Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Mujahid entering Kabul, 1992

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Sword of Chomsky posted:

So Michelle Malkin tried to make fun of the first lady, and ended up embarrassing herself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1iRdUwnFWo

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/theres-a-conservative-parody-of-michelle-obamas-evolution-of

I love the faces she makes. You can feel the spite and hatred emanating from her dance moves.

How is she even relevant still? Are we Americans that shallow?

(found here: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/2966593/posts)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
You're all going to hate me for this.

New study came out this week on our favorite subject.

http://www.nber.org/papers/w18773

quote:

The findings from this paper indicate that while bicycle helmet laws are widespread and thought to be effective, the net effect of these laws on health outcomes is actually not straight-forward. It is clear that there are offsetting behaviors and unintended consequences of these 21 laws, and these effects need to be considered by policymakers.

It seems to me after doing a brief reading, that while there is a definite decrease in the number of children hurt, it may be resulting in less people riding bikes. I say it is worth it.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

anonumos posted:

How is she even relevant still? Are we Americans that shallow?

(found here: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/2966593/posts)

Must be the insane snarl that does it for them.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joe-Bob
May 12, 2005

GO BIG RED
College Slice

Sword of Chomsky posted:

It seems to me after doing a brief reading, that while there is a definite decrease in the number of children hurt, it may be resulting in less people riding bikes. I say it is worth it.

Ahhhhhhhhh!!

But really, that's an interesting study.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sword of Chomsky posted:

Cool, make them mandatory for kids, but not adults, problem solved.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Does anyone else think this picture looks a little... off?

In today's conservative PAC news, we have racism, sexism, conspiracy theory and jingoism all wrapped up in a nice slimeball from Progress Kentucky:

...Oh wait, did I say conservative? Sadly, Progress Kentucky is ostensibly progressive. (more context)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Broken Machine posted:

In today's conservative PAC news, we have racism, sexism, conspiracy theory and jingoism all wrapped up in a nice slimeball from Progress Kentucky:

...Oh wait, did I say conservative? Sadly, Progress Kentucky is ostensibly progressive. (more context)

Good to know that race baiting isn't limited to one party. Way to make us all look bad Kentucky!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

spankmeister posted:

Cool, make them mandatory for kids, but not adults, problem solved.

Here it isn't mandatory to wear a helmet, but I've never seen a person that rides bikes seriously that doesn't use one because you'd have to be an idiot not to. Like, best friend has crashed a few times and poo poo, had some nasty scratches and cuts and bruises, even half-broke his helmet once but at least he's not dead.

That smug loving smile. :allears:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

More:
http://kal-elle.tumblr.com/post/44092839017/taureanwar-celebrate-black-history-month

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Broken Machine posted:

Hashtag #wife, that's sure gonna take off.

quote:

For italian workers in the construction industry, crippled by the recession, yesterday [february 13 i guess?] was 'La Giornata della Collera' - 'the Day of Anger'.
In front of the milan stock exchange, workers, laborers, clerks, surveyors, architects and real estate agents brought attention to a sector that in the past five years,
according to data from the center for economic research and market sociology, has lost 157 thousand companies as well as 893 thousand employees.

That statue is just straight pimpin'.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Someone needs to photoshop the word black on all of the "answers"

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 27, 2013

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Broken Machine posted:

It seems like the only thing progressive about the organization is that it has "progress" in its name. After looking at the website, and PAC's tweets the only mission objective is to out Mitch McConnell and have any kind of (D) senator instead. There is about zero mention of any kind of issue at all other than the idea of Ditch Mitch. The entire about us page consists of two things: 1. Mitch is a dumb head. 2. Here's how you give us money.

http://www.progresskentucky.com/index.php/about-us

quote:

The people who started and support Progress Kentucky are united behind three simple convictions:

First, we can’t keep going on like this. McConnell’s been in Washington too long.

Second, Kentucky deserves better than this. Our kids deserve a better future than this.

And third, it’s up to all us to bring the change about. No one else is going to do it for us.
McConnell is an Ancient Turtleman. We can do better than this Turtleman. Only our kind can slay this Turtleman.

Such a hilariously narrow focus leads to the WORST GOD drat political video I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S66labClrvY
You hear that, Mitchy? YOU GOING DOWN!

But that's not all! As of today they are still putting out anti-Chinese garbage:

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 18, 2014

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Snoggle posted:

It seems like the only thing progressive about the organization is that it has "progress" in its name. After looking at the website, and PAC's tweets the only mission objective is to out Mitch McConnell and have any kind of (D) senator instead. There is about zero mention of any kind of issue at all other than the idea of Ditch Mitch. The entire about us page consists of two things: 1. Mitch is a dumb head. 2. Here's how you give us money.

I've met at least one of the guys running this poo poo, and they're basically the worst. I don't know what they put in the water in Louisville but it makes people like bad basketball teams and do other dumb poo poo.

edit - That being said, if they actually focused on the conflict of interests that McConnell is absolutely riddled with it'd win them more friends among the reality-based community. I'm not really sure who they're reaching out to, since the hardcore 'progressive' contingent of the Central Kentucky area is going to be turned off by anything that's vaguely associated with race-baiting and convincing anyone that isn't a self-identified 'progressive' in this state about the views of an organization with 'progressive' in the title is kinda difficult. That aside, considering a major Central KY employer is loving Toyota of all places and the university has a ton of students from Asia, I really don't know who would loving go for it anyway.

That being said, even the democrats down here are racist as gently caress.

kitten emergency fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 27, 2013

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

:holy:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

edit: I looked into this non-story and it seems the woman in the Perry photo has been harassed constantly over the last day and removed her Tumblr account :smith:

Chamale fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 27, 2013

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!

Muhammad Ali posted:

“I ain’t got no quarrel with them Viet Cong... No Viet Cong ever called me friend of the family."

quote:

Colin Powell posted:

"In direct refutation of this portrayal is the fact that relations between Americal Division soldiers and the Vietnamese people are excellent."

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Does W.A.R. know something I don't?

The Observer
Jan 16, 2010

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

I'm a nice guy, hoping to have some fun on these forums, Lol

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

The question isn't what they think.

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
Conservative stand up

PART ONE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6fXzmeDMNY

PART TWO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cn9inCn8nE

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Hey, did you know Border Patrol agents are fond of destroying the food and water caches left in the desert crossing so people don’t die of hunger and thirst? 179 people died crossing between Mexico and Arizona last year, where this happened.

Way to contribute to the deaths of innocent people, sworn officers of the American government!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Border patrol is a racist magnet.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Was linked to this today, thought it was interesting.

It's the White House circa 1950, completely gutted while being renovated for the first time in ~150 years. Apparently they considered tearing it down and building anew as it would have been a bit less expensive, but Truman lobbied for restoration given the rich history.

More pics and article

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Context: Thomas Hamilton and other Klan leaders deliver a Christmas package to one of Augusta's African American citizens. (Robert J. Wilkinson Collection, Augusta Museum of History)

http://www.carter-klan.org/Hamilton.html

quote:

Thomas and Olive Hamilton were also instrumental in expanding the Klan’s influence in Augusta. Early in October, for example, during a Billy Graham revival in Augusta, the Klan’s Grand Dragon, Dr. Samuel Green chartered a women’s Ku Klux Klan in Augusta. Though the Grand Dragon refused to reveal their actual numbers, he said that “the Augusta women had the minimum requirement of 100 more than three months ago.” The Grand Dragon also told the press that the number of klansmen in the Augusta Klavern “spurted forward 500 in membership in the past three months and is continuing that rapid growth.”

Less than a week after the Graham crusade ended, moreover, Hamitlon’s church, the Woodlawn Baptist Church, started its own revival. Not surprisingly, the Klan’s Grand Dragon, Dr. Samuel Green, appeared in Augusta on the second night of Woodlawn’s revival. This time he initiated 164 new Klansmen in ceremonies witnessed by some 1,000 members of the Augusta Klavern. The Klan was growing by “leaps and bounds,” Green explained, and Augusta had “a strong outfit” with “some of the best people in the community” as members. “The people in Georgia,” he stated, “are becoming more and more cognizant that they must fight for states’ rights, and they are beginning to do something about it.”

Woodlawn’s revival was in its final days on November 2 when the States’ Rights Democratic Party, with South Carolina Governor Strom Thurmond at its head, won only 4 states in the presidential elections: Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and South Carolina. Indeed, the party quickly dissolved in the aftermath of President Harry Truman’s upset victory in 1948.

Hamilton and his family continued their efforts, however, to improve the Klan's image in Augusta. He and Olive led the local klavern in distributing food and money "toward brightening Christmas for Augusta's needy." The Augusta Chronicle briefly described the Klan campaign in an article accompanied by a photograph showing Hamilton and other Klan leaders sorting canned goods as his daughter Sally watches. Though the Klan "spokesman" interviewed for the story was never identified by name, there can be little doubt it was Hamilton.

e: clarity and formatting

Only registered members can see post attachments!

anonumos fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 27, 2013

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Cruelty on the Border

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Machine posted:

Does anyone else think this picture looks a little... off?

I'm a former Progress Missouri staffer. Assuming they're all part of the same franchise, Progress _______ is basically a labor backed progressive political action group.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Peven Stan posted:

I'm a former Progress Missouri staffer. Assuming they're all part of the same franchise, Progress _______ is basically a labor backed progressive political action group.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

quote:

Shane continued to scream in Maggie's face as Memphis wedged herself between them. At some point, the toddler had stopped crying and began trying to soothe her weeping mother.

http://lightbox.time.com/2013/02/27/photographer-as-witness-a-portrait-of-domestic-violence/

A photo essay that captures domestic violence in the act.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

The first time I saw this it was with the joke "In an alternate universe, white president Barry Obama is beloved by Republicans everywhere for cutting taxes, instituting market based health care reform, killing Osama and bombing enemy nations with drones."

I will never grow tired of this picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Buenos...er...ah....dios

• Locked thread