Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

This is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Duckjob posted:

Just a few shots around San Francisco

5D3_3001 by capacity4action, on Flickr

I really like this one. The colors make it look metallic. It just looks cool.

Originally posted this one in the Wildlife thread, but I was prompted by Whitezombi to post this in here as well:

Mr. Toad by ryantss, on Flickr

And, a bonus shot:

Eastbound by ryantss, on Flickr

Both recently dug up after going through my archive; they were taken with a PowerShot A80 in western Kansas a number of years ago.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Whitezombi posted:

The first one is excellent. The third doesn't do much for me.

I'm really happy with the first one and can't wait to get the color shots back from the lab. I don't know what it is about the third, I was all excited to set my camera up specifically to get that shot and then it's just so mediocre.

Dude, you are loving killing it lately with these.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sleeping by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Bay Morning by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

The Ocean by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

not sure which of the first two is better

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

atomicthumbs posted:

Sleeping by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

The Ocean by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

I really love the second one. That brighter patch of low mist is really nice and helps draw me in more. The first one is really gorgeous too, though.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

atomicthumbs posted:

For me the second one is the best.

I love the dreamy colors and the foreground draped in shadows. Makes a nice contrast.
That said yeah the subtle play of light of the first one is also nice, but when I saw them one after another the second one stole the show so to say.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
That third one owns.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

These are pretty sick but I feel like they don't stand on their own, they really need to be in sequence with other stuff.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Reprocessed an older one

_MG_0380-247-257 by spf3million, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Saint Fu posted:

Reprocessed an older one

:sbahj:

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

8th-samurai posted:

I'm really happy with the first one and can't wait to get the color shots back from the lab. I don't know what it is about the third, I was all excited to set my camera up specifically to get that shot and then it's just so mediocre.

Dude, you are loving killing it lately with these.

Thanks. I loving hate when that happens. So you shot it in color as well?

This is the best.

Saint Fu posted:

Reprocessed an older one

Fuuuuuuuuuck. :gizz:

Reichstag posted:

These are pretty sick but I feel like they don't stand on their own, they really need to be in sequence with other stuff.

Thanks! Something like this?

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 22, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, the consistency in tones from image to image makes each photo a lot more interesting.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Whitezombi posted:

Thanks! Something like this?

Looks good, though I think careful ordering can improve it even further. Maybe like this:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

edit: nevermind

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

10 Mile Coulee by TheOneTrueDevo, on Flickr

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

Saint Fu posted:

Reprocessed an older one

Good god, man. Be proud of this.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

nielsm posted:

Looks good, though I think careful ordering can improve it even further. Maybe like this:

Why is this better? Wouldn't it be better to group similar images together? I grouped them that way because they are directly related and are in a sequence. The obvious is the constant tones. Not so obvious maybe - The first set - the sun shining right to left and the long shadows. The second set - the pastelish color, the power line angle from left to right. I thought adding a close up more detailed shot in between the two landscapes made a more interesting sequence.

As usual Dread, your shots are fantastic.

I love the layers and the color.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Whitezombi posted:

Why is this better? Wouldn't it be better to group similar images together? I grouped them that way because they are directly related and are in a sequence. The obvious is the constant tones. Not so obvious maybe - The first set - the sun shining right to left and the long shadows. The second set - the pastelish color, the power line angle from left to right. I thought adding a close up more detailed shot in between the two landscapes made a more interesting sequence.

It's actually precisely that interruption from the close-ups that doesn't work for me. I thought it would work better to create a "continuous" landscape of otherwise disconnected pictures. In your arrangement, I could see that the pictures on each row were related in location/time, but they didn't seem to flow well together.
I shouldn't be the one to tell you how to arrange your own pictures, but if I received prints of those 6 (without instructions) I would probably make a 2x2 arrangement with two landscapes on the top, places so they roughly share a horizon, and two matching details on the bottom, then place the two remaining landscapes separately, again with a shared horizon.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
When I'm on a plane, I like to pretend I'm going into space.

Going into space? by sulakkalus, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Drewski posted:

Going into space? by sulakkalus, on Flickr

No one is going to space, mate.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Drewski posted:

Every once in a while, the news will exclaim “this man sent a camera on a helium balloon to space”. :downs:

Accusations that balloons are incapable of flight in the vacuum of space and that the photographs are therefore demonstrably not from space are met with “but the sky is black at the top and I can see the curvature of the Earth”. :smug:

So, by that definition, you are indeed an astronaut.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!

Clifton Suspension Bridge. by Clwn, on Flickr

I may have gone a bit over the top with the processing of this. And I didn't fix the CA.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

nielsm posted:

It's actually precisely that interruption from the close-ups that doesn't work for me. I thought it would work better to create a "continuous" landscape of otherwise disconnected pictures. In your arrangement, I could see that the pictures on each row were related in location/time, but they didn't seem to flow well together.
I shouldn't be the one to tell you how to arrange your own pictures, but if I received prints of those 6 (without instructions) I would probably make a 2x2 arrangement with two landscapes on the top, places so they roughly share a horizon, and two matching details on the bottom, then place the two remaining landscapes separately, again with a shared horizon.

Thanks. I appreciate your input. I want to hear the opinion of anyone who will give it. I'll experiment with the arrangement and see how I like it.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Whitezombi posted:

This is amazing.

Thanks! Its a reprocess of an image I couldn't get right back around Christmas.

I've been working on using curves and gradient filters to get things right in post. It's amazing how much it takes sometimes to get a RAW file looking even close to how you wanted.

Lake Superior by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Making a mental note to not stop down to f/22 with this lens ever again.

IMG_2701-2 by s-bothun, on Flickr

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."
Get yourself a neutral density filter. I generally rarely go below f8-f11 as almost a rule of thumb with almost every lens I own. I'm certainly not a landscape expert like most of the guys on this thread are, but you will notice barring the photos taken with large or medium format cameras most of the guys don't stray above f8 as usually anymore then that diffraction starts to creep in and soften the image the lens is producing. Obviously every lens is different but it's a good rule of thumb to use. Always a learning experience though. On a side note Ansel Adam's "The Camera," goes into this, and I'm sure the explanation is all over the web.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
The benefit of stopping down so much is to increase the depth of field so you can have the foreground and background in focus at the same time. Otherwise, yeah don't stop down so much.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Ferris Bueller posted:

Get yourself a neutral density filter. I generally rarely go below f8-f11 as almost a rule of thumb with almost every lens I own. I'm certainly not a landscape expert like most of the guys on this thread are, but you will notice barring the photos taken with large or medium format cameras most of the guys don't stray above f8 as usually anymore then that diffraction starts to creep in and soften the image the lens is producing. Obviously every lens is different but it's a good rule of thumb to use. Always a learning experience though. On a side note Ansel Adam's "The Camera," goes into this, and I'm sure the explanation is all over the web.

Yeah, I was reading exactly that from people on flickr discussion groups and whatnot after seeing how soft all of my images from today were. From my experience f/8 seems to be pretty sharp with this lens.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Depending on your focal length f8 is more than enough to get everything in focus. I try not to go above f10 (usually shoot at f8) but will sometimes go to f16 if necessary. ND filters are the only filters I use but it all depends on the subject matter really.

Bilbo Baggins
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Big Sky Country by Pliv10, on Flickr

Vancouver by Pliv10, on Flickr

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

These were f/8, def sharper:

IMG_2712-3 by s-bothun, on Flickr

IMG_2734 by s-bothun, on Flickr

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 25, 2013

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

slardel posted:

Making a mental note to not stop down to f/22 with this lens ever again.

Don’t stop down to f/22 with any lens if you can help it. Diffraction ruins everything at f/22 no matter the lens.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Platystemon posted:

Don’t stop down to f/22 with any lens if you can help it. Diffraction ruins everything at f/22 no matter the lens.

Yeah on miniature formats. :smuggo:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I shoot landscapes at f/16 almost religiously. f/8 is the "I forgot my tripod mount" setting.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 25, 2013

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

8th-samurai posted:

Yeah on miniature formats. :smuggo:

There is no such thing as a free lunch. Yes, for a given print size, diffraction sets in at a larger f‐number, but you need a larger f‐number for the same depth‐of‐field (assuming you can’t make use of tilt or swing). These two effects exactly cancel each other out.

To get the same depth‐of‐field as f/22 on 35 mm, you would need f/81 on 4″×5″. In either case, the Airy disk for 530 nm (green) light is 1/1500 of the negative diagonal.

The f‐numbers change, but the final result doesn’t.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Platystemon posted:

There is no such thing as a free lunch. Yes, for a given print size, diffraction sets in at a larger f‐number, but you need a larger f‐number for the same depth‐of‐field (assuming you can’t make use of tilt or swing). These two effects exactly cancel each other out.

To get the same depth‐of‐field as f/22 on 35 mm, you would need f/81 on 4″×5″. In either case, the Airy disk for 530 nm (green) light is 1/1500 of the negative diagonal.

The f‐numbers change, but the final result doesn’t.

:thejoke:

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Spime Wrangler posted:

Thanks! Its a reprocess of an image I couldn't get right back around Christmas.

I've been working on using curves and gradient filters to get things right in post. It's amazing how much it takes sometimes to get a RAW file looking even close to how you wanted.

Lake Superior by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

I like this - do you have a color version?

aliencowboy posted:

I shoot landscapes at f/16 almost religiously. f/8 is the "I forgot my tripod mount" setting.

WTF is a tripod?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Randos:

Untitled by Myotomy, on Flickr

Untitled by Myotomy, on Flickr

North Ave Winter by Myotomy, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004