Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
So will Mailbox be good for someone who doesn't use labels at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

So will Mailbox be good for someone who doesn't use labels at all?

Should be, it ignores them.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I've been using Mailbox for a couple of weeks and I'm not that sold on their mailbox zero method. It seems like I just tend to push stuff into the future and then when it pops up next week, I do the same thing. So I have nothing in my inbox I guess but everyday I get new "fake" mail from last week cluttering it up. Eventually I archive it but I'm just not sure it's better than having a small inbox.

(I got in because they had an exploit in day 1 that let you register by changing a plist value in the app binary.)

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I use Google Tasks quite a bit. Is there any recommended app that integrates well with it?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I use Google Tasks quite a bit. Is there any recommended app that integrates well with it?

Doesn't the built in Reminders app work with this?

Edit: No, I guess it doesn't... I don't know why I thought it did.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I tried a free app called GoTasks the other day which seemed pretty good. Worth a look.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

echobucket posted:

Doesn't the built in Reminders app work with this?

Edit: No, I guess it doesn't... I don't know why I thought it did.

And normally while I am fine with the built-in stuff (I use the calendar and mail app just fine and don't get this mailbox.app hullabaloo), the Reminders app is really ehhhh. I hate using it.

e: oh and while I'm here, thank you guys for the sleep cycle recommendation. It's helpful and good.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

the Reminders app is really ehhhh. I hate using it.

The geofencing can be really useful though. Telling Siri to remind me of something when I get to work or leave home is great.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Chuck Bartowski posted:

The geofencing can be really useful though. Telling Siri to remind me of something when I get to work or leave home is great.

I've had a lot of trouble with it working properly. Sometimes it won't remind me at all, and other times it reminds me when I'm miles away from my destination.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Gio posted:

I've had a lot of trouble with it working properly. Sometimes it won't remind me at all, and other times it reminds me when I'm miles away from my destination.

That's not good. Haven't had that happen to me though :shrug:

Things is my go-to ToDo app, but I'm trying out Any.DO right now.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I've said it before, but I love Any.do because it has a browser app + phone app and it does reminders. Pretty much all I need. Also the "moment" in the morning helps get everything setup for the day.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
Currently in Gmail I can send emails from 4 accounts and I've just installed the Mailbox app but it doesn't let me to select on the 'from' field any of the others I have configured in Gmail.

Is there any setting im missing or is it just impossible at this stage?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I personally rather love Reminders. I do a lot of webex trainings, so right as I schedule one I press the Siri button and say something like:

"Remind me Friday at 9:00 am...Meeting with Joe Smith at 10:00 am."

It's beautiful.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Downloaded the Mailbox app and finally got access to it. Uninstalled it within 15 minutes. I don't like it at all.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

OptimusMatrix posted:

Downloaded the Mailbox app and finally got access to it. Uninstalled it within 15 minutes. I don't like it at all.

Not in the queue yet myself, but what allowance is there for someone who uses labels extensively to organise my email, does it make allowances for that? Seems like it's mainly archive / delete if you use it the way they demonstrate it. Never mind the whole, another company gets to see all your email thing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Maluco Marinero posted:

Not in the queue yet myself, but what allowance is there for someone who uses labels extensively to organise my email, does it make allowances for that? Seems like it's mainly archive / delete if you use it the way they demonstrate it. Never mind the whole, another company gets to see all your email thing.

You can keep using labels but you'll need to make some modifications.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

PaganGoatPants posted:

Also the "moment" in the morning helps get everything setup for the day.

I LOVE this feature. I feel ready to tackle the day after I'm done with it. Everyone should give any.do a try, just to see Moment in action. And the simple, clean interface makes reading information quick and painless.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

OptimusMatrix posted:

It's interesting how polarizing Mailbox is. What didn't you like about it?

I've been using it for a few weeks and I'm still happy with it, with the exception of when I experienced downtime. My inbox has never been so clean and it's faster than the gmail app.

I'll never understand why labels are so important for people - you can bring up any archived email by searching for it.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I've been using it for a few weeks and I'm still happy with it, with the exception of when I experienced downtime. My inbox has never been so clean and it's faster than the gmail app.

I'll never understand why labels are so important for people - you can bring up any archived email by searching for it.
Me too I love it. Also lists are just as good as labels v:shobon:v

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

randyest posted:

Me too I love it. Also lists are just as good as labels v:shobon:v

And within about 180 seconds you can make all your labels into Lists, including all your existing labeled emails...

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
Mailbox is cool I just wish it weren't Gmail only. Full IMAP support please :(

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Legs Benedict posted:

Mailbox is cool I just wish it weren't Gmail only. Full IMAP support please :(

And ability to choose the "from" email address when sending....

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I just don't understand the need to archive poo poo. If I get a receipt from apple from an app I bought I just move it to my app receipt folder. What's the point of archiving things when my inbox does the same exact thing?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

OptimusMatrix posted:

I just don't understand the need to archive poo poo. If I get a receipt from apple from an app I bought I just move it to my app receipt folder. What's the point of archiving things when my inbox does the same exact thing?

Moving the email to another "folder" or label is the same thing as archiving it, except it's one large repository instead of having multiple labels for different things. It's still achieving the same end of getting the email out of the main inbox view.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
What's so hard to understand? You understand the process of labelling an email but not of moving an email out of the inbox?

The philosophy is that the inbox is for stuff you haven't dealt with yet. Labels organize everything else. The archive is just a repository of all your mail, labelled or otherwise. All Gmail does when you click 'Archive' is remove the Inbox label from the email. That's it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Here I'll simplify this for everyone:

If you are the kind of person that leaves things in your inbox as indicators that action needs to be taken, and only archive or label them once no more action is needed; you will probably like/love Mailbox.

If you are the kind of person who does not use your inbox as a list of actionable items, and just let it sort of stack up, you more than likely won't care too much about Mailbox.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Too bad it'll probably be a month+ before I can access Mailbox. I've only moved ~95k since I applied on Thursday. 710k to go :stare:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Aw, and it only does gmail? That sucks.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Great day for updates.

The new Spotify update is a much needed design overhaul and the new Awful update further improves on a great app.

bobdigi
Oct 6, 2004
yea you know who is he

Feenix posted:

And ability to choose the "from" email address when sending....

When composing an email, in the To: field, there is a small arrow next to the blue "plus" button that expands the To: field. It shows the From: field and from there you can change which account it sends from.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Hey there, I'd like to post about a project I'm working on crowdfunding through Pozible. (mod approved)

It's a web application for note-taking, calendars, next actions and projects, that follows a lot of the concepts from 'Getting Things Done'. It's called Elephant, and at the moment I have a desktop prototype that you can check out at http://elephantneverforgets.com.au . It runs as an offline web app so don't worry about me collecting personal data or anything nefarious like that, the only online functions are pulling up Google Maps on demand, and some anonymous analytics with absolutely nothing specific, just usage stats.

You'll find the method of entering data pretty unique. You take notes, record calendar entries, tasks and projects all within the one text based interface. This is easier to show than explain, so here's a video:
http://youtu.be/NLT0TlCm5SU

While not an iOS app, the intention of this project is to turn the prototype into a full service that would have an improved desktop web app, a mobile web app, and sync between the lot. Both the mobile and desktop app would support offline access and storage so it's faster than your average cloud app, and still works when the net is down. This way you aren't really locked into one OS or another like say the OmniFocus stack, all you need is a modern browser which the majority of computers and smartphones can provide.

Long term I'd also like to eventually use PhoneGap to take advantage of native features of iOS, but the immediate plan is having a web app that will, at least at the start, have an API and sync with Google Calendars and Contacts.

Anyway, the Pozible project is at http://pozible.com/elephantneverforgets
Ask any questions you like, I'll do my best to answer them. If you think the project is interesting, please pledge or if you can't just share it around. I really can't do it without support so thanks a ton!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

bobdigi posted:

When composing an email, in the To: field, there is a small arrow next to the blue "plus" button that expands the To: field. It shows the From: field and from there you can change which account it sends from.

Doesn't seem so. I cannot change it.

(Unless I literally have to add a second account even though I have that gmail account forwarding to my Main gmail account on gmail)

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Speaking about e-mail, I was hoping you guys could help me out with an issue:

Using the built in Mail app, I'd like to be able to receive only mail from my Gmail account, but be able to send mail from both my gmail account, and my work account.

Basically, I centralize all of my email in my Gmail account, which works great when using desktop gmail because I can send as another account directly from there, but when using the Mail app I basically end up with duplicated emails.

Any suggestions?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I am looking for an app that will show me kickoff time for soccer games of teams I choose or just all of them in certain leagues I pick. I just need something to know what games are going to happen. There must be a good solution. :argh:

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

PaganGoatPants posted:

I am looking for an app that will show me kickoff time for soccer games of teams I choose or just all of them in certain leagues I pick. I just need something to know what games are going to happen. There must be a good solution. :argh:

Have you tried Yahoo's Sportacular?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Have you tried asking Siri?

She does a great job giving me times for NHL games.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

PaganGoatPants posted:

TheScore does this and even adds the games from your favorite teams to your calendar.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sportacular seems like what I need :woop: - The ability to pick my favorite teams and just be notified when they will be playing next.

e: Too bad it doesn't seem to have FA Cup, Copa del Rey, etc :smith:

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 27, 2013

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I use a Yahoo sports ics link for my teams, they might have full league calendars too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobdigi
Oct 6, 2004
yea you know who is he

Feenix posted:

Doesn't seem so. I cannot change it.

(Unless I literally have to add a second account even though I have that gmail account forwarding to my Main gmail account on gmail)

Yea I have two accounts setup and I can choose between the two. In your case I would agree that it won't work with your setup.

• Locked thread