Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Is "brewing science" the "game design" of the 2010s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Is that a joke article or...? What the gently caress can you learn in 18 hours of classroom time? Might as well just read Palmer's How to Brew.

edit: rofl I missed that it's distance learning to boot.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 27, 2013

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

This is an 18-hour program. People are hardly "clamoring" to get it. There were a whopping 15 people interested before they got approved and a staggering 30 more after approval. UC Davis and Oregon State offer real degrees with real science involved with waiting lists years long.

In summary, this seems dumb.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I only posted it here because I wanted to make the Wort Eagle joke.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Ya, none of my :rolleyes: is directed towards you. Mostly Auburn and the author.

That stupid article posted:

The kind of skilled brewers that Auburn will train can make a lot of money, they can strike out and start their own businesses, and breweries are good for the economy in a number of ways

Yup, because as we all know, brewers are Scrooge McDucking in pools of gold and most small businesses are super successful and lucrative.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Wort eagle sounds like the most delicious skateboarding move ever invented.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
So is that the first college cashing in on the brewing phenomena? If there's ever been a scam in this type of stuff then that is it. 18 hour "masters course" is a joke.

Edit: "Distance learning" wow. This is going to really make a laugh of the college, or a laugh at those who have real degrees.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Tigren posted:

This is an 18-hour program. People are hardly "clamoring" to get it. There were a whopping 15 people interested before they got approved and a staggering 30 more after approval. UC Davis and Oregon State offer real degrees with real science involved with waiting lists years long.

In summary, this seems dumb.

And note that it's not a Master's Degree, it's a "master's certification."

So I think the most important part of the class will be remembering to set your printer to Landscape, not Portrait, when they email you the little pdf of your certificate.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like how the first sentence of the article makes it sound like there are great microbreweries popping up all over the place and then looking around in frustration for qualified brewers to push the buttons and turn the dials.

Also, when they say it is an 18-hour program, do they actually mean 18 credit hours? That would be a pretty lightweight masters (though maybe not for something this specialized?), but not nearly as bad of a thing as just 18 total hours of class time.

withak fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 27, 2013

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Midorka posted:

So is that the first college cashing in on the brewing phenomena? If there's ever been a scam in this type of stuff then that is it. 18 hour "masters course" is a joke.

Edit: "Distance learning" wow. This is going to really make a laugh of the college, or a laugh at those who have real degrees.

Plenty of large schools offer various certifications and such. I doubt anyone is going to hear "Auburn grad" and think "LOL you have a lovely brewing class!"

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Mahoning posted:

Rest assured: it was a good joke.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
countdown to rogue or dogfish head putting that stupid tree in a beer

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
If any state screams "brewer friendly" it's Alabama. Oh wait....

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Midorka posted:

I think he is joking, get it? I've heard it "uni-brew".

I am joking, but I honestly can't remember the last time I even attempted to pronounce it correctly.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Samuel Smith Organic Chocolate Stout is amazing, if you enjoy the style, definitely seek it out. It doesn't have the bitterness of baker's chocolate, it's straight up chocolate milk in a bottle. Easily the best chocolate stout I've ever had, and the only thing I wish it had was a thicker mouthfeel.

Is anybody heading to Hill Farmstead for the Biere De Norma release tomorrow? Do we even have any Vermont goons in this thread?

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
New beer review: Stone's Oak Smoked Old Guardian!

It's the "odd beers for odd years" version, released at the same as the regular annual OG. Grabbed a growler of this, didn't want to screw around with bottles on the off chance it was ridiculously good.

It is not, in fact, ridiculously good. That said, there's a bunch happening in the glass, and while I don't think they necessarily improved on the regular OG this doesn't come off as a letdown either. Unlike the regular OG, this one's got a big vanilla nose to it, maybe some cherry also. The smoked oak translates to a subtle peaty/campfire taste, it finishes immensely bitter, and the rest is burnt caramel. It checks all the boxes, but doesn't really blow me away. If you like the annual OG this is worth a bottle but don't go out of your way to track it down otherwise.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
You know what's funny? I was on vacation in California and I bought an IPA in Disneyland. I think it was a Tower 10 IPA. It was the first one I ever drank and while it took me time to adjust to the taste (I thought it was going to be something like a pilsener), I pretty much loved it.

Now I'm back in Belgium and we have a pretty paltry choice in IPAs. I got the best beers in the world in every cafe nearby, just no IPAs. :negative: Anyways, there are still some Belgian IPAs floating here and there. So far I've tried Troubadour Magma and last night I drank a La Chouffe Houblon. I think I prefer the Troubadour for its more stronger character. Next one to try, Piraat Ale!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Fragrag posted:

Now I'm back in Belgium and we have a pretty paltry choice in IPAs. I got the best beers in the world in every cafe nearby, just no IPAs.

the grass is always greener...

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

nuncle jimbo posted:

countdown to rogue or dogfish head putting that stupid tree in a beer

Harvey Hopdyke IPA.

SketchyNick
Oct 15, 2005

Fragrag posted:

You know what's funny? I was on vacation in California and I bought an IPA in Disneyland. I think it was a Tower 10 IPA. It was the first one I ever drank and while it took me time to adjust to the taste (I thought it was going to be something like a pilsener), I pretty much loved it.

Now I'm back in Belgium and we have a pretty paltry choice in IPAs. I got the best beers in the world in every cafe nearby, just no IPAs. :negative: Anyways, there are still some Belgian IPAs floating here and there. So far I've tried Troubadour Magma and last night I drank a La Chouffe Houblon. I think I prefer the Troubadour for its more stronger character. Next one to try, Piraat Ale!

Poperings Hommelbier is a good belgian hoppy blonde and it's pretty available around belgium/NL.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Fragrag posted:

If you're really craving it, there's always BrewDog Punk IPA, which held me over whenever I wanted an american IPA while staying in the Netherlands (almost never)

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Fragrag posted:

I'm not sure I'd drink an IPA ever again if I could drink gueuze all the time at Belgian prices.

To satisfy your IPA craving, it might be a giant pain in the rear end but if you hop the Eurostar to London, The Kernel does a lot of American style pale ales/IPAs that should work for you.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Have any other US craft besides RR/Allagash brewed with a coolship?

Because Jester King just posted this. Didn't think they'd have this happen so soon.
http://jesterkingbrewery.com/first-100-spontaneous-coolship-brew

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

air- posted:

Because Jester King just posted this. Didn't think they'd have this happen so soon.

I think Hill Farmstead has one or more 100% spontaneous fermenation beer(s), but I don't know if they use a coolship or something else.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

air- posted:

Apparently the new brrewery monster Bluejacket up in DC is going to have one, but otherwise it is indeed just RR and Allagash as far as I know otherwise.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

air- posted:

That's weird in that last fallI attended a seminar by a Jester King brewer where he said they cultivated the yeast in their area through a yeast lab and it all tasted like garbage or otherwise wasn't suited to sour style brewing so it didn't sound like they were going to try spontaneous.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

the yellow dart posted:

Apparently the new brrewery monster Bluejacket up in DC is going to have one, but otherwise it is indeed just RR and Allagash as far as I know otherwise.

When this one was announced, I believe it was the "third US coolship" so that sounds right to me.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hey, just so you guys know I'm selling a bunch of used beer taps on SA Mart that I got when my restaurant remodeled. Check it out if you're interested.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

zedprime posted:

That's weird in that last fallI attended a seminar by a Jester King brewer where he said they cultivated the yeast in their area through a yeast lab and it all tasted like garbage or otherwise wasn't suited to sour style brewing so it didn't sound like they were going to try spontaneous.

i think they unintentionally became a spontaneous fermentation brewery

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

crazyfish posted:

I'm not sure I'd drink an IPA ever again if I could drink gueuze all the time at Belgian prices.

To satisfy your IPA craving, it might be a giant pain in the rear end but if you hop the Eurostar to London, The Kernel does a lot of American style pale ales/IPAs that should work for you.

Well, I was wrong. Because I just had my first full pour of Heady Topper. And it is awesome. It is, hands down, the single best example of a west coast style IPA I've ever had. If you like west coast IPAs, Heady is drat near perfect. IMO, far better than Pliny.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Kenning posted:

Hey, just so you guys know I'm selling a bunch of used beer taps on SA Mart that I got when my restaurant remodeled. Check it out if you're interested.

I was actually about to mention this. I'm a total whore for Lagunitas, so those in particular really tempt me. :ohdear:

Speaking of which, this may be old news, but I just saw that Lagunitas has an amazing bottle opener in their online shop. Complete with two fantastic videos on how to use it.

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!
Last night, the wife and I decided to hit a local favorite restaurant that usually has a phenomenal tap list, and an even better bottle list. About an hour before we cruise down there for dinner, they post up on FB that they got a few bottles of Cantillon in. Iris, Cuvee St Gilloise, and Fou Foune. Now, I've had a few lambics in my life, and I've always enjoyed them for the most part, so I decided it was in my best interests to try one of these bad boys. After reading some reviews, it seemed like Fou Foune was the highest rated of the three, so I decided I'd jump on it. "How much for the Cantillon Fou Foune?... $40 bucks?! Jesus. Fine. This poo poo better rock my world."

It didn't even tremble my world. :(

Just a really sour beer. It wasn't terrible, but just not my style. My wifes either. She was intrigued by a Peach Lambic.. she's had some Lindemans before that she was cool with, but this did nothing for her at all. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't terrible or anything, I drank the entire bottle over about 3 hours.. I just never really enjoyed it. :( It got a little better towards the end.. a little bit more of the peach flavor started to come out, but it never really got to where I had imagined. Sucks to have to spend $40 to realize you don't really like sours, but whatever.

I'm no quitter though, I'm intrigued by this style.. I want to try a few more and see if maybe it was just that particular bottle, or if the over all style does nothing for me. Anyone have any recommendations on things to try? Maybe cheap recommendations? I'm still annoyed at dropping $40 on that bottle.. that wouldv'e got me a nice bottle of scotch. :(

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Capt. Awesome posted:

Last night, the wife and I decided to hit a local favorite restaurant that usually has a phenomenal tap list, and an even better bottle list. About an hour before we cruise down there for dinner, they post up on FB that they got a few bottles of Cantillon in. Iris, Cuvee St Gilloise, and Fou Foune. Now, I've had a few lambics in my life, and I've always enjoyed them for the most part, so I decided it was in my best interests to try one of these bad boys. After reading some reviews, it seemed like Fou Foune was the highest rated of the three, so I decided I'd jump on it. "How much for the Cantillon Fou Foune?... $40 bucks?! Jesus. Fine. This poo poo better rock my world."

It didn't even tremble my world. :(

Just a really sour beer. It wasn't terrible, but just not my style. My wifes either. She was intrigued by a Peach Lambic.. she's had some Lindemans before that she was cool with, but this did nothing for her at all. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't terrible or anything, I drank the entire bottle over about 3 hours.. I just never really enjoyed it. :( It got a little better towards the end.. a little bit more of the peach flavor started to come out, but it never really got to where I had imagined. Sucks to have to spend $40 to realize you don't really like sours, but whatever.

I'm no quitter though, I'm intrigued by this style.. I want to try a few more and see if maybe it was just that particular bottle, or if the over all style does nothing for me. Anyone have any recommendations on things to try? Maybe cheap recommendations? I'm still annoyed at dropping $40 on that bottle.. that wouldv'e got me a nice bottle of scotch. :(

I wouldn't say that Cantillon is a great gateway sour beer. Cantillon tends to be quite sour and is best appreciated when you have some familiarity with the style. I personally loved Fou Foune (apricot, by the way). I don't find the classic gueuze to be anything special but Fou Foune was amazing. It was probably the least sour of the Cantillon beers available there, though. Have you had any Russian River sours or Rodenbach?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Capt. Awesome posted:

Now, I've had a few lambics in my life, and I've always enjoyed them for the most part, so I decided it was in my best interests to try one of these bad boys.

Just a really sour beer. It wasn't terrible, but just not my style. My wifes either. She was intrigued by a Peach Lambic.. she's had some Lindemans before that she was cool with, but this did nothing for her at all.

Lindemans and a few others are sweetened, so if that's all you've had, well, they're hardly in the same ballpark. i wasn't too stoked on my first Cantillon, either, because it was so different from any beer i'd had before, but i quickly came around and count them among my favorites.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I had Old Rasputin last night for the first time since I first had it 3 years ago. I don't like it near as much as I remember. It leans a bit bitter with some esters which is not exactly what I like in an imperial stout. I may be in the minority here, but I like my stouts with a cocoa and coffee flavor. I can't say I'm a fan of the bitter ones, nor the fruitier ones. I'm glad I re-reviewed it though, I originally gave it a 4.8. I really need to go back and re-review every beer I drank in the first year of my drinking days, they all have absurdly high ratings.

On another note, sometimes my girlfriend hits a homerun when beer shopping, sometimes she strikes out. Yesterday she came home with a Weihenstephaner gift pack, it came with Vitas, Kristall Weiss, and 3 others I can't remember right now, with the Weihenstephaner weizen glass. The glass is great and the beers are great as well. She also bought a variety 12 pack of Horny Goat. I didn't have the heart to tell her that they would probably all be bad when she showed me, so I just left it up to her tastebuds. So far she hated the milk stout.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Just heard B. United's portfolio is heading into Texas via Favorite Brands.

Floodgates just opened up for European craft here as they have quite the lineup. BFM, De Dolle, Italian craft, and more in Texas oh :hellyeah:
http://www.bunitedint.com/information/brands/by_producer/

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Capt. Awesome posted:

I'm still pretty new on sours, but I try any and every one I can get my hands on. For training wheels, Monk's Cafe or any Flemish Red or Sour Brown Ale should be pretty easy to drink. Behind big heavy stouts, sours are my second favorite beer. Having Russian River's sours made it a much closer race. They're phenomenal.

FreelanceSocialist
Nov 19, 2002
I have always been a fan of Rodenbach, myself. Grand Cru seems to have good distribution and is at a nice price point.

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

Glottis posted:

I wouldn't say that Cantillon is a great gateway sour beer. Cantillon tends to be quite sour and is best appreciated when you have some familiarity with the style. I personally loved Fou Foune (apricot, by the way). I don't find the classic gueuze to be anything special but Fou Foune was amazing. It was probably the least sour of the Cantillon beers available there, though. Have you had any Russian River sours or Rodenbach?

Oh yea.. Apricot. I've not tried any of the Russian River sours.. I always see them, but at $15 for 375ml, I've let my cheapness shine through and skip it. Sucks, because RR came down to one of the local bars here and did a total tap take over, but I didn't get a chance to make it down there to try any of these.

Captain Shortbus posted:

I'm still pretty new on sours, but I try any and every one I can get my hands on. For training wheels, Monk's Cafe or any Flemish Red or Sour Brown Ale should be pretty easy to drink. Behind big heavy stouts, sours are my second favorite beer. Having Russian River's sours made it a much closer race. They're phenomenal.

Seems like I may just need to bite the bullet and go for it! Any recommendations?

I've seen Rodenbach Grand Cru around, and its usually pretty reasonably priced. Maybe I'll pick one of those up, and a Russian River sour tonight, and hope for the best!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Rodenbach Grand Cru is really hard to pass up since it's typically $8-9 for a large format bottle. Very good gateway and I still drink it all the time.