Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Anatharon posted:

When I was in Oarai a few weeks ago ads for this show were everywhere and I can't help but be curious now., Is it interesting enough to bother watching as a person who typically doesn't watch anime?

Honestly, probably not. It's a fun show, but lacking in substance, and the characterization is a bit on the moeblob side. You should definitely watch it if you're a big fan of tank battles or sports stories, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Anatharon posted:

When I was in Oarai a few weeks ago ads for this show were everywhere and I can't help but be curious now., Is it interesting enough to bother watching as a person who typically doesn't watch anime?

It's decent enough in its own right, but even as a general fan of anime I have to admit this isn't the most outstanding one out there and may not interest you as much as some of the better quality ones out there. Still, give it the 2-3 episode shot, if you'd like.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

EdEddnEddy posted:

I have to ask though, what's the main girls obsession with injured teddy bears about?

Moe PTSD.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah. Pretty sure we saw her go catatonic a bit in the first episode.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Anatharon posted:

If you're curious just watch it, it's a show about girls and tanks. You decide whether you're interested or not.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Episode four is when the series hits its stride. If you don’t like episode four, stop watching.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
An unsubtitled preview of the 2nd OVA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4NpHn8rOjI

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Someone made a cake of the Stug in the show.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/02/13-1/fan-creates-tank-from-girls-und-panzer-made-of-cake

Borsche
Jun 6, 2011

by T. Finninho
This looks like the biggest fan service piece of crap I've ever seen.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Borsche posted:

It's not though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's actually a cunningly disguised sports show.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Borsche posted:

Clearly you have not seen enough anime.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
It's official: Episode 11 will air on March 18th.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/02/14-1/video-girls-und-panzer-episode-11-preview

quote:

Meanwhile, the GnP Akihabara Valentine's chocolate giveaway was such a mob scene that it got shut down early due to safety concerns.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

That's a lotta dudes.

Also, when's the OVA due again?

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Arbite posted:

That's a lotta dudes.

Also, when's the OVA due again?

The first one's already out, the second will likely come out after they finally air episodes 11 and 12.

If you wanted confirmation a lot of lonely Japanese dudes watch this show, you cannot do better than going over capacity for free chocolate on Valentines. drat.

Also, I was expecting better of the first OVA, what with the 'armored bathing suits' comments. Nope, exactly what I predicted. Also, one of them has moved towards gravure idol proportions, despite this set in early highschool. Oh anime. :allears:

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
You're probably not going to like the third OVA- it's called "Hot Springs War," and it seems like more generic moe stuff. Here's a preview image:

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
If making the OVAs be 100% fan service allowed for the regular episodes to be relatively fan service free then I'm okay with that.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The first OVA was pretty lovely. I won't give the second one the benefit of doubt.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/02/13/girls-und-panzer-official-illustration-contest-begins-in-japan

quote:

Tinami.com, a Japanese website dedicated to networking anime and manga creators, is now holding an official illustration contest named "Oarai Girl's High School Art Contest" for the characters and tanks from popular TV anime series Girls und Panzer. The anime voice actresses and staff will chose the winners, and the winning entries will be exhibited at a Spring event "Kairaku Feasta x Girls und Panzer @ Oarai" in Ibaragi on March 24th and the Tinami website later. The illustration must be 1654px X 2339px (A4, 200dpi) size and include the girls and tanks from Girls und Panzer, or one of them. You can submit as many entries as you want. The deadline for entries is March 10th, 2013. You can check the current entries here.

Surprisingly, the most disturbing picture isn't fanservicey at all.

http://www.tinami.com/view/542668

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

It looks like she's foaming at the mouth. :gonk:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

For those of you WoT players.. I bring you (Not made by me)...

The Acadmey Warship TOG II*.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
That be a great tank to show in the anime, if I remember right the TOG II didn't feature any sort of suspension system, the road wheels were mounted directly to the body. I could be wrong though, they might of tried that in the TOG I only and changed it for the TOG II.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:stare:

Well, it's about time horribly drawn/disturbing fan art showed up. Tempers the cavity-inducing fanservice of the OVA's. Speaking of which, at least the third OVA isn't another beach episode. Looks like a fall festival type deal, generic as hell but mercifully tame.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Just started watching this series and I already think the boy spin off should be about battleship combat :black101:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bad Moon posted:

Just started watching this series and I already think the boy spin off should be about battleship combat :black101:

Nope, it will be about knitting. And with guys so manly they make Kenshiro look like Bella from Twilight. They'll talk about things like cross-stitching and how cool Rocky (which was a movie about an aspiring ballet dancer) was.

kazakirinyancat
Sep 8, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Nope, it will be about knitting. And with guys so manly they make Kenshiro look like Bella from Twilight. They'll talk about things like cross-stitching and how cool Rocky (which was a movie about an aspiring ballet dancer) was.

That sounds like a lost episode of Cromartie High.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bad Moon posted:

Nah man, it should be airplanes. More potential for 1 on 1 dogfights, more diversity in planes (as far as I know, ships kinda all look the same to me), there's a poo poo ton of aces for the boy's history club to emulate...

Also you could just adapt that concept to a whole lot of genres : hot blooded action, reverse harem (just throw in a transfer student as their, I dunno, manager), yaoi, cute boys doing cute things (is there even a market for girl otakus who like moe?)...

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

WitchFetish posted:

Nah man, it should be airplanes. More potential for 1 on 1 dogfights, more diversity in planes (as far as I know, ships kinda all look the same to me), there's a poo poo ton of aces for the boy's history club to emulate...

As long as they're all wearing pants.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Command Ant posted:

Strike Witches but with buff adult men running around without pants and with bare midriffs would be hilarious.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Isn't that basically JoJo's Bizarre Adventure?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
The second OVA doesn't seem to have made it onto the internet yet, but I've seen some stills on tumblr, and if you didn't like the last OVA, you probably really aren't going to like the next one. I would be very happy if I never had to see another naked apron in an anime again.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
Just saw this pop up on CR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCLlIwDDo2s

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

The Monkey Man posted:

The second OVA doesn't seem to have made it onto the internet yet, but I've seen some stills on tumblr, and if you didn't like the last OVA, you probably really aren't going to like the next one. I would be very happy if I never had to see another naked apron in an anime again.

It's never enough that they put prepubescent girls in bikini's in OVA's for an anime about girls in tanks. The shameful thing is, you can totally get away with this if you go waaaaay over the top with it and crank the crazy meter to 12. I think it was the first OVA from Higurashi that did this, and it was incredibly funny. The last episode of Excel Saga is a good example, too.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Strike Witches but with buff adult men running around without pants and with bare midriffs would be hilarious.

As long as they include the episode where there is panty theft going on and they run around Commando.

Without censorship. (gently caress Strike Witches)

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

I'm happy to see that Monty Python made it to the Japanese.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

The only thing that could have made me happier than this is an MST3K reference.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Amstrad posted:

I'm happy to see that Monty Python made it to the Japanese.

Sometimes I wonder who they are writing this show for. That is a pretty obscure reference even in America. Maybe Monty Python is just super popular over there.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SerCypher posted:

Sometimes I wonder who they are writing this show for. That is a pretty obscure reference even in America. Maybe Monty Python is just super popular over there.

I suspect they're writing it for themselves and we're all along for the insane ride.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

I suspect they're writing it for themselves and we're all along for the insane ride.

I prefer this insane ride to the one in the Candy Factory, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.

Command Ant posted:

They will be only wearing pants. It will be about shirtless young boys dog fighting in wwii era planes.

This is beautiful, but just how many people will actually get this reference?

• Locked thread