Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Yeah I found it really interesting too. I've always found it weird that Coki's got the rep of making all this mental jump-up music, but personality wise he's always seemed totally 180 from the music he makes, so it's cool to actually see him give a rare interview with someone like Joe Muggs who actually knows what the gently caress he's talking about and isn't just asking the usual boring top 10 question kinda things. Some real interesting answers came out of it.

It's definitely still a bit unique to see he DJs nowadays, as - like he mentions - for years he just never did it! I want to say the only time I ever actually did see him DJ was at DMZ's 2nd birthday, at least I'm sure he ended up DJing there (maybe when they opened up the 3rd Bass part). Compare that to the rest of that original Dubstep circle who I couldn't begin to count the amount of times I saw them.

Yeah, I thought he played a Dub War I went to in '07 or '08, was billed as DMZ vs. Dub War, but I guess it was just Mala, Loefah & Sgt. Pokes? I was surprised to see that he just quit a f/t job too. And I like Joe Muggs' writing, was interesting to see this after the total wind up piece he wrote for FACT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

SUBFRIES posted:

Yeah, I thought he played a Dub War I went to in '07 or '08, was billed as DMZ vs. Dub War, but I guess it was just Mala, Loefah & Sgt. Pokes? I was surprised to see that he just quit a f/t job too. And I like Joe Muggs' writing, was interesting to see this after the total wind up piece he wrote for FACT.

He could've played, though generally if it was a DMZ bill it was just those 3. And yeah I was surprised to learn he kept his job. Though let's be honest it probably shouldn't have been much of a surprise since he wasn't DJing what else was he gonna be doing? As you know yourself putting on a dance every month or whatever isn't exactly going to let you retire at 30. Same with record sales nowadays too, despite how well a DMZ release may do in today's terms.

And wow I never saw that Fact article. That's probably not an article to go into any future retrospective book or whatever. It's tone is definitely a bit of a red rag to a bull at times I think.

Although I will say I'll happily agree with him on some names like your True Tigers, Rusko, Jakes or whoever and I do get what he's saying and all. But I don't know, like some comments say it could be a bit late as I think a lot of the initial kneejerking has kinda petered out and it's pretty much became, "right whatever, you do that thing. We're away off to the club/studio/pub to do something completely different". Though that might just be amongst the wider eyed heads or whatever, I guess sometimes the actual body can take a wee bit more time to manoeuvre.

However - that article aside - when he's trying he's actually a very good writer. I find especially with interviews as he seems to really get some good output from the artists. He did a nice one with Geoim a few years ago now for instance. As well as great wee Zed Bias one too.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Saw Youngsta and Biome in Brooklyn last night - great times, great dark warehouse venue. AMIT tunes just took over that system. On the subject of Coki, seeing him in Brooklyn over the summer remains one of the most enjoyable sets I've experienced, could've been the ketamine though. Peanut butter and jelly combination, mental Coki tunes one after the next that no one really plays let alone the best on vinyl in a set, just melting your brain.

knox fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 24, 2013

Styliferous
Apr 23, 2005

ElectroBolt™
by Ryan Industries
Grimey Drawer

knox posted:

Saw Youngsta and Biome in Brooklyn last night - great times, great dark warehouse venue. AMIT tunes just took over that system. On the subject of Coki, seeing him in Brooklyn over the summer remains one of the most enjoyable sets I've experienced, could've been the ketamine though. Peanut butter and jelly combination, mental Coki tunes one after the next that no one really plays let alone the best on vinyl in a set, just melting your brain.

I was there last night as well brother, traveled 9 hours from Virginia Beach to be there and it was absolutely worth every minute. I was posted up directly in front of the subs, and when Acid Trip from AMIT got dropped I had to fight myself from having my dinner come back up. That system and venue were unreal. Coupled with the fact that I also saw Youngsta and Biome in DC at U Street Music Hall a few days prior, this weekend was unforgettable.

If you're on the East Coast anywhere, make the trip to NYC for Reconstrvct sometime, it's worth every dollar spent and every mile traveled.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Word, I had the red sweatshirt on with the hood up by the right front speaker all night, just friended you. See you at the next one.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!
Finally got a deck to listen to the vinyl I've been collecting and went out to really scour some records. Ran into this at a Half Price Books for a dollar.

LFO - Tied Up

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

HatchetDown posted:

Finally got a deck to listen to the vinyl I've been collecting and went out to really scour some records. Ran into this at a Half Price Books for a dollar.

LFO - Tied Up

Nice one, I used to absolutely cane the b-side of that when I was younger and more impulsive. Nice price too. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's nothing better than walking into a second hand place with like a tenner and walking out with a bunch of random cheap stuff.

While you're there with the LFO stuff you can hunt down Warp's recent Frequencies LP release. The 2x12" as it makes a big difference sound-wise compared to the old fashioned original single plate classic LP thing. Honestly that LP is one of the few dance LPs that I think somehow comes out greater than the some of it's parts.

unknown poster
Aug 4, 2007
Seeing Truth & Youngsta tonight at Monarch in San Francisco....pretty excited.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
Brand new Reso track dropped today. It's called "The Rugged" and is a free download. Really feelin' it. But why wouldn't I? It's fuckin' Reso.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Riot.EXE posted:

Brand new Reso track dropped today. It's called "The Rugged" and is a free download. Really feelin' it. But why wouldn't I? It's fuckin' Reso.

He also posted this today: https://soundcloud.com/reso/pause-falsey-reso-remix-out

Which is lovey dovey garage. Which I dig, liked "Shifty" he did with I.D. years ago, and the remix he did of Dom Almond (I think?) that was garagey.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

unknown poster posted:

Seeing Truth & Youngsta tonight at Monarch in San Francisco....pretty excited.

As you should be - AMIT killer driller/acid trip, Badman VIP, Lie Detection VIP, Midnight Request Line mix, Kaiju, etc etc.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

SUBFRIES posted:

He also posted this today: https://soundcloud.com/reso/pause-falsey-reso-remix-out

Which is lovey dovey garage. Which I dig, liked "Shifty" he did with I.D. years ago, and the remix he did of Dom Almond (I think?) that was garagey.

Dope...gotta wait a couple weeks for it to drop for us, though. I'm feelin' it, though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Riot.EXE posted:

Free and better than a lot of paid for releases... He does this a lot and I'm not complaining.

The Fuck Juicer
Oct 16, 2012

T.Williams in the Boiler Room right now, vinyl only grime set. Get involved!

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
BRVIP002 came out test press btw, which immediately sold out and i missed.. i think there was only 75 copies of the first one? So best to keep on eye when there's out fully to get.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

we've all seen this right?

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

infinity2005 posted:

BRVIP002 came out test press btw, which immediately sold out and i missed.. i think there was only 75 copies of the first one? So best to keep on eye when there's out fully to get.

I don't see how theres a factory in the world thats like "yeah lets etch some plates for 75 copies." You'd probably spend more time etching the loving plates than pressing the drat records, wouldn't you?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I really really doubt there was only 75 cause they sent me two free ones a few months after it came out with some other stuff I ordered.

I think I have three of em actually hahaha.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
I thought it was a weird number to get pressed as well... can't remember where i saw it said. Judging by discogs numbers it looks like the sort of numbers for a slightly limited release at least, there's a lot of 'wants' if it's not at all hard to get right? And none for sale.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Reposted some older tunes that I really like. All free high-quality downloads. I think DONT FEEL PASSION is the best.

CHUMP CHANGE - DONT FEEL PASSION
https://soundcloud.com/djchumpchange/chump-change-dont-feel-passion

CHUMP CHANGE - WATCHIN
https://soundcloud.com/djchumpchange/chump-change-watchin

CHUMP CHANGE + Ryan Pearce - SENTIENT
https://soundcloud.com/djchumpchange/chump-change-ryan-pearce

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

infinity2005 posted:

I thought it was a weird number to get pressed as well... can't remember where i saw it said. Judging by discogs numbers it looks like the sort of numbers for a slightly limited release at least, there's a lot of 'wants' if it's not at all hard to get right? And none for sale.

It was definitely a smaller limited run. It's also been out for over a year so there's probably not too many extras still kicking around. But they had em in stock for a few months at least. It might have just taken a while to catch on.

Anyway, BRVIP002 is up on the store and according to them limited to 150 copies. Get it while you can!

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

JamesKPolk posted:

It was definitely a smaller limited run. It's also been out for over a year so there's probably not too many extras still kicking around. But they had em in stock for a few months at least. It might have just taken a while to catch on.

Anyway, BRVIP002 is up on the store and according to them limited to 150 copies. Get it while you can!

Shockingly BRVIP002 isn't sold out by now! Terrible behaviour from ya'll, I'd have thought you'd all have been there pushing the add to cart button until it broke.

Anyway something else that's new out and that I've been digging is this new EP from Paradise Club.

Like a lot of the other releases the label has put out it's a bit of a mini-mix selection of artists. Label owner Jabru gives us this number, a bit more of a broken and dubby thing. Very snappy and funky I think, the remix gives it a wee bit more muscle too! And for those who need a bit more of a pumpin' beat, the Blacksmif and Juno Sutton & MTD tracks on the flip are probably more up your street, the latter is definitely doing it for me, it's got a bit of flex on it.

Either way I'm digging it all. Really going to need to keep an eye out for the Paradise Club stuff as their last release I liked too. It's so nice when a new label comes about that you really like and all you can think of how much potential they have and how you can't wait to see their next thing. Though the logo does look a wee bit of a rip-off of the 20:20 Vision logo I gotta admit.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Paradise Club stuff

The Paradise Club boys are part of the local house collective in Exeter where I'm at uni. MTD has always had some great productions, he had some stuff signed to T.Williams' label quite a while ago but I guess he's had them turned back over to Paradise Club now.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Anae posted:

The Paradise Club boys are part of the local house collective in Exeter where I'm at uni. MTD has always had some great productions, he had some stuff signed to T.Williams' label quite a while ago but I guess he's had them turned back over to Paradise Club now.

Well there we go, the more you know! Exeter: Not just a cathedral and Flybe.

And new Rustie on Numbers out now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stT4VAnVfY4

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Well there we go, the more you know! Exeter: Not just a cathedral and Flybe.

And new Rustie on Numbers out now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stT4VAnVfY4

You just made a milk crime stop looking at this thread until it reaches a new page :twisted:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Heads up New York, this is a great way to kick off your Memorial Day weekend:
http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/events/new-york-2013-no-sleep-till-croydon

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Mike_V posted:

You just made a milk crime stop looking at this thread until it reaches a new page :twisted:

Ach, he'd only use the time to whore out his new single anyway! (though seriously buy it, it's not too shabby!)

But just to keep him happy I'll bring out the irrestible-ness of freshly squeezed UK Techno (which is too cool for the Techno/House thread quite frankly) from one of my usual suspects The Black Dog, who have two new EPs out over the next week or two.

First up is the Darkhaus EP on the relatively new Ostgut Ton sublabel Unterton, and the other EP is on their own Dust Science imprint which is awesome and like the title suggest has a lot of bleeps in it, which is like crack to me so you know I bagged it, though looking at online stores which has it now, bagged at a bit too high a price from the Dust Science store. I think they added the VAT when they really shouldn't of. Anyway both should be pick-uppable in your favourite local or not so local record store very soon.

The Fuck Juicer
Oct 16, 2012

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Shockingly BRVIP002 isn't sold out by now! Terrible behaviour from ya'll, I'd have thought you'd all have been there pushing the add to cart button until it broke.

I was surprised to see that still in stock! Picked it up straight away along with Spooky's new release on Oil Gang. Nothing better than new grime vinyl.

Styliferous
Apr 23, 2005

ElectroBolt™
by Ryan Industries
Grimey Drawer

air- posted:

Heads up New York, this is a great way to kick off your Memorial Day weekend:
http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/events/new-york-2013-no-sleep-till-croydon

Yeah I didn't think I'd be heading back up to New York so soon after this past reconstrvct, but with this being the day of my birthday and all, I don't think I can justify missing it.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I thought Terror Danjah already had a Soundcloud? I just noticed this one, which has uploads from the past week.
https://soundcloud.com/beatsbyterrordanjah

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

air- posted:

I thought Terror Danjah already had a Soundcloud? I just noticed this one, which has uploads from the past week.
https://soundcloud.com/beatsbyterrordanjah

I don't actually remember him having one at all until now, but he may well have.

And speaking of Terror Danjah, Butterz is the label (for free stuff).

Hidden Mother
Nov 12, 2012
Hopefully gonna be opening for XXXY in a coupla months time. It's my first "proper" DJ gig and I think he's one of the best producers around right now. Super excited.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I'm gonna see Bicep in Chicago on Friday, should be fun.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium
New Martyn on Dolly Dubs is great, very funky breakbeat track on the lead just kills it. Smooth and funky and right up my alley. As is the other two on the EP which are more of a House affair, I guess a bit more in line with the rest of his recent output.

I also saw El-B has revived the Bison label (which I thought was the now sadly departed Roxy's imprint) for a new single. The first sees him do the Dubstep thing he's been doing the past wee while, which to be honest like a lot of his new work just lacks that magic touch I think. The flip is where it's at though, it's amazing what happens when he actually goes back to his percussive strengths with this Garagey number. That makes the doubts go away and makes you realise he's still got it, if only he'd unleash it more often.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

New Martyn on Dolly Dubs is great, very funky breakbeat track on the lead just kills it. Smooth and funky and right up my alley. As is the other two on the EP which are more of a House affair, I guess a bit more in line with the rest of his recent output.

"Oceania" reminds me of "Vancouver", and I think that's great. Hopefully there is more like this coming out again. I thought F on 7EVEN had a great take on this sound.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
This is probably a dumb babby question, but:

I've been just hooked on Blawan's "Why They Hide Their Bodies..." and Marcelus' "Warhead" since they were posted and bought some EPs from eMusic. It's inspired me to try producing some of my own on Ableton (beats writing yet another terrible brostep track or Final Fantasy techno remixes). Thing is, what genre are they? I'm trying to look up some tutorials for inspiration and guidance but I'm not sure how to ask for it.

My guess is that they are UK Future Garage? But some people call them Dubstep, which is different from Skrillex/Bassnectar dubstep though? I know genres are fluid, just wondering if there's an easy way to research this since Wikipedia was not super helpful.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Both are just straight up techno.. some of Blawan's tracks have garagey influences i guess you could say. But it's techno. I guess it gets mentioned in here because simply if you're into the genres mentioned in the thread title then you might well like it too.. and the scenes sort of connect sometimes.

Basically it seems like there's more discussion of genres like house/techno in this thread because it feels like that is the direction the whole uk bass thing has gone. Straight up dubstep releases have slowed down heavily, the hyped stuff from a UK perspective seems like house/techno; to me at least. You can see that in dubstepforums.com having a house forum for example. And future garage as a term just seems to be a way to describe lighter tracks while trying to distance itself from dubstep.

I don't really want to try and describe the differences further cause i'm not very good at it but probably main thing to point out is those tracks are probably like 128bpm? and have a 4/4 kick.. while dubstep usually is 140 and doesn't.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

SUBFRIES posted:

"Oceania" reminds me of "Vancouver", and I think that's great. Hopefully there is more like this coming out again. I thought F on 7EVEN had a great take on this sound.

It's definitely leans more in that direction yeah. Not quite as behind and dubbed out though like some of the earlier stuff which keeps it distinct from the earlier work, which is good. I'm with you hoping there's more like this coming.

Actually as daft as this is gonna sound, with some of F's tunes at times I got a more kinda Breakbeat Garage vibe from him. But less the Zinc/Jammin and Darqwan kind of thing and more along the lines of like that Abstract or Ming & FS style. A bit more breakier and maybe slightly more slicker than the UK stuff, though obviously filtered a couple times through the whole Dubstep thing. Shame I don't think I've seen anything new from him in a long time.

infinity2005 posted:

Both are just straight up techno.. some of Blawan's tracks have garagey influences i guess you could say. But it's techno. I guess it gets mentioned in here because simply if you're into the genres mentioned in the thread title then you might well like it too.. and the scenes sort of connect sometimes.

Basically it seems like there's more discussion of genres like house/techno in this thread because it feels like that is the direction the whole uk bass thing has gone. Straight up dubstep releases have slowed down heavily, the hyped stuff from a UK perspective seems like house/techno; to me at least. You can see that in dubstepforums.com having a house forum for example. And future garage as a term just seems to be a way to describe lighter tracks while trying to distance itself from dubstep.

I don't really want to try and describe the differences further cause i'm not very good at it but probably main thing to point out is those tracks are probably like 128bpm? and have a 4/4 kick.. while dubstep usually is 140 and doesn't.

Ah, but Techno or the nebulous 'Bass' term? Now ain't that the problem, especially now when I'd say the term 'Bass' has ended up being appropriated as an actual genre over the past couple years which - like you said - has pretty much come to mean that Techno influenced sound.

See I'd happily class Blawan under the Bass thing as well as Techno as it's all descended from or filtered through a UK spectrum. And not just because of artist is from the UK or whatever, or has a history of releasing on UK labels. Something like Bodies to me just has that vibe. It's that wee bit too bent, too ruff, to have purely been shat out of some purebred European/Berlin Techno thing. It is Techno but you could say it's not just Techno. You'd never have got to that sound without the whole Garage/Dubstep/everything that came after that. Well that's what I think anyway.

Plus let's be honest some stuff is just too cool for the House/Techno thread. Biased as gently caress!

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

See I'd happily class Blawan under the Bass thing as well as Techno as it's all descended from or filtered through a UK spectrum. And not just because of artist is from the UK or whatever, or has a history of releasing on UK labels. Something like Bodies to me just has that vibe. It's that wee bit too bent, too ruff, to have purely been shat out of some purebred European/Berlin Techno thing. It is Techno but you could say it's not just Techno. You'd never have got to that sound without the whole Garage/Dubstep/everything that came after that. Well that's what I think anyway.

I think Regis and Surgeon would disagree (also Blawan would too) >>>>>B;]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTZZCoj603A

In any case if you want to make something in the same vein as what Blawan does, I'd give this a listen, then do some digging.
http://www.mixesdb.com/w/2012-05-03_-_Blawan_@_Boiler_Room_92_-_Grimes_%26_Friends_Takeover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

a milk crime posted:

I think Regis and Surgeon would disagree (also Blawan would too) >>>>>B;]

Well to be fair to Regis and Surgeon they've been doing their thing for like a bajillion years already, way before any of the current scene, trends, sound or whatever has been about. They can call themselves whatever they want.

• Locked thread