Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
And it did end on a bombshell - I didn't know Richard Briers had died. The Good Life was the first British TV show I ever saw. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I wish the GT86 was made the new SIARPC. It'd make laps a whole lot more entertaining.

Edit: Suppose it would be "moderately priced" by comparison of the Kia. :(

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

That was a fantastic episode. One of the best ones I've seen. If only I knew who the guest was. The Range Rover segment was good, but the old people car was loving great.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 25, 2013

AzizAnstarmie
Dec 17, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

The car for old people segment was fantastic.

Was this the last episode of the series?

Yes, aired today.

Never before have I seen some require eye protection while sewing.

e: I'm an idiot. This isn't the last episode. There is a two part special left.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
The cinematography (that's a word right?) on the range rover segment was amazing. And that driverless truck was awesome too.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B
Was really looking forward to the review of the new Range Rover, until it turned into another "drive a range rover through a desert" challenge, which has been done about 3 times so far by Top Gear in recent memory. Hell, it was only the last series when James drove the Evoque in an almost identical setting. Does Land Rover pay them to review the vehicles the exact same way every time to prove they haven't gotten too posh, or are they really that hard up for ideas? If they wanted to demonstrate what the range rover is capable of, they could have at least made it funny/entertaining by tackling suburban environment obstacles, while splicing in the hill climbing scenes for contrast. Then again, Land Rover might not be too keen of Top Gear making fun of their target market.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

It sometimes felt like the retirees weren't always in on the joke, but the brake pedal just got funnier every time.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Terramax was :stare: , especially when James just stood there and trusted it to stop. I know driverless vehicles have been around for a while with things like the Grand Challenge and that Pike's Peak race (as well as Top Gear's own segment with the BMW Track Trainer), but I didn't realise they'd got the technology down to that level of packaging. The lidar turret was the only obvious sign that the truck was unmanned, compared to the racks of gear previous autonomous cars had bolted to them.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I'm curious, how much does the TerraMax cost, and how much does the US army have to pay out for a single soldiers' death?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And how vulnerable is the lidar turret to a single sniper?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Data Graham posted:

Or a bucket placed over it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Data Graham posted:

My guess is less than the head of a real driver in the front seat.

Besides, an rpg round to the front of the truck is more likely and more effective than someone camping in the hills waiting to take out supply convoy with a single rifle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's not something the military would use in that state. Most likely it was made for a DARPA competition. Also, all the costs that make up training and support structure for one soldier adds up to a lot.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

That's not something the military would use in that state. Most likely it was made for a DARPA competition. Also, all the costs that make up training and support structure for one soldier adds up to a lot.

Still cheaper than half the crap we field along with them. And longer lasting, too.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Residency Evil posted:

The car for old people segment was fantastic.

Was this the last episode of the series?

The bit where they were defusing the airbag had me in stitches. Even the side cutters were sweating!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

KozmoNaut posted:

The bit where they were defusing the airbag had me in stitches. Even the side cutters were sweating!

It's okay, they can just edit that out.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I genuinely lost it when I saw they had taken the airbag out of the dash and just friggin' glued it to the rear bumper.

Lazareth
Dec 28, 2004
haha, i'm not an '05, take that!

Data Graham posted:

I genuinely lost it when I saw they had taken the airbag out of the dash and just friggin' glued it to the rear bumper.

If you look closely some of the spray water they put on Jeremy's face to make him look worried ended up on the end of the wire snipper. It was wet.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Ak Gara posted:

I'm curious, how much does the TerraMax cost, and how much does the US army have to pay out for a single soldiers' death?

Depending on how much insurance you pay for, up to a half million.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

If you liked the terramax there is a nova episode about the race it competed in sponsored by DARPA.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/23347

Well crap, haven't watched hulu in a while and it looks like you have to watch 15 minutes of comercials for an hour of TV. Netflix has it on streaming.

Alighieri fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 26, 2013

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
That's 1 of the funniest episodes I have seen yet. The end of the old person car episode had me laughing so hard I was crying. On the previous episode Clarkson was talking about water and sodium dealers? What's that about?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Is it wrong that I think the old people's car was kind of a good idea. New cars are too complex

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

sbaldrick posted:

New cars are too complex
I mentioned this earlier in the thread when they had the LFA on the show, but Lexus' in-car system is a loving joke. You basically need that Navigation Assist feature to have a real human enter the destination for you because the system is so incredibly complicated otherwise. My grandparents are loving lost when it comes to doing anything other than turning the windshield wipers on in their new GS 350.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

dundun posted:

Was really looking forward to the review of the new Range Rover, until it turned into another "drive a range rover through a desert" challenge, which has been done about 3 times so far by Top Gear in recent memory. Hell, it was only the last series when James drove the Evoque in an almost identical setting. Does Land Rover pay them to review the vehicles the exact same way every time to prove they haven't gotten too posh, or are they really that hard up for ideas? If they wanted to demonstrate what the range rover is capable of, they could have at least made it funny/entertaining by tackling suburban environment obstacles, while splicing in the hill climbing scenes for contrast. Then again, Land Rover might not be too keen of Top Gear making fun of their target market.

Yes, he did drive the Evoque through Death Valley, but this was not just some sand and a bit of rocks, it was actually done really well, plus the cool truck he had to race that kept..trucking along?

But not everyone is going to like it. :cheers:

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Aw BBC America censored out the cock from the Kia Rugby bit.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I mentioned this earlier in the thread when they had the LFA on the show, but Lexus' in-car system is a loving joke. You basically need that Navigation Assist feature to have a real human enter the destination for you because the system is so incredibly complicated otherwise. My grandparents are loving lost when it comes to doing anything other than turning the windshield wipers on in their new GS 350.

I thought that was strictly for the LFA? That is horrible if that comes standard on any car period.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

b0nes posted:

I thought that was strictly for the LFA? That is horrible if that comes standard on any car period.
Yep it's the same system.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Same problem as, well... most things Japanese. Designed by engineers. Not fit for human use.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

b0nes posted:

That's 1 of the funniest episodes I have seen yet. The end of the old person car episode had me laughing so hard I was crying. On the previous episode Clarkson was talking about water and sodium dealers? What's that about?

Actually it was sodium and eels salesmen. Due to the extremely powerful unions in the UK and the many archaic laws and bylaws associated with them, in the late 1800s a number of unions chose to band together. Thus, the British International Grand Association of Sodium Sellers and the British Eel Labourers Logistical Extension of Northern Demands together became one of the most powerful unions in the UK, under the name Combined Union of Northern Tradesmen.

It seems a bit off-the-wall, but it's all perfectly logical.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 26, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

Actually it was sodium and eels salesmen. Due to the extremely powerful unions in the UK and the many archaic laws and bylaws associated with them, in the late 1800s a number of unions chose to band together. Thus, the British International Grand Association of Sodium Sellers and the British Eel Labourers Logistical Extension of Northern Demands together became one of the most powerful unions in the UK, under the name Combined Union of Northern Tradesmen.

It seems a bit off-the-wall, but it's all perfectly logical.
Those are the ones from the north east, though. The Combined Union of Northern Tradesmen wasn't that powerful until they also absorbed the Trent/Wrexham Association of Tanners, which happened at the turn of the 20th century. They could have been even bigger had they incorporated the mariner's societies from the east coast (such as in Whitby), but these were mainly for trawler crews and so on, and both the unions had a long-standing aversion to people associating them with fish.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yeah, I sat in an Avalon and the dash was a sea of buttons. I don't know if it had the same nav system (probably not), but it was kind of insane.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I had to look up "bloody nora" on the internet.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
So it's just a name they don't actually sell eels and sodium.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yes they do, that's why they need the separate compartments. Every car sold in the UK has to have those, they managed to get it into legislation sometime around the mid-70s.

Gotta be honest, when they started introducing the old people car segment I was slightly disappointed May had nothing to do with it, but it quickly won me over and the last feature more than made up for any lack of reasonable building of things there may have been. Looking forward to the two Africa episodes as well, the Botswana special was fantastic.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yes they do, that's why they need the separate compartments. Every car sold in the UK has to have those, they managed to get it into legislation sometime around the mid-70s.
Technically he's right, they were only the union for the people processing the eels, people actually selling them (as in retail) came under the remit of Drayton Operations National and General, as in the village of Market Drayton. Same thing for sodium extraction/processing, the mutual society for that (Bradford Undercut Mutual Society, specifically) always resisted any connection with the union for salesmen, because they believed they were a scientific, rather than sales, body.

Honestly, the demarcation bullshit with British unions has always been loving atrocious. You can never be sure if you're stepping on someone else's toes unless you read up on about four other groups' charters.

Seriously, though. If you look in the boot of an E30 3-series, you'll see that there's a dip in the panelwork either side that forms a cavity about the size of a shoebox. That's only there because of the legislation, the prototypes failed UK type approval because of them not having sufficient volume, and they had to change the stampings (while it didn't matter for the rest of europe, it was easier to just make them all like that):

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
:psypop: that's actually a thing? I thought Top Gear just invented that because it's hilarious. I was laughing at the concept of an eel and sodium salesman, but it actually exists. Crazy.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

beedeebee posted:

:psypop: that's actually a thing? I thought Top Gear just invented that because it's hilarious. I was laughing at the concept of an eel and sodium salesman, but it actually exists. Crazy.

I'm still not entirely convinced that the British users are secretly colluding to play an elaborate joke on us all.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

keevo posted:

Aw BBC America censored out the cock from the Kia Rugby bit.

They took out the parts with Jeremy in them? :v:

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

beedeebee posted:

Ambitious, but rubbish.

KozmoNaut posted:

. Thus, the British International Grand Association of Sodium Sellers and the British Eel Labourers Logistical Extension of Northern Demands together became one of the most powerful unions in the UK, under the name Combined Union of Northern Tradesmen.

InitialDave posted:

Trent/Wrexham Association of Tanners

InitialDave posted:

Drayton Operations National and General

bennyfactor fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Welp, that was quite a brilliant co-operated joke. I have to applaud you Brits.
Although, the fact that I actually bought it also says something about you. If this was possible anywhere, it'd be :britain: