Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

...you are, of course, sure they were referring to fruit and vegetable juices for their, *ahem*, juicin'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I picked up a "Breast of Veal" for pretty cheap ($1.68 a lb!) and I don't really know what to do with it. I guess it's a section of the ribs with a flap of meat over them cause pretty much all the recipes online are for various stuffed breasts of veal, unfortunately, I'm pretty short on things to put inside it and was just going to make a pasta side to go with it.
Anyone know a good crock-pot recipe I can use to cook this thing?

Marcella says to pan roast breast of veal:

Brown the veal in oil with a few cloves of garlic and sprigs of rosemary (watch your aromatics to ensure they don't burn), deglaze the pan with about 2/3 cup of white wine,season to taste with salt and black pepper, then braise the roast in a partially covered dutch oven (or crock pot) until tender. Remove the roast, make a pan sauce (or just deglaze with a little water) from the drippings,pour over the roast, and serve.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Wilhemina posted:

The latest craze at work is juice fasting, (or juicin' as they tell it). I am skeptical of its benefits, but it's amazing how these folks get into making sludge for breakfast/lunch/dinner. Debating on whether to cut caffeine or not (coffee bad, tea good?), what vegetables/fruits are good or not, or even the definition of eating plants. ("I never had a beet before, those things are whack", "kale is easy to blend in powder form", "is bouillon ok?", "I guess ginger is a vegetable...") It sounds like we'd fit right in with an office sitcom.

Aside from all the noise, I like the idea of bringing homemade V8 to have at work during the day. What are some fantastic things I could make? I enjoy buying random vegetables at the store for variety at home, so any unusual ingredients would be fun to include.
Some teas have more caffeine than coffee, actually. Coffee's also pretty harmless(And has health benefits like preventing Parkinsin's,) so unless you're worried about the calories and sugars in what you add to it I don't see why someone would bother cutting it out of their diet unless it actually makes them jittery. The logic behind people saying coffee is bad for you is generally either misconception, or more realistically it's because of the sheer volume some people (Namely the people who order the 20 ounce cups from like Starbuck's or McDonald's or whatever) can drink at once.

edit: This is how I'm picturing your coworkers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5LUKEulsno

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 23, 2013

Wilhemina
Jun 21, 2011

@ Sjurygg: It's all fruits and veggies, but that's their program title for it. :shobon:

The video is what it sounds like when they're trying to multi-task fasting with deadlines. Some are split on whether they're doing this for weight loss or detox, and some want to do both and that's where giving up caffeine gets brought up. They want to do whatever they can to emulate the scenario from the Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead documentary, without even looking into how digestion or nutrition really works.

Luckily the drinks they've been making have looked chunky enough that they're getting partially fed as they go. It just looks gross, and they say it tastes gross or bland. It's mostly guys participating and they sometimes sound like it's more macho to just puree the whole crisper drawer at once.

I decided to try something simple with my blender just now. A carrot, a parsnip, a couple sticks of celery, a chunk of pineapple, and a bit of ginger. I grated it up, then threw in the blender with some orange juice for extra liquid. I think I might try it with a juicer next to get it less pulpy, but the taste is very nice and it's a bright pretty orange. :) I think I'd just like to try making this stuff because it's tasty and easy to put in a thermos.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Clavietika posted:

The logic behind people saying coffee is bad for you is generally either misconception, or more realistically it's because of the sheer volume some people (Namely the people who order the 20 ounce cups from like Starbuck's or McDonald's or whatever) can drink at once.
In that case, the major health issue is they're drinking three tablespoons of sugar and a cup of heavy cream with their coffee.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

bartolimu posted:

In that case, the major health issue is they're drinking three tablespoons of sugar and a cup of heavy cream with their coffee.
Right! Also, people who aren't used to that much caffeine can get jittery or anxious, but these people have their 20 ounces a cup so I don't think it affects them generally.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Wasn't exactly sure what forum to post this in. Lemme know if this'd be better asked somewhere else.

I'm trying to make my own soda syrups. The only real problem I've hit is dissolving powders completely into water. To make 1L of soda, I need about 500mg of aspartame and 90mg of caffeine; I have a milligram scale so measuring out those weights isn't an issue. However, when I add the aspartame (I haven't tried adding caffeine yet) to my carbonated water, often it'll clump up and float around in the water.

I guess the solution to this is to make a solution (haha). Looking up the water solubility of aspartame puts it between 13.5mg/mL and 20mg/mL depending on pH at 25C. I figure I'd be safe making a 10mg/ML solution with lukewarm water. Caffeine is listed at 2g/100mL, so 20mg/mL; I figure a 15mg/mL solution would be good. (I'm being conservative to err on the side of more completely dissolved in case I'm off in my measurements when making the solutions.)

My questions: how do I make sure I'm making solutions that won't separate? If I shake the hell out of them, but then refrigerate it for a week, will it separate? Also, how should I store them? Basically my nightmare scenario is I make a 100mL batch of caffeine solution (so 1500mg of caffeine), then try to make a liter of soda with 90mg of caffeine, so I measure out 6mL with an oral syringe, but the solution has separated while it was stored and I end up dosing myself with like 800mg of caffeine.
Also, when I make the solution, do I combine my desired weight of powder with the desired volume of water (so 1500mg of caffeine + 100mL water, resulting in an overall volume of solution greater than 100mL) or do I weigh out the powder and then add water to that container until I reach the desired volume (so that the volume of the powder plus the volume of the water equals 100mL exactly)

This is obviously a solvable problem since beverage makers sell gallons of caffeinated syrup to restaurants, and companies like SodaStream sell caffeinated beverage mixes.

Angstronaut
Apr 26, 2005

is there no shame?
What are acceptable noodles for a sukiyaki hotpot? I went to the small asian food store unsure of what I was looking for. Bought some that say "sukiyaki" on them and they're made of potato/arrowroot starches. Would rice/bean vermicelli be okay? Or soba noodles? Google says many contradictory things.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Use whatever you want. I usually buy udon and the yellow ramen noodles, because that's what I like. GoWithChrist likes Shirataki noodles, and those are a pretty traditional choice... just make sure you can handle the fiber load.

I like to use the Udon at the end, to soak up the last of the thickened broth.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
So as a recent returner to the cooking and eating of meat, I have a question on chicken preparation. For my whole life I've always rinsed off raw chicken, but recently read its actually strongly recommended that you don't do this. Instead the USDA says to just make sure it's cooked to temp (which I always do). This blew my mind as I'd never even thought about not rinsing it off before.

Does this apply to all fresh raw chicken? I just picked up a small whole fryer on sale from Whole Foods that was packaged in a plastic wrap. It smelled just fine when opened. Are these fine to just start cooking with after you pat it dry and remove the bag of guts or should I have rinsed it as we'll? Sorry for the potentially dumb question, there is just a ton of conflicting advice on the web in general, and I don't feel like dying this weekend.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Yeah, hot pot is pretty varying, use what you like. I prefer glass noodles/tapioca starch noodles and other clear noodles for the chewiness, which sounds like the sort of noodle you bought. A wheat noodle at the end to absorb the broth is good too, so you could do both!

Iron Lung, there is no need to rinse unless there are feather bits or maybe toward the end of the chicken's fridge life if it might feel a tad slimy but the chicken has not quite turned. So basically only need to rinse if there is something physically on the chicken you want to rinse away. Rinsing will not kill any bacteria so if you are cooking your chicken properly it will be killed off by heat. The argument against rinsing is that you might just be spreading bacteria around your sink by splashing it around and increasing your chances of cross contamination that way.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Any ideas for use of miso paste? I bought a small tub to use for noodle soup, but what are some more creative uses?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

madkapitolist posted:

Any ideas for use of miso paste? I bought a small tub to use for noodle soup, but what are some more creative uses?

Miso, garlic, a little mirin and soy sauce, rub it onto meat, grill.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I love it on toast.

Traverse
Oct 13, 2012

I recently came back from a trip with about three bags of grits, and I'm looking for some ideas on what to serve it with (because wow, three bags, what was I even thinking?) I've already got a pretty good recipe for shrimp 'n grits and cheesy grits, but I'd really like to branch out a bit. Any suggestions?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Shrimp n' cheesy grits.

Wilhemina
Jun 21, 2011

I spent some time reading up on the :science: of how the liver works. I had a hunch, and the human body is pretty good at taking out its own garbage.

I'd still like to learn how to make tasty juice though. Maybe I'll take a trip to the vegan thread for flavor combos. :allears:

Traverse
Oct 13, 2012

Doom Rooster posted:

Shrimp n' cheesy grits.

... Wow, I can't believe I didn't think of this.

Any other ideas in that brilliant brain of yours, since mine is clearly lacking?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

madkapitolist posted:

Miso grilled aubergine. So good. Miso mushroom hotpot.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Hollis posted:

Is it possible to flavor risotto with Jambalaya seasoning, then when it's done add smoked Andouille Sausage and Smoked Duck? I was going to use duck fat for the initial coating of the risotto. I've only made risotto once before. I was just thinking in my head that I could do it.

It sounds like what you really want to make is cassoulet!

If not, id do a duck risotto w shiitake mushroom and duck stock, then put an arugula salad with acidic dressing, julienned celeriac and shaved smoked duck on top

Dakana: what is your goal? Replication of commercial soda for the hell of it? Price? Nutrition? Seems like you could go a few ways on that project, direction would help replies. I have no practical experience, but have you tried making your solution before carbonating it? Or making a separate syrup with everything but the carbonation and the water like commercial sodas do?

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 24, 2013

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

tarepanda posted:

Miso, garlic, a little mirin and soy sauce, rub it onto meat, grill.

Miso, honey, light soy, sesame seed, baste onto salmon and grill or bake.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
When making a reduction how long do you reduce to make it more syrupy?

There was a nice recipe I can now no longer find on the wiki where you blanched asparagus, wrapped bacon around a roasted while reducing red wine and balsamic. I've done this a few times with only a little bit of wine and vinegar (Everyone else thinks it's too strong) for me. It reduces but never gets syrupy. Do I just need to let it go longer?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Wilhemina posted:

I spent some time reading up on the :science: of how the liver works. I had a hunch, and the human body is pretty good at taking out its own garbage.

I'd still like to learn how to make tasty juice though. Maybe I'll take a trip to the vegan thread for flavor combos. :allears:

Celery, apple, collard greens, ginger, lemon
Carrot, beet. The colour on this one is amazing.
Orange, carrot, ginger
Kale, tiny bit of fennel bulb, apple
Orange, lemon, beet
Celery, cucumber, dill

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Traverse posted:

... Wow, I can't believe I didn't think of this.

Any other ideas in that brilliant brain of yours, since mine is clearly lacking?

Sorry for the snarky reply. Honestly, having grown up in the south, those were literally the two things that I ever saw grits really get used for besides just "plain with butter". They aren't so much an ingredient as they are just, a dish, which is delicious. Recently some places have been doing some more interesting things with them, but it is all just new flavor combinations, not putting them into other dishes. My favorite that I have tried recently has actually been maple chipotle grits, which were pretty amazing.

Seriously, just make grits, and add stuff that you think that you would like to them after they are cooked. You usually want at least one really distinct, strong flavor that will come through past the creaminess of the grits.

Edit: I just remembered, my mom used to make an amazing grits casserole when I was young that was:

Batch of grits (cooled)
Garlic powder
Crumbled Bacon
Grated sharp cheddar
Roasted green chilies
Sour cream

Stirred together, a couple of pats of butter on the top, then baked until the top started browing.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 24, 2013

Wilhemina
Jun 21, 2011

dino. posted:

Celery, apple, collard greens, ginger, lemon
Carrot, beet. The colour on this one is amazing.
Orange, carrot, ginger
Kale, tiny bit of fennel bulb, apple
Orange, lemon, beet
Celery, cucumber, dill

Thank you! :dance:

Fennel sounds great, I'm a big licorice fan.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

syntaxfunction posted:

When making a reduction how long do you reduce to make it more syrupy?

Reducing something is just cooking/evaporating water out of it, if its too watery keep going

Traverse
Oct 13, 2012

Doom Rooster posted:

Sorry for the snarky reply. Honestly, having grown up in the south, those were literally the two things that I ever saw grits really get used for besides just "plain with butter". They aren't so much an ingredient as they are just, a dish, which is delicious. Recently some places have been doing some more interesting things with them, but it is all just new flavor combinations, not putting them into other dishes. My favorite that I have tried recently has actually been maple chipotle grits, which were pretty amazing.

Seriously, just make grits, and add stuff that you think that you would like to them after they are cooked. You usually want at least one really distinct, strong flavor that will come through past the creaminess of the grits.

Edit: I just remembered, my mom used to make an amazing grits casserole when I was young that was:

Batch of grits (cooled)
Garlic powder
Crumbled Bacon
Grated sharp cheddar
Roasted green chilies
Sour cream

Stirred together, a couple of pats of butter on the top, then baked until the top started browing.

I was being sincere up there, actually. I honestly didn't think of combining the two, which says a lot about me. I'm going to give both the suggestions a shot later! Thanks for the ideas!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Hey I want to make Julia Child's beef bourguignon. I watched the show where she makes it all and she seems to use a huge amount of pans to do the browning, sauteing etc in. I just got a 6qt enamaled cast iron dutch oven. Could I possible just brown the meat in that and deglaze all in there? I think I still have to saute the mushrooms in a separate pan.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm looking for a kickin' rad burger recipe. The other one's I've tried don't have a whole lot of flavour to them. Any suggestions?

\/:hfive:

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 24, 2013

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

melon cat posted:

I'm looking for a kickin' rad burger recipe. The other one's I've tried don't have a whole lot of flavour to them. Any suggestions?

Always smash a burg

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Is there any more common kitchen tool that makes a decent makeshift lemon reamer? I don't have a proper one on hand. Maybe the blunt end of a wooden spoon?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

melon cat posted:

\/:hfive:

1 Egg
1 bottle worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 yellow onion
1 Tbps Ketchup
1 Tsp Canola Oil

Start off by putting all of that poo poo back in the pantry/fridge. Get beef that is 20-25% fat. Manhandle as little as possible when making patties. Add more salt on the outside than you think is necessary. Cook to medium. enjoy the best burger in the world.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Iron Lung posted:

So as a recent returner to the cooking and eating of meat, I have a question on chicken preparation. For my whole life I've always rinsed off raw chicken, but recently read its actually strongly recommended that you don't do this. Instead the USDA says to just make sure it's cooked to temp (which I always do). This blew my mind as I'd never even thought about not rinsing it off before.

Does this apply to all fresh raw chicken? I just picked up a small whole fryer on sale from Whole Foods that was packaged in a plastic wrap. It smelled just fine when opened. Are these fine to just start cooking with after you pat it dry and remove the bag of guts or should I have rinsed it as we'll? Sorry for the potentially dumb question, there is just a ton of conflicting advice on the web in general, and I don't feel like dying this weekend.

I've never rinsed off chicken before cooking it. You should be fine foregoing that step.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Doh004 posted:

Hey I want to make Julia Child's beef bourguignon. I watched the show where she makes it all and she seems to use a huge amount of pans to do the browning, sauteing etc in. I just got a 6qt enamaled cast iron dutch oven. Could I possible just brown the meat in that and deglaze all in there? I think I still have to saute the mushrooms in a separate pan.

That's what I do - I am not a fan of excessive utensil use when I don't have a backstage crew to do the washing-up.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Does anyone have a bitching soft pretzel recipe?

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

tarepanda posted:

Does anyone have a bitching soft pretzel recipe?
I've made soft pretzels a few times and they were fairly well received. I used this dough (with half bread flour) and instead of their baking-soda-water instructions used Alton Brown's boiling instructions instead. The KAF recipe also has you brush on a huge quantity of butter after baking; I used maybe a third of what they recommended and still found them sort of greasy so I'd consider that optional.

Cuddlebottom fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 25, 2013

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bake some soda and use that in your dough dip instead. Makes for a far better crust.

The AB link isn't working on my phone, so if he says that, just ignore me.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 25, 2013

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Is the pickling and canning thread still around? I really dig fermented and preserved food, especially Asian kinds, and want to get into making them myself. I don't know anything about canning. Is it easy? Do I need a lot to start up?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Shnooks posted:

Is the pickling and canning thread still around? I really dig fermented and preserved food, especially Asian kinds, and want to get into making them myself. I don't know anything about canning. Is it easy? Do I need a lot to start up?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437802

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I want to make some minestrone soup and freeze the leftovers. Are noodles okay to freeze? The recipe says to only add noodles to what I'm eating/reheating because they'll break up when I thaw them.