Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
There are two Staples near to where we live. I wasn't aware Staples carried Nexus tablets. Are there other brick and mortar retailers that carry Nexus tablets? I'd like to play with one before purchasing something. I did a quick search for Staples and it looks like they only have 32 gb models in stock for $500.

Edit: I guess we could swing by Staples and see how we like the Nexus 10 and then purchase a 16 GB model directly from Google.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Edit: I guess we could swing by Staples and see how we like the Nexus 10 and then purchase a 16 GB model directly from Google.

This is what I ended up doing. I think Walmart also sells them.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

JoeMB posted:

Maybe one day Samsung won't make a god awfully ugly mobile device.
Unlikely, since Apple apparently holds patents on 90 degree angles and the color black

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RVProfootballer posted:

This is what I ended up doing. I think Walmart also sells them.

Retailers only have the 32GB model for $499. The only place to get the 16GB is the Play store for $399 which ends up being close to $450 with tax and shipping.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/24/4023106/hp-slate-7-android-tablet-ships-april

Some details about the new HP Android tablet. Thicker, heavier, and much less battery life than a Nexus 7, for $30 less. But hey, it's got Beats, so, yeah.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Wildtortilla posted:

There are two Staples near to where we live. I wasn't aware Staples carried Nexus tablets. Are there other brick and mortar retailers that carry Nexus tablets? I'd like to play with one before purchasing something. I did a quick search for Staples and it looks like they only have 32 gb models in stock for $500.

I bought mine Staples but they didn't have it on display.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Retailers only have the 32GB model for $499. The only place to get the 16GB is the Play store for $399 which ends up being close to $450 with tax and shipping.

I know, that was two separate statements, despite me mashing them together to make them seem related. He asked about any other places to see one in person before buying direct from Google.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/24/4023106/hp-slate-7-android-tablet-ships-april

Some details about the new HP Android tablet. Thicker, heavier, and much less battery life than a Nexus 7, for $30 less. But hey, it's got Beats, so, yeah.

The two camera's, and memory card slot is pretty cool though. Otherwise this seems like it might be targeting those who are brand new to tablets and just don't need anything that fancy. They want to check e-mail and that's about it. Even then though you could argue that the Nexus 7 is still the better deal, and to just spend the extra money.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I said come in! posted:

The two camera's, and memory card slot is pretty cool though. Otherwise this seems like it might be targeting those who are brand new to tablets and just don't need anything that fancy. They want to check e-mail and that's about it. Even then though you could argue that the Nexus 7 is still the better deal, and to just spend the extra money.

Maybe, but their HP rep said it's for "the consumer who really wants an entertainment solution." Quite the entertainment tablet if it could barely stand an afternoon of your kid watching a video, and if you took it on a transcon flight the thing would run out of battery somewhere over the square states.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

Maybe, but their HP rep said it's for "the consumer who really wants an entertainment solution." Quite the entertainment tablet if it could barely stand an afternoon of your kid watching a video, and if you took it on a transcon flight the thing would run out of battery somewhere over the square states.

Ouch, yeah that's the wrong way to market this. Completely inappropriate hardware for that sort of thing.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

As someone said 1. It's a start. 2. It's HP which has tons of giant enterprise contracts. I could see this selling almost 0 to consumers but still having high sales numbers as the HP guys start selling this tablets as add on's to enterprise orders (like oh sure I'll buy a 100 tablets to go with our 1000 laptops we just bought). Maybe they even have an internal price they expect to sell at a discount to certain consumers.

If this was offered for $100 I'd buy one in a heartbeat and maybe that's the price they'll end up at for preferred customers.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

Costco is carrying the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 for $430 right now. My girlfriend and I have been looking for a tablet to buy and share and we are thinking this might be the one. Neither of us care about gaming on a tablet, we have plenty if other alternatives for that. We both use Google Reader and Gmail a ton, could we have two profiles setup to use those services? Other than those two uses and browsing the Internet, I don't see us using it for much else; although we've never had a tablet so who knows what other uses we will find for it. We just want a light weight weight thing with which we can sit on the couch and browse the web without being tethered to our desktops. Does anyone have experience with the Note 10.1?

Since I don't have the Note 10.1, I can't tell you if it supports Multi-User profiles yet. But you can just add both accounts on it, and use it that way. I know gMail can be kept apart, but I don't know if it'll allow / merge accounts for Reader. You could always just disable one with the default reader, and then install gReader or another app that accesses the Reader service.

I've used to the Note 2 and love it; and also have a TF700T ASUS, which with the keyboard is great. If I didn't have the keyboard attachment, I do think I'd prefer the Note 10.1 instead.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That HP tablet doesn't even have GPS. Anyone who doesn't spend the extra $30 for a Nexus 7 is a moron.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/24/nvidia-tegra-4-benchmarked/

God. drat. And they're saying lower power consumption too? I can't wait for Tegra 4.

fookolt fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 24, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

fookolt posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/24/nvidia-tegra-4-benchmarked/

God. drat. And they're saying lower power consumption too? I can't wait for Tegra 4.
Why does it have poorer graphics performance compared to the Tegra 3?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Why does it have poorer graphics performance compared to the Tegra 3?

That's a really good question; Engadget just updated their article:

quote:

Update: We decided to remove Tegra 4's GLBench score (57 fps) from the comparison table because the older tablets listed there were benchmarked using a different version of that test. Suffice to say, though, NVIDIA says a score of 57 fps in that benchmark is typical for a Tegra 4 device.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

fookolt posted:

The TF700, with the dock that also works as a battery, is basically my ideal tablet. I'm just waiting for an updated version with a Tegra 4 and an even higher resolution screen.

Up to you of course, you know when or why you need one, but I wouldn't wait just for the sake of waiting for the next one - there will always be a next one. The screen on this is excellent already - the Nexus 10 may be even higher resolution but Android has a long way to go before it's app ecosystem really takes advantage of either screen.

I have Nova Launcher, bought for my N7, and it works really well on this thing. Makes for a much smoother experience plus I like the different ways I can tweak it. I dunno, it's got fantastic battery life, it looks great, it's speedy enough to do anything you want to do with one of these things, why wait if it's on sale?

Every review/preview I've read of the Tegra 4 in the last few days points to it being a long wait to production - we're probably looking at late summer before we see tablets using it.

It does benchmark really well though. Hopefully in a year or so we'll start to see more apps that can actually take advantage of it. There's barely any that stress the Tegra 3 now as it is.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Ixian posted:

Every review/preview I've read of the Tegra 4 in the last few days points to it being a long wait to production - we're probably looking at late summer before we see tablets using it.

Asus is especially not great at product launches.

The TF201 was announced at AsiaD in Oct. 2011, then "officially" revealed in Nov. It started shipping the end of December but in such limited quantities that most retailers couldn't stock it until late jan/feb of 2012.

The TF700 was shown at CES 12 in Jan. 12 (much to the delight of everyone just getting 201's) but wasn't available until june/july 12.

At best you're looking at 3 months from announce to retail, worst case- 5 to 6.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Stick100 posted:

As someone said 1. It's a start.
It's a bad start.

quote:

2. It's HP which has tons of giant enterprise contracts. I could see this selling almost 0 to consumers but still having high sales numbers as the HP guys start selling this tablets as add on's to enterprise orders (like oh sure I'll buy a 100 tablets to go with our 1000 laptops we just bought).
I imagine anyone wanting this for business is going to want something resembling reasonable battery life, which this doesn't have.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Stick100 posted:

As someone said 1. It's a start. 2. It's HP which has tons of giant enterprise contracts. I could see this selling almost 0 to consumers but still having high sales numbers as the HP guys start selling this tablets as add on's to enterprise orders (like oh sure I'll buy a 100 tablets to go with our 1000 laptops we just bought). Maybe they even have an internal price they expect to sell at a discount to certain consumers.

If this was offered for $100 I'd buy one in a heartbeat and maybe that's the price they'll end up at for preferred customers.

You're describing a loss-leader strategy of sorts for Enterprise which I don't think is what HP has in mind - they've clearly stated they are aiming straight for the consumer market with these.

The problem is exactly what it appears to be - HP is a gigantic corporation with a massive bureaucracy that makes true innovation extremely difficult. I bet this thing looked great when they started work on it but it takes them so long to actually get a product to release that by the time it hits you end up with....well, this.

An extremely underwhelming 7 inch tablet that has none of the catered ecosystem advantages of the Kindle line (hey, tons of people do think of that as an advantage) and can't compete with the N7 except on price, which will soon be meaningless as the N7 will either drop or get a spec bump by the time the HP tablet is available for sale.

There's nothing *wrong* with it per se, it just screams "me too" in a crowded field. Leveraging the Enterprise channel is not going to save it, nor will price wars. Maybe if it were $99 but then it'd truly be a loss-leader in every sense.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Ixian posted:

Up to you of course, you know when or why you need one, but I wouldn't wait just for the sake of waiting for the next one - there will always be a next one. The screen on this is excellent already - the Nexus 10 may be even higher resolution but Android has a long way to go before it's app ecosystem really takes advantage of either screen.

I have Nova Launcher, bought for my N7, and it works really well on this thing. Makes for a much smoother experience plus I like the different ways I can tweak it. I dunno, it's got fantastic battery life, it looks great, it's speedy enough to do anything you want to do with one of these things, why wait if it's on sale?

It does benchmark really well though. Hopefully in a year or so we'll start to see more apps that can actually take advantage of it. There's barely any that stress the Tegra 3 now as it is.

Yeah, I was really thinking of getting a TF700 Infinity even before all this news about the Tegra 4 came out, but I think I'm just going to hold off and wait :)

I already have a Nexus 7 so it's not like I desperately need it. I just want something in the 10" form factor for when I need to do work (and I might just get an ultrabook/rMBP anyway).

I've also heard nonstop reports about the I/O issues with the Infinity so that's another thing that has got me waiting on the next Transformer.

fookolt fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 25, 2013

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
I've been traveling with mine for a week now and I'm not sure if the I/O reports are an actual thing or just spec raging. I found just about all of my issues with lagging or otherwise slow to respond UI elements went away when I switched to Nova Launcher - there's really nothing about it that I find annoying compared to my Nexus 7 in daily use. I've been using 3 email accounts, Polaris office, XBMC, Plex, and a couple games (Need for Speed, Angry Birds) plus the usual stuff like Dropbox, etc, plus standard settings stuff like constantly switching to different airport/hotel wireless networks, and it's been just fine. If you want one, get one - it'll be months until Tegra 4 appears (if indeed Asus goes that route) and it'll be more expensive at that.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to tether my N10 to my phone with PdaNet, but my N10 just drops on connecting and tells me it "avoided poor internet connection." I want it to connect anyway but I can't find a setting for it. I tried unchecking Wi-Fi optimization but that didn't do it. Is there a way to force it?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Ixian posted:

Maybe if it were $99 but then it'd truly be a loss-leader in every sense.

Are you so sure at $99 this would be a loss leader? It's got Kindle Fire non-hd type specs or worse and that product debuted at $160 almost 4 months ago. If this product takes another couple months to make it to market it might be possible to price it at $99 at a break even price. Then they could offer it as a $99 add on to enterprise or consumer laptop sales.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Stick100 posted:

As someone said 1. It's a start. 2. It's HP which has tons of giant enterprise contracts.
Except enterprise IT (and more importantly, Execs) give no fucks about any tablet that is not named iPad.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Stick100 posted:

Are you so sure at $99 this would be a loss leader? It's got Kindle Fire non-hd type specs or worse and that product debuted at $160 almost 4 months ago. If this product takes another couple months to make it to market it might be possible to price it at $99 at a break even price. Then they could offer it as a $99 add on to enterprise or consumer laptop sales.

I'm not sure of anything, all just random internet speculation on my part. I have no knowledge of their supply chain, but I do know that even if they could squeak a profit at $99 it's irrelevant to the discussion, because they are not selling it for that, they are selling it for $169. Launching at that and then dropping soon thereafter to $99 would be a terrible marketing strategy. Selling it to for $99 only to special corporate customers, should they even consider it, would be an equally terrible strategy. There's no win in either scenario for them.

My gut instinct remains the same - this looks like a poor, me-too launch of a tablet by HP, a company with a disastrous track record the past several years. They are competing with Amazon on specs and price but without Amazon's catered ecosystem/interface, which, while not especially appreciated by the tech-savvy, hack-my-tablet crowd is extraordinarily popular with the general public. It's a poor man's N7, lower quality and lower price, without even the promise of up to the minute OS updates. Also, though I haven't seen the details, I don't believe for a minute that HP isn't going to load crapware of some sort on there and try and leverage some imaginary walled, HP-centric garden out of it, which will also be a disaster. They aren't selling a 7 inch tablet for under $200 to make a profit on the hardware, any more than Google or Amazon is.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

So given a choice between a Nexus 7 and a Galaxy Tab 2 7", is there any particular reason to pick one over the other? I ask this as someone who doesn't mind TouchWiz, at least as it exists on the Galaxy S III. How painful is it to use a tablet this size as a comic reader?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I used both the Galaxy Tab 2 7 and the Nexus 7, and the Nexus 7 smokes it in resolution and performance hands down. The principal advantage of the Tab 2 7 is the expandable memory card slot, but that didn't cut it for me.

Also, the touchscreen on the Tab was pretty bad.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

So given a choice between a Nexus 7 and a Galaxy Tab 2 7", is there any particular reason to pick one over the other? I ask this as someone who doesn't mind TouchWiz, at least as it exists on the Galaxy S III. How painful is it to use a tablet this size as a comic reader?

There's no reason to get a Galaxy Tab 2 unless you absolutely, positively need microSD. In every other way the Nexus 7 is a far better device.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

sethsez posted:

There's no reason to get a Galaxy Tab 2 unless you absolutely, positively need microSD. In every other way the Nexus 7 is a far better device.

I used to be that guy. Then I got five USB OTG cables for $1.25 and a $5.00 microSD reader and stopped being that guy.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Splizwarf posted:

I used to be that guy. Then I got five USB OTG cables for $1.25 and a $5.00 microSD reader and stopped being that guy.

I'm too lazy to read up on this. How do I become this guy? Do I have to root?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
No, there's an app on the Google Play store - Nexus Media Importer (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer&hl=en) - for $2.99 that works without root and is very popular. There are a couple free solutions like Stickmount but those do require root.

Either way, it was my go-to movie storage method until I got the TF700 with dock which supports USB hard drives in addition to other media.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
The stock S3 has this natively, and I guess whatever CM7 version my Nook's running has it natively too. I thought the N7 did, but I guess not. Either way, yeah. There's lots of apps for it, some might even be good.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Has anyone had any problems with the speakers on their nexus 7? Mine get really broken up and crackly sometimes if I haven't used it in a while, but rebooting the thing works. I've only had it since Christmas, and it's only just started doing it.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Ixian posted:

I'm not sure of anything, all just random internet speculation on my part. I have no knowledge of their supply chain, but I do know that even if they could squeak a profit at $99 it's irrelevant to the discussion, because they are not selling it for that, they are selling it for $169.

My gut instinct remains the same - this looks like a poor, me-too launch of a tablet by HP, a company with a disastrous track record the past several years. They are competing with Amazon on specs and price but without Amazon's catered ecosystem/interface, which, while not especially appreciated by the tech-savvy, hack-my-tablet crowd is extraordinarily popular with the general public. It's a poor man's N7, lower quality and lower price

Yeah you're right, I guess I was just trying to think of a way HP wasn't being silly. As a direct to consumer play this is a disaster, but you'd be amazed at was enterprise sales guys can do, they might still sell through a small but decent number of these devices (couple 100k) mostly to enterprise customers.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

Has anyone had any problems with the speakers on their nexus 7? Mine get really broken up and crackly sometimes if I haven't used it in a while, but rebooting the thing works. I've only had it since Christmas, and it's only just started doing it.

I got a N7 3G in December and it started doing this after a couple of weeks. Rebooting would usually (but not always) fix it. It would start again if I turned the volume up too much, or sometimes just randomly.

I called Google and explained the problem and they immediately RMAed it without asking me to check anything. So I assume it's a hardware problem with some units. If you bought it from Google, just call them and they'll cross-ship you another, I had mine within two days.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Tunga posted:

I got a N7 3G in December and it started doing this after a couple of weeks. Rebooting would usually (but not always) fix it. It would start again if I turned the volume up too much, or sometimes just randomly.

I called Google and explained the problem and they immediately RMAed it without asking me to check anything. So I assume it's a hardware problem with some units. If you bought it from Google, just call them and they'll cross-ship you another, I had mine within two days.

I got it as a gift, so I'll have to see where it came from, but I'll look into RMAing it I guess.

Its weird, because when I first used it today it was happening, but I just left it, and now it's back to normal.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Ixian posted:

No, there's an app on the Google Play store - Nexus Media Importer (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer&hl=en) - for $2.99 that works without root and is very popular. There are a couple free solutions like Stickmount but those do require root.

Either way, it was my go-to movie storage method until I got the TF700 with dock which supports USB hard drives in addition to other media.

Cool, thanks. I saw the importer apps, but they are all fairly expensive to just randomly give a shot. I'll try this one out.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
If you're thinking of getting a Nexus 7 case, stay the hell away from treegloo.

I ordered my case from them in September last year. As I've already got a lovely case I didn't really hassle them about a late delivery for the first few months. From about December I emailed them every three weeks or so, each time getting a form-letter excuse as to why they're so poo poo (reasons included hurricanes, their magic glue not setting properly in the heat, Christmas rush, etc). As of a few weeks ago they've stopped responding to emails completely.

Terrible, terrible company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I still need to get a case for mine, I've been playing with fire by carrying it around a university campus in just a backpack. If nothing else I can confirm how durable and well designed these things are. There are no scratches on the screen either.