Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

raditts posted:

I don't know who Ben Heck is, so where does the irony come in?

You know those nice-looking portable game consoles that every tech blog ever reports on, where someone's cut a board down and soldered a battery and a screen on and made it look vaguely like the original console? He's the guy who makes them.

E: Here's a good example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

raditts posted:

It will be present next to those joysticks you plug into your TV that have Atari 2600 or crappy old arcade games built into them.

The reason I'm curious is because this is the same women who took Notch saying "It's kinda neat..." to mean "MINECRAFT WILL BE ON OUYA".

The retail thing is, I'm sure, exaggerated. But I'm not sure by how much?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

All you haters need to quit mocking the OHNO. Sure there's gonna be a lot of garbage at first but you know what system had a bunch of garbage games? The Famicom. You know what also made Mario, Megaman, and Zelda so popular? The loving Famicom! If I were a indie game dev I'd be all over this. Make an actual good game and make it IOWA exclusive and you have a goddamn franchise fellating your main character.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Manslaughter posted:

All you haters need to quit mocking the OHNO. Sure there's gonna be a lot of garbage at first but you know what system had a bunch of garbage games? The Famicom. You know what also made Mario, Megaman, and Zelda so popular? The loving Famicom! If I were a indie game dev I'd be all over this. Make an actual good game and make it IOWA exclusive and you have a goddamn franchise fellating your main character.

Uh, wrong? Nintendo mostly tried to limit the Famicom / NES to good games AFAIK and it was companies like LJN who found legal loopholes to get games out for NES against Nintendo's will, so Nintendo finally cracked in the 90s and let more companies make games for their consoles.

The whole reason Nintendo saved the games industry from the previous crash was because it stood for quality, unlike the generation previous.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 26, 2013

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh, wrong? Not sure if serious.

You stupid rear end in a top hat.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh, wrong? Nintendo mostly tried to limit the Famicom / NES to good games AFAIK and it was companies like LJN who found legal loopholes to get games out for NES against Nintendo's will, so Nintendo finally cracked in the 90s and let more companies make games for their consoles.

The whole reason Nintendo saved the games industry from the previous crash was because it stood for quality, unlike the generation previous.

Nintendo didn't QA for poo poo for the Famicom, that was one hundred per cent NOA's deal. (Thus why a lot of Japanese devs had umbrella companies for their multitude of US releases, to get around the limits that only NOA had for them.)

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Zaphod42 posted:

Pffffhahahahahahahahahaha. All the "nintendo seal of approval" meant (FYI) was that the game would boot to a main menu, and wouldn't cause physical damage to your NES when you turned it on.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Red_Mage posted:

Pffffhahahahahahahahahaha. All the "nintendo seal of approval" meant (FYI) was that the game would boot to a main menu, and wouldn't cause physical damage to your NES when you turned it on.

Are there any NES releases that literally can't be finished? Obviously there are many that can't be finished in a reasonable manner.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dewgy posted:

Nintendo didn't QA for poo poo for the Famicom, that was one hundred per cent NOA's deal. (Thus why a lot of Japanese devs had umbrella companies for their multitude of US releases, to get around the limits that only NOA had for them.)

Ah, I didn't realize that was only the case for North America and Nintendo of America. Sorry, good to know. I guess the Famicom had tons of lovely games the NES didn't?

Red_Mage posted:

I didn't mean the seal of approval. There were legal shenanigans.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Red_Mage posted:

Now think about the Ouya: can't you see it coming out with games that won't even start, and probably a few that damage something somehow?

ps there were games for the Atari 2600 and other no control at all systems that would literally damage systems or not even start. The Nintendo seal "just" meaning those didn't happen was kind of a big deal.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

theflyingorc posted:

Are there any NES releases that literally can't be finished? Obviously there are many that can't be finished in a reasonable manner.

I'm pretty sure there's a few, I know Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is drat near impossible, and also drat near incomprehensible. I don't know of anything quite like Impossible Mission for C64 though, which was literally impossible due to a coding error.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Dewgy posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a few, I know Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is drat near impossible, and also drat near incomprehensible. I don't know of anything quite like Impossible Mission for C64 though, which was literally impossible due to a coding error.

You can actually beat most of the "unbeatable" NES game with a Game genie. However ones like Dino Riki never programmed an ending so you wind up back at the start after sinking hours of anger and rage into it to be rewarded with nothing.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

theflyingorc posted:

Yes. The only one I remember where every situation and every cartirdge was defetive was Cheetahmen. It doesn't have some level end triggers, meaning that without a game genie you cannot advance past a certain level.

I think there is a bizarre bug that can render Zelda 2 permanently unfinishable as well.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Red_Mage posted:

Yes. The only one I remember where every situation and every cartirdge was defetive was Cheetahmen. It doesn't have some level end triggers, meaning that without a game genie you cannot advance past a certain level.

I think there is a bizarre bug that can render Zelda 2 permanently unfinishable as well.

Cheetahmen II and the Action 52 were both unlicensed though. :smug:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Red_Mage posted:

Your one example is a bootleg cartridge?

The only thing I could find about Zelda 2 on Google sounded like a defective copy of the game.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 27, 2013

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Dewgy posted:

I don't know of anything quite like Impossible Mission for C64 though, which was literally impossible due to a coding error.

It's....beautiful.

edit: I found an Atari forum where they were discussing this topic, Impossible Mission and Rastan for the C64 are the only games anyone appears to know of, barring Cheetahmen, of course. :)

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 27, 2013

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

raditts posted:

Your one example is a bootleg cartridge?

The only thing I could find about Zelda 2 on Google sounded like a defective copy of the game.

Well there is also the infamous Battletoads bug, that made the game unbeatable in coop (the second player's controls just outright stop working on one level, meaning you can never proceed). I seem to recall some licensed platformer for a movie (probably by LJN) having a similar issue where there is an unjumpable gap at the end of a midpoint level, but I cannot remember for the life of me what it was.

Install Gentoo posted:

ps there were games for the Atari 2600 and other no control at all systems that would literally damage systems or not even start. The Nintendo seal "just" meaning those didn't happen was kind of a big deal.

The only thing good about the OUYA is this shouldn't really be able to happen right? Like not even start sure, but they aren't giving out low enough level access to physically damage the hardware are they?

Red_Mage fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 27, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dewgy posted:

I don't know of anything quite like Impossible Mission for C64 though, which was literally impossible due to a coding error.

Impossible Mission for the Commodore 64 can be beaten. It's the US Atari 7800 release and some copies of the ZX Spectrum version that are literally impossible.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Red_Mage posted:

The only thing good about the OUYA is this shouldn't really be able to happen right? Like not even start sure, but they aren't giving out low enough level access to physically damage the hardware are they?
Well, if their cooling solution hasn't improved by final release, I'd imagine you could just run the device until it burned itself out.

It's still been nearly a month since the OUYA blog updated. I'd honestly expect an update on either Feb. 28th or March 1st.

It's weird that they haven't updated in so long, because there were 5 separate updates during January, even if most of them related to the stupid Game Jam as if Game Jams were something worth celebrating.

There hasn't been an update to the Kickstarter since February 5th.

edit: Oh, man, a Kickstarter for a webshow COVERING the OUYA:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ogs/ouya-gaming-source?ref=live

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 27, 2013

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

Well, if their cooling solution hasn't improved by final release, I'd imagine you could just run the device until it burned itself out.

It's still been nearly a month since the OUYA blog updated. I'd honestly expect an update on either Feb. 28th or March 1st.

It's weird that they haven't updated in so long, because there were 5 separate updates during January, even if most of them related to the stupid Game Jam as if Game Jams were something worth celebrating.

There hasn't been an update to the Kickstarter since February 5th.

edit: Oh, man, a Kickstarter for a webshow COVERING the OUYA:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ogs/ouya-gaming-source?ref=live

I'm just waiting for the update saying the console is delayed. They will try to keep this scam going as long as possible, and I'm sure they could drag it out for another year or two.

I love the idea of a webshow about ouya. It'd be like Bruce and Ed's bitcoin show all over again with scams and suspected pedophilia.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Devian666 posted:

I'm just waiting for the update saying the console is delayed. They will try to keep this scam going as long as possible, and I'm sure they could drag it out for another year or two.

I love the idea of a webshow about ouya. It'd be like Bruce and Ed's bitcoin show all over again with scams and suspected pedophilia.

Maybe I'll get to report Julie Ehrman to the FBI! :swoon:

edit: IF the console is delayed, they are going to be in deep, deep trouble when it comes to getting however many units they're supposed to out to retail.

double edit: can anyone else not get to shop.ouya.tv? I'm trying to see if they have an actual release date set. I think they just said "March" originally.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 27, 2013

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Red_Mage posted:

Oh my loving god. Watch Ben Heck disassemble an OUYA, with absolutely no sense of irony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hh3Ezg9xf0

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I didn't read all 10,000 posts from the other OUYA thread. After looking at the weirdass upside-down taper on the case with the tiny board in the middle and the weight they stuck at the bottom to keep it from tipping over, I don't understand why they didn't just make a sleek looking monolithic cube/rectangle thing? Were they worried it would look too much like a cell phone or something?

(I thought the triggers were kind of nifty though)

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 27, 2013

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I didn't read all 10,000 posts from the other OUYA thread. After looking at the weirdass upside-down taper on the case with the tiny board in the middle and the weight they stuck at the bottom to keep it from tipping over, I don't understand why they didn't just make a sleek looking monolithic cube/rectangle thing? Were they worried it would look too much like a cell phone or something?

Because of YVES BEHAR, inventor of the $99 laptop and he who prophesied the ROOT BUTTON.

Which, by the way is absent from the dev units. VERY MISLEADING.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

theflyingorc posted:

double edit: can anyone else not get to shop.ouya.tv? I'm trying to see if they have an actual release date set. I think they just said "March" originally.

I went there, it just says June 2013.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

They commissioned a case design way before they bothered to engineer the actual board or anything else. When the Kickstarter launched they had that case design and that's it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Install Gentoo posted:

They commissioned a case design way before they bothered to engineer the actual board or anything else. When the Kickstarter launched they had that case design and that's it.

Uh, you're forgetting a can-do spirit, belief in the love of television, and a desire to finally unshackle us from THE BIG THREE.

edit: Reading the backer updates, the OUYA release date for backers slipped from March to April. They literally never drew attention to this. The release date has officially slipped once, let's see if they go for 3.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 27, 2013

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
Is it just me or do those pots on the triggers look like they'd snap if someone hit the triggers hard enough?

theflyingorc posted:

[The root button] is absent from the dev units. VERY MISLEADING.

They're at the factory. We're sending a person there to sit in the office until they're ready. Worst case scenario is March.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I'm not worried about the NES games that have such fancy video game terminology as 'endings'. Reminder: if you defend the lower bounds of NES quality, you are defending this.

It's okay though, as soon as I get my OHIO I'll be able to emulate the NES and live the dream.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

theflyingorc posted:

edit: Reading the backer updates, the OUYA release date for backers slipped from March to April. They literally never drew attention to this. The release date has officially slipped once, let's see if they go for 3.

Which update is that in? I know there's an April shipment going out to the first group of people that ordered consoles from the OUYA.tv shop, are you sure that's not what you're reading about?

Uhrman's going to do some kind of interview/keynote with Josh Topolsky at SXSW on the 11th, maybe we'll hear more about the Kickstarter shipment there.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 27, 2013

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Little known fact: the OUYA is actually a mass produced Lemarchand's box, built upon the false hopes and dreams of indie game rapture. When they are all activated in June, instead of indie game rapture, the cenobites will come and bring about the end times in an orgy of suffering and pain.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Dapper Dan posted:

Little known fact: the OUYA is actually a mass produced Lemarchand's box, built upon the false hopes and dreams of indie game rapture. When they are all activated in June, instead of indie game rapture, the cenobites will come and bring about the end times in an orgy of suffering and pain.

Maybe that's why they had to remove the root button?

edit: the ouya configuration

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 27, 2013

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Is there anything stopping me/anyone from creating Ouya.net and offering developers a higher cut of revenues? It would be pretty funny for someone to come along and put together a quick and easy site, offer 75-80% of revenues to developers, and having better sales, kinda like Greenmangaming.

Of course, 85% of 0 is still 0...

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

XboxPants posted:

Which update is that in? I know there's an April shipment going out to the first group of people that ordered consoles from the OUYA.tv shop, are you sure that's not what you're reading about?

Yeah, found the spot where I combined two sentences in the FAQ. Whoops.

Still, with their silence, I expect them not to make it in time, but I wouldn't guarantee it. I would point out that the confirmation blog for "dev units are shipping on time" was November 30th to be shipped December 28th, so if nothing happens within a week, the window is smaller. Still not a guarantee of failure, but their current silence is so WEIRD.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dewgy posted:

I think you're confusing the words animation and illustration. "Animation" is a word that literally means "movement". You cannot have beautiful animated still pictures.

Listen buddy, when I play D&D and use Animate Dead it clearly turns the corpse in to a drawing of Mickey Mouse. :rolldice:

e: vvvvvv Just consider it a late addition to his title's link.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 27, 2013

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Still waiting for XboxPants to clarify his position on animation not inherently meaning motion.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Dapper Dan posted:

Pre-ordered.

Now tell me more about these orgies I can expect on my new OUYOBAMA.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Requested_Username posted:

"Oh it's bluetooth.....that makes sense......"
Eh, guess what the Wii and PS3 use. I didn't really think the teardown video was so bad except for the form factor and (non)mounting of the WOWEE, really, and I liked the side explanation on the 360's mush pad. Weights have been around in a bunch of consumer electronics for quite some time. The trigger mechanism is kind of cool though I'd be wary of the cogs stripping, and uggghhhh retention clips.

Still, why not just make a portable form factor, which would be more suitable(like a phone maaaaayyybeeeee)?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Dewgy posted:

I've never heard of anything like this, I can confirm that Impossible Mission is definitely beatable on the C64.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Ahahahaha, holy poo poo, that Ben Heck video. Can't believe they weighted the controller to make it feel less cheap.

I think this is the case with controllers if they don't have vibrators attached to them. Didn't the Dreamcast have a small billet in it?

e: looking for dreamcast controller pics, I ran across this, which could give the ouya a run for its money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

boo_radley posted:

I think this is the case with controllers if they don't have vibrators attached to them. Didn't the Dreamcast have a small billet in it?

Yeah I don't knock em for this. The Sixaxis didn't have rumble and felt really cheap to people as a result.

Not that that that really helps the OUYA controller.

• Locked thread