Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I do not like the design of Seraph in DDS2.

Edit: Or how I just entered combat and just got steamrolled by the enemy getting to go first. That didn't happen in any other dungeon but seems to be more common in the final one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That's how it is in those final dungeons, it only gets worse from there to. :v:

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

I'm not sure if this is old news, but I just got an email minutes ago saying that Persona 2: Eternal Punishment has been released on the Playstation Network.

Edit: Looks like it's just the PS1 game, not the updated re-release for the PSP. Still, might mean the PSP game is that much closer to localization.

Cirosan fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 27, 2013

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cleretic posted:

Except Lucifer has lovely plans, too. He's just aiming his poo poo higher than everyone else.

Hey, if you take Mahayana Buddhism and rotate it roughly 180 degrees and then use it as a lens, Lucifer looks practically saintly. :v: Funnily enough, the last two mainline games have had generally negative approaches to their endings, while the first two had generally positive approaches to their endings. Meanwhile, if... essentially has ranked endings, though interestingly it's easier to get middle-of-the-road than actively bad.

Tallgeese posted:

I would not read much into Ahriman being who he is mythologically. Keep in mind we're talking about a series where the Asura King is actually Dainichi Nyorai, who is REALLY ACTUALLY Ahura Mazda.

Who is Light-Chaos and supposedly opposes YHVH. Despite being a god of light and order, just like YHVH.

Sure, fine, let's go with that.

Now explain why:

A) This is also a series where the servants of Ahura Mazda happen to follow YHVH as members of the Seraph/Herald race, show up in the Justice arcanum in Persona grouped with the angels, et cetera et cetera.

and

B) Why Angra Mainyu tends to be depicted as a Tyrant, Dark-Chaos. Keep in mind that this is appropriate since Angra prefers, you know, chaos (in the sense of opposing order). Ahriman himself in SMT3 is a Tyrant.

The developers do have a rare moment of self-awareness when they both show up in the same game. At which point they double down on their stupid ideological viewpoints and decide that Angra suddenly gets an alignment change to Dark-Law.

Tyranny requires order, in the philosophical sense, so we can either declare that alignment makes no sense, which is perfectly fine, or we can decide that the alignments are more about one's position with respect to the status quo, which makes some sense, or we can presume that the demon clans don't necessarily imply much of anything beyond broad classifications, so that Zoroastrian angels/yazatas are Seraphs/Heralds because they are angels (especially since they don't appear in the plots of their respective games), not because the demon clans are organizational charts.

Even going within the game plots, Chaos always operates on a hierarchical model (even though it incorporates meritocracy in some form), so assuming they oppose all order seems to be discarding the actual text in favor of one's preferred subtext.

Also, you're freaking out about the notion that Puranic Asuras and Zoroastrian Ahuras are the same being, which is hardly the most implausible leap in mythological correspondence, and is one made regularly in real life. Neither is treating Vairocana (the Emptiness Buddha) and Virocana (the Upanishadic king of the Asuras) as the same being, especially for purposes of a joke. Like, there are plenty of more niggling aspects mythology-wise than "In one of the two games Ahura Mazda appears in, he's Light-Chaos, and Angra Mainyu is Dark-Chaos in two of his three outings."

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Cirosan posted:

I'm not sure if this is old news, but I just got an email minutes ago saying that Persona 2: Eternal Punishment has been released on the Playstation Network.

It's unfortunately only PS3 compatible atm. Not even transferable from the PS3 to the Vita. (And why is it $10? That's SE's price gouging).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cirosan posted:

Still, might mean the PSP game is that much closer to localization.

Uh, no. You're getting this in lieu of the PSP release.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Goddammit, I already own EP on PS1.

At least it's the ... nah, I can't even.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Uh, no. You're getting this in lieu of the PSP release.

Straight from the horse's mouth

Atlus on PSBlog posted:

There’s good news and bad news about that. The bad news is that unusual circumstances have prevented us from localizing Eternal Punishment PSP the way we’d have liked to, but the good news is that you can still find out how the story of Tatsuya Suou, Maya Amano, and the Joker curse ends! Unlike Innocent Sin, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment was localized once before on PlayStation in 2000, and it’s that version of the game that we’re bringing to PSN as a PSOne classic now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Rinkles posted:

Straight from the horse's mouth

Better than nothing. If they'd make it available on the Vita I would be the happiest goon in the world.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Have they released enough SMT4 art that we can play spot the Lucifer or not yet?

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Thank you Index Corp (c) for preventing Eternal Punishment PSP in the US.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Arbite posted:

Have they released enough SMT4 art that we can play spot the Lucifer or not yet?

Smart Money's on the Black Demonica. I mean Luci was female in SJ.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Arbite posted:

Lucifer is possibly that set of lips in the background:

Lucifer is possibly the Black Samurai ("being the black samurai" and "being the thing on the cover" are not mutually exclusive).

If you mean "Have they released screenshots of a doped-up looking blond person named 'Mysterious _______'?" then the answer is no.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

Why is the heroine conspicuously absent from the cover? (I know that's not the cover, but it's basically just an uncropped version of it).

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Effectronica: Not quite. Whenever they show up, usually the Amesha Spentas and associates talk about the Lord in their join quotes. They're depicted indistinguishably from regular angels for some reason.

So you know, Tyrant is a localization of Maou, Demon King. They'd have a hell of a time fitting, say, "Demon King Beelzebub" into menus. Lucifer is Daimaou, similar to Daitenshi. Just attach "Great" to the start.

As for Chaos... I'm taking what it's supposed to represent at face value. It's not actually supposed to have a hierarchy barring pure meritocracy. Which is a problem when you realize that by their own logic they have no business opposing YHVH, since he is obviously the most powerful entity and thus should be the leader by their own metrics.

But I digress. I actually knew about the fact that Asuras and Ahuras got conflated (though it's worth noting that for whatever reason their roles got reversed in the interim), et cetera et cetera.

The objection was more that... well, can you imagine Ahura Mazda going "Yes, I totally subscribe to a philosophy where the strong should be able to crush the weak at a whim"? He's not just Light-Chaos on the alignment screen, he is seriously into that stuff as Asura King. It's a baffling characterization choice that you can shrug off by itself, but it gets weird when Angra shows up and then Sraosha is a Light-Law YHVH servant.

It was basically a long way of saying "Don't even start thinking this series makes sense in regards to myth characterizations" with an explanation of why in Ahriman's case it's a bad idea (since you can't trust his counterpart's characterization to make sense).

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 27, 2013

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Unless the release date changes, it comes out on my birfday :3

I guess I have to get a 3DS now...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TurnipFritter posted:

Lucifer is possibly the Black Samurai ("being the black samurai" and "being the thing on the cover" are not mutually exclusive).

If you mean "Have they released screenshots of a doped-up looking blond person named 'Mysterious _______'?" then the answer is no.

This picture makes me realize that more women in anime need that guy on the right's frizzy hair, it's not used enough. Huh? Oh right, demons, SMT4, get hype I guess.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
I'm pretty hype. I like Demon conversations and I like dungeon crawls and I like SMT games and they haven't changed a goddamn thing because they know much more about making good video games then any of us do.

SMT 4! Wooooo! Lemme get a hee! (hooo) hee! (hooo) hee! (hooo) and all the fly pixies in the house say "agi!" (agiiiii) awwww jeah

press that turn and lets spin it again.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

As long as it's better than the entire second half of Strange Journey.

And as long as other new demon designs, if any, aren't horrendous like the majority of what we've seen so far.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 27, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
To be fair, Atlus would have to TRY to make the game as bad as the second half of Strange Journey.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Sex_Ferguson posted:

To be fair, Atlus would have to TRY to make the game as bad as the second half of Strange Journey.

So in other words, we have a conundrum over whether to attribute that section to malice or stupidity?

I'm not sure. Strange Journey wasn't as nasty as Persona 1's dungeons. Now those were sheer malice.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Based on the cover art, the new demons wouldn't look nearly as awful if the stuff that actually appears in game had been drawn by Doi and had the smooth coloring. Instead, half of it looks like it was pulled from one of the SNES games.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Don't worry guys, one day we'll get the PSP versions of P2 together in the US.

One day... :unsmith:

Also, what does "unusual circumstances" mean in this context? Were all the copies stolen or something? :tinfoil:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

So, in other words, with graphics closer to the style of Nocturne?

I suppose I can buy that.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
The only real problem with the second half of Strange Journey is that the boss fights become really absurdly hard (Ouroburos!) and also all of Sector H.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Booky posted:

Don't worry guys, one day we'll get the PSP versions of P2 together in the US.

One day... :unsmith:

Also, what does "unusual circumstances" mean in this context? Were all the copies stolen or something? :tinfoil:

"Unusual circumstances" means "Index said we couldn't and them's the breaks."

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
I'm curious about what I should buy next in the Persona series. I've played the poo poo out of P4 and P3 and have P3P on the Vita. I'm interested in whether I should play the Innocent Sin remake or Persona 1's portable version next, specifically.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Sex_Ferguson posted:

"Unusual circumstances" means "Index said we couldn't and them's the breaks."

Oh. Well, that sucks. :smith:

Why would they deny it? The blog guy said in his post that it wasn't due to low sales, so was it a translation problem?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

RentCavalier posted:

The only real problem with the second half of Strange Journey is that the boss fights become really absurdly hard (Ouroburos!) and also all of Sector H.

How is Ouroboros difficult at all? Three demons, match alignment, spam any level of Zio. Destroyed in one-two rounds with 4x Demon Co-Op.

The issue is that navigating the dungeons is a disgusting slog.

Booky posted:

Why would they deny it? The blog guy said in his post that it wasn't due to low sales, so was it a translation problem?

Some Japanese parent companies are extremely strange when it comes to deciding what gets localized in the West. There could be any number of reasons.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 27, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Booky posted:

It was pretty likely due to it being a PSP game and the PSP being dead in the water. Sony may even be pushing for companies not to release PSP games at all to encourage Vita adoption instead. (Which might explain why we didn't get Final Fantasy Type-0 either.)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Playing Strange Journey finally despite owning it since release and if I weren't cheating through the thing I'd be far more frustrated with it. Demon negotiation is bullshit. Three Justice Power appear in front of me. Being law alignment right now I talk to the first one. He asks me a question that I answer, wrong apparently. So I talk to the next who asks the same question. I select the other option which was wrong. So I talk to the thing one randomly pick one of the two and that one got pissed and attacked me.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ImpAtom posted:

It was pretty likely due to it being a PSP game and the PSP being dead in the water. Sony may even be pushing for companies not to release PSP games at all to encourage Vita adoption instead. (Which might explain why we didn't get Final Fantasy Type-0 either.)

Ohhh. Do you think it'll eventually be re-released for the Vita or something?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Most likely the only chance you'll have to play the remake is if, or to be honest, when it gets a fan translation. It's really just a matter of time, it's bound to happen now that they said it wont get localized.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Booky posted:

Ohhh. Do you think it'll eventually be re-released for the Vita or something?

It's incredibly unlikely. Atlus wasn't able to bring Soul Hackers to the West on PSN because of SCEA and that never changed, I wouldn't be surprised if Eternal Punishment PSP much like Type-0 never sees the light of day in the West.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

So, in other words, with graphics closer to the style of Nocturne?

I suppose I can buy that.

I want the designs in the game to look more coherent (this would include retouching the old 90s Kaneko art, too), and I'd be lying if I said I didn't hope the unifying style to be more like Nocturne than early 90s SMT.

Compare Raphael from the cover with Raphael that will actually appear in game:

It'd be different if they were using 3D models or actual sprites where there's room to interpret designs, but when you're straight up using mostly static art you could at least try to make it all look like it belongs in the same game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TurnipFritter posted:

I want the designs in the game to look more coherent (this would include retouching the old 90s Kaneko art, too), and I'd be lying if I said I didn't hope the unifying style to be more like Nocturne than early 90s SMT.

Compare Raphael from the cover with Raphael that will actually appear in game:

It'd be different if they were using 3D models or actual sprites where there's room to interpret designs, but when you're straight up using mostly static art you could at least try to make it all look like it belongs in the same game.

Whoa, that's Raphael's new design? That's... I'm not gonna lie, that's pretty badass. The Seraphs were demons that did really need a nice touch-up, it's nice they got it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Are we supposed to like or dislike that design? Personally I think it's aces.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Are we supposed to like or dislike that design? Personally I think it's aces.

I'm not here to tell you how to feel. I'm saying that I feel the version of it that appears on the cover looks substantially better.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Turnip: I don't know, Raphael's among the worst of the redesigns. You cannot convince me that it looks good in any medium.

Though I do agree it looks "better" on the cover.

It's going to look strange when two demon portraits of vastly different art styles are next to each other on a battle screen.

Honestly though, what can you do? Hire a guy to redraw all of them? That'd take a long time, and I can't imagine the results would be that well received.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

I'm curious about what I should buy next in the Persona series. I've played the poo poo out of P4 and P3 and have P3P on the Vita. I'm interested in whether I should play the Innocent Sin remake or Persona 1's portable version next, specifically.

Most people don't like 1, so you should probably check out 2.