Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
The best thickener in my kitchen is time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Faithless posted:

Any tips on how to make a chilli less spicy? I've just got a new bunch of dried chilli's I'm unfamiliar with and I'm worried I'm going to make my next batch too hot. Also thankyou for the chilli paste idea.

Don't add as much chile. If it's too spicy, add less next time. If it's not spicy enough, add more. There's really no science to it, it's personal preference.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006

Martello posted:

Don't add as much chile. If it's too spicy, add less next time. If it's not spicy enough, add more. There's really no science to it, it's personal preference.

Will adding in some chilli's half way through cooking to make it spicier if it isnt to my level be ok?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Faithless posted:

Will adding in some chilli's half way through cooking to make it spicier if it isnt to my level be ok?

Yup. This is what people talk about when cooking to taste. You're making a dish that takes like 4-6 hours to simmer. Toss in heat, let to cook for 20-30 minutes, come back and taste. Repeat until satisfied

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Thats also another problem adding too much liquid early on. You can't tell how hot the finished product will be until its reduced and maybe too late

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Faithless posted:

Any tips on how to make a chilli less spicy? I've just got a new bunch of dried chilli's I'm unfamiliar with and I'm worried I'm going to make my next batch too hot. Also thankyou for the chilli paste idea.

Here's what I do, though I don't do the paste thing: I grind up two separate batches of chili powder, one with the spicier chilis and one with the milder chilis. I add a ton of the mild powder at the beginning, along with a bit of the spicier stuff. That way i can add a lot of flavor without making it too spicy. About halfway through I'll taste it and see if it is spicy enough (depending on who I'm cooking for) and add more of the spicy powder as needed.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Anchos aren't very spicy but have great flavor. Toast in a pan, soak in hot water, and puree. Even really heat sensitive people (like my mother who claims she doesn't like onions or bell pepper) don't have a problem with it.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
Masa isn't just for thickening if you gently caress up: it's an integral ingredient in any true southwest chili, and adds a really distinct flavor that you wont get with corn meal or flour.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I think that maybe chili isn't really the food for people who don't like spicy foods? Like, there are many other fine stews you can make with cheap cuts of meat that don't need to be messed with to be enjoyed.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Turds in magma posted:

Masa isn't just for thickening if you gently caress up: it's an integral ingredient in any true southwest chili

Just like cream is an integral ingredient for any true Italian Carbonara.

No.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

bunnielab posted:

I think that maybe chili isn't really the food for people who don't like spicy foods?

I've made some perfectly delicious chili without using spicy chilis or extraneous question marks.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

bunnielab posted:

I think that maybe chili isn't really the food for people who don't like spicy foods? Like, there are many other fine stews you can make with cheap cuts of meat that don't need to be messed with to be enjoyed.

I was thinking the same thing. Hey guys, does anyone know a way to make ice cream less cold? Ice cream tends to be too cold for my palate.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Wow, this thread is full of douchey spice snobs. Does your chili evaporate from the pot if you only use anchos and pasillas and anaheims? No? Well that was a lovely analogy then.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Wow, there are people in this thread who take mildly insulting humor jokes on the something awful dot com internet forums way too seriously.

Last night I thawed out what was left of the chili I made a couple weeks ago, and it was just as delicious as when I first made it if not even better. Definitely need to make another chili soon, this time with a different meat mix. I'm out of pig hearts, unfortunately.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Martello posted:

I'm out of pig hearts, unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure this is the first and last time this sentence will ever be typed on these forums.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Wrong.

I'm out of pig hearts, unfortunately.

Seriously, though, the heart meat was fantastic in the chili. The cubes kept their shape and most of the texture, giving a nice contrast to the fallen-apart beef and bison. Any gamey or irony flavors are undetectable among all the other flavors in the chili. If for any reason you get your hands on a pig heart I recommend trying it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Discovered a can of chilis in adobo in my pantry last night. Wife was planning on using it for a meal later on in the week. Opened it up, had some on tacos. Holy poo poo. Where have you been all my life?

Also have you guys ever had Lizano sauce? I love that stuff to death.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Choadmaster posted:

Wow, this thread is full of douchey spice snobs. Does your chili evaporate from the pot if you only use anchos and pasillas and anaheims? No? Well that was a lovely analogy then.

It's weird right? Almost as if the name of the dish and it's main ingredient tend to be spicy? It's like we name things so that people have a common point of reference when describing similar objects. If you are making a meat stew that isn't spicy, contains tomatoes, corn, or other random vegetables then why call it chili? The name refers to a specific dish. Is a pile of bacon, lettuce, tomato, and mayo sitting on a plate still a sandwich? If you add bread but stick a burger patty in there is it still a BLT?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I think there's more than enough leeway to have a chili that doesn't use spicy peppers, man.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Inconceivable.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

bunnielab posted:

There's nothing wrong with chili that is just a mild burn instead of HOLY GOD MY MOUTH IS ON FIRE. Chili with zero heat is a bit weird for sure.

Choadmaster posted:

Wow, this thread is full of douchey spice snobs.

Hi, welcome to GWC. You should avoid the coffee thread.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Saint Darwin posted:

There's nothing wrong with chili that is just a mild burn instead of HOLY GOD MY MOUTH IS ON FIRE. Chili with zero heat is a bit weird for sure.

Hi, welcome to GWC. You should avoid the coffee thread.

None of the peppers being discussed are really above "mild burn". Unless you like cumin a whole lot what other flavor is going to be at the forefront if you knock things back to like bell pepper levels?

And the coffee thread is nuts, I believe I was driven out over doubting the need for a burr grinder as a casual coffee drinker. However now that Grav is into guns I can give him poo poo for not measuring the rim thickness of very round of .22lr individually in order to get the best accuracy.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Yeah I don't understand all the "mild chili" or "corn" or "vegetable" or "bean" hate. If it's not up to your exacting chili standards, just call it a "chili-inspired stew not to my standards."

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

bunnielab posted:

None of the peppers being discussed are really above "mild burn". Unless you like cumin a whole lot what other flavor is going to be at the forefront if you knock things back to like bell pepper levels?

There was habanero discussion earlier. That is certainly above mild burn.

Also isn't Grav probated for months?

...and to be fair, burr grinders do make a noticeable difference :v:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Yeah I don't understand all the "mild chili" or "corn" or "vegetable" or "bean" hate. If it's not up to your exacting chili standards, just call it a "chili-inspired stew not to my standards."

The dilution of the meaning of the word makes it impossible to order it in a restaurant without a lengthy interrogation about what exactly they mean by "chili".

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How much onion and garlic do people find acceptable in their chilli? I tend to use loads of both in beef stew in general since it adds liquid as it cooks down. In chilli it tends to disintegrate after 5 hours cooking.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

If I'm adding garlic, which I don't always do, I don't go overboard. For my last batch, which used just over 5 pounds of meat, I used like 8 or 9 cloves.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Scott Bakula posted:

How much onion and garlic do people find acceptable in their chilli? I tend to use loads of both in beef stew in general since it adds liquid as it cooks down. In chilli it tends to disintegrate after 5 hours cooking.

I use boatloads but I caramelize it all off before adding back my seared meat and liquid. I might add a head or two of garlic for 5lbs meat, and maybe 4 or so onions, but after caramelizing them all off, it's like maybe 2 cups of onions delicious bits that will eventually dissolve into the liquid anyways. cooked garlic is never overpowering.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

mindphlux posted:

I use boatloads but I caramelize it all off before adding back my seared meat and liquid. I might add a head or two of garlic for 5lbs meat, and maybe 4 or so onions, but after caramelizing them all off, it's like maybe 2 cups of onions delicious bits that will eventually dissolve into the liquid anyways. cooked garlic is never overpowering.

That is a fantastic friggin idea. I might have to sear a few heads and caramelize some onions for this chili

Oh man

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Doom Rooster posted:

Resurrecting this from my NICSA entry.

Chipotle and Chocolate Chili

I set out recently to find--and perfect to my (and my wife's) tastes--a chili recipe.
I followed this recipe from Doom Rooster very closely to make my first chili, as I felt it had the flavours and spice I'm looking for in an excellent chili.

My chili powder was exceptionally spicy:

Package of dried California peppers
Package of dried New Mexico peppers
Large handful of dried De Arbol peppers
Cumin seeds
a shitton of cayenne
Loads of peppercorns
Smoked Spanish Paprika
Dash South African Smoke (Trader Joe's product.)
Ground garlic, onion
Dash Jamaican Curry powder

All toasted up and ground up until it was just the right hearty quality of grind. When I was toasting the powder in the pan, I almost climaxed. That's not even getting into the smell of seared beef, sausage, and bourbon mingling with garlic and onion.

I got a 3.5 pound chuck and cubed it, and some tasty sage pork sausage. Also like five jalapenos, because I like their fruitiness. My beer of choice to go in the chili was a Magic Hat Heart of Darkness. My beer of choice to go WITH the chili was a Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA.

My wife asked me to tone the spice down. I disagree, and I kind of hate to change it in future incarnations because it's SO FREAKING TASTY. I love how the different chili flavours compliment beefy strings and carmelized sausage chunks... How can I sacrifice spice? :shrug: :supaburn:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Saint Darwin posted:

That is a fantastic friggin idea. I might have to sear a few heads and caramelize some onions for this chili

Oh man

just gonna drop this here :

mindphlux posted:

I just happen to be in the middle of making some chili. I'm making it with turkey, because some people I'm cooking for don't eat red meat, but normally I'd use brisket and short ribs for my chili. the steps are the same. the protein can change. chili is all about building flavor, and quality ingredients - since it's a really simple dish you gotta use good stuff to make good chili. NEVER EVER USE GROUND MEAT. ALWAYS GRILL / SMOKE / BROWN YOUR MEAT.

:siren: :siren: :siren:

My basic procedure MINDPHLUX'S ONE TRUE CHILI WAY goes like this :

1. Make a really really rich stock. 5lbs bones = 1 gal finished stock. I got about 5lbs turkey necks, browned them off under a broiler, and boiled them about 6 hours yesterday, along with aromatics. gonna pick the meat from the bones today and strain off the stock.

2. Season your meat, and light your grill/smoker. Just use a basic rub of your choosing, mine has cumin, some homemade chili powder, garlic, brown sugar, onion powder, black cardamom, fennel, smoked paprika. have about 5lbs of deboned turkey thighs I'm using for my chili, bones went in the stock above.

3. Grill/smoke your meat. I'm smoking my turkey because I don't have access to a charcoal grill in present circumstances. gonna smoke it until crusty, or if you're grilling, grill until deeply browned and crusty.

4. Stew your meat - cook off some onions and garlic. caramelize your onions. then add in your grilled/smoked meat and let it slow cook for ~4-8 hours. your stock should only barely cover the meat, so it's not too thin once it cooks down. if it's too thin, reduce it.

done!

seasoning is all optional, but keep it minimal. homemade chili powder is of course a must. I like the chipoltes in adobo, gonna add a few of those to mine. if you have a tomato or two lying around, that's probably ok - but none of this ADD A HUGE 64OZ TIN OF TOMATOES. 64 ounces is not ok. 8-12oz is probably ok if you have to add tomatoes. add salt, pepper. I add fish sauce to everything for body, and a splash of msg will find its way in. some people like cocoa, I don't.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I read that and those are great ideas, but my paycheck is a full loving week late (if it even comes today), so I will have about 2 hours to actually do this chili. It's going to be much less than it should be, but that's what happens when your first paycheck comes in lovely paper form.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Chili is as chili does.

Last night:

Before:

During:

After:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Martello posted:

One of my housemates in college did this once. It was loving hilarious. He fell to his knees and needed about ten minutes before he could get back up.

From pages ago, but I had that same experience after handling PureCap without gloves. I just went into the fetal position on the couch for a few hours.

Back to modern times, I'm still trying to decide which meats I am getting. A few pounds of sirloin are ok, maybe some ground since this isn't getting crock potted and won't get weird. The seasoning base is going to be Old Bay because by god I did it right once, I'll figure out what the hell I did again, with chilies of course.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 1, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Made a chili of beef, chipotles in adobo, roasted pobalnos, salt, sugar, whiskey, caramelized onions, garlic, tomatoes, Old Bay, and beef stock. It came out extremely well, the only problem was the roasted pobalnos were basically small land mines, so if you ate anything black (indicating the roasted pepper) you got blasted in the face with heat, but in general it was not bad at all.

The Old Bay and roasted peppers/carmelized onions/chipotles worked REALLY well. Like, shockingly well.

People had come with "award wining" recipes (not saying they had not, just saying that is how they were branded) all said "Holy crap Darwin yours is incredible," so I guess I did something right. Next time I am going to put the peppers in a processor instead of hand chopping to try to smooth out the heat. The heat on the meat and such was a very pleasant burn.

I seriously will have to make this again, it's a bit of a production what with the onions and the peppers but it was great.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 2, 2013

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

fuckpot posted:

In Australia all I can get are standard long red, long green, jalapeņos and if I am exceedingly lucky habaneros...I can only go by reputation as they are also unavailable in Australia but I hear the chipotles in adobo sauce are unreal so whack them in for sure.

If you can get jalapeņos and have access to a smoker, you can make your own chipotles. Might be cheaper than ordering them from the internet.

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Made some basic guajillo/ancho chili w/ chuck roast. Came out a lot better than I expected. Different by far from our normal "midwestern" chili here...but a definite difference.

Now eating it for 8 meals in a row? Talk about butthole burn...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

sfwarlock posted:

Chili is as chili does.

Last night:

Before:

During:

After:

sorry :(

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

I believe that he is referring to you accidentally posting your Beef with Vegetable Soup in the chili thread, instead of the "What did you cook last night" thread.