Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Blackula69 posted:

selling false hope to people like John Edward (or Edwards for that matter) Is pretty shameful but you can't knock the hustle

yes you can

gently caress him and gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
anyone whos dumb enough to think theres an afterlife and ghosts and that you can talk to them if you pay a guy money deserves to have it taken.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Shaggar posted:

anyone whos dumb enough to think theres an afterlife and ghosts and that you can talk to them if you pay a guy money deserves to have it taken.

internet_athiests.txt

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Modulo the smug he's right tho

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Dr. Honked posted:

how about a version of that but the music is not on the cd's at all, there's just stickers on the cd's with qr codes that are read by a phone that sits in a dock nearby. the qr code opens the spotify page for that album or whatever. i don't know how spotify works.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i fuckin' wish ghosts were real, that would be rad as hell

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Modulo the smug he's right tho

no, he isn't

people don't act rationally when it comes to death, and they especially don't act rationally when it comes to the death of their loved ones. taking advantage of that irrationality for personal gain is ethically abhorrent because you are literally profiting from human emotional suffering

you might be able to ethically justify selling people harmless magic geegaws that they can use to reinforce their own private delusions (which includes $50,000 audio cables), but that talking-to-the-dead-for-money poo poo is on the same level as selling somebody fake antibiotics. you've got somebody desperate for help and in response you're actively harming them to line your own pockets

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
is it harming them if u tell them their dead relative is at peace and everything is ok. asking for a friend

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Heresiarch posted:

no, he isn't

people don't act rationally when it comes to death, and they especially don't act rationally when it comes to the death of their loved ones. taking advantage of that irrationality for personal gain is ethically abhorrent because you are literally profiting from human emotional suffering

you might be able to ethically justify selling people harmless magic geegaws that they can use to reinforce their own private delusions (which includes $50,000 audio cables), but that talking-to-the-dead-for-money poo poo is on the same level as selling somebody fake antibiotics. you've got somebody desperate for help and in response you're actively harming them to line your own pockets

theres dudes who do the psychic stuff and try to convince people to take real solutions to things actually. i think thats p ok because lord knows a regular psychic wont tell them anything useful and they'll keep seeking them out regardless.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Milkie Galore posted:

is it harming them if u tell them their dead relative is at peace and everything is ok. asking for a friend

the first part is a truism: everybody who is dead is at peace

the second is a lie: the relative who asked the question is obviously not okay or they wouldn't be asking those kinds of questions. they need a different kind of help and telling them that I just spoke to their dead husband and he says that he loves her and is with Jesus now does not actually loving address any problems that this poor woman obviously has. she's just going to take that horrible trauma and bury it somewhere because a perceived authority figure told her "everything is ok", and therefore whatever she must feel must be wrong, her fault somehow

i hate these people more than you can imagine

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
id like john edwards or someone like him once, just once look someone straight in the eye and tell them your mother is burning in hell forever and there's nothing you can do about it

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

um if my loved ones died i'd be real distraught but i wouldn't immediately become a moron and throw my money at magical undead crystals. if you do that you were an idiot beforehand and i guess i understand your argument but its really tough to pity that sort of behavior unless you straight up have a mental illness like schizophrenia

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Socracheese posted:

um if my loved ones died i'd be real distraught but i wouldn't immediately become a moron and throw my money at magical undead crystals. if you do that you were an idiot beforehand and i guess i understand your argument but its really tough to pity that sort of behavior unless you straight up have a mental illness like schizophrenia

i guarantee that there's somebody out there who's smarter than you (or me for that matter). your argument suggests that you would not complain if that person actively harmed you for their own personal gain, because of a failure of your own judgement

it's not really any different from getting assaulted physically for your wallet because your assailant was stronger than you. preying on the intellectually weak is ethically exactly the same, it's just that the latter is considered a feature of capitalism and therefore most people on the internet have grown up with it as normal behavior

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Socracheese posted:

hard to pity people whose family died?

i'm not going to do it but I can understand why it makes them weird

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Socracheese posted:

a silly post

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

no, he isn't

these people had those delusions before their loved ones died. its not anywhere close to selling fake anti-biotics. its selling faith to the faithful.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Shaggar posted:

these people had those delusions before their loved ones died. its not anywhere close to selling fake anti-biotics. its selling faith to the faithful.

being really good at selling snake oil doesn't make it a noble profession

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
Some serious victim blaming here. Always punish the wicked. Like satan: he always punishing the wicked.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

how exactly is taking advantage of idiots unethical

the whole contact the dead thing i kinda see but selling chunks of plexiglass as 'aura refinement prisms' seems like the only ones would buy are those who want to get taken for a ride anyway

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
be somebody or be somebodys fool

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

you loving idiots

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

look, it was obvious that i pissed in a bottle, added some cocaine, and made up all that stuff about it being a vitalizing testicle rub that cures cancer. the only people who would buy that are going to be taken for a ride anyway.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

anyway, as i was saying, simply succuss your mixture until the water takes on the memory of the Oil of Python (which has been found to alleviate tooth-worm, rot of vigor, and malodorous digitation),

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

lf owns

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

welcome to the republican party

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

duTrieux. posted:

anyway, as i was saying, simply succuss your mixture until the water takes on the memory of the Oil of Python (which has been found to alleviate tooth-worm, rot of vigor, and malodorous digitation),

can I use oil of php instead?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

same thing

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

but really, blaming the victim because they lack perfect information is just dumb rational actor austrian economics, gj ayn

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

ok i agree that selling dumb poo poo to idiots is unethical but if we're gonna ban everything that falls under this category we'd have to ban literally about 1/3 of all items sold

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Socracheese posted:

ok i agree that selling dumb poo poo to idiots is unethical but if we're gonna ban everything that falls under this category we'd have to ban literally about 1/3 of all items sold

how is that a bad thing

lets do it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
smash capitalism

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
selling dumb poo poo to idiots transfers wealth away from idiots which is a good thing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

but it transfers them to assholes which is a bad thing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the only assholes are the idiots who let themselves get fleeced

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Shaggar posted:

selling dumb poo poo to idiots transfers wealth away from idiots which is a good thing.

yeah and think of all the value my advanced crystal r&d would have on the astrology community at large

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shaggar posted:

the only assholes are the idiots who let themselves get fleeced

theyre only idiots because bigger assholes destroyed the school systems

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah teachers are assholes

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

shaggarjectovism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
atlas shagged

• Locked thread