Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

This game is going to loving own and I can't wait for the pre-load to start!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
I can't believe I forgot to mention this.

Last year Jason hooked up with a guy who makes metal scuptures to create something they call The Instrument.

It's a huge, multi-use sculpture Jason used to create the music from the game. Probably half the sounds in the game come from The Instrument, and the guy even made it so it could come apart into smaller pieces so Jason could take it into his studio if he wanted to. The thing is massive and quite cool. They shipped it out from North Carolina to California for a promotional event and he told me is cost about $8,000 to Fed Ex the drat thing.

The thing is quite cool in person and really fun to to play around with. The guy even made a little bow that looks like Lara's from the game that Jason could, well, bow it with :3:

Here's a link with some info about it and the video they made about Jason: http://www.fpsguru.com/game/351/article/2900/Tomb-Raider-The-Instrument.html

Rick Sanchez fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 27, 2013

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Hizawk posted:

This game is going to loving own and I can't wait for the pre-load to start!

Has there been any word on when that's happening? Last I heard was 'hopefully before the weekend.'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

No, the loving morons are in this thread getting their panties in a twist over death scenes just because the character is a young woman. It's okay to play murder simulators but heaven forbid if it's not a space marine white guy. Then it HAS to be misogynist, sexist, racist or whatever else.

Why is why the discussion has included Far Cry, Heart of Darkness, Batman, Uncharted and Dead Space?

Aside from the "young girl" guy the discussion has primarily been about realistic violence vs unrealistic violence and the lovely marketing vs what the actual game depicts. At worst people have said the marketing is lovely which... it is? Even the actual writer of the game said it was misrepresenting the game.

Paul Allen posted:

Last year Jason hooked up with a guy who makes metal scuptures to create something they call The Instrument.

It's a huge, multi-use sculpture Jason used to create the music from the game. Probably half the sounds in the game come from The Instrument, and the guy even made it so it could come apart into smaller pieces so Jason could take it into his studio if he wanted to. The thing is massive and quite cool. They shipped it out from North Carolina to California for a promotional event and he told me is cost about $8,000 to Fed Ex the drat thing.

Holy balls, that's awesome.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

AngryBooch posted:

I feel the death scenes are gratuitous and incongruous with the genre and would feel that way if Lara was a college age guy as well. I really wish there were a way to turn them off a la Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.

Also lol: You guys 'getting your panties in a twist' are the actual misogynists.
I don't think it would help given that even the cut scenes seem to have really gratuitous violence to them. Even without the lead character being female it seems like its a bit heavy handed.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Paul Allen posted:

I don't remember much of the music in Dead Space sadly, but this has got me pretty stoked to pick up the soundtrack for this. Thanks for sharing.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ZeeBoi posted:

This is why most games don't have a female lead: insufferable nerds complaining about misogyny, sexism, etc.

Get a life.
Phew. For a second, I thought it was because it was difficult for men to project their fantasies into a female character they play as. But nope, dumb nerds arguing is why.

Dan Didio posted:

I think the problem with Uncharted isn't that Drake kills a lot of people, it's that Drake kills a lot of people at once in ways that are pretty unbecoming, and tonally distant from, the archetype he belongs to.

You rarely see Indiana Jones sneaking up on a guy and breaking his neck, for example. It's hard to sell plucky wise-rear end when you also have to explain away the fact that technically, he's a murderer.
You know, this really bugs me. Why *isn't* this how we get the games to go? Why do bullets in games need to kill? Why do we need to reward headshots? These old adventuring flicks are what they try to play up to, but they seem bent on amping it up by making everything brutal and lethal. Wouldn't it be better to study what Indiana Jones did in movie X and have the player reenact his stunts instead?

Maybe that's me just thinking out loud.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
Am I the only person who really really liked Legend? I thought it was a fun parkor game with some cool plot twists and I liked the characterization they gave Laura Croft. I still go back and replay that game from time to time. The sequel (Underworld,) was absolutely horrible though. Angel of Darkness horrible. I don't know what they were thinking.

Just going by the marketing this new game doesn't look appealing at all.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Blastedhellscape posted:

Am I the only person who really really liked Legend? I thought it was a fun parkor game with some cool plot twists and I liked the characterization they gave Laura Croft.

I enjoyed it, but I thought all the current-gen Tomb Raider games were really bland and forgettable. I'm not really sad that they're not continuing in that vein.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I kinda liked all of them, mostly because I remembered how bad Tomb Raider used to be. After TR2, that is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

I enjoyed it, but I thought all the current-gen Tomb Raider games were really bland and forgettable. I'm not really sad that they're not continuing in that vein.

"Bland and forgettable" really describes the modern TR games to me. Uncharted captured their tone, if not their gameplay, way better.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Blastedhellscape posted:

Am I the only person who really really liked Legend? I thought it was a fun parkor game with some cool plot twists and I liked the characterization they gave Laura Croft. I still go back and replay that game from time to time. The sequel (Underworld,) was absolutely horrible though. Angel of Darkness horrible. I don't know what they were thinking.

Just going by the marketing this new game doesn't look appealing at all.

Personally, I completely agree with you. Legend was basically my Favorite Game Ever when it came out. Don't know why, it just clicked for me on some level. And Underworld just didn't click in the same way.

Mordaedil posted:

You know, this really bugs me. Why *isn't* this how we get the games to go? Why do bullets in games need to kill? Why do we need to reward headshots? These old adventuring flicks are what they try to play up to, but they seem bent on amping it up by making everything brutal and lethal. Wouldn't it be better to study what Indiana Jones did in movie X and have the player reenact his stunts instead?

Maybe that's me just thinking out loud.

This I agree with as well. Personally, I've just shot way too many things in video games. It's boring to me now, and I keep hoping they'll move on to whatever the Next Big Thing is, but then we just seem to keep on lining up reticles on headshots in games over and over again. I'd love to see a game that does all the cool stunt stuff from an action movie without just resorting to third person cover shooter stuff. Really, I quite enjoyed Heavy Rain for that; even though the story and all that was crap, I keep hoping somebody else will take those ideas and expand on them, but it doesn't seem to have caught on like I hoped it would.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 27, 2013

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I found Anniversary to be the best of the bunch but that is no doubt nostalgia influenced. I'm not sure I agree with the parkour comment on Legend but I side more with Underworld with how expansive the puzzles feel.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

Personally, I completely agree with you. Legend was basically my Favorite Game Ever when it came out. Don't know why, it just clicked for me on some level. And Underworld just didn't click in the same way.

After reading this and being utterly perplexed that someone would describe Legend as their favorite game ever, I went to purchase it to refresh my memory and found that apparently only Underworld and Anniversary are available on Games on Demand.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

After reading this and being utterly perplexed that someone would describe Legend as their favorite game ever, I went to purchase it to refresh my memory and found that apparently only Underworld and Anniversary are available on Games on Demand.

I will completely admit that a significant part of my enjoyment comes from the fact that I freakin' love collectible customization options. Something about that game just hit me right, is all; difficulty lent itself well to just chilling out and exploring tombs, there was enough collectibles and unlockables to keep me replaying it, and the whole Croft Manor level was like a great adventure game mixed with a fully explorable environment. Honestly, they could've made a whole video game out of just running around the manor and finding hidden switches to unlock new rooms and secrets and I'd have played that poo poo for months.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I just wish Keeley Hawes had been Lara for a more consistent series of games.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dan Didio posted:

I wonder if it's a regional thing, because Legend is on sale for 5 dollars right now in the US via GOD.

:australia:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

DrNutt posted:

I wonder if it's a regional thing, because Legend is on sale for 5 dollars right now in the US via GOD.

:australia:

Man, I can't find it. Though, I've long since learned that not being able to find something doesn't mean it's not on the Xbox marketplace.

Oh, wow, there was a HD re-release of Silent Hill 3? Sweet.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

Man, I can't find it. Though, I've long since learned that not being able to find something doesn't mean it's not on the Xbox marketplace.

Look in that Ultimate Sale section, it's on page 3. I don't know that, because I certainly didn't just rebuy Tomb Raider Legend.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

Look in that Ultimate Sale section, it's on page 3.

Sales are not things that exist in Australia.

EDIT: Tomb Raider: Legend is not available on Games on Demand in Australia. Confirmed. It's just too hardcore a series, clearly. The Violence has always been an issue. That's that settled.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

It is very bad. You don't want to pay money for it. (The port, not the game.)

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It is very bad. You don't want to pay money for it. (The port, not the game.)

This has been a day of me learning that Games on Demand was more dissapointing than I ever could have imagined.

Kind of loving wierd to remember that Legend came out in 2006. That's loving nuts. Was Keeley Hawes a name at that point? When did Spooks become 'big'?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

It's worth noting that this game was written by Rhianna Pratchett. I can't remember the last triple AAA game written by a lady, female protagonist or not. Maybe that's because the industry is in a weird place though in terms of how important writing is though.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

It's worth noting that this game was written by Rhianna Pratchett. I can't remember the last triple AAA game written by a lady, female protagonist or not.

Gears of War 3.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

Gears of War 3.

That's a very short list.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Lord Lambeth posted:

It's worth noting that this game was written by Rhianna Pratchett. I can't remember the last triple AAA game written by a lady, female protagonist or not. Maybe that's because the industry is in a weird place though in terms of how important writing is though.

Mirror's Edge, also written by Rhianna Pratchett. It's really too bad that the old Sierra cadre [Lori Ann Cole, Roberta Williams, and Jane Jensen] have minimal influence in the industry anymore.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

That's a very short list.

Just the first one to spring to mind. Amy Hennig had a fairly large role in making the Uncharted series what it is as head writer and creative director. Mirror's Edge, as mentioned above, is a Rhianna Pratchett joint. It's also what I bought in lieu of Tomb Raider: Legend and is easily one of the best games of this console generation, despite the opinion of crazy idiots who should never be listened to.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ZeeBoi posted:

No, the loving morons are in this thread getting their panties in a twist over death scenes just because the character is a young woman. It's okay to play murder simulators but heaven forbid if it's not a space marine white guy. Then it HAS to be misogynist, sexist, racist or whatever else.

See, not to sound like a broken record here but if the "space marine white guy" was presented as young, scared and completely brutalized in the advertising I'd be similarly uncomfortable. I'm retching at some of the stuff in Dead Space*, wincing like hell in Resident Evil 4 and really, really goddamn reluctant to watch any of the death montages for The Walking Dead because of how brutal they are - thing is these games didn't constantly - constantly - push their protagonists as developing purely because of this stuff. Dead Space had, what, a trailer emphasizing the brutality you'd be facing but it was in the context of hyping up the monsters and "CUT OFF THEIR LIMBS" not "hey guys you might wanna protect and coddle this person".

Even the Punisher, a game where you were actively rewarded for murdering people in violent ways, cut away due some of the executions that would have just been pointlessly macabre.

* EYE POKE

edit; I'm reminded of a similar issue coming up with Saint's Row 3. The game is hugely over the top with its violence, swearing and general atmosphere - you kill people with a giant purple dildo for god's sake - but one mission involved you "rescuing" a group of prostitutes who were implied to have been beaten and enslaved. Up until that point the hoes and pimps thing had been treated in such a stupid way it was funny, but the sudden change of tone and focus was really jarring.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 27, 2013

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Dan Didio posted:

Just the first one to spring to mind. Amy Hennig had a fairly large role in making the Uncharted series what it is as head writer and creative director. Mirror's Edge, as mentioned above, is a Rhianna Pratchett joint. It's also what I bought in lieu of Tomb Raider: Legend and is easily one of the best games of this console generation, despite the opinion of crazy idiots who should never be listened to.

I, too, love Mirror's Edge, though I'm hesitant to say it was "one of the best games of this console generation", that poo poo had some pretty major flaws, and pretty much all of them were at the end of the game, which sours the whole last impression of it. It is really good, by and large, if rough around the edges.

I liked the story in Mirror's Edge, if only because it was fairly unobtrusive and didn't do anything really dumb. It didn't do anything really EXCITING either, but nothing dumb. I do sort of wish there was more...to it. Like, you never see the evil government really being evil to anyone but you--and there wasn't really a very good villain either, the bad guy you encounter is sort of just...there? And then there's a traitor. Then there's the bad guy! Then you win! Somehow! Yeah, everything's fixed now, have your credits!

...Mirror's Edge sort of falls apart in the last two hours, I think is what I'm saying here.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Mirror's edge is an amazing game, but purely kinaesthetically. The story is forgettable. I have yet to play a game that Rhianna pratchett wrote for where I would say the writing was actually "good.

I suspect this is partly reflective of studio restrictions and subject matter as much as anything else, but I haven't seen any evidence of anything jaw-dropping from her yet.

Also, Dan I very much agree RE: keeley hawes. She was fantastic, and had near flawless elocution. The new girl reminds me of the terrible girls who went to the various private schools for girls and sounded faintly brainless.

I'm also sad they dropped troels folmann, the composer for the Legend and Anniversary soundtrack, as he had a fantastically wide range of influences. I am sure jason graves will do a good job, though!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

SurrealityCheck posted:

Also, Dan I very much agree RE: keeley hawes. She was fantastic, and had near flawless elocution.

She perfectly flits between upper and middle class, somehow. Kind of a shame that the Tomb Raider games I like the least had the best Lara Croft, but I see what they're trying to do with the new Lara, I don't much mind the voice, either, I think it fits with what they're going for.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

She perfectly flits between upper and middle class, somehow.

She was born with a middle-lower London accent and had elocution lessons. It's why her consonants are so precise and why she doesn't do any upper-class slur.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

poptart_fairy posted:

See, not to sound like a broken record here but if the "space marine white guy" was presented as young, scared and completely brutalized in the advertising I'd be similarly uncomfortable.
What if he was being sodomized by Buck from Far Cry 3?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I really hope Square Enix and Eidos have a sense of humor and put in Silly Bonus Outfits for Lara. I just want to look silly while bashing dudes faces in with a rock, like Mike Tyson but with the fashion sense of Saint's Row 3. :colbert:

Also include an Aerith costume, it would fit perfectly with the game. :black101:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

coyo7e posted:

What if he was being sodomized by Buck from Far Cry 3?

Oh jesus christ how did I forget about that. :wtc:

I'm still unsure what to think about that one. On one hand it was a huge departure from what I'm normally accustomed to in games - i.e. men being threatened with rape, especially such a threat that's carried out - but I'm wondering if it's comparable. Maybe being a side character lessened its impact, I couldn't say.

e; just to elaborate for anyone who hasn't played Far Cry 3: there's a mercenary bad guy in the game who you have to work with for a time to get to one of your kidnapped friends. Initially he cracks wise about being "nice" to said friend, but it becomes very clear he's actually raping him - the guy is a complete wreck when you eventually rescue him, and begs that you keep quiet about what's been done to him. It doesn't come up again in the course of the storyline, but the fact it was there left a huge :stare: on my face.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 28, 2013

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou
Wondering how much forced stealth is gonna be in this game. The trailer I saw was weird. All of the marketing has been weird.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lady blue shanghai posted:

Wondering how much forced stealth is gonna be in this game. The trailer I saw was weird. All of the marketing has been weird.

I think everyone can agree that TR's marketing is a complete clusterfuck.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Jeff Gerstmann dubbed it one of the top twenty video game marketing/interview cycle clusterfucks and that's probably accurate.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

It was cumbersome for me in the end. But I'd love to see a sequel, both because it tried something new and it was pretty short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I'd pay big money for a mirrors edge sequel that also included some sweet first-person-melee action like in Zeno Clash.

Seriously Mirrors Edge kicked so much rear end and it's amazing that there hasn't been a sequel.

• Locked thread