Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Took them away because of those videos? Or because of some non-related event?

not for the videos specifically, but for the constant dong-like riding I guess, he was always a big believer in reducing front wheel wear as much as possible. before he emigrated he was well known to our local constabulary as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Maybe because of shorts and T-shirt, ITT the police live the CA hive mind.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Suspended for terrible judgement. Ain't hatin' on wheelies, just the need to do them in the right place and at the right time and all.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Took them away because of those videos? Or because of some non-related event?

I'm sure it's a related event in that you can't do wheelies and drift practically everywhere without someday running afoul of the police.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

echomadman posted:

I think i posted these a while ago, but I heard today that for some reason the australian police hate fun and have taken my buddies bikes away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FhmQk5iOUI
I only got through that first one, but unless that's like a two year compilation video, your "buddy" is kind of an idiot, and a prime example of this is why we can't have nice things.

I am, however, jealous of his lofting skills, if not his ability to keep the bike in his own lane, etc.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

I'm sure it's a related event in that you can't do wheelies and drift practically everywhere without someday running afoul of the police.

This is so painfully true. Cops don't seem to like stoppies/wheelies or backing it in...

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

This is so painfully true. Cops don't seem to like stoppies/wheelies or backing it in...

They also don't like it very much when you make a perfectly safe merge right in front of their bumper while slicing your way through rush hour traffic.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

They also don't like it very much when you make a perfectly safe merge right in front of their bumper while slicing your way through rush hour traffic.

Pretty sure you're not being sarcastic; that's almost exactly what happened to me while I was getting on a highway in Paterson, NJ. Slipped in front of a local cop to make the onramp, as soon as I get on the highway I see the blue lights in my mirrors. My PA registration had expired while I was cruising around Nova Scotia. He called a truck to impound the bike and wrote me a ticket. I spent about 6 hours in the station and a few hundred on the fine and impound fees. The officer was actually a pretty nice guy in the end; I think he felt bad about pulling me over after we got to talking on the ride back to the station and he wanted to hear all about my trip. He let me use his computer to re-register and gave me a ride down to the impound lot himself. Still, basically felt like a powertripping move to me and it confirmed my distaste for New Jersey.

ought ten fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 20, 2013

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

ought ten posted:

Pretty sure you're not being sarcastic; that's almost exactly what happened to me while I was getting on a highway in Paterson, NJ. Slipped in front of a local cop to make the onramp, as soon as I get on the highway I see the blue lights in my mirrors. My PA registration had expired while I was cruising around Nova Scotia. He called a truck to impound the bike and wrote me a ticket. I spent about 6 hours in the station and a few hundred on the fine and impound fees. The officer was actually a pretty nice guy in the end; I think he felt bad about pulling me over after we got to talking on the ride back to the station and he wanted to hear all about my trip. He let me use his computer to re-register and gave me a ride down to the impound lot himself. Still, basically felt like a powertripping move to me and it confirmed my distaste for New Jersey.

Gah. Yeah, similar situation in Philly on 76 with less consequences, the cop was pissed at first but when I apologized and explained that with the size of my vehicle and it's ability to accelerate I could use smaller spaces and create space quicker and therefor I thought I was safe he eased up and let me off. I didn't even have my registration or insurance card on me and he did'nt make an issue of it, just checked to see if I had warrants and sent me on my way.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
my loud pipe saves my life every day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhKEoZoH2W4

I might buy the silencer for the exhaust, it's kind of obnoxious in quiet neighborhoods.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
brap motherfucker indeed

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Just wear earplugs. That way you can't hear it as much. I always surprise myself how loud the SC Project is on my 690 SM whenever i ride without ear plugs.

Confession: I haven't ridden my bike more than 5 minutes in a month and its summer here. Moving and associated crap has been taking up my time and now i have a little POS car i don't take the bike to work.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

I might buy the silencer for the exhaust, it's kind of obnoxious in quiet neighborhoods.

You in California? Compared to a Uly with a Jardine RT-1, that sounds polite!

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Some days I long for a quiet bike. both my SV and DRZ are super loud ignorant, also the sv blows smoke on hard launches.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpJ1ziu_U4w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpJ1ziu_U4w

Driving though tunnels makes up for it though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

YES!

Too bad we just got a foot of snow though :reject:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
:swoon: Is that as loud as it looks?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It has the quiet insert and the spark arrestor in right now, but Dave, the guy who makes them tossed in the open insert with it, so its probably not too loud right now, but can get pretty drat loud.

I really cant believe the quality. Completely hand-made, hand welded, and built by one guy and his sons. All for less than the cost of the FMF pipe for the DRZ.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
As someone who had a DRZ and was so-so on the power, how disappointing is the WR250x? I found one that's very clean, stock, for not a lot. It's tempting as the market for DRZ's has suddenly loving vanished here. In the span of a month there are only poo poo examples for sale.

I know the cycle will come around again, but in the meantime what do you guys think of this? Guy is asking 3700 for it with ~4k miles. No mods so it's basically new.

My only real concern is lack of power, although fuel economy and FI are much better than the DRZ.

Edit - No idea where that picture attachment went to... here you go:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've heard the two feel similar but that the DRZ is still quicker and torquier. I would argue that one shouldnt be worried abour such things whilst buying a supermoto, since they're all kinda slow.

The FI on the WR will definitely be better than the stock carb on the DRZ. The FCR on the DRZ will be better than the FI on the WR. If your main impetus is to not mess with fueling, the WR comes out ahead.

Its far from a bad bike, thats for sure.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Part of my reasoning on selling the DRZ was lack of power. In retrospect I should've just bored it out and bought an FCR but eh..

Any opinions on the price? I'd be lowballing him at around 3400 probably. If it had a pipe / fuel programmer on it already I'd probably be willing to go up a bit...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If you sold teh DRZ due to lack of power, definitely don't buy a WR250X.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

JP Money posted:

As someone who had a DRZ and was so-so on the power, how disappointing is the WR250x? I found one that's very clean, stock, for not a lot. It's tempting as the market for DRZ's has suddenly loving vanished here. In the span of a month there are only poo poo examples for sale.

I know the cycle will come around again, but in the meantime what do you guys think of this? Guy is asking 3700 for it with ~4k miles. No mods so it's basically new.

My only real concern is lack of power, although fuel economy and FI are much better than the DRZ.

Edit - No idea where that picture attachment went to... here you go:

It has less power than the DRZ, and delivers it much higher. You have to wring its neck. However, it is a vastly more refined motorcycle. It feels modern while the DRZ is just warmed-over 80s tech.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Z3n posted:

If you sold teh DRZ due to lack of power, definitely don't buy a WR250X.

This is my main concern really. People keep saying that once you throw on a fuel programmer and exhaust it's at DRZ levels (which is ok) but stock they're total dogs.

The guy doesn't seem to want to budge from 3700 so I'll probably pass on this one. There's another guy with a 2011 model with 2500 miles asking 4700... not sure I'd pay anywhere near that much for one though. That's getting deep into nice KTM money.

It's a shame that as soon as I get cash together all the good supermoto sales have passed...

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If you want power, get an STT

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I have 0 interest in ever owning a Buell. There are much, much nicer options available if you want the streetfighter type sumo and not the "dirtbike with lights" style sumo.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I think that anyone with a sumo should know the correct technique for riding over speedbumps and speed humps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU_yS850BDc

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I want to live where you live if the speedbumps are 2 feet tall.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

JP Money posted:

I want to live where you live if the speedbumps are 2 feet tall.

Doesn't hurt to make believe. Also yes. I wish.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I always just lifted the front end over nasty speed bumps. Or hopped onto the curb :haw:

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
How's the KTM 690 for distance riding? In terms of fatigue from high RPM on highway, or poor range, or butt pain from the seat.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

hayden. posted:

How's the KTM 690 for distance riding? In terms of fatigue from high RPM on highway, or poor range, or butt pain from the seat.

The seat is going to be your biggest complaint id guess. Depends on the model but my SM will comfortably get 300-350KM from a tank (13.5L). The SMC has a smaller tank (12L) but should get similar mileage. I've never managed to get to the end of a tank without having to get off and massage my sore/numb arse though. This is with the KTM ergo seat too.

You'll get additional fatigue from it being a naked, KTM do sell touring windshield (or if you've a SMC you could possibly adapt one of the rally-raid faring kits). But I've never tried this so can't comment.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Aargh posted:

You'll get additional fatigue from being naked

This is what I read, and I have to say I agree.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

This is what I read, and I have to say I agree.

Its more of a rash...

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Well, just as I thought the search was going poorly I got tipped off on this:

2005 DRZ400SM
3500 Miles
BT016 tires
FCR Carb
Yosh Slip on
3x3 Mod
Loctite fixes
Thumpertalk Case savers
Protaper bar mounts and tag bars
Zeta Handguards
TNT Headlight (still have stocker)
Stainless Front Brake Line
Title in Hand

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 17, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nice! If you buy it you beat my record for lowest mileage DRZ purchase.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

hayden. posted:

Range is fine. Seat is fine. Vibes are fine, just don't death grip the bars. If your bum hurts, wear padded bike shorts and take a few ibuprofen before your ride.

I think spiff has the record for one day rides with a 850 mile day, I did 1600 (800/500/300) miles in 3 days on it.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
850 miles in one day on a seat like that is the epitome of iron butt.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Nice! If you buy it you beat my record for lowest mileage DRZ purchase.

I'm pretty pumped - hopefully it works out. At that mileage/price it's hard to say no haha. Especially with the FCR already done. I'll probably buy a set of hotcams and a yosh header and call it a day.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Z3n posted:

I think spiff has the record for one day rides with a 850 mile day, I did 1600 (800/500/300) miles in 3 days on it.

Fffffffuuck! I've done 1000km in two days (650 on the first day). 850 miles - 1350km in one day is just insane. How long did that take? Allowing for rest stops and travelling near to a speed limit that's got to be 15 or 16 hours in the saddle. There's no way the last half would've been anywhere safe in regards to fatigue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Seattle to Bellingham to the east side (right up against Idaho), up in to Canada, then west to Vancouver then back down to Bham for the night. It was a monstrously long day, and like 105 degrees on the east side. One of the best rides I've ever been on though.

The most fatigue I experienced was actually my inner thighs from holding onto the bike all day. I'm 6'4" and can quite easily change positions on that bike and didn't find butt fatigue to be all that bad.

Sketchiest part was going through the mountain roads at night in Canada with signs warning of moose with the fuel light on and having just no idea where the next gas station was. Supermotos aren't known for their good headlights, fuel range or moose striking abilities. Good times.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 28, 2013

• Locked thread