Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
The voice actors are going to have to be really amazing to nail Ray & Beef Chat, should be interesting. I'm excited, this came outta nowhere :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

I don't know how everyone else has it in their head, but to me Ray has always been Carey Means and sounds roughly like Frylock.

can't help it, that's just how it's gone for me.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Cautiously optimistic, but I feel like it's going to be really hard to translate.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Telex posted:

I don't know how everyone else has it in their head, but to me Ray has always been Carey Means and sounds roughly like Frylock.

can't help it, that's just how it's gone for me.

YES. I have always heard Ray as Frylock and Beef as Meatwad.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Javid posted:

Beef as Meatwad.

:crossarms:

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

tehloki posted:

This is how I know achewood fans are good people. Nobody running around in circles tearing their hair out yelling about how the notion of an animated series virtually defecates I say DEFECATES upon the pristine canonical source material (of course this meaning only select archives up to and not including the following "shunned" years, etc). Just eager speculation and positivity and enthusiasm. I think this thing looks great and I look forward to watching it wherever it ends up!

Because Onstad is heavily involved. If he wasn't I'm sure we'd see that behavior.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Man I was absolutely giddy when I read this news last night, and I severely hope this gets made. I'm not too worried about any of the voices but Philippe. Like, there are a lot of talented voice people and comedians who can pull off most of the voices (fingers crossed for Jon Benjamin and David Cross as Ray and Pat, respectively) but it might be tough to really nail Philippe! I'm sure they'l get it, but, still!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Maduo posted:

EDIT: if someone would be so kind, I would kill for a gif of that gothic dance.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

FunkyAl posted:

Man I was absolutely giddy when I read this news last night, and I severely hope this gets made. I'm not too worried about any of the voices but Philippe. Like, there are a lot of talented voice people and comedians who can pull off most of the voices (fingers crossed for Jon Benjamin and David Cross as Ray and Pat, respectively) but it might be tough to really nail Philippe! I'm sure they'l get it, but, still!

Personally, I'm hoping David Cross stays the hell away from this, but Jay Johnston as Lie Bot would be phenomenal.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Darthemed posted:

Personally, I'm hoping David Cross stays the hell away from this, but Jay Johnston as Lie Bot would be phenomenal.

I'd think David Cross would actually be an excellent Pat. He can come across as a big enough douchebag to pull it off spectacularly.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
See, I think Philipe would be one of the easier voices to cast. Many voice actors have done at least a few aloof, whimsical or naive young characters at some point.

Cornelius and Lyle probably won't be challenging to cast either.

Roast Beef seems he would definitely be the toughest. There is a lot to him. Ray right behind him. Though I must admit when I first started reading Achewood I sometimes imagined Ray as Big Smoke from GTA San Andreas.

Edit: John DiMaggio could potentially pull of a good Ray. Rob Paulsen as Todd could work too.

Foppish Yet Dashing fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 25, 2013

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I like how many channels people are saying would be likely to air this. Even just two years ago I think I'd only be able to say Adult Swim and Comedy Central, but the landscape for this kind of project has widened considerably.

You are a wonderful person.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Darthemed posted:

Jay Johnston as Lie Bot would be phenomenal.

Oh dear god that would be magnificent.

Tom Kenny would also be good as Todd.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Satorr posted:

Cornelius and Lyle probably won't be challenging to cast either.

Bobcat Goldthwait ain't doin much rightnow. I think he'd be an okay Lyle.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I will be astonished if we hear anything else from him in months, let alone the show even having a pilot. Real networks will not just wait for Onstad the next time he has a meltdown and goes into hermit mode.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
I'd like to hear Gary Anthony Williams as Beef. His Uncle Ruckus voice, down a half octave or so and mumblier would be almost exactly how I picture Beef sounding.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I will be astonished if we hear anything else from him in months, let alone the show even having a pilot. Real networks will not just wait for Onstad the next time he has a meltdown and goes into hermit mode.

I have high hopes, but this is roughly what I expect to actually happen.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Loving Life Partner posted:

The voice actors are going to have to be really amazing to nail Ray & Beef Chat, should be interesting. I'm excited, this came outta nowhere :D

It's not the acting that is at issue, though. It's all about the casting.

ManiacClown posted:

I'd think David Cross would actually be an excellent Pat. He can come across as a big enough douchebag to pull it off spectacularly.

...oh man, that is really good.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah, so they're not buying Onstad. They're buying Achewood. The rights to make your own show pretty much go in the can very quickly when you sign papers. If he puts up a fuss, they'll replace him or just shitcan the show and move on. Happens all the time.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Time for more posting our favorite Achewoods.

At my memorial, I want this blown up, and posted next to the picture of me on the board at the front door.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

"Hermit Mode" probably consisted of Onstad working with a ton of people to nail the look of the show, writing a pitch bible, working on scripts and scenarios for the show he's putting together (the rule of thumb is to have at least one pilot script complete, and to have thirteen potential episode plots for if the show is picked up) and finally working on that nineteen second clip, which needed models and backgrounds and animation and just all sorts of stuff. Did you think this clip just appeared out of thin air or something? Do you think when you pitch a show you just show up, throw an Achewood collection on a table, and then sit back while the president of FX counts out $500,000 in bills? Do you think Onstad is the only person involved in making a TV show? Is this a real thing that you think?

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I'm wondering how much time Onstad would otherwise have been putting into the comic he's been putting into the TV project the last little while. This isn't the sort of thing that appears from nowhere, and it's clear he's already got collaborators on this particular project. He did burn out once and never returned to a regular schedule afterwards, but I think people unfairly read "burnout" into the infrequency of his output since then. He has said he's made a point of turning Achewood into a hobby rather than a career like it was before his burnout.

And yeah- the network would be buying Achewood, not Onstad. Every episode would have an "Achewood created by Chris Onstad" slapped onto it or something but it'd remain to be seen how hands-on an involvement he'd actually have.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
I think I've said it before in this thread, but if there is a show, I hope it doesn't get the China, IL treatment. :smith:

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Satorr posted:

Though I must admit when I first started reading Achewood I sometimes imagined Ray as Big Smoke from GTA San Andreas.
I still imagine this to be honest. Would be pretty much perfect I feel.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

FunkyAl posted:

"Hermit Mode" probably consisted of Onstad working with a ton of people to nail the look of the show, writing a pitch bible, working on scripts and scenarios for the show he's putting together (the rule of thumb is to have at least one pilot script complete, and to have thirteen potential episode plots for if the show is picked up) and finally working on that nineteen second clip, which needed models and backgrounds and animation and just all sorts of stuff. Did you think this clip just appeared out of thin air or something? Do you think when you pitch a show you just show up, throw an Achewood collection on a table, and then sit back while the president of FX counts out $500,000 in bills? Do you think Onstad is the only person involved in making a TV show? Is this a real thing that you think?

It is very easy to think that Onstad has laid the minimal amount of groundwork and does not have the dedication or fortitude to go through with it beyond this point. The man has a hard time finishing anything he starts, and talks up some big thing every 6 months before going Howard Hughes again. I could easily see Onstad not showing up prepared enough for a pitch and being turned down.

Edit: Of course tons of people are involved in making a show. This is not a show in production yet. This is an 18 second clip that could be put together by an animation student based off extant material. In order to create a show, Onstad has to convince them it is worth their time and he also has to sign away his rights in order for them to fire him and continue production with someone else.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 25, 2013

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Ehh..I'm cautiously optimistic; I just hope the show doesn't turn into another China, IL.

Edit: beaten. But Neely's work had a lot of potential and got turned into "lol random monkeycheese" in the cartoon.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Okay then, did you just see a kid?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Potential derail, but what are you guys talking about with the China, IL treatment?
The change that I saw between the two was it took away the bleakness of the whole thing, centered it around the college and got rid of Babycake's friends. I guess effectively they turned some of the more serious parts and all the barely concealed abject despair into a more sitcom-y, mass audience ready show. It was still funny, it just wasn't the same thing.

So as not to derail this completely, Onstad has said what we all think about ketchup.
Only terrible Hanna-Barbera loving people prefer Hunts to Heinz.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Locus posted:

I think I've said it before in this thread, but if there is a show, I hope it doesn't get the China, IL treatment. :smith:

I'm not too familiar with Brad Neely's work beyond two or three YouTube videos I watched, but does his comic and/or YouTube videos ever have plot arcs? Trying to think of squeezing my favorite Achewood arcs into 11-minute episodes is hurting my head, but they might not have had much of a choice with China, IL. There's so much material to work with in Achewood.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm not too familiar with Brad Neely's work beyond two or three YouTube videos I watched, but does his comic and/or YouTube videos ever have plot arcs? Trying to think of squeezing my favorite Achewood arcs into 11-minute episodes is hurting my head, but they might not have had much of a choice with China, IL. There's so much material to work with in Achewood.

There was a four part proto-pilot that allows you to see how the transition kind of happened.
It's a very character driven show that switches around to reveal complexities in the plot and ties it nicely together using Babycake's introspection.
Something similar in the Achewood 'verse might be the dudes getting locked in a dumbwaiter and cutting between how they act and a knucklehead from old times who has to find and save them.
The haunted instrument and Ray's journey through Hell would probably also make a really decent two-part episode but I'm not sure how they'd directly reference Friendly's being in Hell.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It is very easy to think that Onstad has laid the minimal amount of groundwork and does not have the dedication or fortitude to go through with it beyond this point. The man has a hard time finishing anything he starts, and talks up some big thing every 6 months before going Howard Hughes again. I could easily see Onstad not showing up prepared enough for a pitch and being turned down.

Edit: Of course tons of people are involved in making a show. This is not a show in production yet. This is an 18 second clip that could be put together by an animation student based off extant material. In order to create a show, Onstad has to convince them it is worth their time and he also has to sign away his rights in order for them to fire him and continue production with someone else.

Every time a crummy nerd complains about the diminishing output in later Achewood seems to forget that he was producing this poo poo on a nigh-daily basis for almost ten years. It's not unheard of to be a little bit burnt out after producing the same thing in the same format for that long, and saying he doesn't have "dedication or fortitude" because of it seems uninformed and kinda lovely!

Anyway, a favorite of mine has always been the Subway Wars. I hope we see a lot of Pat, if the show gets greenlit. Pat is best.

FunkyAl fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 26, 2013

Chronicler of Dongs
Apr 22, 2003

~*~ Magic Mittens ~*~

I can't tell if I really like the style of the animated clip or I'm just happy to see new Achewood content. Either way, I can't wait to see more.

Clitch posted:

At my memorial, I want this blown up, and posted next to the picture of me on the board at the front door.

This is the strip I chose to be framed and autographed when that service was still offered in the shop way back when. I still think I made a good choice.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Cloks posted:

Potential derail, but what are you guys talking about with the China, IL treatment?
The change that I saw between the two was it took away the bleakness of the whole thing, centered it around the college and got rid of Babycake's friends. I guess effectively they turned some of the more serious parts and all the barely concealed abject despair into a more sitcom-y, mass audience ready show. It was still funny, it just wasn't the same thing.

So as not to derail this completely, Onstad has said what we all think about ketchup.
Only terrible Hanna-Barbera loving people prefer Hunts to Heinz.

To me, they're just two completely different shows. Like they said "Here is a really original, storytelling style and strange set of characters. It seems to rely mostly on subtle humor and seemingly mundane character interaction... so how can we turn it into a cartoon like Superjail crossed with Ugly Americans?".

The soul of it is just completely gone. None of the characters are really sympathetic, at least in the episodes I watched. And where you say saw abject dispair and bleakness, I saw depth and interesting philosophy beyond the humor. To me a lot of the Baby Cakes shorts were uplifting.

*edit* Also I think the art style sucks but I understand it's difficult to transition something like that to TV.

*edit2* I view Onstad and Neely's humor as being somewhat similar, in the sense that the things they make are not what you expect. They're unique voices. If you said to someone: "Make a funny voiceover for all of the first Harry Potter movie", I'd expect something on the level of Seth McFarlane, or a bad attempt at MST3K style. Instead we got a loving masterpiece that stands on its own in many ways as a great piece of art. But I feel like Neely + Adult Swim = Adult Swim.

Locus fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 26, 2013

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Locus posted:

And where you say saw abject despair and bleakness, I saw depth and interesting philosophy beyond the humor. To me a lot of the Baby Cakes shorts were uplifting.

I completely agree with this. I was talking about the Professor Brothers and how they're really lovely people who are kind of oblivious to it and content to just be that way.
Baby Cakes is great because his very fractured take on the world is also deep - he guides Steve through loss, understands how people have to lie to be happy and just tries to be an understanding person.

If Achewood ends up on [Adult Swim], I'd love to see some sort of creator crossover with it, Jackson Publick/Doc Hammer and Brad Neely. They all deal with depression in their works and the idea of suspended adolescence as a means of interaction with the world - it'd be cool to see them bounce those ideas off of each other.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Clitch posted:

In one of my favorites, Beef sums up my views on camping quite succinctly. :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I always heard Beef as a mumblier Frylock and Ray as Carl.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Maybe I'm crazy but I think Hannibal Buress would be a perfect Roast Beef.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
James Franco in Spring Breakers. That's what the kind of voice I imagine Ray has. And Kelsey Grammer as Fraiser for Cornelius.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Maybe I have a distinct lack of imagination, but I always heard Ray and Beef sounding very similar to each other, but with Ray employing more traditional diction.

Also dunno if this is top favorite ever, but its close:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10172007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

James Franco in Spring Breakers. That's what the kind of voice I imagine Ray has. And Kelsey Grammer as Fraiser for Cornelius.

Kelsey's voice is a bit too low baritone for Cornelius.