Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Furious Lobster posted:

The best beer of the night was probably Kern River Citra DIPA, which is truly one of the best DIPAs, I've had in a long time.

Some guy bought the entire shelf of this on Saturday before I could grab a bottle. Did end up with a bottle of Simtra, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Looks like my friends brewery is finally going to open: http://alesyndicate.com/news/detail/its-here
They shifted the name to Ale Syndicate which...is an interesting choice haha.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

danbanana posted:

Some guy bought the entire shelf of this on Saturday before I could grab a bottle. Did end up with a bottle of Simtra, though.

You're probably mistaking Knee Deep Citra for Kern River since the latter did a brewery release only this year. This is a pity since making trades will be that much harder.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Furious Lobster posted:

You're probably mistaking Knee Deep Citra for Kern River since the latter did a brewery release only this year. This is a pity since making trades will be that much harder.

Man, I've been wrong all over the place here. I blame the alcohol.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Picked up a new variety pack of Magic Hat (need the bottles) and almost crapped my pants when I saw they made a Gose. Holy loly though what the hell were they thinking? It's not a bad session beer but ... :psyduck:

Love me some of their Pils though (don't judge).

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
2.3 year old Ten Fidy.

It's amazing.

shame it's probably bud light

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 26, 2013

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I got to try Cantillon Gueuze on tap tonight. It was really, really good, and my first ever Cantillon beer. I felt like a complete jackass after ordering it though, because not only did I mispronounce Cantillon, but I also mispronounced gueuze. Oh well, it's not a mistake I will ever make again. I totally should have known how to pronounce gueuze considering there's a beer called duck duck gueuze, but whatever, you live, you learn. I really wish I could have tried it side by side with 3F's oude gueuze, but I guess that will have to come some other time when I can actually get Cantillon in a bottle.

I also got the chance to try Fat Head's IBUsive IPA, which actually might be better than Head Hunter, as crazy as that sounds. It's a new IPA from them brewed with Mosaic hops, and drat was it good. Overall, it was a mighty fine day to be a beer enthusiast.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Only drink gose and geuze for a whole night and have fun trying to pronounce them together.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

TenaciousTomato posted:

2.3 year old Ten Fidy.

It's amazing.

shame it's probably bud light

What's happening here and what other beers do this because I've not seen ten fidy here.

vvvv Well that's just neat as heck.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 26, 2013

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

What's happening here and what other beers do this because I've not seen ten fidy here.

http://blogs.howstuffworks.com/2011/01/14/invention-beer-cups-with-holes-that-fill-from-the-bottom-how/

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kudosx posted:

I felt like a complete jackass after ordering it though, because not only did I mispronounce Cantillon, but I also mispronounced gueuze. Oh well, it's not a mistake I will ever make again.

The last time New Belgium's Le Terroir was available a local place had it on tap at a great price and I basically went there every drat night til it kicked. After about my third glass the bartender finally rolled her eyes and said "you know, it's 'tear-WAH', not 'terror'". Somehow the fact that she was super hot made this even more awkward v:shobon:v

Whatever, this is America, speak American :911:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I had some douchebag correct my pronunciation of Southern Tier Choklat. I pronounced it exactly like chocolate because, you know, I'm not a pretentious gently caress. He corrected me and called it "show-claw" or something gay like that.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Last time someone corrected my pronunciation while drinking I went on a rant about prescriptivism and how our understanding of a constantly shifting morphology has outmoded rigid standardization, but that didn't make me any less wrong so I just went back to my beer. :smith:

Genghis Pecan, by the way, didn't taste like pecan pie. Or pecan. Or anything, really, aside from an ordinary stout. Luckily I went to Saison, a brew/gastro-pub in Richmond, that very same night. Totally made up for it. I'd been before (for the Lagavulin cask JW Lees I mentioned awhile ago. Still there, it turns out) but returned to try out the food which turned out to be pretty great. It's a lot smaller than the other beer destinations in Richmond, but if you find yourself in the area it's definitely worth it to stop by for a drink. Great staff, too.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Every time someone in my house says "duchesse de bourgogne" we pronounce it differently. Just kind of put on a fake French accent and hope for the best :shobon:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I hate ordering Leffe because every once in awhile the person repeats back to you "Leff-eh?" and I just don't even care anymore. Just put beer in my hand and I will pay you for it, whatever you want to call it.

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

Speaking of pronunciations, how do you say Sucaba? I've never heard it spoken before and have to maintain my pride in front of the binny's clerk. Also, has it hit Chicago yet?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

What It Dooski posted:

Speaking of pronunciations, how do you say Sucaba? I've never heard it spoken before and have to maintain my pride in front of the binny's clerk. Also, has it hit Chicago yet?

It's a made up word from "Abacus" turned backwards. Just say it like it looks. It hit Chicago last week, I would imagine most Binny's are out... unless there are multiple shipments.

Also, anyone else think Hop Henge is reallllly similar to Expo Hoppiness?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
i've always heard it pronounced "gooze"- "goose" with a z- but if you look it up, there are people who say "gurzah" and everything in between. i've heard Cantillon pronounced a gang of different ways, and it's a wild guess as to which syllables people will want to emphasize, but the majority of the time it's "can-tea-ahn."

folks 'round here- keepin' in mind this is both the east coast and the South- been sayin' "sue-cob-uh" when talkin' 'bout that Firestone beer.

SketchyNick
Oct 15, 2005
My mother is born and raised dutch and she always tells me gueze is pronounce "whoze" as in who+zah. Just gotta slap on a dutch accent and no one will know what youre talking about.

also its Can-ti-on. No L's pronounced.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

okay, decided to look up Jean Van Roy on youtube. he says Cantillon a whole bunch, but it takes him until 6:20 to say gueuze, which ends up sounding a lot like "goes." dammit, now i'm gonna have to say it like that and people are gonna think i'm a jerk (see also: Hoegaarden).

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I go with can-tee-ohn (Can-ti-on, not pronouncing the "on" like an american") which is how Jean Van Roy and most people say it. Just about every major sour nerd and brewer I've talked to pronounces gueze the goose with a z way.

The first time I tried to pronounce it I said Can-till-yun :v:

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
There used to be a site that looked like it was designed in the late 90's with links to .wav files of some guy pronouncing all these beer names and styles, but it looks like it's no longer up, which is a real shame.

edit: Here we go, thanks to the wayback machine

http://web.archive.org/web/20080714010835/http://belgianstyle.com/mmguide/pronounce/speak.html

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

So need a recommendation from you guys.

I think on Thursday night, I'm taking a friend out for dinner at a Mediterranean restaurant. It's a BYOB place, and we are both beer lovers.

We both like a wide range of beers, and I'm looking for something impressive to bring to dinner that will pair well with a meal of shwarma , falafel , hummus, etc.

Help?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Mediterranean screams big, crisp lager or a tripel to me.

Personally I'd be thrilled to just have a Weihenstephaner or an Elliot Ness, but neither are impressive/rare at all.

As for a tripel, there are shitloads of great ones, imported and otherwise. (La Fin Du Monde, St. Benardus, Chimay, Karmeliet, etc)

e: Saisons would be an interesting pairing too

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 26, 2013

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

It's not about being a rare beer, we've both had our fair share of those.

I just want something that pairs well with the meal, so I seem to know what I'm doing with regards to pairings.

I have a case of La Fin Du Monde in my cellar, which is one she's never had, but we both love Karmeliet and I could get a gift set and score another cool glass... hmm.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I'm hard pressed to think of anything a saison wouldn't pair well with (maybe desserts? haha). I'd go with something crisp or a tripel. Karmeliet or La Fin Du Monde would be a solid bet.

Cracked open a Barrel-Aged Bigfoot and it's quite impressive now. Very robust slow sipper and I'm excited on how it'll evolve with time.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

What It Dooski posted:

Think 'Succubus' and put an ah on the end instead. At least that's how I see it and say it.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

second/thirding a saison. like -air said, there's not much they won't play well with (provided they are a super-funky brett beer), and you don't want something that will overpower the food.

while we're on the topic- and forgive me if i've shared this before- i had a Norwegian tell me that Nogne-0 is pronounced "noog-nyeh oo."

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

funkybottoms posted:

second/thirding a saison. like -air said, there's not much they won't play well with (provided they are a super-funky brett beer), and you don't want something that will overpower the food.

while we're on the topic- and forgive me if i've shared this before- i had a Norwegian tell me that Nogne-0 is pronounced "noog-nyeh oo."

Yup, have heard that the most often.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2tiYTBbRHk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fblC_jMDlbQ

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

I went to that Sour fest they did earlier this year and it was nuts to butts all the way around and I left before even getting a single beer because it was hot and uncomfortable all around. :(

The only reason I got to taste much at that clusterfuck was I had a big enough party we squatted a table and went to the bar two at a time to get tasters for the table. Add on the couple of times the waitress got to our table over the two hours we stayed and we got a decent number of things tasted. Churchill's is a nice place and all, but they should think about adding a tent to the parking lot for events like that, or maybe expand (which would ruin the pub feeling, but hey).

I agree with the Mediterranean pairing suggestions people have made, and I want to add some more. Let's start with rauchbier. The smokiness will go well with the rich, olive-oil-heavy mezze like hummus, and it's a natural pairing with grilled meats like gyro and shawarma. I'm also a big fan of pairing citrusy-hop-forward beers with olives, especially salt-cured since they have higher bitterness that compliments the hops. Firestone DBA was the first beer I discovered this pairing with, but Sculpin or something citra-heavy would be a good choice too. Finally, any time you have lamb (even in gyro form) you should consider something with fruit. Maybe a nice lambic (heavy on the tart to cut through the meat's fat), but even something like Pyramid Apricot would go pretty well with the bulk of the meal.

Herbal beers might be fun to play with. Gruits are made with a lot of herbs that could do interesting (or catastrophic) things to the meal. Also look for beers that specifically use the flavors used in Mediterranean cooking - raisins, thyme, mint, nuts, saffron, etc. Raison D'Être comes to mind. Also that new DFH abomination that has thyme in it, I forget the name. It tastes like Old Bay. That might work here.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I think that the people who say variations of 'gerz' for gueuze are just trying to explain that vowel sound to the American ear. It's a bit further back in the throat than 'uh' somewhat like 'oo.'

fullroundaction posted:

Every time someone in my house says "duchesse de bourgogne" we pronounce it differently. Just kind of put on a fake French accent and hope for the best :shobon:

I'm glad someone else does this. I like "Do-cheesey day bore-gog-knee"

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ChickenArise posted:

I think that the people who say variations of 'gerz' for gueuze are just trying to explain that vowel sound to the American ear. It's a bit further back in the throat than 'uh' somewhat like 'oo.'

I'm glad someone else does this. I like "Do-cheesey day bore-gog-knee"

That's my tactic for Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge as well.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
It's most important that you pronounce Unibroue as "unibrow".

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Glottis posted:

It's most important that you pronounce Unibroue as "unibrow".

Wait, is this real?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I think he is joking, get it? I've heard it "uni-brew".

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Midorka posted:

I think he is joking, get it? I've heard it "uni-brew".

Yeah me too, kind of just wishing it was actually uni-brow

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Transatlantique Kriek. Yay or nay?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Captain Shortbus posted:

Transatlantique Kriek. Yay or nay?

Reading reviews (and never having had the beer), it sounds very sweet. If you like sweet fruit beers you might want to give it a shot, but if you're like me and want more tart and funky, probably stay away.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

crazyfish posted:

Reading reviews (and never having had the beer), it sounds very sweet. If you like sweet fruit beers you might want to give it a shot, but if you're like me and want more tart and funky, probably stay away.

I've had it, this is a pretty fair assessment. Very mild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Wort Eagle?

Auburn University to Offer Masters Certification in Brewing Science