Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

Vertical Lime posted:

I live in the NYC area and another message board killed WABC for having infomercials on a Saturday morning when parts of the area were getting a couple of feet of snow earlier this month. They might be in even bigger trouble now that Clear Channel recently brought another talk station and everyone is assuming Rush and such are gonna move there the first chance they get.

On a related note, I heard their co-owned right wing talk station in DC was singled out by the company for under-performing even though they did make the FM switch. You can only put up with hearing the same viewpoints for so long.

And how can I forget that Jane Fonda showed up last night too. That should reignite that incident from 40 years ago.

I worked at that other talk station (WOR) until the day CC officially took over in December. The way the station sale was handled was a mess from the word go...and I didn't want to work for CC anyways after hearing the horror stories from others. CC will be moving Rush over as soon as the Cumulus contract is over...but they may not get Hannity due to the way the deal was done with Citadel regarding airing the show on what was the ABC O&O's.

Yeah...the DC station is sucking wind against WAMU (NPR outlet) and WTOP. Content is still king, and putting FM lipstick on a pig doesn't fix the demo issues RW talk radio has.

Huckabee is doing horribly ratings wise for Cumulus, but since they distribute the show and own the bulk of the affiliate's, so long as they make a few bucks they don't care. Easier to pay a $14/hr board opp (or in most cases...just program the automation) than pay for full time talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Radio Nowhere posted:

Yep WMAL moved to a FM simulcast over a year ago and the ratings overall since then have gone DOWN. Maybe there's the slightest chance the demos improved but when the overall audience goes down when moving to a better signal and medium maybe they should reconsider what they're doing.

There's also that you can receive a basic AM station a lot further and more consistently in a service area then FM, and I'd bet a lot of the "move the talker to FM" things end up with having less reception in the given radio market.

WMAL-AM reach:

WMAL-FM reach:

Now of course, WMAL is still simulcast, so they do still have all that range. But for other stations that have moved entirely to FM, this is probably part of why they struggle even more for ratings.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Install Gentoo posted:

There's also that you can receive a basic AM station a lot further and more consistently in a service area then FM, and I'd bet a lot of the "move the talker to FM" things end up with having less reception in the given radio market.

Now of course, WMAL is still simulcast, so they do still have all that range. But for other stations that have moved entirely to FM, this is probably part of why they struggle even more for ratings.

In a perfect situation you're right. But AM suffers terribly from interference indoors (electronic gadget noise) and poorer AM radios if a radio even has AM. Also ratings only matter in the home market, not if a AM signal can be picked up 100 miles away on the eastern shore (using WMAL-AM). WMAL-FM made the station easier to find and hear overall in the DC market and the ratings went down. WTOP did this, moving from a strong AM signal to FM signal, and their ratings went way up. So not a signal issue, totally programming problems. Maybe government employees don't want to listen to a station totally poo poo on them 24/7 ?

Edit: 20 minutes into Limbaugh's Moo-chelle rant ...

Radio Nowhere fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 25, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Does he actually call her that? Has he SEEN her body?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

greatn posted:

When has facts gotten in the way of Rush or Rush's listeners?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

greatn posted:

One of the oddities of hard-right talk radio hosts and their listeners is that they're positively convinced that Michelle Obama is a fat, ugly woman rather than an athletic, attractive woman.

She's just shy of 50 years old and a mother of two kids. Regular exercise and a sensible diet do amazing things.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Install Gentoo posted:

It depends - most radios suck balls when it comes to AM reception, noise from power lines, newer traffic lights, and other electronic devices has rendered even the big 50kw blasters neutered in many major metropolitan areas. There's also the fact that many radios are FM only (especially newer portables)...and overcoming the fact that many people under 40 never even think to go to the AM band due to the lovely sound quality and awful reception due to the nub antennas on most cars, and the crappy receivers.

FM can have multipath issues, but for most markets a FM will be better than a AM - especially if the pattern changes at night, or if it has co-channel interference with other stations skipping in. The issue with WMAL-FM is that it's a rimshot...kind of like WNEW-FM 99.1. It covers the market, but not as good as a station like WASH-FM.

CBS Radio has begun putting it's sports franchises on FM - even with stations like 660 WFAN & 610 WIP having some of the best AM signals in their respective markets to keep the demos where they need to be for ad buys. AM is dying...guys like Rush gave it new life after all the music formats migrated to FM 20+ years ago. But even moves to FM can't save these guys in the major markets from the NPR outlets and news stations. Should be fun to watch over the next few years...

Edit: Radio Nowhere beat me to it!

bigtom fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 25, 2013

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I have a chestpiece tattoo championing AM radio. What a terrible mistake :(

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Zeroisanumber posted:

One of the oddities of hard-right talk radio hosts and their listeners is that they're positively convinced that Michelle Obama is a fat, ugly woman rather than an athletic, attractive woman.

She's just shy of 50 years old and a mother of two kids. Regular exercise and a sensible diet do amazing things.

They try to shoehorn her into the "fat loud black woman" stereotype for their racist fans.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

And if their butthurt wasn't already a known understanding, I find it funny that we have 30 years of the WWE propping stories on insensitive stereotypes and it's the Bagger story line that gets the pubbies butt hurt.
Oh, absolutely. The WWE had a giant storyline/stable making fun of the PTC as revenge for the ridiculous number of FCC complaints, they've done every ethnic stereotype imaginable, they've done some really phenomenally sexist stuff now and then, and there have been some storylines (like that one necrophilia angle) that even hardcore wrestling fans totally hated. But apparently making fun of poor people, rich people, black people, Japanese people, Mexicans, fat people, little people, the Irish, and women is fine, but mocking the tea party is where it went over the line.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Radio Nowhere posted:

In a perfect situation you're right. But AM suffers terribly from interference indoors (electronic gadget noise) and poorer AM radios if a radio even has AM. Also ratings only matter in the home market, not if a AM signal can be picked up 100 miles away on the eastern shore (using WMAL-AM). WMAL-FM made the station easier to find and hear overall in the DC market and the ratings went down. WTOP did this, moving from a strong AM signal to FM signal, and their ratings went way up. So not a signal issue, totally programming problems. Maybe government employees don't want to listen to a station totally poo poo on them 24/7 ?

Edit: 20 minutes into Limbaugh's Moo-chelle rant ...

The other thing about WTOP was that it's former main AM signal couldn't be heard at all in Virginia (and yet I could hear it at night some 200 miles away northeast). When DC radio signals were established they weren't prepared for the population boom in the metro area they've had in recent years.

Going back on topic, yep, Rush didn't disappoint.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I just heard a the best ever Rush advert as I was pulling into the parking lot at work. Rush was hocking Mahindra Tractors, and talking them up as a great American commodity. Aren't they Indian?

I don't give a poo poo where the product is made, but the spin came off as if he were pushing John Deere or something to that effect.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Guilty Spork posted:

Oh, absolutely. The WWE had a giant storyline/stable making fun of the PTC as revenge for the ridiculous number of FCC complaints, they've done every ethnic stereotype imaginable, they've done some really phenomenally sexist stuff now and then, and there have been some storylines (like that one necrophilia angle) that even hardcore wrestling fans totally hated. But apparently making fun of poor people, rich people, black people, Japanese people, Mexicans, fat people, little people, the Irish, and women is fine, but mocking the tea party is where it went over the line.

It really stings when you're the target of mockery or discrimination, but sadly, I feel like the moral of the story will be lost on them.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Guilty Spork posted:

They can dish it out, but can't take it - I think they fundamentally cannot grasp the concept of humor...whenever they try to go toe to toe with Stewart or Colbert (or Franken), it fails spectacularly.

I may start to watch the WWE now...this stuff sounds like it's pretty funny if you just take it at face value.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

bigtom posted:

I may start to watch the WWE now...this stuff sounds like it's pretty funny if you just take it at face value.

Keep in mind we handpicked like seven storylines from roughly a decade of 5+ hours of television a week. Its nowhere near as charming as it sounds.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

bigtom posted:

It's like a soap opera for stupid men.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

Rockopolis posted:

That makes them sound vulnerable to hacking, actually. How long before they start broadcasting Chinese propaganda?
Although somewhat more covertly, that seems good for stenography; talk about dog whistles.

C'mon, you don't think someone hadn't thought of that already? CC got beat to the punch...

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2011/07/01/china_radio_takes_to_the_airwaves_in_boston/

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The problem with conservative humor is that it's all

quote:

There will be no laughter, except the laugh of triumph over a defeated enemy.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

eggsovereasy posted:

It's like a soap opera for stupid men.

There's a South Park that magnificently captures the spirit of Pro Wrestling. Find it and watch it you have not already.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Conservative humor isn't funny because we normally laugh AT Elmer Fudd when Bugs gets the best of him, not WITH him when he attacks Bugs Bunny.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

The_Raven posted:

C'mon, you don't think someone hadn't thought of that already? CC got beat to the punch...

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2011/07/01/china_radio_takes_to_the_airwaves_in_boston/

China Radio is in a few US markets, DC and Houston come come to mind (there's certainly many others). They buy time on leased AM stations. Their communist content is more informative and less offensive then the media wing of a major US political party.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Pro wrestling at least honestly admits to being brainless entertainment, which for me puts it far above the average right wing hack.

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001
Didn't stop John Stosel's dumb rear end from getting punched in the face trying to prove that wrestling is fake.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

JumpinJackFlash posted:

Didn't stop John Stosel's dumb rear end from getting punched in the face trying to prove that wrestling is fake.

Correction, slapped so hard he went deaf in that ear.

Dr. D David Schultz was a hero among men for that.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

JumpinJackFlash posted:

You have to remember that back then wrestlers where terrified that if everyone found out that it was all fake then they'd stop coming and they'd be out of a job. By wandering in, being condescending and accusing it of being fake it gave wrestlers two choices. Ignore him and walk away thus giving light to the fact that they weren't the violent lunatics they portrayed or punch them in the face like Buzz Aldrin did to that Truther idiot.

He's just lucky it was the 1970's and not the 1940's where a journalist confronted Dory Funk Sr while he ate with his family and so Dory Funk beat the poo poo out of him and tried to literally bite a chunk out of the reporter's arse.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Rockopolis posted:

That makes them sound vulnerable to hacking, actually. How long before they start broadcasting Chinese propaganda?
Although somewhat more covertly, that seems good for stenography; talk about dog whistles.

Easy....just hijack the EAS encoder! Somewhat easy to do, since engineers sometimes forget to change the default passowrds. Like this guy did for the Zombie attack in Montana: http://www.mercurynews.com/weird-news/ci_22589105/hack-that-broadcast-zombie-attack-warning-due-easy

That reminds me...I should check to see if our EAS units are still on the factory defaults...

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Going back to WWE, they've decided to induct Trump into their Hall of Fame. He let them host 2 Wrestlemanias and he's a good friend of Vince McMahon's.

That'll improve their image.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Vertical Lime posted:

Going back to WWE, they've decided to induct Trump into their Hall of Fame. He let them host 2 Wrestlemanias and he's a good friend of Vince McMahon's.

That'll improve their image.

This is all to spite glenn beck. Glenn beck did his stuff, poo poo on the wwe and vince said "Ok, come onto raw this monday I will give you 5 uninterrupted minutes to say what you want to the WWE about this LIVE." Glenn blew it off, and vince well vince is insane and now we are likely to have 3 solid hours tonight of just making GBS threads on beck. :allears:

Information given to me via irc.

[19:09] <@vlime> Glenn Beck has declined WWE’s invitation to address our fans live tonight on Raw, in response to a segment that aired on TheBlaze last week where Beck referenced WWE as “stupid wrestling people.” Instead, WWE is sending a video crew to Beck’s studios to get comment from the talk show host and political commentator. Tune-in to Monday Night Raw tonight at 8/7C on USA Network to see if Beck
[19:09] <@vlime> responds.

:allears: This will be a good night.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 26, 2013

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I just had the pleasure of listening to Marketplace whitewash the whole European beef scandal. Apparently it's "no big deal" because really, who believed that there was actually beef inside that package of "100% beef"? It's an "ick" issue, not a "food safety" issue. In fact, it even may be a good thing if you were a humane-minded locovore, because what if the horses were locally grown and raised humanely? WE JUST DON'T KNOW, KAI.

...or maybe it's diseased old racehorses pumped full of unsafe drugs like the tests seem to be showing, and the fact that "we just don't know" where the meat came from is actually a huge food safety issue in and of itself.

:airquote: left wing media :airquote:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Paul MaudDib posted:

I just had the pleasure of listening to Marketplace whitewash the whole European beef scandal. Apparently it's "no big deal" because really, who believed that there was actually beef inside that package of "100% beef"? It's an "ick" issue, not a "food safety" issue. In fact, it even may be a good thing if you were a humane-minded locovore, because what if the horses were locally grown and raised humanely? WE JUST DON'T KNOW, KAI.

...or maybe it's diseased old racehorses pumped full of unsafe drugs like the tests seem to be showing, and the fact that "we just don't know" where the meat came from is actually a huge food safety issue in and of itself.

NPR = Nice Polite Republicans

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Eh, I heard that segment, which was actually from PRI's The World.

http://www.theworld.org/2013/02/hor...ture-giant-ikea

The guy they interview is a food writer and is obviously approaching it from a culinary perspective first, but does acknowledge that there are severe implications in regard to the safety of the food supply and truth in advertising. Not exactly the best take on the subject, but I think calling it whitewashing is going a bit too far.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

Correction, slapped so hard he went deaf in that ear.

Dr. D David Schultz was a hero among men for that.

I went looking for this video thinking it would be amusing -- because gently caress John Stossel -- but that wrestler's clearly a tremendous rear end in a top hat for doing it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So the wwe rather then spending the entire program mocking glenn beck, sent one of their main commentators with a crew to his studio minutes before beck went on the air. Beck wouldn't even have his people say he was in the building. And then they called him a coward for not even responding then. Vince seems to be playing a longer game... Also Donald Trump is entering the WWE hall of fame (as a celebrity) I am not sure how much the donald is in favor with the republican and right wing media crowd but he does like him some Wrassling.

http://www.wwe.com/videos/wwe-interview-request-for-glenn-beck-february-25-2013-26094428 Linky Linky.

Now will beck respond? Because I love seeing trainwrecks.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

AtomikKrab posted:

So the wwe rather then spending the entire program mocking glenn beck, sent one of their main commentators with a crew to his studio minutes before beck went on the air. Beck wouldn't even have his people say he was in the building. And then they called him a coward for not even responding then. Vince seems to be playing a longer game... Also Donald Trump is entering the WWE hall of fame (as a celebrity) I am not sure how much the donald is in favor with the republican and right wing media crowd but he does like him some Wrassling.

http://www.wwe.com/videos/wwe-interview-request-for-glenn-beck-february-25-2013-26094428 Linky Linky.

Now will beck respond? Because I love seeing trainwrecks.

They're getting you hooked. In two weeks, the Glenn Beck-Vince McMahon cage match gets announced.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

cafel posted:

The guy they interview is a food writer and is obviously approaching it from a culinary perspective first, but does acknowledge that there are severe implications in regard to the safety of the food supply and truth in advertising. Not exactly the best take on the subject, but I think calling it whitewashing is going a bit too far.

I guess I just expected more from NPR's coverage of a critical food safety issue than having a food snob on to say "Heh, you plebs have no idea what you're putting in your mouth anyway :smug:".

And the "expert" did say straight up that it was perfectly safe, which is definitely not a given now that bute and other drugs are showing up in the meat. That's the problem with not knowing where it comes from, you don't know if it's got bute or Mad Cow Disease or who knows what in there because it didn't enter the meat supply though legitimate channels. For me this is where it crossed the line from being really bad coverage into outright Fox-level misinformation.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 26, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You are right about certain NPR shows being disingenuous, namely Allied Bank presents NPR's Planet Money brought to you by Allied Bank, sponsored by Allied Bank.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

I went looking for this video thinking it would be amusing -- because gently caress John Stossel -- but that wrestler's clearly a tremendous rear end in a top hat for doing it.

One of the rules at the time was that you always stayed in character no matter what. Dr. D's character was that he was a huge abusive redneck rear end in a top hat. He was also obeying McMahon's orders. Vince had essentially told the wrestlers to hit Stossel really hard if he tried to suggest it was fake. A similar thing happened with Hulk Hogan and Richard Belzer.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1iRdUwnFWo&feature=player_embedded

Michele Malkin, mother of god.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

One of the rules at the time was that you always stayed in character no matter what. Dr. D's character was that he was a huge abusive redneck rear end in a top hat. He was also obeying McMahon's orders. Vince had essentially told the wrestlers to hit Stossel really hard if he tried to suggest it was fake. A similar thing happened with Hulk Hogan and Richard Belzer.

Is that actually true? If it is, shouldn't either the wrestlers or McMahon himself have been charged with assault?

The video of Hogan dropping Richard Belzer like a bag of rocks is nuts. Even the Hulk has an "oh poo poo, this is bad" look on his face when he sees the back of Belzer's head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7n_SHrK408

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Is that actually true? If it is, shouldn't either the wrestlers or McMahon himself have been charged with assault?

The video of Hogan dropping Richard Belzer like a bag of rocks is nuts. Even the Hulk has an "oh poo poo, this is bad" look on his face when he sees the back of Belzer's head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7n_SHrK408

quote:

On December 28, 1984, during an interview for 20/20 on professional wrestling, wrestler David Schultz struck Stossel after Stossel stated that he thought professional wrestling was "fake". Stossel stated that he suffered from pain and buzzing in his ears eight weeks after the assault.[74] Stossel sued and obtained a settlement of $425,000 from the World Wrestling Federation (WWF). In his book, Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity, he writes that he has come to regret doing so, having adopted the belief that lawsuits harm many innocent people.[75] Schultz maintains that he attacked Stossel on orders from Vince McMahon, the head of the then-WWF.[76]