Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

supkirbs posted:

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. I already mailed the money order? But the tracking is showing that it's undeliverable and might come back to me.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/canceled-check.asp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

The library is the worst bunch of people assembled in history. They're mean, conniving, rude and extremely well read which makes them very dangerous.

Guy Axlerod posted:

When you get the money order back, write a check. That way you don't have to go to the trouble of using a traceable mailing method, since the payment is traceable. If he claims he never gets it, you can put a stop payment on the check and write a new one. You can't do that with a money order.

Okay, I see what you are saying now and thank you for the response. My problem though is it's already been mailed, the address he gave me is one where he apparently cannot receive mail. I can't get a refund on the money order for what, 90 days? So at this point if I wanted to mail another check using my own additional $150 (since I can't get the refund on his until later, I'm also unemployed so this would put a small burden on me to front that money) to an address that previously returned mail in his name...what's the point of that? I've already done my part required by forwarding his deposit to the address he provided. I can show proof that it was mailed and returned. My question is if he doesn't provide a different address to me, how long until the deposit is just forfeited to me. This guy has been a real jerk to me and to be honest I'll do what's required for me but I don't want to go out of my way for anything else.

I know what a canceled check is, I didn't understand the point in mailing him an additional 2nd payment and Guy clarified his advice. Was that really necessary?

supkirbs fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 22, 2013

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

The library is the worst bunch of people assembled in history. They're mean, conniving, rude and extremely well read which makes them very dangerous.
edit: accidental double post

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

supkirbs posted:

I know what a canceled check is

Ah, sorry, it was kind of unclear what part you were confused about.

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

the littlest prince posted:

That's okay. I thought Guy was saying to just send another check now. Just trying to basically figure out the legal bare minimum I have to do for this guy. It also costs money to put a stop pay on a check etc., etc. I just want to know if that's something that I'm required by law to do when I've already sent a payment to him in an acceptable method.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Regardless of what you end up doing, remember that a money order does expire eventually. They aren't valid forever.

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

NancyPants posted:

Regardless of what you end up doing, remember that a money order does expire eventually. They aren't valid forever.

Yeah, which is why I wanted to know at one point it'd be considered forfeit if he doesn't provide me a different address. Don't want it to just end up going to waste.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

the littlest prince posted:

To be fair, it's also a helpful explanation for everyone else that doesn't know what a canceled check is.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
You've probably fulfilled your legal duty. It's not like he's going to sue you anyway. If he ever sends you another address, just send the money there. Or if you're worried about it, call up that business and ask if they received any certified mail notices or if they're accepting a check for this weird guy. If you can get the gf, just say "hey I've got a check, where do I mail it?".

Schitzo
Mar 20, 2006

I can't hear it when you talk about John Druce
If you really want to cover off your bases, it looks like Virginia has a registry for unclaimed property:

http://www.trs.virginia.gov/UCP/Report

You can likely send the funds there and wash your hands of it. No idea if there's a positive obligation to do so.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

I'm applying for a cashier job in a big-box retailer in Florida, USA. The application says:

quote:

I understand that the Company or an affiliate of the Company owns all inventions, discoveries, ideas, trade secrets, original works of authorship, and other intellectual property that an associate conceives or develops either alone or jointly with others during the course of employment or using Company resources, and if hired, I will perform all acts and sign all documents necessary for the Company or an affiliate to document its ownership of this intellectual property and to obtain whatever other legal protection the Company or affiliate deems appropriate, whether during my employment or after my employment ends.

What is "during the course of employment" mean? If I signed this and was hired, would they have any control over non-company-related creative works?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

platzapS posted:

I'm applying for a cashier job in a big-box retailer in Florida, USA. The application says:

What is "during the course of employment" mean? If I signed this and was hired, would they have any control over non-company-related creative works?

It's a pretty standard IP retention clause. If you record your hot new single on company time they might try and retain rights, but that clause is likely in the contract as a standard clause, not because they want to steal your single bemoaning the life of a cashier.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Would that even pass muster if tried in a court? Say he does record a song about it, could Kroger or whomever sue for rights to it? Seems a bit overbroad for that type of employment.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
It's standard stuff. A more likely use is if he comes up with a new method for ringing things up, or asks for a command shortcut that streamlines the program, the company doesn't have to pay him for that idea. It may sound kooky, but it has serious applications. Let's say I'm stocking shelves and I come up with a pre-sort method that saves me time: I can't charge the company money for the idea behind my method. In that context, I think it'd definitely stand up in court. A pop song on company time seems weird. But like if I make a training video for my store on company time, then the company could use it nationwide without paying me.

But everything single thing you do outside of work is yours. You could be jazz fusion artist selling CD's outside of work, and that contract doesn't effect you whatsoever.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That clause bit me in the rear end. Which is why I don't use stacking shelves as my preferred choice of visual medium anymore.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

The most problematic case is an engineer who comes up with something work-related and claims he came up with it on his own time. That's when you see lawyers get into it over retention clauses. But typically it's just boilerplate to save them some trouble, not something to worry about.

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011
I have a question about liability and events. This is for a dance that will take place outside Nashville, TN. The community center where we are holding the event does not allow alcohol unless you pay extra, hire a bartender, and get extra insurance. We don't want any of that. There is a disagreement in our group on how and where the "no alcohol" policy has to be worded.

One member is saying that a signed waiver has no meaning, but if we print the policy on a ticket it would hold up legally. We weren't planning on giving out paper tickets, except as a receipt/reminder if people paid cash. She believes that printing terms and conditions and handing it out to everyone before would legally cover our asses more than having the terms and conditions available to read and then having participants sign something at the door stating they understand them and agree to follow the rules.

She is also quibbling over whether we call the receipt a ticket or receipt.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

CDG
Feb 20, 2010

LoveMeDead posted:

I have a question about liability and events. This is for a dance that will take place outside Nashville, TN. The community center where we are holding the event does not allow alcohol unless you pay extra, hire a bartender, and get extra insurance. We don't want any of that. There is a disagreement in our group on how and where the "no alcohol" policy has to be worded.

One member is saying that a signed waiver has no meaning, but if we print the policy on a ticket it would hold up legally. We weren't planning on giving out paper tickets, except as a receipt/reminder if people paid cash. She believes that printing terms and conditions and handing it out to everyone before would legally cover our asses more than having the terms and conditions available to read and then having participants sign something at the door stating they understand them and agree to follow the rules.

She is also quibbling over whether we call the receipt a ticket or receipt.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

I'm not sure what exactly you are asking here. The center requires those items if alcohol is being served/allowed at the dance. If you are trying to have alcohol at the dance without paying for it, having a written policy won't magic you out of anything.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

CDG posted:

I'm not sure what exactly you are asking here. The center requires those items if alcohol is being served/allowed at the dance. If you are trying to have alcohol at the dance without paying for it, having a written policy won't magic you out of anything.

I think she's asking "what do I need to do so that my rear end is covered if a guest sneaks alcohol in?"

Super Delegate
Jan 20, 2005

ƃɐlɟ ǝɥʇ
I'm having some trouble with a wedding venue in Connecticut. During the tour of the inn/venue, a manager stated that they only allow one wedding per weekend. This would give our party exclusive use of several rooms, including the reception hall for the entire weekend. This was not mentioned in the contract, and I just found out that another wedding is booked the same weekend. (The other wedding is booked the day before us, on a Saturday.) The venue's website currently states that they "only book one wedding per day", but a backup found on archive.org says "only book one wedding per weekend". The other wedding is going to conflict with several vendors who were going to do setup/prep work on Saturday.

Is there any way to make the venue pay for fees we incur for having our vendors change the setup times?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Super Delegate posted:

I'm having some trouble with a wedding venue in Connecticut. During the tour of the inn/venue, a manager stated that they only allow one wedding per weekend. This would give our party exclusive use of several rooms, including the reception hall for the entire weekend. This was not mentioned in the contract, and I just found out that another wedding is booked the same weekend. (The other wedding is booked the day before us, on a Saturday.) The venue's website currently states that they "only book one wedding per day", but a backup found on archive.org says "only book one wedding per weekend". The other wedding is going to conflict with several vendors who were going to do setup/prep work on Saturday.

Is there any way to make the venue pay for fees we incur for having our vendors change the setup times?

What is the amount of the fees will you incur for having the vendors change the setup times?

Are the setup times mentioned in your contract with the venue?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Can any of the New York lawyers tell me whether New York applies the general canon of contra proferentem, in particular in a contract of adhesion such as a commercial lease?

e. I've done the google and see that the concept applies, I'm just looking for some actual practitioners' opinions. We are not talking about a sophisticated commercial tenant.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 28, 2013

Tarnien
Jul 4, 2003
Champion of the World!!!
I received a $375 citation from the US Forest Service yesterday for "leaving a fire without extinguishing it." Thing is, it wasn't our fire. We were the closest car parked next to an abandoned fire, so the officer assumed that the fire was ours. We noticed but paid no attention to the fire pit in the lot, and had no idea there was an unextinguished fire. The officer never saw us, nor did we see him. We simply parked in the lot, went out to go hiking for the day, and came back to find a citation.

I'm trying to get in touch with the officer now, but if I have to contest this, what is the best course of action? Anyone have any experience contesting stuff like this?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Tarnien posted:

I'm trying to get in touch with the officer now, but if I have to contest this, what is the best course of action?

Print out your post, bring it to your court date, and read it. The burden is on the ranger to prove your guilt. Also, wear some nice clothes and call the Judge "sir" or "your honor." Don't yell at the forest ranger.

Alternatively, print out a sovereign citizen manifesto and start reading. Continue reading until they tell you to stop, at which point start yelling at them. Then continue reading, getting louder and louder. That would be entertaining and probably worth the $50 or whatever the ticket is for.

Tarnien
Jul 4, 2003
Champion of the World!!!

BigHead posted:

Print out your post, bring it to your court date, and read it. The burden is on the ranger to prove your guilt. Also, wear some nice clothes and call the Judge "sir" or "your honor." Don't yell at the forest ranger.

I figured that's what would happen. Hopefully it works out! And it's $375, not $50. If it were $50, it wouldn't be worth the trouble to fight.

Thanks for your help!

Edit: Was able to speak with the officer who issued the citation and cleared up the situation. He stated that I could disregard the ticket. Awesome!

Tarnien fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 1, 2013

OlyMike
Sep 17, 2006
I'm talking about flagellation, who gives a damn about parades
I just found out today that my college roommate/one of my best friends at the time was popped for robbing a bunch of banks in October (the bundled up bandit in Utah if you're curious). Apparently no one can figure out where he is. All I can see is "held for US Marshals." Anyone know what that means? I'm not terribly concerned since he obviously decided heroin and bank robbery were a valid life choice but if anyone knows where they put people like this I'd love to know.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OlyMike posted:

I just found out today that my college roommate/one of my best friends at the time was popped for robbing a bunch of banks in October (the bundled up bandit in Utah if you're curious). Apparently no one can figure out where he is. All I can see is "held for US Marshals." Anyone know what that means? I'm not terribly concerned since he obviously decided heroin and bank robbery were a valid life choice but if anyone knows where they put people like this I'd love to know.

Likely a local jail. The Marshals will pick him up there and move him to the federal system.

OlyMike
Sep 17, 2006

baquerd posted:

Likely a local jail. The Marshals will pick him up there and move him to the federal system.

Even though it was 4 months ago? Would he be in the federal system by now, or is it local until conviction?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

OlyMike posted:

Even though it was 4 months ago? Would he be in the federal system by now, or is it local until conviction?

Depends on the place he is going to trial. Most places hold in local jails though.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Larger cities typically have a federal detention center but usually the Feds just pay the locals to hold people until conviction and federal pen.

OlyMike
Sep 17, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Larger cities typically have a federal detention center but usually the Feds just pay the locals to hold people until conviction and federal pen.

Thanks for the info guys, I found him in Weber county jail. Now I can send him a letter or something. The internet comes through again!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

OlyMike posted:

Thanks for the info guys, I found him in Weber county jail. Now I can send him a letter or something. The internet comes through again!

Dunno if it applies, but remember the jail reads the letters and may copy and give to the DOJ, so if there's anything they shouldn't know, don't write it.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
So, my friend just sent me a message. It reads -

"Hey.. I have a question.. I'm basically for someone.. ANYONE to make me feel a little better aboiut a bad decision I made

But not many people can answer this

I sent a package through the mail.. It it is a box with 50 bullets in it. What are the odds that I will get caught?"

He's a licensed firearm owner, and owns some ammunition packing equipment. I'm assuming he was sending something to one of his friends on a firearm forum. Still kinda stunned at how 'tarded it is, but...anyone feel like taking a crack at that?

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Thuryl posted:

I think she's asking "what do I need to do so that my rear end is covered if a guest sneaks alcohol in?"

wouldn't this turn on the terms of the contract?

OlyMike
Sep 17, 2006

nm posted:

Dunno if it applies, but remember the jail reads the letters and may copy and give to the DOJ, so if there's anything they shouldn't know, don't write it.

Oh yeah, I haven't spoken to him for around a year so I know nothing about his current situation. I'm just assuming he could use a friend.

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

insanityv2 posted:

wouldn't this turn on the terms of the contract?

As I see it, what she's trying to do is get everyone attending to sign up to something that says "I agree that I'm not carrying in any alcohol and that if I am, I agree you can sue me for your loss if the venue owner sues you over this." That's the only way I could see it working and, for evidence if nothing else, that probably would be best as a condition printed on the back of a ticket, although at a pinch you might get away with having a notice or something.

I'm not an American lawyer, so I'm not guaranteeing something like that would actually stand up in court if you tried to pass any loss down the chain to the person who brought in the booze, and you have to factor in whether any of them would be worth suing if you got hit with some kind of financial penalty. I imagine the venue's main concern is not to breach the terms of its licence, so unless they actually get in trouble over that, they're unlikely to come after you for it in practice, even if the policy is breached.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

What Fun posted:

I sent a package through the mail.. It it is a box with 50 bullets in it. What are the odds that I will get caught?"

He's a licensed firearm owner, and owns some ammunition packing equipment. I'm assuming he was sending something to one of his friends on a firearm forum. Still kinda stunned at how 'tarded it is, but...anyone feel like taking a crack at that?

It's very unlikely he will get caught, and if he does the worst that would happen would be that the package gets destroyed and he gets a warning not to do it again. I suppose they could fine him, but I don't think they would consider the legal process worth it for what appears to be an honest mistake.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
I appreciate it, thanks for your time. I sent it along, it should probably calm him down.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
My parents leased a horse to a lady in Oregon, we live in Washington. There was a contract drawn up and signed by both parties regarding care and responsibilities. While I do not have a before picture of the horse, I'm not sure it's needed. They received him back today in this condition:

My question is as follows: Regarding a potential suit for negligence and breech of contract, would it be best to look for a lawyer in Oregon (Portland area if it makes a difference) or Washington (Kitsap county/Seattle area, if it makes a difference), and what other legal avenues might we be able to follow in addition to or other than the court room?

edit: In addition, I have another (possibly stupid) question- Is there some sort of animal abuse law type of specialty that we should look for, or would a straight up contract law lawyer be just dandy?

windshipper fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

windshipper posted:

My parents leased a horse to a lady in Oregon, we live in Washington. There was a contract drawn up and signed by both parties regarding care and responsibilities. While I do not have a before picture of the horse, I'm not sure it's needed. They received him back today in this condition:

My question is as follows: Regarding a potential suit for negligence and breech of contract, would it be best to look for a lawyer in Oregon (Portland area if it makes a difference) or Washington (Kitsap county/Seattle area, if it makes a difference), and what other legal avenues might we be able to follow in addition to or other than the court room?

It'll probably be easier to file in Washington, although less convenient. You might well be able to get into court in Oregon, though, depending on the provisions of the contract and your states' specific rules on jurisdiction. Probably worth finding someone local just to talk through the ramifications of each, though - conflict of laws is complicated and fact-specific.

Before you sue, you probably want to try to resolve it between the two of you - this doesn't necessarily mean you don't want to hire a lawyer to make a demand, just that your first demand should likely be for compensation without a lawsuit, not an immediate "we are suing you" letter.

(Also, jesus, poor horse. Consider contacting whoever the animal control authorities are in the woman's home state/city, they may have criminal charges to bring.)