Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

docbeard posted:

The Merlin always has three plans. The plan, the backup plan, and the ace in the hole. I don't know what his plan or his backup plan was, but I feel pretty certain that Aiming Harry at the Red Court and standing back was his ace in the hole.

When did any of this happen? This is the same Merlin mentioned in Cold Days? Isn't the head of the White Council also named Merlin? Probably not. Anyway, at the end of the book, its implied Karrin stays with Harry in the cabin on the island while Thomas rides the boat out, correct? Also I thought the Sidhe could see through veils. Why wasn't molly visible? Her veil is just that good I suppose?

Edit: Okay so the head of the white council is also named Merlin. This talking about THE Merlin and a merlin confused me. Is THE Merlin some dude that walks back and forth through time in the series? Or are we talking about the head of the white council Merlin aiming Harry in Changes instead of the original Merlin whos now probably dead?

Kneel Before Zog fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Kneel Before Zog posted:

When did any of this happen? This is the same Merlin mentioned in Cold Days? Isn't the head of the White Council also named Merlin? Probably not. Anyway, at the end of the book, its implied Karrin stays with Harry in the cabin on the island while Thomas rides the boat out, correct? Also I thought the Sidhe could see through veils. Why wasn't molly visible? Her veil is just that good I suppose?

Edit: Okay so the head of the white council is also named Merlin. This talking about THE Merlin and a merlin confused me. Is THE Merlin some dude that walks back and forth through time in the series? Or are we talking about the head of the white council Merlin aiming Harry in Changes instead of the original Merlin whos now probably dead?

The Merlin is the head of the White Council. The three plan thing is mentioned in Summer Knight, IIRC.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Anyway, at the end of the book, its implied Karrin stays with Harry in the cabin on the island while Thomas rides the boat out, correct?

Nope, she and Mouse leave with Thomas.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Okay so the head of the white council is also named Merlin.
"The Merlin" is the title given to the head of the White Council, named after its founder.

The current Merlin's name is Arthur Langtry and should not be confused with the original man named Merlin who built the prison underneath Demonreach.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Just finished Libriomancer. I liked it. It suffers from the same awkward love scenes as Dresden but overall it wasn't bad. Too bad the next one doesn't come out until August.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Pretty interesting that Mab used to be human once. Does that mean Mother Winter and Mother Summer also used to be human? I guess it's all speculation at this point What was Mab's master plan with Dresden anyway? To have Dresden protect Sarrisa?

Caterwaul
May 4, 2009
From what Mother Summer said, I think sidhe are born as changelings then chose to become faeries.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Caterwaul posted:

From what Mother Summer said, I think sidhe are born as changelings then chose to become faeries.

That's the impression I got too. It explains why they don't just forget about making changelings altogether, since it rarely seems to go right for them.

Litch991
Sep 14, 2005
I just made a post on my blog about the audiobook narrator James Marsters (plus several other narrators) as a result of a discovery from this forum. Only through book 10, but I think that's enough to comment on the series at least, right?

http://www.audiobooknerds.com/nerdblog/slapyourfriend1

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Litch991 posted:

I just made a post on my blog about the audiobook narrator James Marsters (plus several other narrators) as a result of a discovery from this forum. Only through book 10, but I think that's enough to comment on the series at least, right?

http://www.audiobooknerds.com/nerdblog/slapyourfriend1

No you have to have read every piece of Dresden lore...

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Seriously though, some major poo poo goes down in book 12 that is no longer spoiler tagged in this thread. We usually go back to looking like a CIA document when someone new shows up, but just a little warning in advance.

aziraphale60
Oct 13, 2006

by Pragmatica

404GoonNotFound posted:

Seriously though, some major poo poo goes down in book 12 that is no longer spoiler tagged in this thread. We usually go back to looking like a CIA document when someone new shows up, but just a little warning in advance.

book 12-14 are all basically full of things you don't want to know until you get there.

Caterwaul
May 4, 2009
Anyone been wondering what the purpose of the Winter Lady is? Maeve refers to her duties as being Mab's "hunting falcon" and Mab says Knight and Lady often works together. Knight kills mortals while the Lady does the same for creatures of faerie? Summer equivalents protects/heals?

Deadbeat
Apr 8, 2003

It doesn't seem like there is a purpose for the Ladies besides being the Queen in training. As such they are delegated responsibilities as the Queens see fit. (Mab's comment about no longer letting Maeve pick the Knight after what happened with Lloyd Slate)

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Deadbeat posted:

It doesn't seem like there is a purpose for the Ladies besides being the Queen in training. As such they are delegated responsibilities as the Queens see fit. (Mab's comment about no longer letting Maeve pick the Knight after what happened with Lloyd Slate)

Mother Winter makes a similar comment about Mab being too much of a romantic. That should put things in perspective.

Caterwaul
May 4, 2009
My take on Mother Winter's comment about Mab being a romantic was Mother Winter's way of calling Mab a fool for making Dresden kill Maeve instead of just stomping her herself.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Yeah, it's just meant to be funny. You know, calling the physical manifestation of cold logic and predatory instincts sentimental.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Mother Winter's comment is intended to be more of a statement about Mother Winter than Mab.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Deadbeat posted:

As the weakest queens, they can intervene a lot more, though restricted from acting on mortals, a Lady seems to be the moderate response option for their faction against other supernaturals. They are also the only Queens who routinely hang out outside the Nevernever, which makes it seem to me that they are effectively first response heavies against other supernatural meddling.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

http://pic.twitter.com/QcXYKIrPB3

"Dresden Files crew at the masquerade"

:catstare:

edit; has anyone read any of Seanan McGuire's work? Was recommended on Butchers twitter as being a "good urban fantasy author"

http://www.seananmcguire.com/

tithin fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 24, 2013

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Tithin Melias posted:

edit; has anyone read any of Seanan McGuire's work? Was recommended on Butchers twitter as being a "good urban fantasy author"

I tried her first book, just couldn't get into it. To much angst.

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011

Tithin Melias posted:

Yeah, I enjoyed it. It's a little similar to Dresden in that it's slow to pick up, but then poo poo gets real and it just cruises along.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

It's nice if you can get past the goldfish angst in book 1 of the toby books. In the same way that Storm Front isn't the best Dresden, Rosemary and Rue isn't the best October Daye. It gets progressively more entertaining, and I really cannot recommend the later books enough without spoiling them, so go read them already. Actually - she deserves her own thread, since both of her series are ongoing and have things to laugh/talk about. If you haven't read Discount Armageddon, her InCryptid series opener, you are missing out on Aeslin Mice and that is pure tragedy.

Anias fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 25, 2013

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I really need to read more urban fantasy with a female main character. I can handle female protagonists easily in any genre but urban fantasy, but I find myself shying away from them in urban fantasy after being burned by too many novels that devolve into irritating paranormal romances where way too much of the novel revolves around the main character flirting/sleeping with the hot vampire/werewolf (bonus points if he's an alpha werewolf)/<insert sexy supernatural creature here> love interest. I know I'm overgeneralizing here, but the fact that most of them have terrible covers/blurbs trying to appeal to that crowd aren't helping much either.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

I really need to read more urban fantasy with a female main character. I can handle female protagonists easily in any genre but urban fantasy, but I find myself shying away from them in urban fantasy after being burned by too many novels that devolve into irritating paranormal romances where way too much of the novel revolves around the main character flirting/sleeping with the hot vampire/werewolf (bonus points if he's an alpha werewolf)/<insert sexy supernatural creature here> love interest. I know I'm overgeneralizing here, but the fact that most of them have terrible covers/blurbs trying to appeal to that crowd aren't helping much either.

This is my cue, I suppose, to talk up the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson again. Which basically has none of that. There's romance in the books, but it's hardly the focus, and the protagonist's boyfriend for much of the series is anything but a super-sexy alpha werewolf/vampire/whatever. Most of the relationships between characters in the series are refreshingly down-to-earth (even if the characters themselves are anything but) in a way you rarely see in this sort of fiction.

Also, the covers are pretty awesome, and feel more like they're trying to appeal to the Philip Marlowe crowd than anything else.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

docbeard posted:

This is my cue, I suppose, to talk up the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson again. Which basically has none of that. There's romance in the books, but it's hardly the focus, and the protagonist's boyfriend for much of the series is anything but a super-sexy alpha werewolf/vampire/whatever. Most of the relationships between characters in the series are refreshingly down-to-earth (even if the characters themselves are anything but) in a way you rarely see in this sort of fiction.

Also, the covers are pretty awesome, and feel more like they're trying to appeal to the Philip Marlowe crowd than anything else.

I'm currently reading the 6th Greywalker book and I support this man's statement.

McBeth
Jul 11, 2006
Odeipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.

docbeard posted:

Yup, this is a good series to get into.

I went through Amazon and found release dates for all the series I've been reading most of which have been recommended in this thread:

March 5th Slashback: A Cal Leandros Novel (Cal and Niko)
March 26th Extinction Machine (Joe Ledger #5)
May 28th The Eighth Court Courts of the Feyre
June 27 Broken Homes (Peter Grant #4)
August 6th Possession: A Greywalker Novel and Warbound: Book Three of the Grimnoir Chronicles

Unknown: Skin Job (Dresden)

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

McBeth posted:

Unknown: Skin Job (Dresden)

Skin Game.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

pseudonordic posted:

I'm currently reading the 6th Greywalker book and I support this man's statement.

I have read all the Greywalker books and I, too, support the statement. The main character is a pretty great protagonist and the side characters are all very interesting. My favorite is definitely Carlos.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Can we get a general plot summary on the Greywalker series? Just so we know what we're getting into?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thunderfinger posted:

Can we get a general plot summary on the Greywalker series? Just so we know what we're getting into?

Female private eye dies for a few minutes before being revived. Wakes up and can see (and to an extent) manipulate the Grey, which is more or less the Nevernever. Gets tangled up with vampires and angry ghosts and a friendly witch.

The first Greywalker book is a lot like the first few Dresden books. Lots of investigating, not a lot of magic. The Greywalker protagonist is not very powerful at all, either. She spends most of the book getting in over her head. A true noir staple, that.

I can't speak for books 2+, but the first book is enjoyable, simple, and shows a lot of promise. I'll be picking up theo ther books for sure when I get back to wanting some urban fantasy that doesn't suck.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thunderfinger posted:

The protagonist, Harper Blaine, is a private investigator in Seattle who, after being briefly clinically dead for a few minutes, becomes capable of interacting with "the Grey", a sort of interdimensional other-space inhabited by ghosts and other supernatural beings and forces. This means, basically, that she can see and talk to ghosts (and be seen and talked to by them), and thus ends up being (often despite her wishes) their advocate among the living.

Wackiness ensues.

The first book is a bit of a mess, plotwise (though it's a much stronger debut than, say, Storm Front), but things get both tighter and more interesting as the series progresses, and Richardson is fantastic at evoking both people and places. She's clearly a local history geek, and it shows (in a favorable way). It's more down-to-earth than the Dresden books, even when it'd dealing with genuine fate-of-the-world stuff; the books remind me in tone of Ben Aaronovich's Peter Grant books in some ways (except not British).

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Wolpertinger posted:

You'd naturally avoid the Briggs coyote books, but you'd be missing out. Her books are not much "romance" but have enough to permit the relationships to add to the personal development. Better take on the Fae, to me, than Dresden.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

docbeard posted:

The protagonist, Harper Blaine, is a private investigator in Seattle who, after being briefly clinically dead for a few minutes, becomes capable of interacting with "the Grey", a sort of interdimensional other-space inhabited by ghosts and other supernatural beings and forces. This means, basically, that she can see and talk to ghosts (and be seen and talked to by them), and thus ends up being (often despite her wishes) their advocate among the living.

Wackiness ensues.

The first book is a bit of a mess, plotwise (though it's a much stronger debut than, say, Storm Front), but things get both tighter and more interesting as the series progresses, and Richardson is fantastic at evoking both people and places. She's clearly a local history geek, and it shows (in a favorable way). It's more down-to-earth than the Dresden books, even when it'd dealing with genuine fate-of-the-world stuff; the books remind me in tone of Ben Aaronovich's Peter Grant books in some ways (except not British).

*grumbles* I was going to get it for my Kindle, but UGH wtf is up with people charging as much for an e-book as they do for a paperback?

At least it was on Paperback Swap, even if it means I won't get it right away.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Zola posted:

*grumbles* I was going to get it for my Kindle, but UGH wtf is up with people charging as much for an e-book as they do for a paperback?

At least it was on Paperback Swap, even if it means I won't get it right away.

A paperback? Half the time they charge hardback prices, if you can get them at all. I just checked, and the first four Greywalker books aren't even available on kindle in the UK.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Space Butler posted:

A paperback? Half the time they charge hardback prices, if you can get them at all. I just checked, and the first four Greywalker books aren't even available on kindle in the UK.

I think it's nuts. Why would I bother to buy the electronic edition that is subject to being removed from my kindle whenever Amazon might happen to feel like it when for the same price I can have a physical book that I can do what I want with?

Of course, that's a personal peeve and doesn't really have any place in the Dresden Files discussion. If anyone wants to discuss it, we can take it to the chat thread.

I now return you to the original topic...

How about that title for the next book, "Skin Game?" It sounds like it ought to be a pulp noir novel, not Dresden Files. I wonder if the publisher will suggest another title.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Honestly I never got into ereaders in the first place, and going forward probably the only time I'll buy a digital version is if I get the audio version as well for that whole Whispersync thing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I like ereaders.

But yeah prices can be a bitch.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 27, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Wait...what's amazon doing to people's e books? This is the first I've heard about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The agreement on the kindle store states that Amazon may remove access to books under certain circumstances. I've only heard of it happening once because the person selling the book didn't actually have the rights to sell the book.

• Locked thread