Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Low rent youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_A302KFGZA

I'll be going down for round 2 on Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Both holeshots on Sunday! Pics soon.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I'm totally hogging the thread.

Welp, this race they had a very large hill in the extreme section. In moto 1 I was jumping it and getting huge/fun air. In moto 2 I got the holeshot again, but due to a huge rut that formed from the pro class an hour before, I was railing through and got a nice lead on everyone. This time (because I wanted to keep it), I rolled off the throttle on the hill to maximize the speed at the top:

I consequently set the fastest lap of the race at 4:40. Booyah.

EDIT: Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TSvAdb1XgI

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 27, 2013

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Finally got my bike back together and got out riding this weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8--4BTcddQ

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Tooler is fun. Got any footage of going up the switchbacks?

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
After my job interview this weekend and a couple class projects are finished I hope to get my hot start cable changed and the knobbies back on. Last time I went riding was in the dunes towards the end of last summer.

There is a group heading to central Oregon to do some desert riding here in about a month. The plan is to at least make that trip, but I'd like to get a couple rides in beforehand.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Went up to Walker with a few friends, one of which I put on the wife's bike and three of which just got dirt bikes themselves. I got to ride a 300 EXC around for a few and I think I want one. It's takes considerably less effort to do everything on that bike - with its fancy ground clearance and torque - next to my antique. Plus it doesn't scare me like (well... as much as) the YZF450F.

Speaking of which, my friend who got the 450 as his first bike - he's starting it and riding it around now. He even had enough confidence on it to try out Jam and managed to go over the bar for the first time. I thought he was done for the day after that, but he got back on it and went up the upper mainline until it turned to a muddy mess. I guess he went down a tooth on the front which apparently helped out his clutching.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I got my hot start cable changed and the lever/plunger lubed. Then I took my paddle tire off, changed a broken spoke and put the knobby on. However I forgot to baby powder and I must have pinched the tube as a result because now I have a flat.

I noticed my air box had an abundance of sand and found that a rivet had broken through on the seem. So now I have to track down a rivet gun or find some other solution. I hope it didn't dirty up the carb or wear my valves (the titanium valves in these things wear out fast, I'd install stainless if they ever go beyond tolerance).

I started installing my hand guards, but need to pick up a bigger drill bit for the throttle side. I also need to lube the twist throttle since the return is sluggish.

Maintenance is loving horrible on this crf450r compared to the trx450 I had. I need it ready to go for a desert ride at the end of the month.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

It's time to take off the Trelliborgs and reknob the KTM.

Before Saturday's hare scramble I need to:

Install a Pirelli MT-43
Going to try a new Geomax front
Learn to hate Moose Bibs
Install a new plastic body and Graphix (yo)
Install grips
Install my newly blown out expansion chamber and pipe guard
Rejet for temperatures of about 40 degrees F.

and most important, regap my Rekluse.

This race on Saturday is a reintroduction to rocks so when the championship starts in earnest I can perform at least moderately well.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Ramsus posted:

I got my hot start cable changed and the lever/plunger lubed. Then I took my paddle tire off, changed a broken spoke and put the knobby on. However I forgot to baby powder and I must have pinched the tube as a result because now I have a flat.

I noticed my air box had an abundance of sand and found that a rivet had broken through on the seem. So now I have to track down a rivet gun or find some other solution. I hope it didn't dirty up the carb or wear my valves (the titanium valves in these things wear out fast, I'd install stainless if they ever go beyond tolerance).

I started installing my hand guards, but need to pick up a bigger drill bit for the throttle side. I also need to lube the twist throttle since the return is sluggish.

Maintenance is loving horrible on this crf450r compared to the trx450 I had. I need it ready to go for a desert ride at the end of the month.

Which year? I've lusted after a crf450 ever since they came out but I'm scared to death their valves will die a painful death with zero notice. I've heard all the early models had valve problems and even stainless aren't perfect.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

JP Money posted:

Which year? I've lusted after a crf450 ever since they came out but I'm scared to death their valves will die a painful death with zero notice. I've heard all the early models had valve problems and even stainless aren't perfect.

I can confirm a 2009 CRF450X (note the X) model a friend bought new has not needed adjustment so far. He checks yearly. He's not a ripper, but races enduros.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

JP Money posted:

I have a 2005. I haven't checked them at all, but the last time I rode it had the symptoms. This could also be brought on by a dirty carb (or more specifically a dirty pilot jet) or my hot start that was sticking (the likely culprit). I'll know for sure after I finish all the other maintenance and get some non ethanol fuel. I'd check it now, but I don't have a torque wrench that's small enough.

I have a friend with a 2004 that's never had any valve issues and he completely trashes his. Either way they are dirt cheap used since most people seem to buy them, realize they can't use all the power/get hurt and put them up for sale. It's rare that I see a 250 for sale around here. The kibblewhite stainless steal valve conversion runs around $450-550 for a professional install.

Edit: I want a 2009+ though, I'm sick of carbs.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I ran a 2005 450R as a supermoto for a bit over a year and a half mainly on the track and in the mountains. Checked valves and changed the oil likely way more than I needed to (they never moved) but the thing always ran great and made good power for me.

They don't like sustained wide open though, spew oil out the overflow tube then out the carb.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
Just bought myself an '08 YZ250F. First bike I've had in 6 years and I'm loving it. Other than changing the oil and putting in a new air filter this thing looks brand spanking new.

(I just had to ride it when I got home which is why it's now dirty)

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

NitroSpazzz posted:

They don't like sustained wide open though, spew oil out the overflow tube then out the carb.

I never had that happen, but if you idle or go slow the thing will piss coolant constantly.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ramsus posted:

I never had that happen, but if you idle or go slow the thing will piss coolant constantly.

Forgot about the coolant pissing, yeah not designed to sit in traffic or idle. Get on it and as soon as it idles without choke start riding.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Racing the first non-snow championship race on Sunday. Running a trials tire (which I've not done on an endure bike for a long time). Track preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTel-yEES40&hd=1

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Woof, muddy and wide open. I missed the first hare scramble of the year because of work. Missed the second due to being sick bleh. On the mend now I hope and back at it. Enduro this weekend but not sure if I"m going to roll or not, they're talking snow and nasty weather for the whole thing. Even if I did go would probably just ride on Sat then watch on Sun.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Silver posted:

Woof, muddy and wide open.

Hard to tell because the rider is AA, but the track is brutally rocky. I hope to just sit in low RPM 3rd and fourth gear and cheat with my recluse. Super flat and wide though! Low stress, just very fitness oriented.

I'm still planning on rolling thru OK on my way to CO! We'll have to set that up soooon

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Managed to hit a deer on the trials bike yesterday...good news it was at about 15 mph max. Came around a corner and dropped off a small ledge (3ft) and boom deer in the way.

Deer and I fell over. It got up and ran away, I stayed on the ground for a minute or two laughing. No damage to me or the bike but I need to start using my gopro more often.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

VTNewb posted:

Hard to tell because the rider is AA, but the track is brutally rocky. I hope to just sit in low RPM 3rd and fourth gear and cheat with my recluse. Super flat and wide though! Low stress, just very fitness oriented.

I'm still planning on rolling thru OK on my way to CO! We'll have to set that up soooon

Right on, just keep me posted on dates and we'll either ride or do a race depending on when you're coming through. :cheers:

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Picked up an EVS G6 Ballistic Jersey the other day.

I look like Judge Dredd, but I can't really afford to get injured right now.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ramsus posted:

I look like Judge Dredd, but
You make it sound like a bad thing.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I just bit the bullet and bought a Scotts underbar mount & Damper for my 450 XCW. Keep the bars going the right direction at speeds I've never been on a dirt bike before (65+) and keep it stable in SuperMoto trim on road courses through high speed corners.

I called Scotts to ask them a small question about bar position and not only did he know all there was to know about my bike, it rang twice and I got a real person and straight accurate answers.

That made biting the financial bullet a bit easier.

economic haircut
Jul 5, 2008
Drove 1500km to find some dirt for the first ride of spring. Worth it.

economic haircut fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 25, 2013

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

The second championship race was wild. About 200 people on the track. Unfortunately we had 1 death and two mediflights out. The death was a heart attack (not crash related), but the other two folks broke their spines.

I'll post a more complete report later, but below is ~*my girlfriend *~ riding through one of the shallower water holes. The course had 3 airbox level streams to go through, and about 10 more normal ones like in the pic:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Low rent youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLBsBAfsKyk

I love these races because even the AA are crawling around in 2nd.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
That stuff looked sloppy wet. Bummer on the guy that died and the bros who broke their bones. :(

My latest... I might not know what I'm doing, but I'll look like I do.

Riding lately here has been dismal, first race of the season I had work stuff. Next weekend we missed our call on the rain. Next race I caught whatever my wife had and didn't make it. Last weekend was extra cold and nasty. Then today it soaks everything. Easter tomorrow. Going to try to ride this week some and then 3rd round next weekend. Probably should go ride today but it's probably still pretty sloppy even if the sun is out. Meh, decided to be lazy instead.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

That upside down text cracks me up

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It'd to remind him to save it when he goes over the handlebars.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Just finished installing my Acerbis hand guards, replaced a screw that held down the chain guide that was chewed up, lubed my throttle cables and cleaned out the throttle tube.

I still need to fix a flat and change the oil. I haven't started it since August and I'm going desert riding this Friday.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Work is finally slowing down enough that I may be riding dirt again...more than the trials bike in the yard or balance practice inside. Ran around a bit this last weekend and discovered that I need hand guards pretty badly, touchy brakes and small branches/vines/etc are a dangerous combo.

I picked up some small endurance Cycra guards that were in the bargain bin but now I'm thinking I may go with the basic aluminum bar option instead. How do the simple aluminum bar type guards work for single track type riding? Ideally looking for something small and light.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Work is finally slowing down enough that I may be riding dirt again...more than the trials bike in the yard or balance practice inside. Ran around a bit this last weekend and discovered that I need hand guards pretty badly, touchy brakes and small branches/vines/etc are a dangerous combo.

I picked up some small endurance Cycra guards that were in the bargain bin but now I'm thinking I may go with the basic aluminum bar option instead. How do the simple aluminum bar type guards work for single track type riding? Ideally looking for something small and light.

They work well for protecting hands but won't stop you from breaking a finger with a 450 throwing a rock at your hand. They also don't align with the levers so they won't protect them from being grabbed by brush. You need the plastic guards over the aluminum for that.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I can't imagine owning a bike without the full handguard / bar combo for woods riding. No more broken levers from drops, trees are no longer a concern (as much), rocks mostly just bounce off, etc. Well worth the money. Hell even on my supermoto they're awesome just for drop protection (and have built in turn signals to boot.)

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

I ran these over the two year ownership of my YZ250F and loved them. The downsides that VT posted are true, they wont stop rocks/water/brances/vines from brushing or hitting your hands but many many times did I leave major scars on trees and not break fingers. Never had a lever bend or snap in many crashes either.

For my KTM though I'll be getting the sturdy metal bars with plastics guards. If you're going to buy a set, might as well get the plastics too. More coverage is better.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I've got a Honda XLR 250R Baja and have been dipping my toes into a bit of offroading in my area. I enjoy the hell out of it, although I'm still pretty cautious as I don't really know what I'm doing, and haven't gone down yet. I've got a copy of Pro Motocross & Offroad Riding Techniques, which I need to finish reading through.

It's somewhat well set up for offroad riding already, has some Acerbis barkbusters, a skidplate, and one of those frames around the headlights (as well as a mesh grill that I can ziptie on in front of them, but I prefer to leave it off so might lights are more visible at night). Tires definitely seem more biased towards street riding, which to be honest is still what I'm doing 95% of the time. I need to replace the rear pretty soon, does anyone have a recommendation for something that'll do OK offroad, but is still set up for mainly street riding? Also, one of my front turn signals is knocked askew from the PO dropping the bike (on the street). He also hosed up the rear ones, but re-installed new ones that are on semi-flexible stalks. They're also more or less covered by the topcase, which I think would help protect them in a lot of falls. Is it pretty normal to do something similar with the front signals as well? As far as mirrors, is there anything I could do/buy to reduce the likelihood of them breaking off? Or should I just take them off the bike when I'm doing offroading?

A lot of the roads I've found have been pretty rocky, any general tips/precautions there?

Finally, gear. I've been doing it in my normal street gear (Boots: Icon Elsinore's, Pants: Rev'It Airwaves, Jacket: pretty heavy leather Fieldsheer, Gloves: some Rev'it ones, perforated leather, Helmet: Shark Evoline 2). I have a mesh jacket similar to this one, although it's currently on loan to a friend. It's also like a size too small (bought it in Vietnam for a trip a few years ago, was the best I could find after a few days of looking in Hanoi), although not the end of the world. Of this stuff, what should I look at supplementing with some more off-road biased equipment first?

Few pics:

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I rode China Hat this weekend which is 20 miles east of Bend, Or. It was a really nice place. The trails are very well maintained.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Went riding at Walker Valley in the rain and sloppy muddy conditions. Probably ate poo poo more times yesterday than I had cumulatively up until yesterday, super sloppy out there and my DS tires aren't really up for mud but I didn't let that stop me. Sank the engine case in a puddle, almost had my foot taken off by a rock hiding in the same muddy puddle. Fell off at the top of a hill and tumbled rear end over head down the trail while my bike dug itself in at the top.

It was a blast.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It was a great day at Walker yesterday, hardly anyone there and the upper levers were getting fresh snow but there was still lots of traction. Just enough slippery stuff on the ground that you can do gigantic power slides on the fire roads. Jam trail was a bit of a lake, but not nearly as bad as tahuya would get. A lot of the mid level trails were like riding up a small river. Great fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Do you guys live around the Seattle area? I'm in Albany, Or.