Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

buffering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

hehe classic man, classic

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Install Gentoo posted:

i remember converting things to Smacker format video edit them into vidya games. made by the same company as Bink, but earlier, and it supported only 256 colors + transparency but you could have a completely different palette of colors on each frame.

so, an animated gif?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Wheany posted:

so, an animated gif?
Anigifs can't change palette every frame.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

yes they can

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wheany posted:

so, an animated gif?

an animated gif except with actual inter-frame compression and sound support

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

except broadcast is like 15-20mbps and game discs are lucky if they are 6 or 7mbps.

Also it's like mpeg-2 where it does good in some things and worse in others.

Full motion video with grain is one of the things it does worse in. Anything high motion is worse.

Most broadcast I've seen was 10-15 mbps. 6-7 mbps is DVD rate so good enough :v:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

pagancow posted:

except broadcast is like 15-20mbps and game discs are lucky if they are 6 or 7mbps.

Also it's like mpeg-2 where it does good in some things and worse in others.

Full motion video with grain is one of the things it does worse in. Anything high motion is worse.

what kind of utopia broadcasts at that high a quality?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

what sort of tv tuner do you have and exactly how terrible is it

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

merica

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

https://vimeo.com/55098112

Frenchman wants to be in his Ferrarri in America in the 1980s.

I could tell you about all this 80s film grain crap that you can’t even see because lol compression, but song is cool

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

pagancow posted:

I could tell you about all this 80s film grain crap that you can’t even see because lol compression, but song is cool

kavinsky owns

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

2-color video rendered with swapping character sets in megazeux

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

kavinsky owns

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
.viv supremacy

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

wow, way to barely outdrive a pinto nublord

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

People like to complain about Michael Bay, but he knows how to shoot a car chase.

Michael bay should have directed this

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
kavinsky looks like my uncle and that includes looking like they never left high school in the late 80's

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

pagancow posted:

People like to complain about Michael Bay, but he knows how to shoot a car chase.

Michael bay should have directed this

miachel bay is amazing at directing the action scenes that should be 30% of an action movie but he really doesn't understand anything else so he just makes the entire movie an action scene

can you get a director to only direct like half an hour of a movie and then throw him off of the stage

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

i duno, when a whole movie is one big action scene you get this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqENlsPRtqI

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Michael Bay owns unironically.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
did he do any of the transformers because those were awful action sequences

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sweevo posted:

yes they can
They can change colors every frame but they're still limited to the same 256 color palette every frame.

Well you can stack palettes to have more than 256 colors but that's sort of breaking the specification and also that's not changing the palette per frame.

Shaggar posted:

Michael Bay owns unironically.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3507949

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

every frame can have a local palette which takes precedence over the global palette defined at the beginning of the file. local palettes can be up to 256 entries, so you can have a separate 256 colour palette for every frame. its in the spec for both gif87 and gif89

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

gotta go fast

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Shaggar posted:

gotta go fast

i liked the bit where she commented on the car's carb, despite it clearly being fuel injected

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
She is obviously a non-technical woman, so...

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Sweevo posted:

i liked the bit where she commented on the car's carb, despite it clearly being fuel injected

such vapidity

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

i love h.264 becuase quality is high, for a 4:2:0 medium

I hate it because everybody is in codec hell and h.264 doesn't play back right.

quicktime? decoder from 2006 in windows, anything over baseline profile probablly won't run at the correct framerate, and TV -->RGB levels doesn't occur.

VLC? playback is mostly fine, but same thing with the TV -->RGB levels by default, also lol vsync in my video player? whats that?

most people have a codec pack installed becuase "lol we always installed a codec pack!" and now they are in codec hell and its decoding single threaded off the CPU, and anything over 15mbps chokes, becuase LOL WE ALL HAVE LAPTOPS RUNNING AT 1.8GHZ OR SOMETHING YAYYYYY

2013, year of the worst h.264 decoder situation

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pagancow posted:

quicktime? decoder from 2006 in windows, anything over baseline profile probablly won't run at the correct framerate, and TV -->RGB levels doesn't occur.

VLC? playback is mostly fine, but same thing with the TV -->RGB levels by default, also lol vsync in my video player? whats that?

most people have a codec pack installed becuase "lol we always installed a codec pack!" and now they are in codec hell and its decoding single threaded off the CPU, and anything over 15mbps chokes, becuase LOL WE ALL HAVE LAPTOPS RUNNING AT 1.8GHZ OR SOMETHING YAYYYYY

what does my xbox 360 use for h.264. because thats how i watch most h.264 content mostly

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Install Gentoo posted:

what does my xbox 360 use for h.264. because thats how i watch most h.264 content mostly

I'm not sure how the internal decoder for XBOX360 works, but there are some things that go on with the HANA chip (the part that takes the internal RGB framebuffer and convert it to the appropriate format to go out the back of the console)

But Microsoft understands that stuff and black levels are correct unless you're dumb and have set something manually yourself.

.mp4 file will have the video encoded in the 16-235 range, or TV levels. .mp4 files can have the color primaries defined as REC.709 or REC.601. 95% of files will be rec.709, and most decoders ASSUME rec.709 because "lol how do we write a matrix to convert this poo poo???"

The decoder in windows 7 handles this translation properly, I would assume the one in the XBOX does too.

Xbox360 will render the frame at 0-255 or RGB range internally into the framebuffer

HANA chip will output it based off console settings, and type of cable used.

HDMI is the most reliable since there will be some sort of EDID handshake that will occur with the device. This is very accurate unless you bought some $200 Chinese TV. A big portion of TVs will say "I like rec.709, TV levels" and the device will output accordingly.

The TV still has to convert that signal to light wavelengths, and that's usually pretty hosed because the TV default settings will usually be for in-store material, so hope you like crushed blacks/whites + 1 gazillion to one dynamic contrast where the backlight is dimming up and down faster than a 5 year old can break an incandescent lightbulb dimmer switch.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the win 7 and xbox 360 decoders are the same or atleast the same codebase. they will both get the exact same problems with certain malformed files/streams.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

pagancow posted:

netflix and pirated movies play fine for me please explain

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
as long as you haven't installed any codec packs ur fine. win7 and Silverlight both have h264 decoders built in.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Shaggar posted:

as long as you haven't installed any codec packs ur fine. win7 and Silverlight both have h264 decoders built in.

Silverlight in windows packs it's own h.264 decoder for windows 7 instead of using the internal one?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Nomnom Cookie posted:

netflix and pirated movies play fine for me please explain

Actually for a while netflix on X360 was not doing the RGB--TV levels conversion at all and people were PISSED.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

remember when people used to actually use silverlight?

me neither

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

pagancow posted:

Silverlight in windows packs it's own h.264 decoder for windows 7 instead of using the internal one?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pagancow posted:

iirc they did it for security reasons cause lol @ adding security to directshow. its probably the same decoder tho. altho maybe im thinking of IE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

pagancow posted:

most people have a codec pack installed

is that seriously a thing that people still do?

wait, it's because of mkv, isn't it. they download an mkv and it doesn't open in wmp and they install a codec pack instead of vlc of mpc.

• Locked thread