Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Good thing he already has the perfect pilot episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I...wow. That was kind of out of left field, huh?

I think it looks good. It looks just like the strip, only in color and moving. Voices are going to be weird having built these characters in our heads over the years.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
Voicework is the big question here, but I like the animation. Hoping this is the beginning of the comeback.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life
I think hearing Ray's voice is going to gently caress me up for sure (assuming this actually gets made, who knows if it will)

Although Beef is probably a harder character to nail down, all mumbling

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
What the balls? :stare:

My brain had trouble processing that blog post.

And yeah, hearing those voices is gonna be hard to handle.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I really like the animation style. Well, I don't like it, but it has that slightly cold, sterile feel that Onstad's Adobe Illustrator artwork has. Might be a touch nicer / closer to the strip if the outlines were a little thicker, though.

The voices'll struggle to keep everyone happy. I'm sure Onstad will have really sweated them but because Achewood is, in some ways, only about the voices / personalities, it'll be difficult unless there's some Simpsons-level quality going on (not that I'm a giant Simpsons fan, but it most cases it's difficult to imagine any of the characters having anything but the voice they do). It kinda feels like the problem Monkey Island 3 had - how can a few not-too-bad-but-not-too-great voiceover artists ever match the years worth of (very personal) characterisation people had been projecting into something?

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

That animation looks just like The Drinky Crow Show, which says only good things to me. Hopefully the voice acting is as spot on as that (and hopefully it doesn't get cancelled immediately like Drinky Crow did. :()

EDIT: if someone would be so kind, I would kill for a gif of that gothic dance.

Maduo fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 25, 2013

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
The announcement got me reading the Achewood archives again, and goddamn the wedding arc has some fantastic lines in it.

"Excuse me, Father, for I am Ray Smuckles."

"Herb Alpert. Now THAT is pussy shavin' music."

EDIT:
"No man I'm just sayin' years from now me all crawlin' around blind on the linoleum with some eighty dollar tube hangin' outta my Johnson. My lady all dead six days in the bathtub and the guy from the county comes and checks the Yes box after Is It A Shame."

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 25, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah, every time someone links an Achewood I like (or mentions Achewood) I inevitably end up reading the archives for hours. If being an animated show is what it takes for us to get Achewood back then I am loving all for it.

(Also that Achewood animation test may be the best thing Shmorky's done. Man that looks good.)

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Is this for loving real?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I am amazed, and also excited. The animation looks a little goofy but like - jeez, more Achewood. Achewood on TV. Maybe good? Probably good.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I always thought Achewood would work as a live-action series with humans. I don't think a great deal is lost if the characters aren't all soft toys and cats and if you don't have the Underground and so on. It can still be surreal and well-written.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
As long as this show ends up somewhere where it isn't censored, it could be pretty great.
Sadly, that just leaves HBO and Showtime and I doubt either of them are particularly interested.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
This...pleases me. A lot.

I couldn't place the animation right away, then I realized it reminded me of Lucy, the Daughter of the Devil, which looked great.

Although it is bullshit that Ray slaps Beef in the Whiskey-A-La-Mood sampler part - that should be Teodor. Am I supposed to believe this is some sort of MAGIC xylophone?

Also I would immediately pay $20 for a Tenmen shirt.

Maduo posted:

That animation looks just like The Drinky Crow Show, which says only good things to me. Hopefully the voice acting is as spot on as that (and hopefully it doesn't get cancelled immediately like Drinky Crow did. :()

Yeah, that too! That makes sense considering the Onstad-Millionaire connection.

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 25, 2013

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Cloks posted:

As long as this show ends up somewhere where it isn't censored, it could be pretty great.
Sadly, that just leaves HBO and Showtime and I doubt either of them are particularly interested.

I see no reason this couldn't be on Comedy Central or Adult swim, there's nothing in Achewood worse than what gets shown on South Park. Who cares if gently caress is bleeped out? It's usually uncensored on the DVD after anyways.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Man, Ray's gut looks huge in motion.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Fruits of the sea posted:

Look, he didn't invent sour cream, it invented isself...

As for the animation, I personally would go with something besides that hokey, Veggie Tales-type 3D. It looks like we've stumbled into an Achewood Virtual Reality Simulator from 1995.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
What really bugs me is that Ray's gut looks like he has Philippe's Tommy the Tummy -- it doesn't really move with the rest of him.

and that's my post about a cartoon cat's gut. Thanks for sending me to college Mom

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Well he does eat a wedge of brie in the manner of pie.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I was prepared to be disappointed when I clicked on this thread, because for about a year the only posts in this thread have been reminiscing about old comics. So the animation looks great, though the clips aren't really long enough to tell. Really, I can't wait for even a scene from the cartoon instead of some slapped together clips, but it's still great news. I can't wait. I'm not concerned about the voices at all, just that the feel of Achewood might be difficult to capture in movement.

I hope Onstad's "I'm back!" isn't yet another quick flash of motivation. I know what it's like to be the guy who has depression, and get a surge of re-interest in things that depression has killed interest in that doesn't last, and he's had little short-lived rebirths of Achewood in the past few years. But actually showing stuff off and getting on a plane to do things shows promise.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I wonder how close to a final look that animation is? Onstad says he's in the process of pitching it and I'd imagine that's test footage for the purpose of a pitch presentation.

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW

He wasn't born with the gene that says "stop eatin' prosciutto."

BJPaskoff posted:

I was prepared to be disappointed when I clicked on this thread, because for about a year the only posts in this thread have been reminiscing about old comics. So the animation looks great, though the clips aren't really long enough to tell. Really, I can't wait for even a scene from the cartoon instead of some slapped together clips, but it's still great news. I can't wait. I'm not concerned about the voices at all, just that the feel of Achewood might be difficult to capture in movement.

I hope Onstad's "I'm back!" isn't yet another quick flash of motivation. I know what it's like to be the guy who has depression, and get a surge of re-interest in things that depression has killed interest in that doesn't last, and he's had little short-lived rebirths of Achewood in the past few years. But actually showing stuff off and getting on a plane to do things shows promise.

I'm with you on both points, but I think a team of collaborators will help remove the burden and crushing distress he felt under his own obligation to stay fresh. I mean, I don't want to put Chris on the couch or anything here, I'm just optimistic about this new turn of events!

gwaaargh fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 25, 2013

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I swear, if Ray's and Roast Beef's voices don't sound exactly as I've always imagined them, I'm giving up hope on Achewood forever. <:mad:>

For real, though, this seems promising. If Onstad's still got the touch, I know I'll enjoy the cartoon.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
This is cool news, but I hope they work on the animation a bit, because it looks kinda bad the way it is.

Also, I just realized that I have never actually considered what their voices would sound like, so I guess I'm the only person who isn't worrying about that!

e: vvv They should really try to get David Lynch to guest-direct any scenes with Cartilage Head.

Freak Futanari fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 25, 2013

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Animated Cartilage Head is going to be the best thing I have ever seen, I can feel it in my BALLS.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

This is the last thing I ever expected. Time to reread Achewood all the way from the drum machine manual.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Recently I've been veering between wanting to see Ray and Roast Beef influence the future of the GOF and understanding that I'm missing the point.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Tao Jones posted:

Look, he didn't invent sour cream, it invented isself...

Cloks posted:

Well he does eat a wedge of brie in the manner of pie.

gwaaargh posted:

He wasn't born with the gene that says "stop eatin' prosciutto."

I love this thread :allears:

Really hope the show comes to fruition.

Pope Guilty posted:

Recently I've been veering between wanting to see Ray and Roast Beef influence the future of the GOF and understanding that I'm missing the point.

The Gulf of Finland? Gamers Outreach Foundation :confused:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 25, 2013

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I think "Optimism! Maybe he decides to have optimism!" best sums up my reaction to this news. :v:

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Onstad's hinted at new media for a while now, I'm glad to see that he's taking a big swing for the fences.

Maduo posted:

Deathlove posted:

That makes sense considering the Onstad-Millionaire connection.

I feel like Adult Swim is really the only place this show can land, especially if he refuses to let his universe get hosed with by a network. If all of this falls apart due to creative differences with execs, I'm okay with that. The fact he's giving this an honest shot at all is great.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

grilldos posted:

Onstad's hinted at new media for a while now, I'm glad to see that he's taking a big swing for the fences.

I feel like Adult Swim is really the only place this show can land, especially if he refuses to let his universe get hosed with by a network. If all of this falls apart due to creative differences with execs, I'm okay with that. The fact he's giving this an honest shot at all is great.

Adult Swim is 10 years ago in terms of pushing that envelope.

Go watch Archer, which is not on Adult Swim. Other networks are doing it, especially since Comedy Central decided they could push things all the way to the edge and nobody really seemed to have a huge problem.

There are a whole bunch of shows out there, animated or not, that are being given free reign to ruin themselves or succeed these days and if Achewood is going to be a real thing it can live on a whole lot of networks at 11pm and be just fine as long as it gets ratings.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Telex posted:

Go watch Archer, which is not on Adult Swim. Other networks are doing it, especially since Comedy Central decided they could push things all the way to the edge and nobody really seemed to have a huge problem.

There are a whole bunch of shows out there, animated or not, that are being given free reign to ruin themselves or succeed these days and if Achewood is going to be a real thing it can live on a whole lot of networks at 11pm and be just fine as long as it gets ratings.

Yeah. A lot of channels are actively courting that niche, like FX and IFC. Even Fox is gunning for it -- they hired some former Adult Swim execs and are doing adaptations of stuff like Axe Cop.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

The Gulf of Finland? Gamers Outreach Foundation :confused:

The Great Outdoor Fight!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Telex posted:

Hell, NBC is doing so badly these days that they'd probably air it uncut as long as it pulled better than a 1.2 in the ratings. :v:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
We all know how this is going to go. We'll all be gung-ho about the first few episodes, and then wander off as the voices don't match what's in our head. Then a year later, your mother emails you with " LOL did you see this funny cat cartoon!!!?"

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Telex posted:

Adult Swim has been doing fantastic poo poo like The Heart, She Holler. You can't distill Achewood's creative reach to just "edgy". It is this weird unique hybrid that appeals to both the upper cultural echelon and Joe Everyman. What Onstad needs is for a network to trust him with total creative freedom and push forms to the edge.

He should pitch it to Netflix. This is the type of thing they need as they continue to try and diversify their original programming.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Everyone's forgetting IFC. An Achewood show seems kind of their speed and it would pair well with Portlandia or something.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

robot roll call posted:

Everyone's forgetting IFC. An Achewood show seems kind of their speed and it would pair well with Portlandia or something.

They just picked up an animated show (Out There), so I don't know how hip they'd be to add another.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I did forget IFC.

Deathlove posted:

They just picked up an animated show (Out There), so I don't know how hip they'd be to add another.

It's going to take a while to produce the show, and they can always do what every other cable channel does now and stagger the active fresh programming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
This is how I know achewood fans are good people. Nobody running around in circles tearing their hair out yelling about how the notion of an animated series virtually defecates I say DEFECATES upon the pristine canonical source material (of course this meaning only select archives up to and not including the following "shunned" years, etc). Just eager speculation and positivity and enthusiasm. I think this thing looks great and I look forward to watching it wherever it ends up!