Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Twee as gently caress posted:

As far as prayers, they can be dealt with under 10 minutes if need be, but it is a multiple times a day kind of thing. Are they a protected right?

It isn't a protected right in the military. The CF is required to make "reasonable accommodations for religious observances, when to do so will not impose undue hardship on the organizational element responsible for the accommodation." I do not believe you would be allowed to request even ~10 minutes to pray if you were in the midst of some 'serious business' infantry-related stuff.

As for the beard, if it's a religious requirement you may be allowed to keep it, although if the religious requirement doesn't stipulate a length you may not be able to keep it long and dangling, ready to get caught in a belt of C6 rounds or something. But yeah, if it's simply a matter of preferring to have a beard then you'll have to shave it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

ToeShoes posted:

I'm a white female in the military with no religious background as a vehicle tech, and in my opinion there is sexism and racism. I'm on course right now going through my DP1, and I had a MCpl that would try to hug me every time I saw him, and he would try to do things like hold (another girl on my course) a girls hand or try to get her to sit on his lap during PT.

So, as a minority you may want to expect completely racist jokes that you will not be comfortable with, with your peers or your immediate superiors, (sometimes even farther up). There are a lot of people who come from communities where they aren't comfortable with diversity, and are pretty much brought up to hate a type of person.

Though, most times, you just have to communicate that you don't like the way you are treated, and things will mostly stop.

Also, in the military, as in life, it behooves you to have a tough skin.

E: To the MCpl these things were just him joking around.

This is pretty wrong, even if it's "joking around". "Joking around" sexism/harassment feels like a bigger deal to me than racist "joking around", I guess because women are even more of a minority in the military. The rampant sexual harassment/assault in the military nowadays doesn't help either.

I assume you're at Borden? I'd figure hope a base with probably one of the closest male/female ratios in Canada would be better.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

- My battery has a Muslim Det Commander and a Muslim 2IC.
-The beanies are not authorized headdress I don't think, but both have beards.
- Halal meals are frequent and awesome.
- For an artillery battery at least, there's not time to pray 5 times a day for 10 minutes, and that's the case on BMQ/SQ/DP1 as well. If you can get an office job somewhere down the line I'm sure there will be accommodation.

As for racism, yeah there's a bit but in my experience as a Black Canadian it's mostly gentle ribbing, and the innocent "where are you/your parents/your ancestors from?" that most white Canadians tend to ask minorities.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Frosted Flake posted:

- For an artillery battery at least, there's not time to pray 5 times a day for 10 minutes, and that's the case on BMQ/SQ/DP1 as well. If you can get an office job somewhere down the line I'm sure there will be accommodation.

Jesus, what regiment are you with? In garrison my battery always had make work tasks and there would always be plenty of time to do crap that you needed to do.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I should have included a disclaimer: That's only on the few times a year we're actually doing poo poo, or on deployment.
Our most recent make-work task was to sharpen axes, hatchets and picks. I suppose there would have been time to pray during that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I wrote a unit's Religious Accommodation standing order a couple of months ago. I'll grab the reference at work tomorrow, but I'm pretty certain that religious head dress is authorized in cases where "the member has a legitimate and recognized spiritual requirement" to wear the hat.

IIRC, that's the wording of the official directive for any religious accommodation. There must be some kind of legitimate, strongly felt spiritual need.

Begin defining "legitimate" now.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

mr_selfdestruct posted:

I dont know much about the reserve world, but dont they off the reserve guys the opportunity to do the reg force training? I know they do it for BMQ, but I dont know about trades training. The Mat tech training DP1 isnt quite a year long, some of that training is EME branch common training. The reserve vehicle techs do not come close to the amount of training we get in the reg force, with our DP1 being 7 months and theirs being about 3 I think. Dont trust a word the recruiter says about length of course or how long you will wait for a course, they really have no idea unless they are the trade you are looking at.

Alright, thanks. Yeah, from perusing their website the impression I got was that, yeah, if I wanted the full training I could try to get it, but I'd assume that'd come saddled with a dozen qualifiers and restrictions and ~whatever~.

Also, I have a... reasonably close family member who's a Colonel. I don't know poo poo about poo poo, what sort of hot n nasty nepotism could someone mostly just interested in the Reserves possibly swing? :allears:

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN
Not as much as you think.

Edit: please go into recruiting and ask them what your uncle the Colonel can do.

Not so ninja edit: I hate people like you.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

ToeShoes posted:

I'm a white female in the military with no religious background as a vehicle tech, and in my opinion there is sexism and racism. I'm on course right now going through my DP1, and I had a MCpl that would try to hug me every time I saw him, and he would try to do things like hold (another girl on my course) a girls hand or try to get her to sit on his lap during PT.

So, as a minority you may want to expect completely racist jokes that you will not be comfortable with, with your peers or your immediate superiors, (sometimes even farther up). There are a lot of people who come from communities where they aren't comfortable with diversity, and are pretty much brought up to hate a type of person.

Though, most times, you just have to communicate that you don't like the way you are treated, and things will mostly stop.

Also, in the military, as in life, it behooves you to have a tough skin.

E: To the MCpl these things were just him joking around.

Whyyyy are you not reporting this. I would lose my poo poo on any of my NCOs if they tried to pull this on troops.

Seriously, tell him to stop, and if he doesn't report his rear end for harassment, that sort of behavior is unacceptable. Others may know about this behavior but you cannot take action on harassment on another's behalf, you need to report it.

aarp
Dec 22, 2004

#2 Hot Dog Club Member

Elgar posted:

Whyyyy are you not reporting this. I would lose my poo poo on any of my NCOs if they tried to pull this on troops.

Seriously, tell him to stop, and if he doesn't report his rear end for harassment, that sort of behavior is unacceptable. Others may know about this behavior but you cannot take action on harassment on another's behalf, you need to report it.

I'm sure you mean well, but this is incredibly naïve.

Harassment is notoriously difficult to prove and making those charges against staff is going to bring down a world of poo poo. The Administration would really rather not have to deal with an investigation that could result in finding out that people turned a blind eye to the harassment. Chances are that people do know about the harasser's behavior but aren't going to stick their neck out for a student. As a student, it's really tempting to just let this kind of behavior slide because it will end as soon as the course is over and you won't have to deal with being called a liar and poo poo disturber by the Administration.

There's a reason stuff like this happens and it isn't for a lack of people who object to harassment and sexual assault.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

mstrkrft posted:

Not as much as you think.
I wouldn't think so, but, yknow, v :shobon: v

mstrkrft posted:

Not so ninja edit: I hate people like you.
I'll allow it

aarp posted:

Yeah, it sounds like someone's never been on the short end of an investigation everybody who matters just wants to go away quickly and quietly. it is, Not Productive As A Rule.

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 26, 2013

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

aarp posted:

Harassment is notoriously difficult to prove and making those charges against staff is going to bring down a world of poo poo. The Administration would really rather not have to deal with an investigation that could result in finding out that people turned a blind eye to the harassment. Chances are that people do know about the harasser's behavior but aren't going to stick their neck out for a student. As a student, it's really tempting to just let this kind of behavior slide because it will end as soon as the course is over and you won't have to deal with being called a liar and poo poo disturber by the Administration.

There's a reason stuff like this happens and it isn't for a lack of people who object to harassment and sexual assault.

They'd have to be real pieces of poo poo to go to the wall for some podunk MCpl who can be replaced at the drop of a hat. I've definitely seen instructors run for less. Like this guy for instance http://www.jmc-cmj.forces.gc.ca/en/2012/whitten.page Everything he got run for is pretty normal fleet behavior, but someone finally got fed up and even though it wasn't part of the decision, his career was ended (I know that for a fact). Note "Ex-Master Seaman."

Run through those decisions and you'll see plenty going down for sexual harassment, as they should. You can also go outside the CoC if they act lovely, and feel good about it. It's supposed to be a goddamn professional work environment, and you shouldn't have to put up with that sort of poo poo period.

That said, I do know there are lots of more senior types who wouldn't bother like you said but I wouldn't be afraid to press it no matter what. If they've been looking the other way, well, time to clean house. gently caress the creeps who keep getting away with idiotic, sociopathic behavior.

aarp
Dec 22, 2004

#2 Hot Dog Club Member

compressioncut posted:

They'd have to be real pieces of poo poo to go to the wall for some podunk MCpl who can be replaced at the drop of a hat. I've definitely seen instructors run for less. Like this guy for instance http://www.jmc-cmj.forces.gc.ca/en/2012/whitten.page Everything he got run for is pretty normal fleet behavior, but someone finally got fed up and even though it wasn't part of the decision, his career was ended (I know that for a fact). Note "Ex-Master Seaman."

Run through those decisions and you'll see plenty going down for sexual harassment, as they should. You can also go outside the CoC if they act lovely, and feel good about it. It's supposed to be a goddamn professional work environment, and you shouldn't have to put up with that sort of poo poo period.

That said, I do know there are lots of more senior types who wouldn't bother like you said but I wouldn't be afraid to press it no matter what. If they've been looking the other way, well, time to clean house. gently caress the creeps who keep getting away with idiotic, sociopathic behavior.

I don't want to give the impression that it's impossible to fight harassment and the right course of action is to ignore the whole thing. Cultures and attitudes vary base to base and unit to unit and there are a lot of good people out there who can be a huge help in these situations.

However, bring up charges like harassment and sexual assault can require amounts of fortitude and organizational knowledge that a lot of younger members haven't had the time to develop. "Just tell someone about it" can be pretty dangerous advice. From what I've seen, the best course of action is to document events, make an effort to deal with things at the lowest level and to know where to turn if the CoC decides that it would rather not bother with your cause.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Frosted Flake posted:

I'd say on a gun there's PLENTY of time to sit and pray. Or dogfuck. Either or. Take 5 minutes out of make-work time and do it.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

compressioncut posted:

Like this guy for instance http://www.jmc-cmj.forces.gc.ca/en/2012/whitten.page Everything he got run for is pretty normal fleet behavior, but someone finally got fed up and even though it wasn't part of the decision, his career was ended (I know that for a fact). Note "Ex-Master Seaman."

Wow, I missed that one. I'm very glad to see someone run for that sort of poo poo. Yeah, filing a harassment claim can be tricky; you need to have specifics, dates, times, and witnesses (in this case the fact that the harassment occurred in the classroom more than likely made the case). And of course there's the common "joke" that often the worst offenders in a unit turn out to be the Unit Harassement Advisor.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
As a fully qualified HA, I resent that. I haven't harassed anyone in a good 15 minutes.

First step is obviously to approach the MCpl and tell him that his behaviour is inappropriate. If you don't feel comfortable with that, work your way up the chain of comd. There are people outside of your chain to go to, including the padre, the unit harassment advisor (they're more to advise COs wrt harassment issues, but can still give you advice on your specific case), etc. As harassment complaints take a very long time and a good chunk of change to investigate, solving problems at the lowest level obviously is definitely what will be suggested to you.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

Is this real life?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Thats beautiful

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
I would totally pay the 1800$ so I can save 200$ for the next year.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Could that be a honeypot? Nobody's that stupid, right?

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

aarp posted:

Man, I really hope you aren't in a position of leadership.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

ub posted:

Wow, I missed that one. I'm very glad to see someone run for that sort of poo poo.

He was my very first watch MS out in the fleet when I was a brand new OD :angel: Then he was rotting in the basement of the Fleet School when I put on P2. I actually kind of like the guy but you can't gently caress around like that with everyone, as he found out (in fact it's best not to gently caress around like that with anyone).

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Twee, from my conversations with HUMINT operators, I would caution you that your language skills won't necessarily give you an advantage in selection. My understanding is that the selection is based more on your interpersonal skills. From what I've been told, it's a test you can't study for. Your language skills may be better suited for other positions like Communications Research. But if you're really interested in HUMINT, absolutely look into it. When I was overseas I don't believe you needed to even be an INT Op to get into it. I knew infanteers who did selection.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

compressioncut posted:

He was my very first watch MS out in the fleet when I was a brand new OD :angel: Then he was rotting in the basement of the Fleet School when I put on P2. I actually kind of like the guy but you can't gently caress around like that with everyone, as he found out (in fact it's best not to gently caress around like that with anyone).

Master Jack or not, you loving assault me with a broomstick hard enough to get welts, you're getting your rear end beat. Goddamn, what a sonofabitch.

What is wrong with jacking someone up the old fashioned way? Like pushups till you die?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
He would never have hit anyone in the fleet (but definitely some pokey chest). Obviously his already poor judgement deteriorated and already big ego inflated further at the school.

It's fun reading between the lines in some of the testimony, too, if you happen to know those involved.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

mstrkrft posted:

Is this real life?

That's fantastic. I'd imagine they'll have to cut their rate by about 99% when the newer, shittier easier to pass for a bunch of loving wogs test comes in.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Simkin posted:

That's fantastic. I'd imagine they'll have to cut their rate by about 99% when the newer, shittier easier to pass for a bunch of loving wogs test comes in.

Shame too. Now that PT exempt won't give me those extra points at the boards I'm gonna have to go out and earn it somehow :(

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Does anyone know CF policy on wearing non-issued jackets?

I know we have a discount on Arcteryx and there are a lot of great coats out there in a lot of camo patterns, but unfortunately none that I know of come in CADPAT.

Would it be okay to wear a raincoat or parka that's not CADPAT?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
In the field its plausible, in garrison it's a definite no.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
It really depends where you are, who you are, who's watching you, and what you're doing.

If I had an Arcteryx jacket I'd be wearing it as much as I could.

acumen fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 6, 2013

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
I saw a guy wearing a Habs jersey for the entire day on my old base. It's was the next day they defeated Pittsburg in play-offs and it was on an airforce base.

Here in Edmonton you can't even wear the fleace tuque that is issued on some base on Garisson.

It really depend on what, where and when.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So I asked around and apparently Arc'teryx was asked to be a part of the Clothe the Soldier Program, but there was some kind of dispute over intellectual property. Supposedly DND wanted to own the designs, which put Arc'teryx is a jam because then all the patented stuff that gives them an edge over their competitors would be out there or something. The CF also wouldn't just buy Arc'teryx off the shelf because it's loving expensive.

Are there any Clothe the Soldier success stories? I'd say the rain jacket is pretty okay.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
The issued ghillie suits were pretty awesome as well, too bad most people will never even see one.

DLR is a horrible system/group of individuals and it all needs to be torn down and built up again from scratch. Most of our acquisitions have been so loving stupid, and have been either tested by the completely wrong people (non-combat arms) or the feedback has been ignored.

I've seen the "new" tactical vest system and combats that they're bringing in, and that seems to be a step in the right direction but they really missed the boat on the Afghanistan war. Are we just now thinking of bringing in brown boots? One of the first things anyone with camouflage expertise will tell you is that shiny and black are just one step below hunter's orange or doing the macarena on the "obvious as gently caress" scale.

On the sniper's side of things, we had a lot of interaction with DLR and there were two items that really stood out to me. The first was the ballistic calculator that didn't have our ammo data in it, and was not upgradeable/patchable. The second was the new Schmidt + Bender scopes they threw on all our new rifles had a centre reticle that was like .8 mils in thickness; it would actually block out a human being at ranges of 800m+ and was so thick you would have to use a corner of it (instead of just the centre of the crosshairs) to zero properly.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I haven't worn issued boots or issued gloves in four years.

Go go Army clothing!

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
The brown boots have been issued on a limited basis but are so lovely (falling apart) they are going back to square one.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

compressioncut posted:

The brown boots have been issued on a limited basis but are so lovely (falling apart) they are going back to square one.

Going back to the Mk4 then?

Here's a solution;

Find what the Americans or British are using, and liking. Buy that. There, problem solved without years of buttfuckery trying to involve lovely Canadian manufacturers because AUR JARBS

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
lovely Quebec manufacturer. That is especially important for some reason.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

MA-Horus posted:

Going back to the Mk4 then?

Here's a solution;

Find what the Americans or British are using, and liking. Buy that. There, problem solved without years of buttfuckery trying to involve lovely Canadian manufacturers because AUR JARBS

The Brits get issued Lowas and/or Hanwags, and they're outstanding. Also Snugpaks. Too bad the rest of their stuff is junk.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

compressioncut posted:

lovely Quebec manufacturer. That is especially important for some reason.

Western Star isn't Québécois and managed to create the single shittiest vehicle I've ever driven.

God the LS is a piece of loving GARBAGE. this cannot be overstated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

Western Star isn't Québécois and managed to create the single shittiest vehicle I've ever driven.

God the LS is a piece of loving GARBAGE. this cannot be overstated.

drat, MA-Horus.

What do you have against garbage?