Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Probably not, but the chance of the characters being made up of self-serving caricatures in order to prop up the makers' personal ideologies would approach 100%.

Which, now that I think about it, is par for the course with SMT storylines already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

How have SMT games never had Jesus as a character? They had the Christian god as a villain so it's not like they're avoiding controversy.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

This is the dumbest. I feel like this whole region issue is ridiculously murky.

Particularly, as I understand it, there are all these really awesome laws about region locking in Australia. I was reading something a few years ago about how it's illegal to produce region locked product down here -- though that doesn't cover imports.

So what y'all need to do is export the console production industry to Australia. Obviously.

Australia doesn't have enough presence to be a major roadblock in most games distribution. There is not enough local development for me to be sure on this but I don't think there are any particularly troublesome laws apart from the classification stuff. In fact for regions we are just lumped in with the major console companies' European branch and are more of an afterthought. I mean I don't know why the hell a European branch would be better equipped to serve us. We have very simple localisation requirements (English only) like the United States. I just wish we got American systems and games. I don't see the downside.

Ehh I just find it absurd that in the days of digital distribution giving near instant access to games that we are still for the most part dealing with delays of several months or even being locked from playing games that are already completed and ready for sale in every sense apart from being processed by this mythical European distribution chain.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

How have SMT games never had Jesus as a character? They had the Christian god as a villain so it's not like they're avoiding controversy.

YHVH is supposedly not a depiction of the Judeo-Christian God, if I'm recalling my developer interviews right. I forget the exact weasel wording.

He is instead supposed to be the "source of gods" in general.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 27, 2013

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
And it's not like the classification laws haven't significantly changed over here either. Hurhm.

Speaking of the Greek Godlies, I'd be invested in seeing Hera take centre stage as a villain. Or Persephone, or any of the other Gods who've got a good reason to be pissed off but for one reason or another just aren't centre stage. They're the cool ones, not Zeus.

Admittedly, this is largely from my problems with Zeus's obsession with... interesting mystical couplings. Golden showers (of coins, but I dunno...) Raping a woman in the guise of a swan!

He's a bit of a weirdo.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Cleretic posted:

I am all on board with the idea of bringing Zeus into the proper series, and he'd be one of the best figures for a conflict of public image vs. actual deeds. Although admittedly, he's a distant second to Jesus, who could also carry that story in a different way. Zeus couldn't be the focus of a Persona game, though; they seem to like focusing on different mythologies, and P3 already handled Greek.

...gently caress, I kept trying to say why a conflict between Real Jesus and Republican Jesus would be a bad Megaten game, but that would be a great game, with perhaps the best possible icons for Law against Chaos. Am I the only one that thinks that?

If SMT's YHVH is any indication, Real Jesus and Republican Jesus are the same thing. Alternatively, it's like two-face Jesus.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

P2 EP's original translation was pretty good so I could understand if they figured that they could use the resources elsewhere and just push the older version to PSN although it would be nice if I could use it on my Vita that looks like it will be doing nothing for the foreseeable future.

Also they just want some of that old fashioned Persona charm of half the game not coming out in this country.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
I guess what I want from the next persona (or SMT considering all the DS ones) antagonist is someone who doesn't just assume it's doing all mankind a favor by destroying it beause we're all super secret nihilists. At least Nyarlathotep was flat out tricking humanity into ending itself because he was our collective id given form ( I haven't played persona 2 in years though, I may be completely wrong about this). Having come out of humanities collective hope that there's always the possibility around the corner, that someway, somehow, the world will stop being so bad in just the tiniest way. I suppose that really works with a works-V-ideal theme, since a lot of those yearnings would be stuff like wishing death on your countries enemies, or 'if only I was in charge' power fantasies. It has a lot of potential to actually FEEL like it's having a global effect too, as the world becomes twisted by everyone's desires. Of course it would probably turn into soap-boxing, but at least it isn't the same LCN alignment crap.

On a general trivia bent, I'm trying to recall if persona 3 ever directly alluded to pandora's box in the actual game. I know a lot of the story on the surface was 'Pandora's box (Pandora is a fat old white guy edition)' but I can't remember if they had a moment like in persona 4 where they actually retell the myth and draw the parralells. I'm making my way through FES slooooowly with my little brother at the moment but it hasn't come up yet and it is really bugging me for some reason.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RentCavalier posted:

If SMT's YHVH is any indication, Real Jesus and Republican Jesus are the same thing. Alternatively, it's like two-face Jesus.

Yeah, that's what was driving it for me. Like, the entire game's conflict would essentially be a battle of ideals of which side of Jesus would be predominant in the new world, or something. It'd also be good for leading to a more modern interpretation of SMT Law Vs. SMT Chaos; let Real Jesus lead the world into a perfect communist utopia, where everyone is treated completely, totally equally. Meanwhile Republican Jesus will be campaigning for corporate gain, praising the Reason of gently caress You Got Mine.

I don't know who the Neutral figure would be in this case, though. Judas?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

'Messiah' was the ultimate Judgement Persona in P3, but he was more of a generic messianic figure, not explicitly Jesus.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Radish posted:

P2 EP's original translation was pretty good

I wouldn't change this for the world :allears:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbE4-MZNjHo

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Cleretic posted:

'Messiah' was the ultimate Judgement Persona in P3, but he was more of a generic messianic figure, not explicitly Jesus.

No, he was pretty much supposed to be Jesus. All the indicators point to that.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and so forth, take the path of least resistance and call it a duck. Or in this case, Duck Jesus.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cleretic posted:

...gently caress, I kept trying to say why a conflict between Real Jesus and Republican Jesus would be a bad Megaten game, but that would be a great game, with perhaps the best possible icons for Law against Chaos. Am I the only one that thinks that?

Depending on which portrayal of Chaos they go for, I could totally see them making biblical Jesus a rail against the injustice of the heavens type character. Doesn't strike me as the type who'd be for getting rid of free will.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Haha I forgot about that part.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cleretic posted:

Hell, even Imagine had a tech-brace. I just assumed it was an SMT tradition.

It's been there from the start, I think Nakajima had one in the original game (dunno about the book).

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

The Divine Orator posted:

Also I am one of those oddballs who likes the new demons, even if one of them is just the main bad guy from shinkenger and Raphael's sprite is the worst thing in the world (even if I like his DESIGN on it's own). The persona games have had plenty of left field re-designs that worked on their own as well. New Archangles, new loki... maybe we'll finally get a non-lovely Odin (and they'll stop using the garbage DS Thor sprite, Jesus that thing is outdated)

They already did a non-lovely Odin way back in 1997 for Soul Hackers. Then proceeded to never use that design again ever.

Getting a PS2 Thor sprite would be great too, but I think the only reason Loki got a sprite update was them deciding he got to be important for Devil Survivor. Maybe if Thor nukes Japan again he can get a new sprite.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

It's been there from the start, I think Nakajima had one in the original game (dunno about the book).

The first two games had the heroes using computers but it's not really specified what they are IIRC. Most of the concept art I've seen for MT1 has Nakajima with a laptop though.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Or Maybe have him as a big ball of weird

Already on it.

Unrelated:
Different stores have DLC for Shin Megami Tensei IV.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 27, 2013

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Well, at least it's not something actively useful like most games with exclusive DLC enjoy doing.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I better be getting an exclusive Gamestop COMP or no buy :colbert:

The Soul Hackers reduced voice acting thing was clarified

atlus posted:

The voicework that was cut was the map NPCs.

The reason we cut that was because the JP version used one voice for every type of person: every man had the same voice, every woman had the same voice. It was pretty ridiculous, since these are definitely not the same person. To save time (and, yes, costs for studio work and actors), and to improve the work as a whole, we took out that bit.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

I really hate the idea, but the 3ds putting Australia a month or two behind the states again has me contemplating the whole American 3ds angle.

When SMT4 comes out I'll be importing a 3DS. Every console/game I get from now on is going to be imported.

jtm33 posted:

I mean I don't know why the hell a European branch would be better equipped to serve us. We have very simple localisation requirements (English only) like the United States. I just wish we got American systems and games. I don't see the downside.

The PAL standard may have become irrelevant 5+ years ago but slapping on a different region encoding and charging $100 for a game is too profitable for publishers to give it up.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Though with Zen's and Atlus' collective bedside manor, I'll be surprised if they don't take a bath on P4A Pal (if it ever gets released).

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Dehry posted:

I better be getting an exclusive Gamestop COMP or no buy :colbert:

The Soul Hackers reduced voice acting thing was clarified

I find this acceptable.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

RentCavalier posted:

I find this acceptable.

Honestly I'm surprised they bothered to voice the overworld-icon-people in the first place. It's not like they have anything of value to say for the most part.

For anyone that already has it, is there any equivalent of the P-Mechie Pocketstation game in the 3DS version? Not that I really enjoyed the Tamagotchi-clone game itself, but using it to break the game by creating ludicrously overpowered demons waaaay higher than your party rank would normally allow never got old.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mailer posted:

When SMT4 comes out I'll be importing a 3DS. Every console/game I get from now on is going to be imported.

I figure I'm going to be buying a 3DS or a WiiU, but not both. I'm finally leaning towards a 3DS because of the collective force of Pokemon and Megaten (although I'll be lamenting not getting SMT X FE), and yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll be importing it.

Although can someone tell me real quickly, is region-locking even a thing on the 3DS? I have a US version of Strange Journey that played just fine on my locally-bought DS Lite, I'd find it surprising and hard to believe if they actually went backwards on that one.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Although can someone tell me real quickly, is region-locking even a thing on the 3DS? I have a US version of Strange Journey that played just fine on my locally-bought DS Lite, I'd find it surprising and hard to believe if they actually went backwards on that one.

Believe it. :(

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yeah, the brick DS and the Lite were both region free, but any later editions and the 3DS are locked.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Genpei Turtle posted:

Honestly I'm surprised they bothered to voice the overworld-icon-people in the first place. It's not like they have anything of value to say for the most part.

For anyone that already has it, is there any equivalent of the P-Mechie Pocketstation game in the 3DS version? Not that I really enjoyed the Tamagotchi-clone game itself, but using it to break the game by creating ludicrously overpowered demons waaaay higher than your party rank would normally allow never got old.

The closest thing it has is the Nemecchi/streetpass stuff.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blhue posted:

Yeah, the brick DS and the Lite were both region free, but any later editions and the 3DS are locked.

DSi was region free, too.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

AlternateNu posted:

DSi was region free, too.

But DSi exclusive content wasn't, if I recall.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Holy poo poo, Devil Survivor Overclocked close to release in Europe!

http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/devil-survivor-overclocked-enters-manufacturing

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Sorry for the double post but I think it's worth it:

Visible Equipment gameplay video SMT IV:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3KasapG9uw&feature=youtu.be

Screenshots

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Atlus keeps making games that let me dress up my characters in goofy hats. I am ok with this.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Kurtofan posted:

Holy poo poo, Devil Survivor Overclocked close to release in Europe!

http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/devil-survivor-overclocked-enters-manufacturing

Now we just have to wait another two/three years for Soul Hackers and SMT IV. Ah well, least it got here eventually.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Sorry for the double post but I think it's worth it:

Well now I just really feel like firing up Imagine again. :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I have died more times to bullshit in the last dungeon than anywhere else in this game. DDS2 was a lot of fun until here.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Clothing that makes you weak to Expel. Shameful.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Len posted:

I have died more times to bullshit in the last dungeon than anywhere else in this game. DDS2 was a lot of fun until here.

It is a slog, make no mistake. Your best bet is to just marathon it as best you can, but don't be afraid to turn away and let the game be for awhile when you get too frustrated.

You may also want to skip the super tough optional bosses...

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
Anguished One and Yamato DeSu2:TA videos released.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Yamato's voice is perfect. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Oh wow, I knew the Anguished One knew Yamato before the game's events, but I didn't think they played Chess when the latter was a child! Actually, it looks like AO's teaching Yamato how to play... Wait, AO knows how to play Chess, but he doesn't know that appearing from nowhere is kind of a freaky thing to see?