Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

I washed my hands with every non-toxic fluid in my house and nothing worked. Wear the gloves.

That was your problem. You need something toxic, I have found that anything that will remove grease from metal will remove pepper from your hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

bunnielab posted:

That was your problem. You need something toxic, I have found that anything that will remove grease from metal will remove pepper from your hands.

Use something that will just let you remove the skin entirely. Nature's gloves.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I've gotten habaneros in my eyes like that so many times that it doesn't even really bother me anymore.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
They sell this stuff at auto part stores, because it gets your hands clean after you take apart an engine

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

fuckpot posted:

Okay cool. Just gotta wait for them to arrive in the mail which should be this week. Then I have to wait for the ghost peppers which will takes ages.

The last batch I made using ironleg's recipe I made the stock myself and it owned. The only thing premade (well apart from brewing own beer etc) was the chili powder. I might make my own ghost chili powder with the ghost peppers I am buying. I can hardly loving wait.

Where exactly do you live, such that you can't buy chipotle peppers in the grocery store?!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Turds in magma posted:

Where exactly do you live, such that you can't buy chipotle peppers in the grocery store?!

Umm... Every other country except the US maybe? The only way to get chipotle in Australia for example is to buy imported American cans of chipotle in Adobo on the internet.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Turds in magma posted:

Yep as that dude said, Australia. I can get some good stuff from this website however http://www.usafoods.com.au/

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007

fuckpot posted:

Yep as that dude said, Australia. I can get some good stuff from this website however http://www.usafoods.com.au/

I was thinking that anyone who would want to make chili probably lived in north america (i lived in europe and no one ate chili in france or germany at least...)
forgot about Australia though... I could see chili being popular there

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Kenning posted:

That sounds really good, thanks.

Oh man you've gotta get on that dried chili game. There's crazy flavor to be had for cheap. You can start by making your own chili powder.

Oh hell ya I do this all the time and especially for Tamale sauce and filling. Just get bags of dried California/Ancho/Anaheim chiles and soak them in hot water for 30 min or so then toss them into a blender with a few cloves of roasted garlic and chicken/beef soup stock. Then strain out all the shelly bits. It makes the best loving gravy and it's very cheap. It works really well for chili as well.

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

So dabbling into my first REAL pot of chili this week. I've made my own meat sands before but wanted to try this non-midwest chili. I have an idea of where I want to go taste and ingredient wise but the actual base/chili powder is where I'm questioning.

I want to make my own chili powder/base.
I purchased 4lbs of chuck roast, cumin seeds to toast, 10oz of dried Guajillos, and 3oz of dried Anchos. I have a can of chipotles in adobo just sitting around i can use if needed.

How many of each pepper do I need to roast and blend up for only enough for the 4lbs of meat?

:siren: I have no issues with fire in, fire out but my girlfriend is a lot more delicate when it comes to spiciness. I think the guajillos may be overkill for her? Should I find something more mild? :siren:
GF spiciness guide: Srirachi Lays = She rates a 6 or 7 spiciness. Red Pepper Flakes+Jalepenos just added to normal crappy chili powder=Too Spicy.

Duxwig fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 25, 2013

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Guajillos are not very spicy. Maybe as spicy as weaker jalapeņos. Obviously it depends on how much you use, but when I make chili for kids who don't take spice well, they have no problem with guajillos.

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

Guajillos are not very spicy. Maybe as spicy as weaker jalapeņos. Obviously it depends on how much you use, but when I make chili for kids who don't take spice well, they have no problem with guajillos.

Great.
So how many chilis should I roast up? 1? 2? 5?

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007

Duxwig posted:

So dabbling into my first REAL pot of chili this week. I've made my own meat sands before but wanted to try this non-midwest chili. I have an idea of where I want to go taste and ingredient wise but the actual base/chili powder is where I'm questioning.

I want to make my own chili powder/base.
I purchased 4lbs of chuck roast, cumin seeds to toast, 10oz of dried Guajillos, and 3oz of dried Anchos. I have a can of chipotles in adobo just sitting around i can use if needed.

How many of each pepper do I need to roast and blend up for only enough for the 4lbs of meat?

:siren: I have no issues with fire in, fire out but my girlfriend is a lot more delicate when it comes to spiciness. I think the guajillos may be overkill for her? Should I find something more mild? :siren:
GF spiciness guide: Srirachi Lays = She rates a 6 or 7 spiciness. Red Pepper Flakes+Jalepenos just added to normal crappy chili powder=Too Spicy.

I highly recommend toasting your dried chilies in a hot pan for 2-3 minutes (don't burn them), and then steep them in very hot stock/water for half an hour. Then put them in a blender with your cumin/salt/black pepper, and make a paste.

The reason this method is superior to making a powder is that you don't end up with tiny gritty pieces.

All you need after this is your chuck roast, browned, an onion, some garlic, some stock, and cook it. You can add beans if you want to make it more filling.

edit: add a good amount of canned chipotles too: they do wonders.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Duxwig posted:

Great.
So how many chilis should I roast up? 1? 2? 5?

For 4 lbs of meat, I would probably go with 3oz of the guajillos, all 3oz of the anchos. Cut off the tops and deseed them. You can toast them a bit, but I honestly wouldn't risk losing all of your anchos if you overdid it, which can happen quickly. You will get plenty of flavor out of what you have, especially the chipotles.

How big is your can of Chipotles? If you don't want to completely overshadow the flavors of the other chilies, I wouldn't use more than 6oz. Those are really going to be your main spiciness driver. This ends up being really awesome though, since you can actually very easily control the spice of each serving. If your GF doesn't handle spice well, just chop up the chilies themselves, and add them. This will give a good bit of flavor, and a decent amount of spice. Save the adobo sauce, and add it directly to your serving for extra smokey deliciousness, and a hefty extra dose of spice.

Edit: I do totally agree with soaking the chilies in hot stock, then blending them. All the flavor, just much easier to deal with.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 25, 2013

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Can of chipotles is 3oz

Can I make the chili paste tonight and refrig it? Plan on using tomorrow at lunch break and simmering all afternoon. Don't have time to soak and everything so trying to prep as much tonight for quick seamless cooking tomorrow.

Thanks for all the replies also!

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007

Duxwig posted:

Can of chipotles is 3oz

Can I make the chili paste tonight and refrig it? Plan on using tomorrow at lunch break and simmering all afternoon. Don't have time to soak and everything so trying to prep as much tonight for quick seamless cooking tomorrow.

Thanks for all the replies also!

Absolutely it will keep overnight. In fact, after making chili paste you are only a couple of steps away from harissa, which is just the addition of some lemon juice, coriander, and olive oil. Harissa keeps forever, and I should probably make a thread on it since it is 100% better than any hotsauce you can buy.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
If anything, it's better to let it sit over night.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Turds in magma posted:

The reason this method is superior to making a powder is that you don't end up with tiny gritty pieces.

I grind mine and have never noticed any grittiness.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
Just had my chipotles in adobo sauce arrive. I didn't know 3.5oz was so small D: Luckily I got five cans.

Now I just need to wait for my ghost peppers and it's ultimate chili time.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

fuckpot posted:

Just had my chipotles in adobo sauce arrive. I didn't know 3.5oz was so small D: Luckily I got five cans.

Now I just need to wait for my ghost peppers and it's ultimate chili time.

one can is enough for 2-3 chili batches for me, and I love spice.

but I guess I also smother my chili in hot sauce after serving too

GIVE ME CHILIES EVERY loving WAY IMAGINABLE THANKS

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The thing about canned chipotles is that the peppers themselves aren't THAT hot but the sauce is pretty much nothing but hot paprika and vinegar and way hotter.

Duece Ex Machina
Aug 6, 2008
This recent discussion just solved every problem I've been having with my chili. I love spicy texas-style chili. MY GIRLFRIEND loves midwestern-style chili. Through five tries I've still yet to find a way to a) use my dried chilis and b) use chipotle in adobo without making it too spicy. I'd never thought to just use the pepper and reserve the sauce for myself--amazing tip. And steeping/blending is so much less of a hassle than blending because I can never get a good grind. I can't wait to make some more chili once the ragu I made is gone.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Duece Ex Machina posted:

This recent discussion just solved every problem I've been having with my chili. I love spicy texas-style chili. MY GIRLFRIEND loves midwestern-style chili. Through five tries I've still yet to find a way to a) use my dried chilis and b) use chipotle in adobo without making it too spicy. I'd never thought to just use the pepper and reserve the sauce for myself--amazing tip. And steeping/blending is so much less of a hassle than blending because I can never get a good grind. I can't wait to make some more chili once the ragu I made is gone.

The real advantage of soaking/boiling and processing the dried peppers is that it forms a thick base for the chili.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How much water should I use when soaking dried peppers? The instructions on the back of the pack I bought weren't very good

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'd like to know that too. I was thinking of just soaking then in beef stock, then draining the stock into the pot while the chilis go in the blender. But couldn't I also just blend the whole mess, liquid and all, since it's all going in the pot anyway?

Do you guys toss in toasted cumin seeds in the paste as well?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Basically, chop up the dried chilies a bit(I usually just cut rings with kitchen shears), and toss them into the blender. Put in just enough hot stock to cover them. That will be plenty of liquid in my experience. Let it sit for 30 minutes, then you should be good to blend.

As far as putting other spices in with it, I would avoid it. Cumin seeds are not going to get nearly as soft as the chilies do, and I don't think any blender in the world is going to get those seeds chopped up fine enough. Use your spice/coffee grinder for those.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Doom Rooster posted:

Basically, chop up the dried chilies a bit(I usually just cut rings with kitchen shears), and toss them into the blender. Put in just enough hot stock to cover them. That will be plenty of liquid in my experience. Let it sit for 30 minutes, then you should be good to blend.

As far as putting other spices in with it, I would avoid it. Cumin seeds are not going to get nearly as soft as the chilies do, and I don't think any blender in the world is going to get those seeds chopped up fine enough. Use your spice/coffee grinder for those.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
One time I made chili and it came out really, really good.

The other times I've made it since then have been varying levels of success, but the common theme is that the drat tomatoes never seem to really break up and disseminate. If I put whole or chopped tomatoes in they basically stay that way, and I'm talking after 8 hours of slow cooker action. I can't get it to be a consistent yet thick sauce at all.

The hell could I be doing wrong? Friday my roommate is having a chili event for his birthday so I'm trying to get this down pat.

edit: What I mean is that it's basically watery with big chucks of tomatoes floating around. Not very appealing that way. I'm not adding water, either.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 26, 2013

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
Do you cook it the whole time in a covered slow cooker? To make it nice and thick it needs to be uncovered so water can escape via water vapour. I believe cornmeal (I think there are so many different versions of cornsomething. The coarse yellow stuff) added to a chili can also help in its thickness.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
When I add tomatoes, I grate them. Cut them in half, and use the largest holed side of the cheese grater. You're left with a pile of tomatoes on one side and tomato skin in your hand.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Yeah obviously you need to grind the cumin before it goes in with the chilies in the blender if you don't want whole seeds (although I often don't grind the cumin at all. just toast it)

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

fuckpot posted:

Do you cook it the whole time in a covered slow cooker? To make it nice and thick it needs to be uncovered so water can escape via water vapour. I believe cornmeal (I think there are so many different versions of cornsomething. The coarse yellow stuff) added to a chili can also help in its thickness.

Oh that is an excellent point, I did have the top on the whole time.

I'll grate them up and keep the top off for most of it. I'll make it Thursday night as well so it can have a day in the fridge.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

fuckpot posted:

If your chili is watery it is because you put too much liquid in it. You can cook it with the lid on. You can dump tomatoes in it. Those things don't make watery chili.

You don't need to cook it for eight hours. Counting on an entire day of boiling to turn your soup into chili is a bad strategy. Your meat will turn to mush rather than just breaking apart. If you start out thick, you'll end up with thick chili.

This is an old pot of chili that hasn't gone in the oven yet. It has a can of tomatoes in it. Not watery.

Here is the same pot of chili after cooking for three hours with a lid on it. Also not watery.

In conclusion, stop putting a gallon of liquid in your chili and it won't be watery.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

cornface posted:

In conclusion, stop putting a gallon of liquid in your chili and it won't be watery.

This is one of the bigger mistakes that people make when starting out with Chili. The meat itself will end up putting out a ton of liquid itself. You really want to just add your liquid chilies mixture, stir that around, and then add just enough flavorful liquid (stock, beer, whatever) to just cover the meat and then stir it in.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Doom Rooster posted:

This is one of the bigger mistakes that people make when starting out with Chili. The meat itself will end up putting out a ton of liquid itself. You really want to just add your liquid chilies mixture, stir that around, and then add just enough flavorful liquid (stock, beer, whatever) to just cover the meat and then stir it in.

Yes. Usually the liquid from the tomatoes (if you use them), the water trapped in the blended chilis, and whatever you used to deglaze your browning pan with is plenty.

Reserve a bit of water from the pot you soaked/boiled the chilis in and you've got some delicious juice to add if it needs it later.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Not that I'm necessarily disagreeing; this is just a question: wouldn't more stock/beer/etc. being allowed to reduce result in more intense flavor?

As for corn meal as a thickener, I used that once and it worked okay but I've seen lots of suggestions online to use masa (corn flour for tortillas) instead of corn meal because it's ground finer. I haven't tried that though.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Choadmaster posted:

Not that I'm necessarily disagreeing; this is just a question: wouldn't more stock/beer/etc. being allowed to reduce result in more intense flavor?

As for corn meal as a thickener, I used that once and it worked okay but I've seen lots of suggestions online to use masa (corn flour for tortillas) instead of corn meal because it's ground finer. I haven't tried that though.

You could get a more intense flavor by adding more liquid and letting it reduce, but unless you are specifically wanting to make your chili taste like X, instead of just have some of that flavor, then there is no need. It also adds more cooking time, and more chance for your beef to overcook.

And yeah, do not use regular corn meal for a thickener. Masa would be what you would want to use, but that's a last resort, only to be used if you are on a time limit and need the chili done earlier than you can reduce it, after you have already put more liquid in than you should.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Saint Darwin posted:

One time I made chili and it came out really, really good.

The other times I've made it since then have been varying levels of success, but the common theme is that the drat tomatoes never seem to really break up and disseminate. If I put whole or chopped tomatoes in they basically stay that way, and I'm talking after 8 hours of slow cooker action. I can't get it to be a consistent yet thick sauce at all.

The hell could I be doing wrong? Friday my roommate is having a chili event for his birthday so I'm trying to get this down pat.

edit: What I mean is that it's basically watery with big chucks of tomatoes floating around. Not very appealing that way. I'm not adding water, either.

Check your tomatoes, assuming they're canned, for calcium chloride. It's used to prevent them from falling apart in the can, and continues to work once they are out of the can. Solution: don't use canned tomatoes with calcium chloride.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

AriTheDog posted:

Check your tomatoes, assuming they're canned, for calcium chloride. It's used to prevent them from falling apart in the can, and continues to work once they are out of the can. Solution: don't use canned tomatoes with calcium chloride.

Also jab at them with a spatula after you dump them in. Once they're sort of broken into chunks the cooking process should do the rest.

Regarding making a swimming pool out of your chili pot and then reducing it down for intense flavor, you are usually talking about adding beer or beef broth. A reduced beer isn't really going to make a huge difference in a pot of chili that is full of seasonings and peppers. If you want it to be beefier, you're better off adding more meat. A mix of cubed meat and ground/shredded "filler" will give you the beefy flavor you desire without resulting in a horrible meat paste. Try a 3 to 1 ratio of cubed to filler and adjust from there. Chorizo, ground beef, pork, or venison, and pulled pork are all good.

Nobody should ever bite into a hearty scoop of chili and say "man, I wish this chili had less meat and peppers and more reduced beef broth."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Any tips on how to make a chilli less spicy? I've just got a new bunch of dried chilli's I'm unfamiliar with and I'm worried I'm going to make my next batch too hot. Also thankyou for the chilli paste idea.