Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

sellouts posted:

Positives are:
Pleads' rage against the Quebecois would be incredible
I only hate them online (and everywhere else!)

sellouts posted:

Negatives are:
I dunno how we'd have better accommodations than LP, we'd probably have to hotel it, which sucks. The house was awesome and a big part of it. Hotel rooms would suck in comparison.
*cough*
http://www.vrbo.com/search?q=montreal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
It'll be around the same price for me anyway, except I'll potentially have less visa issues with Canada (I really doubt I'd have any issues with US either) :haw:

Also, poutine. I just got to try it.

When is the Montreal tournament?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah, just worried a bit about the liability with more people staying there. We did awesome this time (despite 10 bottles of beer freefalling from the fridge onto the wood floor).

Also I don't see many places that hold that many more. The LP place was bigger than pretty much everything listed, no?

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

sellouts posted:

Yeah, just worried a bit about the liability with more people staying there. We did awesome this time (despite 10 bottles of beer freefalling from the fridge onto the wood floor).

Also I don't see many places that hold that many more. The LP place was bigger than pretty much everything listed, no?

It's CANADA!
They don't care about liability! They have an insurance industry that kind off work.

And you were trying to get noted drunk THE MACHO MAN and bitch tits Flutethecat to come be your cheerleaders and LP, and that have been three people extra.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Anders posted:

Weren't you an athlete at the national level? Or was that land hockey?

That was outdoor hockey. I have played ice since I was 12 though albeit with a 8 year break until recently.

PS would be down for a bit of international tournament action. One of the teams I play for is going over to Paris at Easter for one which I'm gutted to be missing out on.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

This hockey vacation stuff sounds awesome if I had the money.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

loving bro hug posted:

Is that at Extreme? I've yet to do a pickup game so I haven't encountered the crazy lady.

A little late on this but yea this was at Extreme. I finally got on the list for the Sat pickup at Pineville last night and she was there too. It was a good skate though. Many more lower skill players so I focused on Forward which was fun. One shift guarding the point the D man decided to shoot the puck right into my solar plexus, keeled me over, but it only knocked my wind out slightly, then I got pissed and finished the shift. I have a nasty bruise growing there now.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Sending one in high from the point at drop-in should be something that gets you pretty well ostracized. Sadly, it isn't.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Dangerllama posted:

Sending one in high from the point at drop-in should be something that gets you pretty well ostracized. Sadly, it isn't.

Depending on where you play it does. Most of the time the guy is berated off the ice at the better open skates up here in MN if they are sending high and hard shots from the point.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

D C posted:

3/4-5/8 goalie
5/8 figure skaters
1/2 - 7/16 players
3/8 - players with really sharp skates
"AS SHARP AS THE MACHINE GOES" the moron kid who wanted me (and me only) to sharpen his skates twice a week

Wait a minute D C...

:laugh:

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
Don't suppose anyone has that link to the where you play / league poll that is probably 70 pages back? Moving to Houston soon. Any goons play at the sugarland ice arena?

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

lizardking posted:

Don't suppose anyone has that link to the where you play / league poll that is probably 70 pages back? Moving to Houston soon. Any goons play at the sugarland ice arena?

Input page
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDJsWnlTUG5xM2trTmtFai1DQ1pHN1E6MQ

and results page
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiScXmeJDaOidDJsWnlTUG5xM2trTmtFai1DQ1pHN1E

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

Thanks. Going to save these this time.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Yea I think if it didn't hit me it would have been shoulder/head high at the net, it was just a lil wrister though. Later a guy took a slapper 2 feet away from the defender and hit him in the skate. He was not happy and gave to the guy the next 2 shifts including a full check. Come to think of it I wonder if it was the same guy.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

It might be nice to put this in the OP.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

D C posted:

3/4-5/8 goalie
5/8 figure skaters
1/2 - 7/16 players
3/8 - players with really sharp skates
"AS SHARP AS THE MACHINE GOES" the moron kid who wanted me (and me only) to sharpen his skates twice a week

Goalie skates are 5/8" - 1/4" with 1/2" being really common now. Old school guys will use 1" - 3/4", but that doesn't really work modern styles of goaltending.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I conveniently only brought one skate yesterday for a reffing assignment. Good thing it was just a Mite game and I could keep up on the rental skates but ohhhh gently caress it hurt. Blaming the tools indeed. I could barely skate on those!!

edit: I would play on a sasgoons hockey team except I'm poor as poo poo and have no time and it will basically be that way for the foreseeable future

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Better start reffing more Bronze league imo

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Come be my cats vet for real, I'm pretty sure given LA prices you'd pay for the tournament in two office visits.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Scored 7 seconds into the 2nd period last night. Center knocked the puck between their wing and D-man on my side. I scooped it up, deked the D-man on my side, took 1 stride over the blue line and used the last D-man to screen the goalie. Ripped it top shelf glove side, nothing but net.

I'm not sure if there are too many things that are better than lasering a wrister top shelf from the blue line. While wearing pink stick tape numbers too. It was definitely one of my favorite goals of the season.

schzim
May 24, 2006
tl;dr
God I need to take better care to wipe down my skates. Noticed quite a bit of rust on my blades today. Whoops. Took them into the shop immediately, hopefully they didn't get pitted or otherwise hosed up by my laziness.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When I get home my skates go right next to one of the central heating vents so they get dry super quick.

Blades are nice and clean, except a faint brownish tinge near the toe and heel where the guy who last sharpened them got a little overzealous. :argh:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I always make sure to take extra time wiping my skates down with a towell. If the facilities have a hand dryer, a few seconds make them perfect. Then I just open my bag and let my gear dry. Mostly just shins skates and gloves.

shdwdmg
May 16, 2008
Finally was able to get some skates!! Local Pro Shop had a end of season sale and was able to pick up some Vaporx3.0's at a great rate.

However, I think the kid who sharpened them did a terrible job. Ideally how can I check the quality of this? This is coming from someone who hasn't had their own pair of skates since like 1992, and has been using rentals for the last year.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why do you think he did a terrible job?

shdwdmg
May 16, 2008

sellouts posted:

Why do you think he did a terrible job?

It's just a funny feeling, there seems to be almost no bite when I try anything, shaving the ice or trying to do a basic snow plow stop.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Hold a skate up so the blade is running away from you at eye level and inspect the hollow. Is there one? Is it deep?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

scrape the back of your fingernail with it lightly, is it cutting much?

Or just have them run it again, with new skates it is much more time consuming than a normal sharpening so it's possible that he didn't do it right.

shdwdmg
May 16, 2008

sellouts posted:

scrape the back of your fingernail with it lightly, is it cutting much?

Or just have them run it again, with new skates it is much more time consuming than a normal sharpening so it's possible that he didn't do it right.

No real noticeable cutting. I will just have them sharpened before I hit the ice next.

schzim
May 24, 2006
tl;dr
How many passes does your current team typically make between gaining the puck in the defensive zone and taking the offensive zone/dumping it in.

My team has 0 way way too often. I hate our D men carrying it into the offensive zone and us bunching up at the offensive blue line, yet it occurs all the time. Sigh.
If I could just get us in the habit of the D man thinking about dumping it when he crosses the redline I'd be happy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

schzim posted:

How many passes does your current team typically make between gaining the puck in the defensive zone and taking the offensive zone/dumping it in.

My team has 0 way way too often. I hate our D men carrying it into the offensive zone and us bunching up at the offensive blue line, yet it occurs all the time. Sigh.
If I could just get us in the habit of the D man thinking about dumping it when he crosses the redline I'd be happy.

Whenever I skate the puck that far, it's because no one is open. If the forwards are puttering around and not putting themselves in good spots, I'm just going to hold on to the puck. My main job as a defensemen is to keep the puck away from our defensive zone, and trying to pass through an opponent's skates is not a good way to do that.

Point being, are you sure you've identified who's not playing right? :v:

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

xzzy posted:

Point being, are you sure you've identified who's not playing right? :v:
Seconded. I'll be the first to admit that I don't play a perfect game, but so many times I'll collect a puck and look up and the forwards aren't skating themselves open or aren't ready to receive a pass. I get a lot of forwards who turn around and look at me (which is fine) but aren't moving and expecting a pass completely oblivious to the defender right behind them. Or the forwards who just skate towards the other net with their sticks in the air and their heads down. I'm not making either of those passes.

Why are your forwards all bunching at the line? If the D is carrying the puck out of the zone, you guys should be coming back to support them. I hate to say it, but it sounds like at least part of your problem is that your forwards group doesn't know how to play without the puck.

Why would your D men dump it when they cross the red line? Your forwards are bunching at the blue line. That is not a good setup for dump and chase. This sounds more like dump and retreat.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 26, 2013

schzim
May 24, 2006
tl;dr
Our entire zone break out is probably broken. I'd certainly admit that when our breakout doesn't start as a complete rush situation our forwards are probably not doing everything right. Several of us are probably guilty of the stop and look back multiple times a game.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Defenseman gets the puck low in the zone -> Dishes to the waiting winger on the half-boards (or goes D-to-D) -> Who dishes to the center who's now streaking up/curling towards the strong side. Meanwhile the weak-side winger is also on his way up the ice, curling toward the strong side to support the play. All of this is tape-to-tape. None of that dish-the-puck-around-the-boards-and-pray-the-defenseman-is-too-awful-to-keep-it-in business.

9/10 times problems with the breakout arise because the forwards don't support their defenseman by giving them options inside the defensive zone. They leave the zone too early - for the home run pass, presumably - and leave the defensemen to try to thread the needle from deep in their own defensive zone. This invariably leads to turnovers and a generally lovely hockey game.

You should all be skating as a five-person unit.

--

Heh. That reminds me, I caught a home-run pass on the back-hand at full speed today. Sit back down after my shift and the guy says, "Yeah, we call that a hospital pass. There was a guy waiting to absolutely destroy you."

Ahhh...the things you get away with at drop-in.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 27, 2013

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Dangerllama posted:

9/10 times problems with the breakout arise because the forwards don't support their defenseman by giving them options inside the defensive zone. They leave the zone too early - for the home run pass, presumably - and leave the defensemen to try to thread the needle from deep in their own defensive zone. This invariably leads to turnovers and a generally lovely hockey game.

You should all be skating as a five-person unit.

Yes. The forwards need to be aware of where the forechecking team is in their defensive zone and try to get open if they want the puck. If you're out on the point in the defensive zone and start skating towards the offensive zone as soon as your D gets control of the puck you're part of the problem. Then the only real choices the defense has (if they don't want to turn the puck over) are to carry it out or dump it up the boards. If they've gotta skate all the way out of the zone to be able to pass to you because you ran out of space and HAD to stop at the attacking blue line, they're better off just carrying it in themselves because they've got a full head of steam and you're slowed down or stopped at the line. The basic breakout was mentioned a few times here (W on the boards, C moving up the side the puck's on) but the main point is that you need to be giving the D a clear passing lane and if that means you have to skate a little further into the zone, get the pass and curl around back out, then that's what you have to do. With time playing with the same people you'll get better at anticipating where a clear pass will be based on what the other team is doing and you'll be able to better utilize east-west and diagonal movement and angles off the boards to gain an edge but at the beginning you need to focus on opening up to your defense and making it as easy of a pass with nobody between you as possible.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

schzim posted:

Our entire zone break out is probably broken. I'd certainly admit that when our breakout doesn't start as a complete rush situation our forwards are probably not doing everything right. Several of us are probably guilty of the stop and look back multiple times a game.

When the breakout is broken in beer league, just think "can we start the breakout even 3 strides lower"? Keep it simple as possible.

Asking beer leaguers to lug their fat asses down to the half boards is asinine more times than not. If north of the blue line, can you get them south of it? Usually this will have a marked effect in the effectiveness.

And for us our best players play defense so yeah, them taking the puck up when there is room is not too out of place. Our good players up front are capable D so we just cycle back. Our team right now has a huge disparity between the top 3-4 people being + and the rest of the forwards being incredibly -. It's frustrating.

Dump and chase works awesome when you are going to skate after it and move your feet. If your team is too focused on crowding and stopping at the blue line, rather than either cycling back for the rushing D or giving them an option, the dump and chase is nothing but a turnover with no forecheck presence. The best dump and chase will have the d timing the dump in to when the wingers are crossing the blue line onsides so they can carry momentum and speed and hopefully get that puck back.

xzzy: has the league started yet for you? How are games going?

Edit: Basically what Topo said. Not to mention the curl back around is a great way to use crossovers to build up speed

sellouts fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 27, 2013

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

schzim posted:

That's preferable to what usually happens in beer leagues--an errant pass.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

On the breakout, the D-man should always throw pucks either at the winger's skates or unnecessarily bank it off the boards. Or at least that's what I'm led to believe from my teams.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

xzzy: has the league started yet for you? How are games going?

Yep, three games under my belt so clearly I'm a veteran and know everything about hockey. :smug:

Personally it's going well.. I learn something new every time and I'm getting less stupid. As a team, it has ups and downs. We generally play well but we're just starting to get to know each other so plays have a huge risk of hilarious failures.

I find it hard to play forward because I'm so defensively minded, every single zone entry I have to remind myself to go in deep. On the other hand, once I do get down low, plopping my rear end in front of the opposing goalie is amazing fun. Dudes try to push me out of the way and none of them know the tricks to get me off balance.. so it's completely futile for them.

On defense I'm kind of a liability, I can't skate backwards well enough to be effective against good players, and I still haven't figured out how to both avoid screening my goalie and block shots. But defense is my favorite thing to do, and getting someone to cough up the puck makes me feel badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

On the breakout, the D-man should always throw pucks either at the winger's skates or unnecessarily bank it off the boards. Or at least that's what I'm led to believe from my teams.

OH SNAP!!

One of the interesting things I find about making that boards pass is a lot of times I'll make it and it will be PERFECT...if only the forward had tried to pick it up after the bounce (as intended) instead of before.

That's one of those beginner things that a lot of people struggle with: skating and catching a pass/collecting a puck at the same time. For awhile, many beginners will immediately start gliding whenever they see a puck come their way.