Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
My place is under contract for almost 30k more than I paid for it in 2005 despite having never put it on the market. Do always buy.

e: This is a joke. We are going to rent for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

razz posted:

CitizenKain, I found rental houses in your area, just type in "house" in the "search for" box and it will just show you the houses.

Example: http://helena.craigslist.org/apa/3594579701.html

Also check out Zillow and filter it by "houses for rent". It's actually been my experience that houses are cheaper to rent than apartments. They don't add in a bunch of bullshit maintenance/pool/gym fees in your rent. My landlord pays water and trash, and my roommate and I split the bills on an ~800 square foot house. It comes out to about $400 a month each. Most of my friends in apartments are paying $400-450 a month before utilities!

Apartments usually have high maintenance fees every month. I'm looking at multi families from an investment angle, and apartments don't give nearly the same return that multi family houses do. If you're renting, there's no doubt that houses give you more bang for your buck.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Leperflesh posted:

You don't have to convince a lender that the property is worth what you are paying, but only a fool buys a house without getting an appraisal. What's $400 to $600, compared to how much money you're risking on this home?

Just out of curiosity, why would you pay for an appraisal of a place you are paying cash for? You've obviously decided the place is worth that, since you're paying for it... So why pay for an appraisal?

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

jackyl posted:

Just out of curiosity, why would you pay for an appraisal of a place you are paying cash for? You've obviously decided the place is worth that, since you're paying for it... So why pay for an appraisal?

To make sure the house is actually worth what you think it's worth. Usually appraisal is a condition of the offer, if it comes out with a lower number you have an option to renegotiate.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's it exactly. Don't estimate what you best offer should be based on Zillow, or how much you've fallen in love with the property, or what the seller is asking. Get a good appraisal from an experienced appraiser who is familiar with the market, the neighborhood, the type of home, and the prevailing conditions. If it appraises high, great. If it appraises low, negotiate the price down.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

You don't have to convince a lender that the property is worth what you are paying, but only a fool buys a house without getting an appraisal. What's $400 to $600, compared to how much money you're risking on this home?

But you do have to get an appraisal as a condition of a bank loan, unless I misunderstand you? Because the house is collateral, the bank doesn't want to put 300k in loan risk unless the house is worth that, no?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Leperflesh posted:

That's it exactly. Don't estimate what you best offer should be based on Zillow, or how much you've fallen in love with the property, or what the seller is asking. Get a good appraisal from an experienced appraiser who is familiar with the market, the neighborhood, the type of home, and the prevailing conditions. If it appraises high, great. If it appraises low, negotiate the price down.
Considering how often the first question out of the appraiser's mouth is "How much do you want it to be worth?", I have a low opinion of appraisers.

If you've done your due diligence, and investigated the investment objectively (like you should do for ALL investments), there's no need for an appraiser. By the strictest definition, the property is worth exactly what someone will pay for it.

Cocoa Ninja posted:

But you do have to get an appraisal as a condition of a bank loan, unless I misunderstand you? Because the house is collateral, the bank doesn't want to put 300k in loan risk unless the house is worth that, no?
He's talking about buying a house all-cash, no mortgage.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dik Hz posted:

Considering how often the first question out of the appraiser's mouth is "How much do you want it to be worth?", I have a low opinion of appraisers.

I've heard this complaint but it certainly hasn't been my experience. I've had my house appraised three times by three different companies - they all did a straightforward and fairly thorough analysis of recent comparable sales and listings with no input from me at all. That was starting in 2009 though :>

I can't imagine why you wouldn't get such an appraisal even if you're buying for cash. It's cheap negotiating leverage.

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!

Dik Hz posted:

If you've done your due diligence, and investigated the investment objectively (like you should do for ALL investments), there's no need for an appraiser. By the strictest definition, the property is worth exactly what someone will pay for it.

Your first point certainly at least used to be true in my personal experience and experiences of others, my understanding is that they basically went off of the MLS and did these from a computer.

I'm under the (perhaps false) impression that this has changed now, at least for FHA loans, but maybe that has been the case for a while...our current home is a traditional and the one we're building is FHA so I haven't been through the FHA process before.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
So we just started looking at houses on Sunday. We managed to see 12 houses, so I got a good sense of what's on the market.

Of those, the second house we saw was, in retrospect, perfect. Really beautiful yard, really great inside, huge, in our price range, but unfortunately, it was being shown as an open house and the seller's agent said that they wanted offers in by 5 as he was presenting at 7. If it wasn't our first day looking and the second house we'd even seen, we probably would have put in an offer in retrospect, especially seeing other comparably priced houses being in really lovely condition comparably.

Looks like it's under contract now, so we'll see what happens. With any luck, that'll fall apart and we can bounce on it. Otherwise, keep looking.

Anyone have experience doing renovations on taking possession? Our budget's $500k, but looking around, I'm seeing some houses in the $300s that could be good with some work done to them.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I don't know how much advice this thread will be able to provide for me, but it's worth a shot.

I'm about to start trying to sell the house I inherited when my mom passed away. A family-friend realtor said I could probably get $190k for it, as-is (out-of-date in a community that shits itself for granite countertops, hardwood floors, SS appliances, etc, but 3100sqft in a neighborhood where the 2400sqft ones are asking $250k+) The lowest price of any single-family home on the market in the whole city is asking $191k. An investor contacted me and I had him come over to look, just to just see what he offered. $140k, hah! But through more contact he's upped his offer to 160k, as is, he pays closing costs, I don't need to pay a seller's agent, no inspection (I'm scared for the foundation), the end. He said his brother could help me put it on the market and get 180k for it, but buyers always request at least $1000 in updates and whatever their inspector finds, plus seller's agent fee.

I guess my question is, is the $160k offer a stupid choice? The property was appraised by the county for taxes at $198k so I'm like "ugh" but I've never dealt with this. If anyone is familiar with the area, it's Plano Texas.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 25, 2013

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

drat Bananas posted:

I don't know how much advice this thread will be able to provide for me, but it's worth a shot.

I'm about to start trying to sell the house I inherited when my mom passed away. A family-friend realtor said I could probably get $190k for it, as-is (out-of-date in a community that shits itself for granite countertops, hardwood floors, SS appliances, etc, but 3100sqft in a neighborhood where the 2400sqft ones are asking $250k+) The lowest price of any single-family home on the market in the whole city is asking $191k. An investor contacted me and I had him come over to look, just to just see what he offered. $140k, hah! But through more contact he's upped his offer to 160k, as is, he pays closing costs, I don't need to pay a seller's agent, no inspection (I'm scared for the foundation), the end. He said his brother could help me put it on the market and get 180k for it, but buyers always request at least $1000 in updates and whatever their inspector finds, plus seller's agent fee.

I guess my question is, is the $160k offer a stupid choice? The property was appraised by the county for taxes at $198k so I'm like "ugh" but I've never dealt with this. If anyone is familiar with the area, it's Plano Texas.
Plano is covered by Redfin. You could probably spend some time browsing closed sales and see what comparable places go for, at least on a $/sq. ft. basis.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Anyone have experience doing renovations on taking possession? Our budget's $500k, but looking around, I'm seeing some houses in the $300s that could be good with some work done to them.
Do you have cash to pay for the renovations? Or would you be looking at a 203(k)?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

gvibes posted:

Do you have cash to pay for the renovations? Or would you be looking at a 203(k)?

I do, but am hesitant I won't pick the "right" granite/tile/carpet and not get back what I put into it. I would also like to keep the money to update whatever home my fiance and I buy (we were already house-shopping when my mom passed). I am also worried about the "rabbit hole" we might go down: "You have to paint and re-floor everything, and it won't sell without granite; oh and the blinds too. The fence is old, too, and what's that? No sprinkler system? While you're at it, you absolutely must address this crack in the bricks...." (these are all things my realtor family-friend has told me I "need" to do) I seriously don't want to deal with that poo poo. I'm selling a house, buying a house, and planning a wedding that is in 3 months.

Edit: Redfin lists average price per square foot at $95, translating mine to $295k. I don't get it. The house isn't a heap of crap, it just looks like it stepped out of 1992, which the updates will fix. Why the investor thinks he can only list it for 225k after updates, I have no idea.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 25, 2013

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
So are you asking if you should take the straight $160K offer and be done with it, or do some renovations yourself/pay for renovations and try to get more money?

I guess it comes down to how much effort you want to put into it. It kind of sounds like you want to get rid of the house and not have to deal with the aforementioned renovation issues. So are you willing to take a loss (and loss might be a bad word since you inherited the house and therefore I assume did not have to pay for it thus any sale will be purely profit) to not have to deal with a bunch of other issues down the line? Personally I'd take a lowball offer. The money you "lose" may be worth it if you don't have the time/effort to mess with flipping a house.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

razz posted:

So are you asking if you should take the straight $160K offer and be done with it, or do some renovations yourself/pay for renovations and try to get more money?

I guess it comes down to how much effort you want to put into it. It kind of sounds like you want to get rid of the house and not have to deal with the aforementioned renovation issues. So are you willing to take a loss (and loss might be a bad word since you inherited the house and therefore I assume did not have to pay for it thus any sale will be purely profit) to not have to deal with a bunch of other issues down the line? Personally I'd take a lowball offer. The money you "lose" may be worth it if you don't have the time/effort to mess with flipping a house.

Mostly I was fishing to see if anyone reading the description would flip out and be like "NO, selling a huge house for 30k below the lowest price in the city is completely stupid and there's no way a lack of closing costs would cover the difference!" because I really have no idea. That was my uneducated reaction, anyway. Or alternatively the advice that "Whatever you pay to put into the house you will not make dollar for dollar back" would make my decision to-renovate or not-to-renovate much easier.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

drat Bananas posted:

If you're not in a rush to sell, I'd just hold out for the $190k.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

drat Bananas posted:

Mostly I was fishing to see if anyone reading the description would flip out and be like "NO, selling a huge house for 30k below the lowest price in the city is completely stupid and there's no way a lack of closing costs would cover the difference!" because I really have no idea. That was my uneducated reaction, anyway. Or alternatively the advice that "Whatever you pay to put into the house you will not make dollar for dollar back" would make my decision to-renovate or not-to-renovate much easier.

Your first step should probably be to just pay $600 bucks and get your place inspected so you know if there are problem areas. If the foundation and structure is fine then tell the guy to gently caress himself and see what the market will pay. It sounds like he knows its still a hell of a deal and trying to freak you out about small things ($1k changes to net an extra $29k, sign me up). My guess is he's planning to spend a few thousand upgrading the appearance and will flip it for large profit.

resident fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 25, 2013

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

drat Bananas posted:

Take that 160k as a last-resort and go out and get more offers. This could be the second easiest $40k you make in your life.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
Anyone know of any services in the Pittsburgh/PA area that help disabled people find houses that will work for them? A buddy of mine has been looking for months for a one floor house with garage on the same level. Due to the hills in Pittsburgh, he hasn't been able to find anything that will work for him. He's not sure if his realtor just sucks, or if it's fairly impossible to find a house like this in Pitt. I've done some Googling and everything I've seen was for helping people find places that are completely disabled and on Social Security or fixed incomes and whatnot, which doesn't pertain to him.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I'm no house expert but I've been reading this thread for at least a year and that $160k offer sounds terrible. I'm sure he's only trying to max out his profit but gently caress him.

Subtract 160k from what you could realistically get and then work out how many hours of your time that is worth with whatever you do for a living.

And yes, get an inspection first, as recommended.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
The opportunity to make $30k-40k more is not something you should turn down unless you don't care about money and are already extremely wealthy or something.

If you keep a budget and try to save money, then it only makes sense to try to maximize the profit in that house. You'll never save $40k cutting out coupons or doing whatever insane stuff you see people do in that "tell me how to not bathe and save money" thread.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

the littlest prince posted:

I'm no house expert but I've been reading this thread for at least a year and that $160k offer sounds terrible. I'm sure he's only trying to max out his profit but gently caress him.

Subtract 160k from what you could realistically get and then work out how many hours of your time that is worth with whatever you do for a living.

And yes, get an inspection first, as recommended.

The guy's argument is that on a $180k sale I will be paying (iirc) $11k in seller's agent fees, $4k in closing costs, $1500 per month in mortgage payments and basic utilities for however long it has to be on the market, a few thousand for an inspection + the buyer's independent inspection and respective demands (that can be a big rabbit hole: discovering unknown electrical fuckupery/foundation horrors/wood rot/whatever)... so, it's not like I'm really asking "Which number is bigger, 160 or 180?" because of all the factors. :) The actual net of each situation would be pretty close.

three posted:

The opportunity to make $30k-40k more is not something you should turn down unless you don't care about money and are already extremely wealthy or something.

If you keep a budget and try to save money, then it only makes sense to try to maximize the profit in that house. You'll never save $40k cutting out coupons or doing whatever insane stuff you see people do in that "tell me how to not bathe and save money" thread.
I'm not insanely wealthy but I did inherit a nearly complete untouched retirement fund so I am not hurting. And it's not 30-40k, as broken out above. Maybe it's $5k - and maybe that's worth it for me to devote my time to finding a house for my fiance and I for the next 10-20 years, or worth it to have the time to plan a nice wedding (we're past the point of no return so there's no delaying it now)

I declined his offer, though, and will do some basic updates with the help of family. Thanks, thread!

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 26, 2013

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

It just kind of sounds like you have no idea how much the place is worth. As a general rule in life, you probably should not accept a first and only offer.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

drat Bananas posted:

The guy's argument is that on a $180k sale I will be paying (iirc) $11k in seller's agent fees, $4k in closing costs, $1500 per month in mortgage payments and basic utilities for however long it has to be on the market, a few thousand for an inspection + the buyer's independent inspection and respective demands (that can be a big rabbit hole: discovering unknown electrical fuckupery/foundation horrors/wood rot/whatever)... so, it's not like I'm really asking "Which number is bigger, 160 or 180?" because of all the factors. :) The actual net of each situation would be pretty close.

I'm not insanely wealthy but I did inherit a nearly complete untouched retirement fund so I am not hurting. And it's not 30-40k, as broken out above. Maybe it's $5k - and maybe that's worth it for me to devote my time to finding a house for my fiance and I for the next 10-20 years, or worth it to have the time to plan a nice wedding (we're past the point of no return so there's no delaying it now)

I declined his offer, though, and will do some basic updates with the help of family. Thanks, thread!

The dude tried to tell you an inspection would be "a few thousand?" He's trying to steal the house from you, I hope when you declined you told him to pound sand. Even with a radon test the inspection shouldn't be more than $700-$800 at most I would think, depending where you live. And that's the high end.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Let's deconstruct this:

drat Bananas posted:

The guy's argument is that on a $180k sale I will be paying (iirc) $11k in seller's agent fees

Agent fees of 6% are typical. On 180k that's $10,800, so that's reasonable.

quote:

$4k in closing costs,

It is not a given that you will pay the buyer's closing costs for him. Sometimes this is negotiated, but it's up to you whether you want to accept an offer that includes this or not.

quote:

$1500 per month in mortgage payments and basic utilities for however long it has to be on the market

Utilities on a vacant house should be very small (if you choose to leave them on, they're not being used) or nonexistent (if you have them shut off, which makes it harder to show the house). At the very least you should shut off phone, garbage, cable/sattelite, and set the thermostat to not heat or cool the house. You will have to float the mortgage payments, though, and that's worth considering in your calculus. But the assumption he is making is that you won't get offers or sell the house for many months; I think that's a false assumption given you are also operating on the basis of offering the house at a price as low as the lowest recent comp sale in your whole city. If your price is attractive you will attract bids within days, not months. And you can always lower the offered price if two or three weeks go by without an offer.

quote:

a few thousand for an inspection + the buyer's independent inspection and respective demands

You can pay for your own inspection if you want, that should be a few hundred dollars. The buyer should pay for his own inspection, although again you can at your option accept a demand to pay for it (but I wouldn't).

quote:

(that can be a big rabbit hole: discovering unknown electrical fuckupery/foundation horrors/wood rot/whatever)...

It's true that there may be issues that affect the value of the house. Whether or not to fix them is up to you: you must disclose them to buyers, if you know about them, and then it's between you and the buyer to negotiate. If you're offering the house at below market price because you know it's not in perfect condition, then you have already built these things into the price and don't have to accept demands to fix things. On the other hand, fixing things makes the house more attractive to buyers, and you may decide to accede to the demands of a buyer whose offer you have already accepted, rather than let them walk and go back onto the market. This is all up to you, and not a given.

quote:

So, it's not like I'm really asking "Which number is bigger, 160 or 180?" because of all the factors. :) The actual net of each situation would be pretty close.

I think it's premature to conclude that the net between your two options will be very close. Consider that this investor is probably doing the same calculation to decide if its worth his time to buy, fix up, and flip this house. He thinks he can make a significant profit at $160k: if he's right, then you probably could too, e.g., it'd be well worth your time to put the house on the market.

It seems you're planning to do some basic upgrades and then put the house up for sale. I think this is a good plan, especially if you put it up for sale a little later in the year (prime selling time is in the summer, the winter months are the bottom, so although you have to float the mortgage it might be worth it to wait till the spring to put the house up for sale).

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
I am surprised you guys continue to bandy about the 6% commission is typical. I've spoken with 5+ RE agents this week about putting our house on the market, and have not had a single one say more then 5%(thats 2.5% for the seller's agent, 2.5% for the buyers agent). Perhaps you guys are all in a particular area of the country, but in new england, it is nearly ALWAYS 5%...

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Dijkstra posted:

The dude tried to tell you an inspection would be "a few thousand?" He's trying to steal the house from you, I hope when you declined you told him to pound sand. Even with a radon test the inspection shouldn't be more than $700-$800 at most I would think, depending where you live. And that's the high end.
No, not just the inspection, the "+ the buyer's inspection and respective demands" bit was included in that portion. Like every homeowner in Texas, I am expecting at least some problems with the foundation, which can be a few thousand to fix. There is a very large crack up the side of the house, some seriously eroded soil along that side, and various interior cracks in the ceiling. My realtor also noticed wood rot on both chimneys, the bricks need tuckpointing (or something?) and other stuff buyers will hate that have nothing to do with the laminate countertops and ugly linoleum. Yaaaaay.

Leperflesh: Thanks for clarifying the breakdown, that makes sense. I have kept the utilities to a basic water/electric/gas for 3 months now and that usually comes out to about $150-200/month with no one living there and the thermostat set to 55. :-/

Anyway, no need for more advice for me regarding this 160 offer, guys. I already told the guy no.

lord1234 posted:

I am surprised you guys continue to bandy about the 6% commission is typical. I've spoken with 5+ RE agents this week about putting our house on the market, and have not had a single one say more then 5%(thats 2.5% for the seller's agent, 2.5% for the buyers agent). Perhaps you guys are all in a particular area of the country, but in new england, it is nearly ALWAYS 5%...

I would guess that is because properties cost so much more in that area that that % is worth working for.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

As a side note, buyers tend to significantly underestimate the cost of repairs and remodeling anyway, which is also why remodeling typically only recovers 75% at best of the cost when selling a home.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Update: Mortgage got approved, but most of the downpayment is coming from cash sources, and proving I have it to the lender is a loving nightmare. I have ten grand in the bank, but I can't just give them a bank statement because I deposited the whole works in one go. I have to prove where it all came from beforehand because the government is scared of money laundering, but half of it is from selling crap over Kijiji and I didn't make up bills of sale. It is crazy.

*Edit* Basically, my broker says the bank won't let me pay for my down payment with cash. There has to be a paper trail, and mine is more like a paper dotted line.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 27, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's not really money laundering they're worried about all that much: it's that maybe you borrowed that money from someone (a family member, for example). They want to make sure your down payment isn't additional debt.

Maybe there's records on Kijiji of your past sales?

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

Leperflesh posted:

Maybe there's records on Kijiji of your past sales?

This is what we did. Along with getting a notarized letter from my mother-in-law saying that she was giving us a gift (not a loan) of $X dollars towards our down payment, I just printed out some craigslist listings of a couple of big ticket items that we sold for some more down payment money, It's not ironclad, but I was able to prove that I was selling about $1500 worth of stuff and I had a corresponding $1500 deposit in my bank account.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Update: Mortgage got approved, but most of the downpayment is coming from cash sources, and proving I have it to the lender is a loving nightmare. I have ten grand in the bank, but I can't just give them a bank statement because I deposited the whole works in one go. I have to prove where it all came from beforehand because the government is scared of money laundering, but half of it is from selling crap over Kijiji and I didn't make up bills of sale. It is crazy.

*Edit* Basically, my broker says the bank won't let me pay for my down payment with cash. There has to be a paper trail, and mine is more like a paper dotted line.

You mention Kijiji, are you by chance in Canada? If yes, then why are you buying right now when prices are just beginning to fall, and you don't even have enough money saved for a proper downpayment?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

iv46vi posted:

You mention Kijiji, are you by chance in Canada? If yes, then why are you buying right now when prices are just beginning to fall, and you don't even have enough money saved for a proper downpayment?

I live in Newfoundland. Housing prices are not predicted to fall here for quite some time, they are starting to level off a little, but I'm still on the right side of the slope as they are predicted to go up this year. I am also in a university city with a huge shortage of rental properties. My mortgage on this place will actually be significantly lower (To the tune of $150) than my rent on a basement apartment now. While I am well aware that there are other expenses associated with owning a home, at least I am not paying my landlord's mortgage like I am now. The rental situation is actually a huge issue here, and will not change anytime soon as the University is not going to suddenly close.

On top of that, I got a really good deal, about ten grand under what the house is assessed at, because the gentleman who owns it now is disabled and can no longer go up and down the stairs. He just wanted to sell so he can move into an assisted living home.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 27, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I live in Newfoundland. Housing prices are not predicted to fall here for quite some time, they are starting to level off a little, but I'm still on the right side of the slope as they are predicted to go up this year. I am also in a university city with a huge shortage of rental properties. My mortgage on this place will actually be significantly lower (To the tune of $150) than my rent on a basement apartment now. While I am well aware that there are other expenses associated with owning a home, at least I am not paying my landlord's mortgage like I am now. The rental situation is actually a huge issue here, and will not change anytime soon as the University is not going to suddenly close.

On top of that, I got a really good deal, about ten grand under what the house is assessed at, because the gentleman who owns it now is disabled and can no longer go up and down the stairs. He just wanted to sell so he can move into an assisted living home.

I have to say, there's a lot of scary words in this post.

-You should not choose to buy based on what you think the market is going to do (despite what iv46vi says) because your decision to buy a house should primarily be about your desire to own a house, not your desire to make a wise investment (because houses are terrible investments). I mean yes, it'd be foolish to buy if you're sure the market is about to plunge... but real estate prices are not easy to predict and economic factors are even harder to predict. You're much better at predicting your own finances and life decisions going forward (and nobody is perfect even at predicting those).
-"at least I'm not paying my landlord's mortgage" is the siren call of the predatory lender. Whether or not you're paying your landlord's mortgage is completely immaterial to deciding whether to buy vs. rent. This is mostly a decision about the lifestyle you want (and whether you can afford it). The amount of equity you'll have in ten years, vs. what you would have had if you'd continued to rent for ten years, is probably quite small. Especially if you're making a minimal down payment.
-An assessment (for tax purposes) is not a good indicator of a house's market value. I hope you got an appraisal.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be buying. I am saying the reasons you've just given in this post do not inspire confidence.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 27, 2013

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Zack_Gochuck posted:

The report you cite is from Nov. of last year and it already has "excess inventory in the local resale market and demand for housing moderating". Spring is when most people start putting houses up for sale. The excessive inventory will make it more of a buyer's market. Also, most university rental houses empty out in March, so that's the time to look for those.

Potential rental income makes you see dollar signs, but you ain't there yet. Is the house close enough to university to be reasonably priced for student rent? Have you actually priced out insurance on a rental property(it's a fun exercise)? Why doesn't current owner just rent out the house himself and live on rent money in the assisted housing? He took your under assessment offer from a person who hasn't have lined up financing and it didn't raise any red flags?

It just seems like you are rushing into this. If you have to sell things just to afford a downpayment (which i hope is low), then how are you going to pay closing costs?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Panthrax posted:

Anyone know of any services in the Pittsburgh/PA area that help disabled people find houses that will work for them? A buddy of mine has been looking for months for a one floor house with garage on the same level. Due to the hills in Pittsburgh, he hasn't been able to find anything that will work for him. He's not sure if his realtor just sucks, or if it's fairly impossible to find a house like this in Pitt. I've done some Googling and everything I've seen was for helping people find places that are completely disabled and on Social Security or fixed incomes and whatnot, which doesn't pertain to him.

Even if there aren't a lot of options, that is not typically something that is very hard for a Realtor to do. Unless the Pitts. market is really crazy I would maybe consider finding another Realtor because I do searches like that all the time for clients and it takes, like, 5 minutes to find at least SOMETHING if you're not wedded to one specific area.

If your friend is focused on a particular neighborhood or two, however, that could be the case that there just arent many options. I've lived in PA and I know the houses are sort of contingent on the landscape, so it could be a legitimate issue, but still, the Realtor should be letting him know this. Again, might not be the Realtor's fault but the options should at least be on the table.

Is he only looking in one place or...?

drat Bananas posted:

He's an investor, he's not making an offer if he doesn't think he's coming out like a champ. You know why he's making the offer now? Because he knows that once you get Realtor or at least see other offers you probably won't accept his wittle babby offer. The Texas market is picking up right now (in Austin it is loving bonkers) and it's getting very hard for investors to make a profit in the open market, so they're trying to jump on homes before they get there.

Don't choose all the renovations yourself. You may want to work with a professional to come in and cite what sorts of upgrades they would recommend for increasing the value of the home as much and as cheaply as possible, or just work with a Realtor if you're planning to do so already. This is one area where you can make a LOT of money and there's no reason not to work with someone who knows what they are doing to maximize your chances of adding thousands in value to your home.

Just be sure you are spending money in smart places, that actually will increase the value, don't just throw it at whatever. Likewise, staging your home can make a huge difference in the overall value and is very cheap compared to how much easier it can make to sell your home quickly and for a profit. If your home is huge and desirable, stage it, don't try to sell it looking like a barren wasteland (unless you are selling to investors, they won't care as much).

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 28, 2013

Kilted Yaksman
Sep 25, 2003

I'm supposed to close on my first house on March 12. I just found out yesterday that the seller wants to rent back the house for the first month or so, because the house they're moving into won't be vacant until then. Is there anything I should watch out for before agreeing to this?

Also, how much rent should I ask for? I'm thinking at least the amount of the mortgage payment, which is not too bad because I put 30% down.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Kilted Yaksman posted:

I'm supposed to close on my first house on March 12. I just found out yesterday that the seller wants to rent back the house for the first month or so, because the house they're moving into won't be vacant until then. Is there anything I should watch out for before agreeing to this?

Also, how much rent should I ask for? I'm thinking at least the amount of the mortgage payment, which is not too bad because I put 30% down.

In my opinion, I would NOT do this. If they gently caress the place up, they are only responsible for their deposit and or any money you can get out of it in a lawsuit. IMHO, it's your place, they're out. They set the closing date and signed papers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

lord1234 posted:

In my opinion, I would NOT do this. If they gently caress the place up, they are only responsible for their deposit and or any money you can get out of it in a lawsuit. IMHO, it's your place, they're out. They set the closing date and signed papers.

I dunno, this is usually a common thing from a seller moving into a new house.

When we moved, we rented the place from the new owners for 30 days so we could find a house, secure financing, etc. We had to pay what the buyer's escrow payment (mortgage+taxes+insurance) on a per-day basis. The buyers agent did an initial walk-though on closing and then a walk through when we left to make sure everything was left as it was supposed to be. There were forms signed and pictures taken to protect the buyers.

We made this clear before even accepting offers and it was part of the contingencies but it shouldn't be anything that your agent hasn't dealt with before. If this wasn't in the initial contingencies then you have the right to say no, but it's your call.