Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I've been growing fatter but not by a great deal. It might be mental. I'm not the same boy I was. I'm a very grumpy man, and experience few moments of elation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Baron Bifford posted:

I've been growing fatter but not by a great deal. It might be mental. I'm not the same boy I was. I'm a very grumpy man, and experience few moments of elation.
I didn't realise you were responding about the rollercoaster stuff, I thought your odd postings in this thread had just taken a new, Alan Bennett-style turn.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

I'm sorry to hear that. Your avatar conveys a very different impression, and your posts suggest a childlike fascination with such as whale penises and amusement park rides.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Hoops posted:

I didn't realise you were responding about the rollercoaster stuff, I thought your odd postings in this thread had just taken a new, Alan Bennett-style turn.
Goony as gently caress. :v:

Sir John Falstaff posted:

I'm sorry to hear that. Your avatar conveys a very different impression, and your posts suggest a childlike fascination with such as whale penises and amusement park rides.
If you notice that dog's smile is forced, though he seems nicely chill about it. And piss of already with the penis stuff, that was 5 pages ago.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 25, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MILTONS COD posted:

Is there a way to set my computer calendar/clock to 1891?

Most modern OSes won't allow that. Their 0-point for time is generally 1970 or at least something in the 20th century (older Macs before OS X would set themselves to 1904 if the clock battery and wall power died for example, but no further back), so setting them back to 1891 would be too early for them to have as system time.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

MILTONS COD posted:

You need a tape recorder and a pair of headphones and create a self-hypnosis tape. Go to a hotel that was built prior to 1891. You remove all the items in your room that are modern day. If you succeed in convincing yourself via hypnosis it is 1891 you will be transferred back in time. You must realize if you do this the utmost care needs to be taken. For if you find a modern-day penny you will be rocketed forward in time.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wouldn't the post-1891 tape recorder & headphones sort of ruin the illusion?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Bovril Delight posted:

Wouldn't the post-1891 tape recorder & headphones sort of ruin the illusion?
Why would they? They travel through time with you, much like any other time travel device.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
If only the month and day are important, you could set it to 1998 and pretend the year reads 1891.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

MILTONS COD posted:

A 32bit unix time_t can only represent dates back to 1901-12-13, but if you had access to a 64bit system you might be able to set it back, I'm not sure what sanity checks there are on system clock, I wouldn't expect your motherboards clock to accept a date that far back so it's unlikely to survive resets even if your OS would support that date. Could you say what OS you're running and what you want to actually achieve?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
So do modern OSes still use only the last two digits for the year in dates? I thought they changed that after 2000.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

So do modern OSes still use only the last two digits for the year in dates? I thought they changed that after 2000.

UNIX-like operating systems set the time as "x seconds since y", where y is a specific date: 1 January 1970 in standard UNIX time, but different OSes select different dates. Without support for negative values of x, you can't have a date before it.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Do any OSes support negative values?

I suppose applications that are designed to handle pre-1970 dates (for astronomy, geology, etc.) have their own higher-level systems for that.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Baron Bifford posted:

Do any OSes support negative values?

I suppose applications that are designed to handle pre-1970 dates (for astronomy, geology, etc.) have their own higher-level systems for that.

Yes Unix time is a signed value, meaning it can be negative

I made a thing which sets the date to 1891 for windows machines, I'm PMing a mod to ask if it's OK to post it.

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

You need a tape recorder and a pair of headphones and create a self-hypnosis tape. Go to a hotel that was built prior to 1891. You remove all the items in your room that are modern day. If you succeed in convincing yourself via hypnosis it is 1891 you will be transferred back in time. You must realize if you do this the utmost care needs to be taken. For if you find a modern-day penny you will be rocketed forward in time.

Just wait till ya get a load of the Statue of Liberty...

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

KittyLitter posted:

Just wait till ya get a load of the Statue of Liberty...

I was actually going for the later work, rather than this one.

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

I was actually going for the later work, rather than this one.

I thought I was the only person who had ever read the book, anyway. :)

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Is there a thread where I could ask for beautiful photos of caves/nature in general? And if so, where is it?

MILTONS COD
Dec 30, 2006

The heart of standing is we cannot fly.

Crankit posted:

A 32bit unix time_t can only represent dates back to 1901-12-13, but if you had access to a 64bit system you might be able to set it back, I'm not sure what sanity checks there are on system clock, I wouldn't expect your motherboards clock to accept a date that far back so it's unlikely to survive resets even if your OS would support that date. Could you say what OS you're running and what you want to actually achieve?

My OS is Windows 7 and it's mainly just curiosity. I wanted the dates and didn't realize at first, like stubblyhead said, I could just set it back to a year like 1998. But then I started wondering if there was a way to set it back for real.

Additionally, it probably wouldn't make a difference (I don't know much about computers, surprise) but I have this free program called 'Family Tree Builder' which lets you...build family trees. I am building a tree I want to be accurate to the year 1891 and it's sort of annoying the way it keeps popping up to suggest that 'THIS PERSON IS 160 YEARS OLD ARE YOU SURE YOU DON'T WANT TO MARK THEM DECEASED?' and I think it takes its date cues off my computer because I can't see any way to change it in the program itself.

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

This sounds like a better plan.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

MILTONS COD posted:

My OS is Windows 7 and it's mainly just curiosity. I wanted the dates and didn't realize at first, like stubblyhead said, I could just set it back to a year like 1998. But then I started wondering if there was a way to set it back for real.

Additionally, it probably wouldn't make a difference (I don't know much about computers, surprise) but I have this free program called 'Family Tree Builder' which lets you...build family trees. I am building a tree I want to be accurate to the year 1891 and it's sort of annoying the way it keeps popping up to suggest that 'THIS PERSON IS 160 YEARS OLD ARE YOU SURE YOU DON'T WANT TO MARK THEM DECEASED?' and I think it takes its date cues off my computer because I can't see any way to change it in the program itself.

A mod gave me a "lol sure" so here's an app which sets your system date to 1891.
http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/422937/date1891.zip

It might require C++ redistributables, and definitely needs to run as admin to work. It also causes some apps to crash!
Your deceased relatives may rise from the grave and want a cake large enough for 160 candles.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

MILTONS COD posted:

I think it takes its date cues off my computer because I can't see any way to change it in the program itself.

I'd be absolutely shocked if this wasn't the case.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Lance Streetman posted:

Is there a thread where I could ask for beautiful photos of caves/nature in general? And if so, where is it?

Try the Dorkroom, one of these threads may work:

No advice/fun stuff: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3188257

General questions: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3184774

Landscapes: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3170577

Asking for suggestions, people may know of specific photographers or sites to point you toward. We're friendly people, I promise!

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Is the proper pronunciation of zealot with a hard E like "zeal", or a soft E like "zealous"? I hear both and I never really know.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Lance Streetman posted:

Dunno but you can make one in PYF.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Is the proper pronunciation of zealot with a hard E like "zeal", or a soft E like "zealous"? I hear both and I never really know.

I've always pronounced it like this:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/zealot

i.e. like zealous

edit: not sure what happened there, please feel free to ignore

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
In addition to Merriam-Webster, Random House and Collins World English Dictionary all agree "like zealous" is the only way to pronounce it.
I think you mean "long e" except it's only actually longer in dialects like Received Pronunciation so that's a bad name.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Like zealous. I've never heard anyone pronounce it the other way, and I'd give them a funny look if they did. Chances are one of your friends just pronounces it wrongly.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

MILTONS COD posted:

There's no guarantee they're not just flagging everyone before some particular date, so if you changed your computer time it might or might not change how the program behaves.

For sure you will confuse the poo poo out of something, though, because things like file update times will be wonky. In fact, you might have cases where some software works and others don't, including parts of the OS. What happens if the kernel works but FAT32 on a USB thumb drive doesn't, and you try to copy files to it? Who knows! (I'm pretty sure FAT file dates are offsets from 1980.)

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
So tomorrow, we're having the windows in our house replaced. Most of them are the old fashioned ones with the hatching and six individual panels. Am I crazy for wanting to keep them? I have vague ideas of reusing them for other things, or maybe selling them on Craigslist. Or maybe I just feel bad having some cool old fashioned windows smashed up in a dumpster, but otherwise if they're useless they'll just end up in my basement taking up room.

Picture for reference: http://www.imgur.com/5m8iANK.jpeg

Lyz fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 26, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Lyz posted:

So tomorrow, we're having the windows in our house replaced. Most of them are the old fashioned ones with the hatching and six individual panels. Am I crazy for wanting to keep them? I have vague ideas of reusing them for other things, or maybe selling them on Craigslist. Or maybe I just feel bad having some cool old fashioned windows smashed up in a dumpster, but otherwise if they're useless they'll just end up in my basement taking up room.

Picture for reference: http://www.imgur.com/5m8iANK.jpeg
When I replaced my windows, I took my old ones to a ReStore. I'm not sure if they would take those but you could call and ask.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

When I replaced my windows, I took my old ones to a ReStore. I'm not sure if they would take those but you could call and ask.

Oooh, thanks for the reminder about that place, it would be a good last resort. I was hoping to try and make some money off of them first, because I live in an area that very much goes out of it's way to look old fashioned and colonial (central Mass) so these windows fit right in.

Also it occurred to me that they are also rope hung windows, so in a pinch I can make them into picture frames and find a craft store to sell them. Or maybe I just want to make some window installers' day a little more complicated, I don't know.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

Lyz posted:

Oooh, thanks for the reminder about that place, it would be a good last resort. I was hoping to try and make some money off of them first, because I live in an area that very much goes out of it's way to look old fashioned and colonial (central Mass)...

People will pay to make new triple pane windows look old. They will not buy your old panes and replace a modern window. Someone would need to replace a window the same size and dimension for you to be able to sell them. As they are also likely covered in lead paint, fewer still want them. Your best bet is donating them to the ReStore or finding the closest architectural salvage society.

You could try CL but I don't think you will get more than $10/window, and you are going to sell very few. Some people hang them on walls with a landscape behind, or sometimes people paint directly on the glass. But honestly that decorating trend is nearing the end.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Any suggestions on recording equipment to use for an in-person interview? My school has some available to rent, but I anticipate needing one frequently.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

People will pay to make new triple pane windows look old. They will not buy your old panes and replace a modern window. Someone would need to replace a window the same size and dimension for you to be able to sell them. As they are also likely covered in lead paint, fewer still want them. Your best bet is donating them to the ReStore or finding the closest architectural salvage society.

Oh, I'm definitely not stupid enough to think people would put these in their houses. My thoughts were more either using them for cheap shed windows, or making them into craft projects - picture frames, chalkboards, etc. I'm pretty sure lead paint isn't a factor, but the windows were put in around the 50s so who knows.

What the hell, I have the attic space so I guess I'm just going to keep them for future craft projects, I already own them so why not. Either I do something with them in the future, try to sell them or find a ReStore. I guess I'll have to wait and see how many intact ones the installers leave me.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

Lyz posted:

I guess I'll have to wait and see how many intact ones the installers leave me.

If you tell them you want to keep the window panes everyone should remain in tact. And it is zero extra work to keep them intact. If you are around to carry the panes off as they remove them they will appreciate it greatly.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

N. Senada posted:

Any suggestions on recording equipment to use for an in-person interview? My school has some available to rent, but I anticipate needing one frequently.

Audio only, or video as well, and how complex a setup do you need? If you just need to record audio of two people talking, and you'll be sitting near each other, something like the Zoom H2 would be perfect. Records to SD card, so you can just connect it to your computer or pop the card out to transfer the files.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
most newer smart phones will have a semi-decent audio recorder app already installed, or can be installed from the app store. I guess it depends on the quality that you need.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

n/m- misinterpreted question.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Penguissimo posted:

Audio only, or video as well, and how complex a setup do you need? If you just need to record audio of two people talking, and you'll be sitting near each other, something like the Zoom H2 would be perfect. Records to SD card, so you can just connect it to your computer or pop the card out to transfer the files.

For my stuff, audio's enough. Zoom looks nice. I guess I need to be willing to spend quite a bit in order to get high-quality, huh?

Also, I don't have a smartphone and I don't think I'll be getting one soon.

Edit: Also, I'm just recording interviews which I'll be transcribing later.

N. Senada fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Is there a name for the genre of fiction that retells an existing work of fiction, but specifically from the original antagonist's point of view? Like Wicked or Grendel for example. Parallel novel is the only term I can find, but that's any kind of retelling, regardless of the new perspective.