Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Kerbtree posted:

Well, go get it on blu-ray, it's a combined 2d/3d disc, so sooner or later, you'll get to see it 'properly'.

I got it the other day but I have a feeling it will be a little while before I get a tv/bluray player combo that supports 3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Kerbtree posted:

Well, go get it on blu-ray, it's a combined 2d/3d disc, so sooner or later, you'll get to see it 'properly'.

Later or never probably, since 3D is a flop and higher resolutions are a more likely step forward. But yeah, buy it on DVD/Blu-ray anyway. :v:

I saw this in cinema (so I'm basically a saint, obviously) and it was pretty amazing in 3D, certainly the best use of the technology I've seen.

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee.Black. You have five earth minutes ... Make it Perfect!
Got the blu-ray yesterday and here's a little heads-up for every Belgian or Dutch guy that is looking to buy this:
The transfer done by EntertainmentOne or Dutch Filmworks is really bad. Most of it (in 2D atleast) is extremely overlit so many details on screen are lost. Just check the comparison between the Dutch and Nordic version:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/7452
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/7457
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/7429

Still a good movie but maybe worth checking into to import it from somewhere else...

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Kegluneq posted:

Later or never probably, since 3D is a flop and higher resolutions are a more likely step forward. But yeah, buy it on DVD/Blu-ray anyway. :v:

I saw this in cinema (so I'm basically a saint, obviously) and it was pretty amazing in 3D, certainly the best use of the technology I've seen.

Eh, a second-hand 120Hz monitor and a pair of whatever brand glasses are appropriate for your GPU's doable.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Kerbtree posted:

Eh, a second-hand 120Hz monitor and a pair of whatever brand glasses are appropriate for your GPU's doable.

You'll also need a brand specific transmitter for active shutter glasses.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Kerbtree posted:

And a blu-ray disc drive presumably (I have a PS3)?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Has there been any mention on how the blu-ray sales have done? My hope was that they blu-ray sales would be good enough to push the film into getting a sequel.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

I just watched it again last night, when they're in the medical bay Dredd points out a certain level as a good place to hit Ma-Ma's guys, but then they're at the apartment where Kay is. How did they decide to go there? Plus Dredd expresses doubt that Kay is Ma-Ma clan, so what prompts them to blow the door open?

That's the only plot problem I've run into so far :) This movie was remarkably well written.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Croisquessein posted:

I just watched it again last night, when they're in the medical bay Dredd points out a certain level as a good place to hit Ma-Ma's guys, but then they're at the apartment where Kay is. How did they decide to go there? Plus Dredd expresses doubt that Kay is Ma-Ma clan, so what prompts them to blow the door open?

That's the only plot problem I've run into so far :) This movie was remarkably well written.

You must have missed the end of the medical bay scene- the medic points out to them where the clan operate on that level.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Pingiivi posted:

You'll also need a brand specific transmitter for active shutter glasses.
Last time I quoted this for myself (a year or two ago) it would run me like $300 to get the shutter glasses and a monitor that could do 3D (already have a video card).

I feel like this time around 3D is going to stay because it is actually pretty good in the home. If shutter glasses get cheaper or they come out with a polarized monitor so that you could use passive 3D glasses would make it accessible to more than just enthusiasts.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

marktheando posted:

You must have missed the end of the medical bay scene- the medic points out to them where the clan operate on that level.

Does he point out a specific apartment? I did miss that. Better go watch it again, because LAAWWW

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Croisquessein posted:

Does he point out a specific apartment? I did miss that. Better go watch it again, because LAAWWW

Yes, he points at it on the map.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Has there been any mention on how the blu-ray sales have done? My hope was that they blu-ray sales would be good enough to push the film into getting a sequel.

They've been mentioned as very good - in the first 2 weeks on sale, the movie held the #1 spot in Blu-ray, DVD and VOD sales, and sold a total of 650,000 units in those two weeks. So yeah, a hell of a lot better than the box office, which I think may be due to the good word-of-mouth finally spreading after being given a few months.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

KoRMaK posted:

Last time I quoted this for myself (a year or two ago) it would run me like $300 to get the shutter glasses and a monitor that could do 3D (already have a video card).

I got an 27-inch Asus monitor that has a built in Nvidia 3D Vision transmitter and it came with a pair of Nvidia glasses. It wasn't exactly cheap (at least in Eurozone), but it's quite good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BreakAtmo posted:

They've been mentioned as very good - in the first 2 weeks on sale, the movie held the #1 spot in Blu-ray, DVD and VOD sales, and sold a total of 650,000 units in those two weeks. So yeah, a hell of a lot better than the box office, which I think may be due to the good word-of-mouth finally spreading after being given a few months.

That is incredible! Very happy to see that number. It would be so awesome to see word of mouth save this film, and give it a sequel.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

KoRMaK posted:

or they come out with a polarized monitor so that you could use passive 3D glasses would make it accessible to more than just enthusiasts.

LG produce a range of television's/Monitor's that use Passive glasses are these not what your referring to? as there relatively inexpensive,perform well and glasses can be obtained for under a quid.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
At least we'll be able to see Karl Urban kick a lot of rear end this year in Riddick.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Would they make a direct-to-DVD sequel?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

Would they make a direct-to-DVD sequel?

Could they really do that? This was already a 'budget' Dredd, only $40mil, and set mostly in a single building. Dropping the budget to $5-10mil would be worrying.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

At least we'll be able to see Karl Urban kick a lot of rear end this year in Riddick.

Also as Bones. He is such an awesome Bones.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

KoRMaK posted:

I feel like this time around 3D is going to stay because it is actually pretty good in the home. If shutter glasses get cheaper or they come out with a polarized monitor so that you could use passive 3D glasses would make it accessible to more than just enthusiasts.

I got myself a passive 3D television earlier this month, largely so I could see Dredd again as it was meant to be seen (as well as other films that made great use of the extra dimension -- How To Train Your Dragon, ParaNorman, Avatar, Prometheus, etc.)

Do polarized glasses not hurt your eyes after a while? I would imagine it would become quite bothersome eventually, and the quality of 3D with my passive TV is more than good enough. It's unbelievably gorgeous, actually.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Until they come up with a 3ds style screen with a bigger "sweet spot," home 3d going to be a really tough sell for people who already wear corrective vision glasses.

I completely love the effect, but gently caress wearing glasses on top of my glasses.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

I am so jazzed for the next Star Trek.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

moths posted:

I completely love the effect, but gently caress wearing glasses on top of my glasses.

LG has a passive system and they sell clip-on type of polarized 3D-lenses that you can put on your glasses. They are really light and comfortable.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Pingiivi posted:

LG has a passive system and they sell clip-on type of polarized 3D-lenses that you can put on your glasses. They are really light and comfortable.

They're also stupid cheap on Amazon, and I can verify that they're super comfortable to wear, and easy to bring with you to the theater if need be.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh poo poo, I did not know this but am exited to look into it!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Welp, just saw this in China and they edited out the most gory seconds here and there. Didn't touch the speech though. The slomo 3d still looked great, but the rest still looked at times blurry or grainy, randomly. Same as when I saw it in the states.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bobkatt013 posted:

I think we can all agree that simply, Karl Urban kicks rear end.

If you are in Canada, and near an HMV, we just put Dredd on sale, 10bux for DVD, 15 for BRD. If you already have it, buy it for a friend!

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Anybody have trouble getting the digital copy onto mobile devices? I heard this was an issue with a bunch of different movies.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I have itunes digital copies of a bunch of movies and it really seems like a crapshoot as to whether or not itunes will let me transcode a movie for an ipod touch or ipad or not.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Finally saw this for the first time over the weekend and loved it. I realized it's pretty much exactly what I want from a Robocop reboot. So yeah, I guess thay don't need to do that Robocop reboot now.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

I was catching up on the Irrationally Irritating Moments thread and some folks were complaining about the Slo-Mo scenes being unnecessary and boring. I thought they were gorgeous and I love the fact that they're the ONLY time slow motion is used in the whole movie. In a time when almost every action movie uses slow motion as a way of injecting drama into an otherwise unremarkable scene and sometimes half of a movie is done in slow motion/ speed up (Resident Evil, etc) it's awesome to see everything happen in realtime.

I just watched Half in the Bag's latest on Hollywood trends and when Mike was describing the fight scenes with all the slow motion and sound effects I was rolling. It's exactly the kind of thing I am totally sick of.

http://vimeo.com/61120378

E: can't get the video to embed for some reason
E: hehe, whoops

Croisquessein fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 13, 2013

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I liked how when they did have the slow-mo scenes, action actually brought things back to normal time.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Croisquessein posted:

I was catching up on the Irrationally Irritating Moments thread and some folks were complaining about the Slo-Mo scenes being unnecessary and boring. I thought they were gorgeous and I love the fact that they're the ONLY time slow motion is used in the whole movie. In a time when almost every action movie uses slow motion as a way of injecting drama into an otherwise unremarkable scene and sometimes half of a movie is done in slow motion/ speed up (Resident Evil, etc) it's awesome to see everything happen in realtime.

I just watched Half in the Bag's latest on Hollywood trends and when Mike was describing the fight scenes with all the slow motion and sound effects I was rolling. It's exactly the kind of thing I am totally sick of.

Which thread is this? Sounds interesting.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Nutsngum posted:

Which thread is this? Sounds interesting.

The Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments Thread

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Croisquessein posted:

http://vimeo.com/61120378

E: can't get the video to embed for some reason

Either way, slow-mo is never as bad as inexplicable time loops.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey, Groundhog Day was a good movie

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Hey, Groundhog Day was a good movie

Yeah, I'm not really sure how "Inexplicable time loops" is remotely comparable to slow motion. Slow motion is a stylistic, cinematic effect that has recently been overused quite a bit in action films. "Time loops" are a narative device that has been used maybe a dozen times as method of exploring characters and their stories. It's not like there are films that are normal genre films EXCEPT they overuse time loops during certain scenes... And there are almost no films that use slow motion as a narrative device.

Furthermore, every I have enjoyed every inexplicable time loop story I have seen. Daybreak was a particularly well executed example.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I was just making reference to his copy and paste mishap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

See Savages for a really bad movie with a lovely time loop and some added rape.

• Locked thread