only blame pinterest for). You can get a whole set of papers in all the colours of the rainbow for reasonable prices, which is handy for our rainbow-esque, no-colour-left-behind colour theme.

And speaking of origami, I might just wear one or some of these (http://www.etsy.com/listing/85452198/butterfly-hair-clip-silk-gift-for-her) silk origami butterflies in my hair on the day...the iridescent silk options are beautiful. She does three different sizes, people use them as boutonnieres, cake decorations, hair clips. The lady who runs the shop wrote me back really quickly and offered a ton of help too. Amazing customer service. She's based in San Francisco and sends out silk samples for free (even offered to send me some for no charge, all the way in Australia). I've seen a picture of the butterfly mounted on a wall hanging board/frame too which is a nice touch...would make a lovely after-wedding memento. Much more practical than my brief interest in a peacock feather fascinator. I'm going to fold tiny paper origami butterflies to stick on our invites too, just because I can.

Any of you guys do much customization of a civil ceremony? Our wedding is going to happen in a park in my hometown with a civil celebrant, and she sent us a bunch of various texts that she's used in conducting a ceremony and none of them are particularly gripping for us. I'm leaning towards having her re-write a great deal of it. Anyone got any interesting readings or quotes around partnerships/relationships/marriage that aren't your usual romantic comedy movie style of sugary happy?

EvilGummy
Dec 31, 2011

Purely sucralose

Planning a wedding in SoCal is blowing my mind.

I've gone over a hojillion venues, and I'm having trouble narrowing it down to anything 'reasonable' as it were. I found two places that seem potentially affordable, The Hurst Ranch and the Tennessee Gardens. Both still are tipping along the road towards 7k after food and tables and DJ and all that.

I'd like to do this thing under 10k, dress and cake and all, but oooof. We talked about doing it, maybe, in March next year, but I'm going to eye the weather this coming month to try and predict how it would feel to do an outdoor ceremony/reception that time of year. (I know, it's Cali, when the sun is on it is fine but I want an evening wedding and you never know!)

I'm excited, but overwhelmed. x.x

Anyone know of any venues in SoCal that you'd recommend, ones that might run me less than 3-4k just for the rental of time? And that I can do a ceremony outside at too?

ALSO, anyone ever have a grain-free cake made? I have celiacs, and I am torn on getting a full cake made, or just a small one and regular cupcakes for everyone else, OR a cake that has a small top layer that's safe for me, and the rest can be whatever for the guests.

My fiance (I love saying that!) and I were making a rough list for guests, and if we don't do any chopping we're sitting around 150 people. It'll probably be less than that, but we'll have to see.

I'm SO EXCITED and so TERRIFIED. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ugh, I thought I was done with the wedding since it was nearly 4 months ago, but I guess not.

Apparently everyone on my side of the family is bugging my mom and dad (but nobody from the wife's side of the family is making a peep) that we never sent out thank you notes. And we didn't. Hand writing a note is just basically not going to happen, so is there anything else I can other than telling my family to stuff it?