Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

cubicle gangster posted:

Could they have been a dick and done a crt-a -> 'break' on all the vertices? I'm assuming they're not there anymore which is why you have to ask us.

Hazed_blue posted:

I'm not sure if Max still has this import poroblem, but you may want to convert the model into an editable poly immediately after importing it, and then doing a vertex weld.

edit: poly, not mesh

I checked that the verts are welded by moving them about. Guess I'll try doing that though to when I am at work again, although apparently it doesn't matter it is like that. But I want to solve the mystery just in case I encounter it again.

Internet Friend posted:

Stick an Edit Normals modifier on it to see what's going on and try unifying/resetting them?

I reset the normals to. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
This is great! I finally found out in Art of Illusion how child/parent relationships work. It's not just grouping, you can nest objects in a hierarchy like "headrest, seat, car".

Just messing around. I'm probably not going to be taking anyone's job here anytime soon. :downs:

Depth of field- good use or abuse?

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
DoF is too strong and has some weirdness going on in the back there. Also don't worry about that type of effect yet. Focus on modeling/texturing/lighting.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Just finished off my first, big, group project. Lots of heartbreak and effort was involved.
ROCKS.

I did all the animation past 27 seconds, plus all the previs stuff, bit of preproduction, bits and bobs. The director didn't really like deviating much from his ideas. Really I should've done all the animation, but I've been depressed recently because of reasons and I needed to reduce as much stress as possible.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Yip Yips posted:

DoF is too strong and has some weirdness going on in the back there. Also don't worry about that type of effect yet. Focus on modeling/texturing/lighting.

Yeah, I've got a long way to go with this. Did a little more tweaking.

You should have seen the other render - somehow the DoF did a sort of "double vision" effect in the background. Not sure how that works.

Megaspel posted:

Just finished off my first, big, group project. Lots of heartbreak and effort was involved.
[url=http://vimeo.com/60045182]ROCKS.

Dig the cell shading-ish look! Very cool!

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 22, 2013

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
The smoothing problem I am having is definitely an import bug, but the models come out fine in Softimage which is what my models are being used in so that is fine for now. :D

XyZeR
Apr 22, 2006
Polygon Tamer
The talent here is amazing!

I've just discovered the insane Multiscatter and Vrayscatter plugin for Vray, I've been using it to make abstract 3d stuff

In the right bottom part of the image i'm getting a weird white spot with a black outline, and some other black lines, anyone know how to fix this?
The scene is rendered with a Vray sun and a HDRI environment if that helps.

Edit: table-breaking img fixed

XyZeR fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 23, 2013

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Check the invisible box in the sun settings, don't use a sharpening filter when you render, check on sub-pixel mapping.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

XyZeR posted:

The talent here is amazing!

I've just discovered the insane Multiscatter and Vrayscatter plugin for Vray, I've been using it to make abstract 3d stuff

In the right bottom part of the image i'm getting a weird white spot with a black outline, and some other black lines, anyone know how to fix this?
The scene is rendered with a Vray sun and a HDRI environment if that helps.

Edit: table-breaking img fixed

It looks like the same thing is happening at the upper-right as well. Problem related?

It's pretty but for some reason this unnerves me at the same time.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 23, 2013

XyZeR
Apr 22, 2006
Polygon Tamer

cubicle gangster posted:

Check the invisible box in the sun settings, don't use a sharpening filter when you render, check on sub-pixel mapping.

^That must be it, I've been using a sharpening filter (mitchel- netravali)) so that might be the problem
Thnx for the tip, i'll see what it does when i re-render with sub pixel mapping checked.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Playing around with more modeling in Art of Illusion. Getting a hang of the programmatic textures as well - those are incredibly powerful once you get the hang of it.

First pass on this transformer:

Most recent revision:

Stupid rendering tricks: setting max 32rays/pixel min 16rays/pixel anti aliasing, then resizing it and saving it as an 85 quality JPEG. :suicide:

I also found that it's best in AOI to create two files - have one file that contains just the geometry or a "static scene", and if you're going to do something that's animated, work with that in a separate file based off the first. I've had issues where because of the keyframing, I'll forget I did an animation before, modify the geometry, save, and come back to find the modifications gone. Something like that.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 23, 2013

OtherCubed
Nov 12, 2008

:ese::saddowns:
Messing about, does anyone know any better ways to create interesting building variations in 4d?

I'm a sucker for sunsets:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

XyZeR posted:

^That must be it, I've been using a sharpening filter (mitchel- netravali)) so that might be the problem
Thnx for the tip, i'll see what it does when i re-render with sub pixel mapping checked.

The issue is due to the sun creating values way above the visible spectrum in your image.

read this - http://www.artbycrunk.com/research/fundamentals/anti-aliasing-filters-sampling/

See how the sharpening filters dip under the baseline? because you've got values so high, when it pushes the surrounding pixels down to create the extra contrast to appear sharp it goes way out of whack.

Everything I posted goes towards fixing it, but really, just don't use any filter. Blurring ones can create problems with masks and halo's if you do a strong adjustment, and sharpening ones create an absolute shitload of problems. Do any sharpening or blurring in post.

AA filters are stupid and I've been arguing with someone in work about this the past week. Who until a couple days ago thought that rendering without a filter also meant switching off all aa completely, which is why he ignored me when I told him to do it.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 24, 2013

XyZeR
Apr 22, 2006
Polygon Tamer

cubicle gangster posted:

The issue is due to the sun creating values way above the visible spectrum in your image.

read this - http://www.artbycrunk.com/research/fundamentals/anti-aliasing-filters-sampling/

See how the sharpening filters dip under the baseline? because you've got values so high, when it pushes the surrounding pixels down to create the extra contrast to appear sharp it goes way out of whack.

Everything I posted goes towards fixing it, but really, just don't use any filter. Blurring ones can create problems with masks and halo's if you do a strong adjustment, and sharpening ones create an absolute shitload of problems. Do any sharpening or blurring in post.

AA filters are stupid and I've been arguing with someone in work about this the past week. Who until a couple days ago thought that rendering without a filter also meant switching off all aa completely, which is why he ignored me when I told him to do it.

Thanks for those tips, I re- rendered the image yesterday, and turned off the invisibility of the Vraysun, and rendered it without a sharpening filter, with sub pixel mapping checked and it looks the way I intended it now.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

RizieN posted:

Thanks for the quick reply, Sorry I should've mentioned C4D. I've got everything done except the set selection option is greyed out, what could cause that?

You need to make the cube object 'Editable' to apply selected surfaces

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni
Hey dudes, I've been thinking about wanting to try my hand at game res stuff for practice and just to diversify myself a little. I started doing a sculpt of Draven from League of Legends just for practice. I don't know poo poo about what to do after the high poly sculpt, but hopefully I'll learn the process after this.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I love everything about that model, but the hands. They look like latex gloves with air puffed into them. If they're gonna be that bloated, they need some fine details (wrinkles, veines, etc) in there. Great job overall though.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

This is my first ever thing made in Zbrush. Try not to laugh too hard! :D

I think the model looks better without the Polypaint on but it was fun.

uglynoodles fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 25, 2013

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

XyZeR posted:

Thanks for those tips, I re- rendered the image yesterday, and turned off the invisibility of the Vraysun, and rendered it without a sharpening filter, with sub pixel mapping checked and it looks the way I intended it now.

Care to post it so that we can see the difference?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Welp, so much for that mad-as-hell-and-I-can't-it-anymore-speech from the R&H people or Ang Lee. Guess it's back to unionizing

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
ZzzzzzZzzzz working on big budget movies is boring anyways.

XyZeR
Apr 22, 2006
Polygon Tamer

Odddzy posted:

Care to post it so that we can see the difference?

Sure here:

*for some reason the thumbnail is not showing up for me so i linked it.

As you see the black lines (from the anti-aliasing filter)are gone.

XyZeR fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 25, 2013

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

BonoMan posted:

I love everything about that model, but the hands. They look like latex gloves with air puffed into them.

I think the trick here would be to tone down the "puffiness" in the palm, and probably scale down the size of the hands alltogether.

If you just reduce the puffiness it'll look better, but with the overall hand size it might look like the guy has Marfan Syndrome.

Still pretty drat impressive.

uglynoodles posted:

This is my first ever thing made in Zbrush. Try not to laugh too hard! :D

I think the model looks better without the Polypaint on but it was fun.

HWM lion. (Also pretty drat impressive nonetheless.) Is one issue that you are modeling that with something like clay, where to really get the features you'd need fur?

Are both of you guys using Maya?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

ceebee posted:

ZzzzzzZzzzz working on big budget movies is boring anyways.

The attitude isn't isolated to Hollywood, though. It speaks to a larger contempt for the arts in that people literally can't produce anything of high value without artists but at the same time expect artists to work for free or worse.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

HWM lion. (Also pretty drat impressive nonetheless.) Is one issue that you are modeling that with something like clay, where to really get the features you'd need fur?

Are both of you guys using Maya?

In theory I should be able to make or find some fur alphas which will help to give it texture.
I do use Maya, it's primarily what I've been learning on but this is Zbrush. It's like the second time I've ever booted up the program so I have no idea what to do really, haha. I tried using the Snakehook tool to make some whiskers but for some reason they weren't being symmetrical even with symmetry on, so I just left her as she was. (Also what's HWM?)

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

mutata posted:

The attitude isn't isolated to Hollywood, though. It speaks to a larger contempt for the arts in that people literally can't produce anything of high value without artists but at the same time expect artists to work for free or worse.

I was talking to an overseas studio and they called wages in California disproportional compared to [insert country here].

Well I guess I'm not hauling my rear end to [insert country here] then. :smug:

Artists are fairly bad when it comes to business sense, they'll take a meaningless title over a pay raise, will often work unpaid or for free, etc.

The math at VFX studios is horrible, they do the same thing as the artists, all the work comes from the same 5-6 big studios and that is it. For most places they are expected to accept fixed bids with no change orders and producers/directors pixel loving things while the VFX company eats the costs. Or when the studio outright breaks contracts and pulls work to give it to another studio after the fact...

Well except for when I worked at ILM, they always charged the clients for every single change because they were ILM.

I'm lucky I got some savings to sit on for a few months so I can ignore all the hilariously bad offers that are being tossed around. Some of my friends at R+H weren't so lucky and are still owed weeks of back pay.

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni

BonoMan posted:

I love everything about that model, but the hands. They look like latex gloves with air puffed into them. If they're gonna be that bloated, they need some fine details (wrinkles, veines, etc) in there. Great job overall though.

Thanks man! Yeah, you're totally right about the hands. I wanted to make them less defined since he is wearing gloves, but I went a little overboard with smoothing it and made it too puffy.

The whole VFX industry is looking down in the dumps these days, pretty scary. As Eoin said, it looks like Arch Viz is pretty booming, and the toy industry is pretty stable and well right now in my experience

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

SVU Fan posted:

The whole VFX industry is looking down in the dumps these days, pretty scary. As Eoin said, it looks like Arch Viz is pretty booming, and the toy industry is pretty stable and well right now in my experience

I think that's the ticket, there's good money and stability in other forms of CG work from accident recreation and other forms of forensic animation, CAD for rapid prototyping and CNC, product visualization, arch viz, etc.

Film VFX is sexy, and everyone and their dog wants in on that business to the point where they are willing to work for FREE to get their foots in the door.

Ah well, a few more years and I'm out :) I'll get a plasma cutter and a CNC machine and start making stuff with solidworks.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Geared Hub posted:

I was talking to an overseas studio and they called wages in California disproportional compared to [insert country here].

Well I guess I'm not hauling my rear end to [insert country here] then. :smug:

Artists are fairly bad when it comes to business sense, they'll take a meaningless title over a pay raise, will often work unpaid or for free, etc.

The math at VFX studios is horrible, they do the same thing as the artists, all the work comes from the same 5-6 big studios and that is it. For most places they are expected to accept fixed bids with no change orders and producers/directors pixel loving things while the VFX company eats the costs. Or when the studio outright breaks contracts and pulls work to give it to another studio after the fact...

Well except for when I worked at ILM, they always charged the clients for every single change because they were ILM.

I'm lucky I got some savings to sit on for a few months so I can ignore all the hilariously bad offers that are being tossed around. Some of my friends at R+H weren't so lucky and are still owed weeks of back pay.

It's annoying, because forming a trade guild would help the vfx houses as much as the artist. I'm starting to think they're all positioning themselves to be the last man standing thinking they'll suddenly be able to charge the studios what they like!

Best idea I heard was refusing to work overtime (for free), for a month or something, a big tentpole film will have to get delayed to achieve anything. I'm glad I left film and do commercials now, I'll see your Life of Pi and raise you an advert about cheese and a life!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Illuminti posted:

Best idea I heard was refusing to work overtime (for free), for a month or something, a big tentpole film will have to get delayed to achieve anything. I'm glad I left film and do commercials now, I'll see your Life of Pi and raise you an advert about cheese and a life!

I don't do OT for free and as far as I know, neither does any of my friends and ex-colleagues at any of the major VFX houses in NA. (London is a different story), so I honestly don't think it'll have any real effect.

The problem with any kind of labour with-holding action is that you will primarily hurt your employer, who will then get penalized by the studio.
For this to have any kind of real effect, we are talking a completely withdrawal of labour for 4+ weeks, *globally* and then the studios might start hurting.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Good point, I'm from London and I have to say it was quite a treat to work in Vancouver for 2 years and get overtime pay. I once worked 3 months of 12 to 18 hour days 6 days a week with no more pay than if i had done 9-5, 5 days a week.

Yet another reason why it's not a level playing field, even without subsidies, how are the American companies to compete with all the free labour in London!

But I agree, I don't want to hurt the vfx companies, but it looks like they might have to forced to grow some balls

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hmmm, strike action will count as force majeure (just checked), so in theory the VFX companies can't get penalized by the studios if the workers go on strike.....

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Geared Hub posted:

Film VFX is sexy, and everyone and their dog wants in on that business to the point where they are willing to work for FREE to get their foots in the door.
Ah well, a few more years and I'm out :) I'll get a plasma cutter and a CNC machine and start making stuff with solidworks.

This isn't that true though. You can't get people to work for free on such a high level of artistry. Most of the work coming out of the hellhole outsource companies usually churn out trash that needs to be severely cleaned up. I know everyone wants to think that just by throwing a shitload of underpaid, in-debt students at something will make it work but it won't.

The big issue are companies that are outsourced and funded by subsidies from the local governments. Cheaper work, contract labor with less rights, and funds that are being drained by the local economy. The original intention was that companies would stay put and add to the local economy after the subsidies stop but companies just close up immediately when they do.

I actually like working on grand artistry while getting paid for it and I and many others will be willing to fight for that.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

This seems like such a rookie question, but does anyone know what might be up with my Create Text tool dealy in Maya? I've tried to create text and one of letters in the word I'm trying to make will come out all kinds of funky, distorted, no matter what settings I try. I tried importing Illustrator curves instead but they import all bunched on top of each other. I haven't tried this on my desktop but the problem is on my laptop; I'll try to get a picture if anyone needs it!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Geared Hub posted:

I think that's the ticket, there's good money and stability in other forms of CG work from accident recreation and other forms of forensic animation, CAD for rapid prototyping and CNC, product visualization, arch viz, etc.

Yeah the trick really does seem to be, find that niche in an industry for whom CG is still "oh wow that is amazing! I will give you all the money to make cool things to impress clients/customers who are easily impressed!" as opposed to the VFX (AND game industry) who are like "yeah you can jump high, but this guy can jump higher. What else can you do for me?"

Illuminti posted:

Good point, I'm from London and I have to say it was quite a treat to work in Vancouver for 2 years and get overtime pay. I once worked 3 months of 12 to 18 hour days 6 days a week with no more pay than if i had done 9-5, 5 days a week.

drat, and I had always thought London had it good, but then again if you are the guys undercutting LA then you have to be hurting too. It's all one big game of financial sadomasochism. At least you guys already have benefits :colbert:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Yeah, the BC Government writing a check to the big 6 studios for 430-480 million worth of free money helped dry up work in California and the UK...

Got 2 job offers for Houdini FX work but its in Vancouver, looking at side stepping over from films to games now, lots of places seem to be hiring here and there for various positions, so I may be able to keep my feet stateside at least.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 27, 2013

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Geared Hub posted:

Yeah, the BC Government writing a check to the big 6 studios for 430-480 million worth of free money helped dry up work in California and the UK...

Got 2 job offers for Houdini FX work but its in Vancouver, looking at side stepping over from films to games now, lots of places seem to be hiring here and there for various positions, so I may be able to keep my feet stateside at least.

It is probably going to be ontario and montreal next. I would expect all those studios to leave Vancouver in a year or two tops.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
What about advertising places?
Someone like taylor james, who do incredible work and have offices in London & NYC - http://www.taylorjames.com/ (you can filter the work by cgi/retouching etc)

It's just vfx with smaller teams, quicker turnaround (& more varied work), and you work much closer to the directors. There's a shitload of money being spent on it and from all impressions I get the work is very secure.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 27, 2013

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

uglynoodles posted:

(Also what's HWM?)

HardWare Morph model - Kidding around of course, the lion is nowhere near what they showed here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

cubicle gangster posted:

It's just vfx with smaller teams, quicker turnaround (& more varied work), and you work much closer to the directors. There's a shitload of money being spent on it and from all impressions I get the work is very secure.

Quicker turnarounds just means quicker to layoff. Most small commercial houses work with contract based work. You're right in that it's very high profit but usually only for the company itself. Unless you're one of the lucky few that manage fulltime or get all your jobs lined up nicely(heh) then you're all set!

In other news, R/H is opening a study in Taiwan only a few weeks off of their LA Bankrupcy.
http://focustaiwan.tw/ShowNews/WebNews_Detail.aspx?Type=aECO&ID=201302280002