Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

That last panel is let_me_tell_you_about_homestuck.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
You fools clearly haven't seen through Hussie's ulterior motive here.

The fatterbigger of a wedge he can drive between Vriska and the audience, the more of her he can keep for himself.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Didn't Hussie say there would be no updates from tomorrow for a week? That could just mean we will be ob this panel for quite spme time unless he will dump a whole heap of areanastorytime.txt on us!

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Look at Serket Duece, all not appreciating a good story.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
YES, storytime with Aranea. Always the best. :allears:

Wait... wait, where's everybody going?

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

All this newborn Vriska-chat got me to thinking about why some people defend Vriska while hating Caliborn, even though they are both horrible people. I think it's because they are both, personality wise, "Bad Kids". But they're "Bad Kids" from two different groups definitions.

Vriska is what a "Bad Kid" would be if described by another child. She is a schoolyard bully turned up to 11. This inherent childishness in everything she does softens her. I mean everything she does to Tavros is a twisted version of a girl picking on a guy she likes!

Caliborn on the other hand is a "Bad Kid" from an adults perspective. He is what every adult dreads their child becoming. He's the weird kid who sets cats on fire, and everyone knows will end up in prison. He's a psychotic, evil, monster. You will never meet someone who acts like Vriska, but you can meet people that act like Caliborn. Those people generally end up on death row in a maximum security prison.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Don't forget the question of intention, Wapole. Vriska usually seems to mean well, doing sometimes-stupid, sometimes-awesome things to protect her friends or fight a bigger evil. Caliborn acts the way he does because he wants to. There was nothing (other than narrative causality) stopping him from leading a peaceful life / having a two-player session with his sister.

Let's look at Vriska and Caliborn killing:

Vriska killed Tavros in a moment of passion, and felt regret afterwards. Sure, she admits she could have spared him, but she didn't seek him out. If he hadn't attacked her, the conflict would not have happened. She also apologized to him the next time she saw him. She also had a very "us vs them" mentality that really messed with her head when she broke it.

Caliborn killed Calliope with a long-term gambit. He hired a hitman, acquired tools ahead of time (the roboleg), and was willing to sacrifice to get the job done. Calliope was hoping for a two-player session, and they could have gotten separate bodies by just having the regular body die and going to the dreamselves. There was no reason to kill her, except he wanted to. After he killed her, he's continued to hunt down her ghost so he can kill her again, for no clear reason other than he wants to.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Oh man, it's always fun to see Vriskachat live. :allears:

Dolash posted:

This whole scene could really be improved in dramatic terms if, when it turns out Vriska's been played and all she's managed to do is feed Lord English thousands of souls, there's actually some sort of consequence. Like people are pissed with her, or she feels regret, or anything that would make this whole weird turn mean something in character development/relationship terms. Remember when Aradia haunted Vriska with the ghosts of her victims? Prime callback material.
It just occurred to me that maybe, just maybe, Vriska is well aware that this is a trap that will lead to Lord English's predetermined influence on their game sessions (circumstantial simultaneity, people!). Just like with Bec Noir, she is most likely interweaving her personal influence--ensconcing her own personal mythology in this Homeric legend, one might say--into the creation of the most powerful adversary two universes have ever known. Most likely so that she can fight him and beat him. Because she is Vriska.

Basically, I am going to bet my bottom loving dollar that "Vriska Did It™" is going to happen. Again.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Edit: ^^^ Last time Vriska did that Tavros got mad enough to attempt to kill her, even knowing it was hopeless. It'll be sort of disappointing if the takeaway lesson from that ends up being "Hey just let Vriska do whatever she wants to people, it's for the best."

Not knowing what happens to someone who double-dies is pretty much the same as not knowing what happens to someone who dies, so Vriska getting all these souls mulched is pretty much no different. If they know they haven't indicated as such in any way, and working backwards to say that they have to know otherwise what they're doing is too evil is setting yourself up for disappointment, I suspect. We can't even say for sure there is an afterlife after this, or that being destroyed by Lord English sends you there, since the Sprites only prove they can pull people from the dream bubbles and make copies of people who aren't there.

Also, while Homestuck is full of mass murder and huge-scale death, part of the point is that it's been entirely outside of the players' control. They're at most passive, accidental enablers of things like Sburb destroying their homeworld. Vriska here is actively committing mass-murder in order to accomplish her own nebulously-defined goals, in full plain view of John. It was one thing for John to hear the world was destroyed by asteroids he couldn't do anything about, it's another for him to stand and watch a fleet of ship filled with people get rainbow-lasered to death while Vriska holds them in place.

Aranea's little spiel about how different species have different moral standards better not be a play for "accept these actions because cultural relativism", because I'm pretty sure non-consensual soul-destroying is outside the bounds of reasonable cultural tolerance.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 27, 2013

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Really I'm more annoyed by Tavros being an even more passive-aggressive little poo poo than any of the Vriska stuff. As someone else said, he's become Gollem. It's sad to see, and yet seems perfectly logical because he never developed a real sense of self-esteem before dying.

It's perfectly balanced by all the Moby Dick jokes. Though didn't Ahab get killed by the whale in the end? Wouldn't be surprised by Meenah getting the other end of the spear instead.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Paracelsus posted:

You fools clearly haven't seen through Hussie's ulterior motive here.

The fatterbigger of a wedge he can drive between Vriska and the audience, the more of her he can keep for himself.

I'd have figured there was more than enough of her to go around... :shrug:

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Roger Explosion posted:

Basically, I am going to bet my bottom loving dollar that "Vriska Did It™" is going to happen. Again.

Dolash posted:

Vriska here is actively committing mass-murder in order to accomplish her own nebulously-defined goals, in full plain view of John.

"'Do it?' John, I'm not an erotic pir8 fanfiction villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my masterstroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its 8come?
I did it 88 minutes ago."
:::: )

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
I fully expect for this cherub exposition to go nowhere and get interrupted by something. Either way it's going to be great!

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Lord of Laughton posted:

I fully expect for this cherub exposition to go nowhere and get interrupted by something. Either way it's going to be great!

The interruption will be the next page. Mark my words.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

lotus circle posted:

Here's a great story for everyone. Once upon a time........Hussie updated Homestuck and left it on a cliffhanger. He then went to Seattle for a whole week and left everyone to suffer. The end.

You realize this month ends after the 28th, right?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

You realize this month ends after the 28th, right?

Sure about that?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Action Shakespeare posted:

Holy poo poo I wish I had money for an avatar right now.
Well, when your cash train comes a choo choo chooing in, it's here waiting for you.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Dolash posted:

It was one thing for John to hear the world was destroyed by asteroids he couldn't do anything about, it's another for him to stand and watch a fleet of ship filled with people get rainbow-lasered to death while Vriska holds them in place.

Is there anything indicating that this is actually taking place? Don't get me wrong I'm assuming that this is basically what she's doing as well, but when I read the pages I only see references to them being 'ready to lay down their ghost lives for a worthy cause' and various ambiguous mentions of sacrifice, while all they actually say outright is that they're using them to attract his attention.

I think though it is a reasonable assumption given that LE probably isn't blowing up empty dream bubbles to fill out that map.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Nephthys posted:

Is there anything indicating that this is actually taking place? Don't get me wrong I'm assuming that this is basically what she's doing as well, but when I read the pages I only see references to them being 'ready to lay down their ghost lives for a worthy cause' and various ambiguous mentions of sacrifice, while all they actually say outright is that they're using them to attract his attention.

I think though it is a reasonable assumption given that LE probably isn't blowing up empty dream bubbles to fill out that map.

quote:

VRISKA: So for now they're sailing well ahead of us in large num8ers to attract his attention, so he can do more damage to the ring and fill out the rest of our maps.
VRISKA: We should 8e very gr8teful for their 8ravery. They are making a no8le sacrifice for us all.

"Doing more damage to the ring" means destroying more dream bubbles and more ghosts. She's using them to attract his attention so he can blow them up and reveal more parts of the map. She doesn't outright say it, but that's because she's trying to sugarcoat it. Like how she didn't even want to mention mind control involved until Tavros noted it.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I love Serket story time. :allears: Can anyone avatar-size that great panel of Aranea for me? I want to change my avatar sometime this week.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Grrl Anachronism posted:

I love Serket story time. :allears: Can anyone avatar-size that great panel of Aranea for me? I want to change my avatar sometime this week.
With background, without background, flipped, or not flipped?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Flipped without background would be best I think. Thanks!

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Would it be alright if I used your Aradia avatar after that? :)

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Blackfish posted:

Would it be alright if I used your Aradia avatar after that? :)

Sure, no problem!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but her glasses turn to absolute poo poo whenever I try to reduce the image's resolution to the necessary 125 pixels. Reducing an image by 4 times doesn't work so well on something that's originally 1 pixel in size. I'm not sure you'll want this.

Edit: It's definitely something that could be drawn in and fixed manually, but I don't have the time. Go into MSPaint and do it. ;)

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

Bobulus posted:

Caliborn killed Calliope with a long-term gambit. He hired a hitman, acquired tools ahead of time (the roboleg), and was willing to sacrifice to get the job done. Calliope was hoping for a two-player session, and they could have gotten separate bodies by just having the regular body die and going to the dreamselves. There was no reason to kill her, except he wanted to. After he killed her, he's continued to hunt down her ghost so he can kill her again, for no clear reason other than he wants to.

Where did you read that? Calliope told Roxy that she hoped that cooperating with Caliborn in a two player session would maybe make him more open to the idea of letting their opposing personalities meld together once he became the dominant mind in their shared body (which she believed to be inevitable).

Caliborn and Calliope are clearly meant to represent Yang and Yin (the most obvious piece of evidence to support that theory is the color of their tongues). I guess that's why I've never found Caliborn to be all that offensive, he literally embodies the most extreme form of male aggression possible.

I find Vriska's innate awfulness to be incredibly entertaining. Even when she tries to do the right thing, she goes about it in the worst way imaginable. :allears:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

No.44 posted:

I find Vriska's innate awfulness to be incredibly entertaining. Even when she tries to do the right thing, she goes about it in the worst way imaginable. :allears:

She's basically skating by on Order No. 227 logic at the moment. Yeah, what she's doing is awful, but consider what they're up against. If her plan works, it was a Sad Necessity but the Victory of the Great Patriotic War Will Live On. If it doesn't, lol woops.

Of course it isn't going to work. Because it wouldn't be a Vriska subplot if it didn't end in her loving everything up / getting humiliated roundly.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

DaveKap posted:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but her glasses turn to absolute poo poo whenever I try to reduce the image's resolution to the necessary 125 pixels. Reducing an image by 4 times doesn't work so well on something that's originally 1 pixel in size. I'm not sure you'll want this.

Edit: It's definitely something that could be drawn in and fixed manually, but I don't have the time. Go into MSPaint and do it. ;)

I had time to burn, so here you go, fancy glasses and all!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Plom Bar posted:

Sure about that?

I'm pretty flippin' positive.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

There are zero days after the 28th, which means it ends on the 28th. I realize (now) that that is what you meant, but that was some clumsy syntax.

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

Seoinin posted:

She's basically skating by on Order No. 227 logic at the moment. Yeah, what she's doing is awful, but consider what they're up against. If her plan works, it was a Sad Necessity but the Victory of the Great Patriotic War Will Live On. If it doesn't, lol woops.

Of course it isn't going to work. Because it wouldn't be a Vriska subplot if it didn't end in her loving everything up / getting humiliated roundly.

Oh, I have know doubt that her intentions are good and that she genuinely wants to save her friends. I guess it's like a super-villain deciding to do the right thing for once and save a burning city. The problem is that they use a goddamn freeze ray to put out the fire.

She's so used to coming up with solutions that don't take morality into consideration that she's still completely oblivious to how her decisions impact others.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

She's an alien from an interstellar marauding galactic empire that doesn't take morality into consideration, so that's not hardly surprising.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

DaveKap posted:

RandallODim posted:

I had time to burn, so here you go, fancy glasses and all!

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to resize it and clean it up! I'll be switching as soon as I figure out what text needs to go under it. I'm contemplating taking a hint from earlier in the thread- "Let me tell you a8out Homestuck."

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to resize it and clean it up! I'll be switching as soon as I figure out what text needs to go under it. I'm contemplating taking a hint from earlier in the thread- "Let me tell you a8out Homestuck."
"Let me tell you a8out Homestuck.
This way I get to start over from the 8eginning!"

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Thanks for the help everyone! Blackfish, here's a link to my Aradia avatar so you can use it if you want.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Is it weird that I actually kinda... like Aranea?

I mean, I'm not saying she's my favorite, but I feel like we'd get along if for no other reason than I'm fairly interested in listening to someone wax encyclopaedic about completely insignificant things. Like Cherubs.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's worth mentioning that for all the griping and groaning, Aranea and Vriska and the whole rest of Boat Ghost-Murder are still interesting characters, this development is still quite interesting and characterful and all that. The only fear underlying most of the discussion is whether Hussie will treat these events with the significance they deserve. Any attempt to get Vriska to turn over a new leaf is pretty much done for now, and John's character is in a really bizarre place that'll have to be addressed before the story can end, but so long as Hussie's still got a firm grip on these crazy developments that's fine.

Almost any other author and I'd just assume they'd hosed up and accidentally plunged over the moral event horizon without noticing. Hussie generally knows what he's doing though, so with a bit of luck this whole crazy scene will go from weird and disturbing to well-handled and integrated part of the Homestuck tale soon enough.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Dolash posted:

the whole rest of Boat Ghost-Murder are still interesting characters

Let's not get too wild now, you still have to count Tavros and Sollux in that group.

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Thanks for the help everyone! Blackfish, here's a link to my Aradia avatar so you can use it if you want.

Thanks a bunch! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
The next update will not only be an intermission, it will return on another super detailed zoom in on John's eye.