Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
poo poo. All this talk of losing financial aid after your first bachelors makes me even more anxious to try and double-major. Even if my class schedules lined up perfectly there is no way I could graduate simultaneously with both, but I could cut it down to about a year of additional schooling. (Currently majoring in Industrial Design, considering Computer Science.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Anony Mouse posted:

poo poo. All this talk of losing financial aid after your first bachelors makes me even more anxious to try and double-major. Even if my class schedules lined up perfectly there is no way I could graduate simultaneously with both, but I could cut it down to about a year of additional schooling. (Currently majoring in Industrial Design, considering Computer Science.)

It's not that big of a deal if you're starting as a double major. It becomes a larger deal if you're starting from scratch after already getting one.

Beria posted:

are you the most interesting man in the world

No, I just planned my entire degree down to the last minute detail from the very start.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I can't imagine doing undergrad twice anyway. Especially knowing I could be in grad school.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Name: Shimazu
School: Washington University St Louis
Major: Biochemistry / Biology
Minor: Philosophy
Sign: Aquarius
Pubic Mane: Cornrows, Intimidating

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW
I'm seeing a distinct lack of gender studies majors. You people make me sick.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL posted:

I'm seeing a distinct lack of gender studies majors. You people make me sick.
Were we supposed to be listing extracurricular activities, too?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Godholio
School: Weber State University (some classes at U of U in SLC)
Major: BS Psychology

School: Norwich University
Major: MA Military History

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Mad Pino Rage
School: Indiana University Purdue University - Indianapolis
Major: BS Computer Science
Minor: Math

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I want to thank all of you who've helped with my questions, because I know I can trust this forum.

Right now after more consideration and talking it out for nearly an hour with my girlfriend, I'm leaning towards not finishing with TESC and transferring my credits into a BS, and doing something I want to do. Do major schools typically accept transfer students for winter semester? I need to get this application process together soon.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 27, 2013

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

shyduck posted:

I want to thank all of you would helped with my questions, because I know I can trust this forum.

Right now after more consideration and talking it out for nearly an hour with my girlfriend, I'm leaning towards not finishing with TESC and transferring my credits into a BS, and doing something I want to do. Do major schools typically accept transfer students for winter semester? I need to get this application process together soon.

Generally yes, unless the program in particular happens to be structured to the point where they only accept new students for the fall. If that were to happen, you could always just go undeclared for a semester or two.

The only thing to be really cautious about is how your credits transfer. It's never pretty. If you can transfer 65%, that's a good deal. My school, for example, is notoriously bad at accepting credits. If it doesn't match nearly word for word, topic for topic in a course catalog, it's iffy at best.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Vasudus posted:

The only thing to be really cautious about is how your credits transfer. It's never pretty. If you can transfer 65%, that's a good deal. My school, for example, is notoriously bad at accepting credits. If it doesn't match nearly word for word, topic for topic in a course catalog, it's iffy at best.
Well luckily for that one of my choices has a 100% transfer agreement with the CC I went to prior to joining, so that's a decent chunk of core classes and electives right off the bat, plus I've taken a few CLEP/DSST exams. Obviously the military CCAF credits are gonna be a coin toss, but I can live with not having to do english comp and speech again.

Also, I haven't taken too many classes at TESC for it to really be a wash as far as that route; they simply took a ton of stuff. I have no real investment with the school, so no biggie either way.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
spongeworthy
University of Texas at Austin
International Relations, Middle East Studies

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

spongeworthy posted:

spongeworthy
University of Texas at Austin
International Relations, Middle East Studies

Jealous. I loving adore that city. Alas, they won't take me.

It's looking fairly likely I'm going to end up at Oregon State since they're friendly and I've got a surprisingly large number of friends in the region.

West coast, best coast.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
My school will only accept 3 credits total for CLEP and it has to be one on a list. I haven't taken any on the list :(

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

KetTarma posted:

My school will only accept 3 credits total for CLEP and it has to be one on a list. I haven't taken any on the list :(

On the plus side you get to go to school at The Citadel, so at least you're not surrounded by pure distilled military gayness and really bad future Army officers......

camino
Feb 23, 2006
Name: camino
School: Great Lakes Maritime Academy / Ferris State University
Major: AS: Maritime Engineering BA: Business Administration

Somewhat distilled military gayness, but mostly play acting.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.
Name: Richiehimself
School: Eastern Michigan University
Major/Minor: History/Econ

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

On the plus side you get to go to school at The Citadel, so at least you're not surrounded by pure distilled military gayness and really bad future Army officers......

I'll be honest: the fake military stuff is hilarious. Doubly so because I know how little anyone will give a poo poo in the real military. I used to love making fun of academy/citadel/VMI grads as a nuke school instructor. Now I can do it from the other end. God help any future babby-nukes I run into.

I like just sitting on the quad watching all of the freshmen do their haze-walk in the gutters while saluting everyone. Yesterday I saw an upperclassman reaming a freshman for not walking fast enough down the road. I can't wait to see the next combat patrol across the quad looking for IEDs or whatever it is they do.

"CONTACT IN GRIMSLEY HALL, GET DOWN! BANGBANGBANGBANG!"

camino
Feb 23, 2006
We have uniforms at my school, basically old Johnny Cash Working Blues (but also a short sleeve working blue). There's a Merchant Marine Reserve component that spergs about their uniforms, but they have an honest to God LCDR that keeps them in line. Most other people look hilariously bad. I knew one guy that had a rip in his pant leg past his knee, and just refused to do anything about it.

The kids that actually give a drat about their uniforms are kind of sad. If they wanted to join the military they could sign up for the MMR program and earn cash while in school, but instead they just like to pretend that their uniform means something.

They let vets wear their medals with the uniform, and it seems like about 50% do. Mostly Army and Air Force, although a couple of Navy guys wear them (all surface WARRIORS though). In my particular class, no one wears them. I tend to think that if the Nav wanted me to wear that poo poo, they'd still be paying me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The god damned vonapp thing is pissing me off. I tell it I don't have a vonapp account. I can log into my DS account to create one. I get linked to my DS account and login. I come back and I'm at the beginning of the vonapp process again. It asks me if I want to log into my DS account. If I click that, it sends me to a "DS logon simulator" that has some blanks to fill in to simulate a DS login. I don't even loving know at this point.

EDIT: Just made a vonapp account instead. That was a waste of a half hour of my life.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 27, 2013

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Mr. Nice! posted:

The god damned vonapp thing is pissing me off. I tell it I don't have a vonapp account. I can log into my DS account to create one. I get linked to my DS account and login. I come back and I'm at the beginning of the vonapp process again. It asks me if I want to log into my DS account. If I click that, it sends me to a "DS logon simulator" that has some blanks to fill in to simulate a DS login. I don't even loving know at this point.

EDIT: Just made a vonapp account instead. That was a waste of a half hour of my life.

hahahah yes its miserable

making a premium ebenefits account using myhealthvet was definitely frustrating as poo poo also, they don't make anything simple and no one talks to one another it seems

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I got to where I needed to put every college I've attended in and stopped for now. I hurt too much at the time to focus. Also that's like 5 different places I have to look up not counting the couple of classes I've done via correspondence.

The thing is, and these sites and things like the VOW act make clear: the government doesn't seem to give a poo poo really if you know what your benefits are OR take advantage of them.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Are you really putting all your demographic information into the application because that's just for statistical purposes.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Name: rockamic
School: University of Colorado
Major: Aerospace Engineering
Ask Me About: Having opinions on calculators and programming languages

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vasudus posted:

Are you really putting all your demographic information into the application because that's just for statistical purposes.

It made it all seem like it was required. I don't have to do that loving mile long survey at the beginning?!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

It made it all seem like it was required. I don't have to do that loving mile long survey at the beginning?!

It's 99% statistical analysis. I don't know what the process is like now, but I just left everything blank on my survey portion.

They give zero fucks what you've done or what you're planning on doing, because the past is irrelevant to issuing you a certificate of eligibility and the future is always uncertain.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vasudus posted:

It's 99% statistical analysis. I don't know what the process is like now, but I just left everything blank on my survey portion.

They give zero fucks what you've done or what you're planning on doing, because the past is irrelevant to issuing you a certificate of eligibility and the future is always uncertain.

Fuckers.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Well, being a quantitative sociologist myself, I wish people would fill out their surveys fully and accurately. But I also know that poo poo is terribly annoying and people hate the goddamn things. That's probably why they made it sound mandatory, playing on the mindset that miltypes will follow directions or risk it getting kicked back.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
They know us too well

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW
So about 5 weeks ago after I did my taxes I put in a FAFSA appeal for change of income. Had to wait till I did my taxes for 2012 so I could prove that my income dropped a shitload and I deserve sweet Pell Grant monies. I figured it'd get approved no problem since my taxable income for 2012 was 3 grand, but I'm concerned about this sequester stuff. Is that gonna possibly gently caress me out of my free money?

Edit: why the gently caress do I still think it's 2012.

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 28, 2013

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL posted:

So about 5 weeks ago after I did my taxes I put in a FAFSA appeal for change of income. Had to wait till I did my taxes for 2011 so I could prove that my income dropped a shitload and I deserve sweet Pell Grant monies. I figured it'd get approved no problem since my taxable income for 2011 was 3 grand, but I'm concerned about this sequester stuff. Is that gonna possibly gently caress me out of my free money?

That's a good question. I haven't gotten any notice about it- but that doesn't mean poo poo in this industry. I just looked it up and it seems that the pell grant is not affected, but that student loans will be.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hey yea that's going to be a problem for me as well. My school said I can file for a loss of income appeal for FAFSA poo poo but I can't do it till near summer ish. I want free money y'all.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Hey there's usually no issues with post 9/11 at a community college, correct? I'm thinking of taking care of some pre reqs in a decent city before committing to a degree.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Hey does anyone else always get paid on the 1st instead of the last of the month?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Hey there's usually no issues with post 9/11 at a community college, correct? I'm thinking of taking care of some pre reqs in a decent city before committing to a degree.
To piggyback this, would something like this affect Yellow Ribbon eligibility?

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
If I plan on using GI bennies in the August what is the absolute last day I should transfer to 9/11 so I don't have to worry about poo poo. I still have to apply for FAFSA and waiting on transfer acceptance letters for some and finalizing applications for others.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Now that piece of poo poo system is saying that my vonapp account was never created. I can't deal with this right now on this lovely work internet. I'll deal with it at home.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!

With my experience so far, almost all community colleges will have no issue accepting the Post 9/11, just as long as you qualify. I had a retard moment where I was trying to get into this nursing college, I assumed it was community, however after speaking to an adviser, I found out that it is a "For-Profit" school. The Post 9/11 will still pay some, but id have to pay the rest with some other way. So just make sure you don't do what I did and waste three weeks.

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

Hey does anyone else always get paid on the 1st instead of the last of the month?

Also, all the ex-military, including myself using the Post 9/11, all get paid on the 1st, of the following month.

Incursus fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 1, 2013

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Goddamnit, this is what happens when I read threads on my phone and forget to reply.

Yeah, it's fine.

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

The funds are released from the treasury on the last working day of the month. Depending on your bank and other methods of financial sorcery, it may take a full day to clear.

shyduck posted:

To piggyback this, would something like this affect Yellow Ribbon eligibility?

YR only kicks in if your academic expendatures are over $18,300 in tuition for an academic year. Most community colleges top out around 2k for full time status.

HClChicken posted:

If I plan on using GI bennies in the August what is the absolute last day I should transfer to 9/11 so I don't have to worry about poo poo. I still have to apply for FAFSA and waiting on transfer acceptance letters for some and finalizing applications for others.

Assuming 1 August, you want to have your certification completed by the 2nd week in June, which means you want to apply for your benefits the first week in May.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Worked for me for 2 years.

• Locked thread